Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Phantasy Star Online 2 finally, OFFICIALLY, releases in the west.

https://nichegamer.com/2019/06/09/ph...t-on-xbox-one/

Sega and Microsoft have announced a western release for Phantasy Star Online 2.

The long-running MMORPG is heading to North America in spring 2020 for Windows PC and Xbox One. Featured above, you can view the announcement trailer for the game.

The press release does not mention a European release, nor the PS Vita, Switch, or PlayStation 4 versions.

Here’s a rundown on the game:

• All stories and content, and especially the fan-favorite epic battles with their huge number of enemies, will be included in this free-to-play release. Stay tuned for more details!
    • “What is Phantasy Star Online 2?”
    • Join the Spectacular Experience of a “Never-ending Quest” and “The Highest Level Action”!
    • Players of Phantasy Star Online 2 become a member of a research expedition called “Arks,” which belong to a fleet of interplanetary cruising ships, setting out to a research a variety of different planets. Visiting places for the mission (quest) always evolves into a fresh and surprising adventure, including auto-generated maps, sudden events, and a Multiplayer Party Area, where up to 12 players can play together simultaneously.
    • Each planet and quest is an encounter with different characters and battles with enemies. Its easy control systems allow for intense exhilaration in battles as well as highly strategic and customizable actions.
    • Gigantic boss enemies are also waiting for their time to challenge you with their towering body that covers the whole screen. Team up with other players against epic bosses!
    • Create Your Own Character with the Ultimate “Character Creation”!
    • Phantasy Star Online 2 lets players create their own characters in an easy and intuitive way with the “Character Creation” system.
    • Not only costumes, hairstyles, accessories, but also the height, body shape, and moreover, the length and thickness of arms and legs, can be customized with a morphing feature for unlimited customization and design combination.
    • Free to Download and Play the Game!
    • The entire game will be made available as a free-to-play experience for players on Xbox One. There will be no limitations on game experiences such as Class Level cap or direct purchase of high-tier weapons because we want to provide all players with a fair and exciting experience.
    So here it is. Finally. Soooo... Is it going to do well?

If people who already play on the Japanese servers can continue to play in this version then I know a lot of people that will be happy.

Edit: Uh, I probably should have specified North America in the title...

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/06/09/ph...t-on-xbox-one/

So here it is. Finally. Soooo... Is it going to do well?

If people who already play on the Japanese servers can continue to play in this version then I know a lot of people that will be happy.

Edit: Uh, I probably should have specified North America in the title...
    Probably going to do awful if I'm being serious here... it's like 7 years too late and the release is far too limited. PS4 would have let it see some light maybe, but Xbox one and most likely PC will not be enough only in in NA

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll give it another go with better latency this time around. It does get tiring playing multiple MMOs though. That's why I axed Tera, BnS, and GW2 from my MMO SSD.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Probably going to do awful if I'm being serious here... it's like 7 years too late and the release is far too limited. PS4 would have let it see some light maybe, but Xbox one and most likely PC will not be enough only in in NA
    That certainly is weird. The question is did Microsoft pay for exclusivity or did Sony just not want it?

I don't care since I play on PC but it is going to limit profits for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ooooo I played a lot of the old PSO episode 1&2 game on xbox as a kid! Too bad I don't have an xbox one.

edit: I'm dumb, it's for PC too. Neat, I may look into it then.
    Last edited by Izalla; 2019-06-10 at 02:46 AM.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

That certainly is weird. The question is did Microsoft pay for exclusivity or did Sony just not want it?

I don't care since I play on PC but it is going to limit profits for sure.
    From what I've heard Sega was shopping for publishers for a while but their demands were pretty crazy, so none of the usual MMO publishers wanted to touch it. I guess they finally found a willing partner in Microsoft, so I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft got platform exclusivity out of the deal.

