Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Traits that didn't pass on?

Hi all. Okay so I noticed that Blood Elves crack jokes on other Horde races in a demeaning racist way yet I don't see Void Elves do the same with any Alliance races, so I am wondering, why is this so, what's the missing blank loophole here, why don't the Void Elves have rude jokes that Blood Elves have? Technically they should bear similar views yet they don't? Did the void change their point of perspectives too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Alliance are a little more sensitive to being called bad names, horde have thicker skin, so would just elbow punch a blood elf and laugh about it.
    #boycottchina

Because Alliance aren't primitive savages or rotting corpses, so there's less to laugh at. Also might not be the best idea to openly laugh at the people willing to take them in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by gurutikka View Post
    Hi all. Okay so I noticed that Blood Elves crack jokes on other Horde races in a demeaning racist way yet I don't see Void Elves do the same with any Alliance races, so I am wondering, why is this so, what's the missing blank loophole here, why don't the Void Elves have rude jokes that Blood Elves have? Technically they should bear similar views yet they don't? Did the void change their point of perspectives too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Alliance are a little more sensitive to being called bad names, horde have thicker skin, so would just elbow punch a blood elf and laugh about it.
    Because when you're treated like the plague, kicked out of your homeland, and nearly become raving loons to serve as cannon fodder for a dark higher power, it really humbles a person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The Void Elves aren't exactly trusted even among the Alliance - they're needed, but there's a lot a critical side-eye coming from the high number of Alliance races who embrace the Light on a social level. It probably wouldn't be a great idea for the Void Elves to crack racist jokes and the like in such a situation. The Blood Elves, in their case, had quite a bit more pride and quite a bit of a stronger tie to the Horde than the Void Elves enjoy with the Alliance - the social rift is also apparently not as vast.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Because Alliance aren't primitive savages or rotting corpses, so there's less to laugh at. Also might not be the best idea to openly laugh at the people willing to take them in.
    You're describing the exact thing the Horde did for the Blood Elves, though? Without the Forsaken's aid, they might not have been able to take care of the remaining scourge in the Ghostlands, even if they did, the Amani would have surely been able to reclaim their land after.

Not just that, the Night Elves are part of the reason the Blood Elves didn't join the Alliance to begin with, just like Draenei aren't too happy with Blood Elves, somehow they're all fine and dandy once they start using void magic though.

Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    You're describing the exact thing the Horde did for the Blood Elves, though? Without the Forsaken's aid, they might not have been able to take care of the remaining scourge in the Ghostlands, even if they did, the Amani would have surely been able to reclaim their land after.

Not just that, the Night Elves are part of the reason the Blood Elves didn't join the Alliance to begin with, just like Draenei aren't too happy with Blood Elves, somehow they're all fine and dandy once they start using void magic though.
    Ah, this topic is clearly super serious. I see.

Not really the same though, though you'll never hear me argue that the VElves weren't a lazy asspull. Under what passes for their story though, they had nowhere else to go, are supposedly a very small group, and are barely trusted, so I can understand Blizz making them swallow their usual BElf arrogance temporarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Because the void elves didn't have nearly enough thought put into them for anything about them to make any sense, obviously.

Because that sort of negativity doesn't fly on the Lawful Good side.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    Because that sort of negativity doesn't fly on the Lawful Good side.
    Indeed. Their newfound closeness to the Holy Boiking redeemed VEs of any previous flaw they might have had as BEs.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Amidst a faction with such a focus on light quite frankly they're just happy not being smited every time they enter Stormwind.

Not the Dark Iron dwarves though, they don't give an elf's ass.

"AT LEAST ME MOUNTAIN CAN'T BURN DOWN!"
    "...what? Too soon?"

I noticed that too, and I think it's actually a really neat distinction. I kinda attributed it to a few details considering VEs and the Alliance.

1. Umbric's foray into the void and subsequent repercussions are literally worn on his face no matter where he goes. He was tainted by his own desire for discovery and power, and there are hints in his dialog that he was a bit humbled by the experience. Basically, they got knocked down a peg.
    I mean hell, they don't even have a true home at this point. They live in a freaking void out in space. It's hard to be proud when your people are essentially homeless and exiled.

2. The Alliance is filled with races that had earned the respect of the high elves in the past. They saw humans as allies worthy of respect due to how quickly they could learn arcane magic, and while yes high elves were still a bit snooty they definitely had a different kind of relationship with the Alliance than they do with the Horde. The Horde are filled with savage races who live a simple lifestyle, it makes sense they'd look down upon them far more.

3. The Alliance doesn't exactly care for them. There are hints around the starting experience and stormwind itself that void elves aren't exactly being welcomed with open arms, more like tolerated because of Alleria. Umbric and the void elves as a whole seem to have a desire to prove themselves to the Alliance.

4. A big thing that Alleria seems to be teaching the void elves is control through showing and expressing no powerful emotions. She mentioned as such in the unlocking quest, and then you can see in the void elf players' emotes for both male and female that they almost never change voice inflection from neutrality, kind of hinting that they're constantly battling for control over their emotions. Being haughty and self-absorbed may not even be an option with the constant struggle in their minds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Quote Originally Posted by gurutikka View Post
    The Alliance isn't the primitive savages the Horde is, who can't take insults. They are more sophisticated, and don't take insults too serious.

It takes a special kind of person to become a void elf. There might be some correlation between the use of void magic and not being a pretentious jerk. An alternative theory is that the Alliance did them a favor by accepting them after their exile and they don't want to seem ungrateful.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    -Yarma

Quote Originally Posted by Kraddark View Post
    It takes a special kind of person to become a void elf. There might be some correlation between the use of void magic and not being a pretentious jerk. An alternative theory is that the Alliance did them a favor by accepting them after their exile and they don't want to seem ungrateful.
    pretty sure they're still pretentious jerks...

pretentious jerks that gave up huts to live on a rock... and they don't even have huts anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    The dark irons have a black humor joke about Teldrassil and I think the LF makes fun of the human toes with a monkey comparasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Because Blizz made the horde 'evil' and destroyed the family ties or 'fire forged friends' feel it used to have.
    Twas brillig

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because Void Elves don't feel the need to be rude towards the Alliance as they aren't the Faction of Trash Monkey Races.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Because Void Elves don't feel the need to be rude towards the Alliance as they aren't the Faction of Trash Monkey Races.
    What do you mean trash monkey races? Explain.
    Horde always.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    woah. Are you saying orcs are monkeys? That's racist.