Either way I'm happy it's finally coming. Now Remilia can stop harassing me with screenshots constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    From what I've heard Sega was shopping for publishers for a while but their demands were pretty crazy, so none of the usual MMO publishers wanted to touch it. I guess they finally found a willing partner in Microsoft, so I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft got platform exclusivity out of the deal.

Either way I'm happy it's finally coming. Now Remilia can stop harassing me with screenshots constantly.
    I guess that makes sense.

I would have been significantly more excited 3-4 years ago though.

Probably part of the reason it was so hard for them to find a western publisher, they waited too long. It's already hard enough for Eastern MMOs to break into the western market without that issue.

10+ Year Old Account

PSO2 is already on PS4, PS Vita, and Switch... so........ It's only the western release, which I'd assume no one wants to touch. There's a lot of legal problems too. The amount of collab and ties in is insane for PSO2. Monster Hunter, Kono Suba, FFXIV, Frame Arm Girls (don't abbreviate that), Madoka Magica, Nier Automata, Vocaloid, and so on. Chances are all of those will be axed unless Microsoft or Sega wants to have fun with licensing in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    WOW! That game looks like garbage for boasting a 2020 date. :-/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    WOW! That game looks like garbage for boasting a 2020 date. :-/
    It's a game from 2012, so....

I mean... he's not wrong though, it looks like they've done next to zero graphical updates in those 7 years and even then it looks dated for 2012.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean... he's not wrong though, it looks like they've done next to zero graphical updates in those 7 years and even then it looks dated for 2012.
    Probably not, then again I don't really care about the graphics nor is the game supposed to be a graphics power house.

Probably not, then again I don't really care about the graphics nor is the game supposed to be a graphics power house.
    Still, hard to attract new players in the NA region if your game looks like a PS3 launch game :S

It's not like they couldn't have updated a smidge, look how far wow has come graphically.

Oh, I totally get that. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Still, hard to attract new players in the NA region if your game looks like a PS3 launch game :S

It's not like they couldn't have updated a smidge, look how far wow has come graphically.
    Well, this is one of the new boss.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlE3pbJEEls
    I don't really record in high quality, so judge it as you will for graphics.

And GUNDAMS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-fKPsUua5Y
    Don't think any of us knew what we were doing since that was release week.

- - - Updated - - -

Also warning, if you're looking for a hard game, this isn't it.

Well, this is one of the new boss.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlE3pbJEEls
    I don't really record in high quality, so judge it as you will for graphics.

And GUNDAMS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-fKPsUua5Y
    Don't think any of us knew what we were doing since that was release week.

- - - Updated - - -

Also warning, if you're looking for a hard game, this isn't it.
    Animations are spot on though, I'll probably give it a shot on PC

5+ Year Old Account
    I've only ever heard of the game in passing. Only because a few people mentioned there was a one sided collaboration event with FFXIV.

I really liked what Wildstar could have been for scratching my itch for sci-fi aesthetics but that crashed and burned. I doubt this game would lure me astray from FFXIV though. No mention of a European release and if there's a region lock I just have no interest at all.

With both FFXIV and Overwatch I can switch regions on the fly and play with friends in the US and EU as needed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ima be so happy to wake up early in the morning with my mocha coffee and raisin bran muffin and just relax and play this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    I've only ever heard of the game in passing. Only because a few people mentioned there was a one sided collaboration event with FFXIV.

I really liked what Wildstar could have been for scratching my itch for sci-fi aesthetics but that crashed and burned. I doubt this game would lure me astray from FFXIV though. No mention of a European release and if there's a region lock I just have no interest at all.

With both FFXIV and Overwatch I can switch regions on the fly and play with friends in the US and EU as needed.
    They basically ported the Odin fight into PSO2. All the skills are the same even having the highlighted ground markers for AOEs. The event is over so you only rarely see Odin pop up either as a random encounter in the zone or sometimes you get a ?????? portal at the end that can get you into an Odin fight. The portal encounter or the event encounter leads you to a FFXIV zone.