Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

This expansion is full of gold sinks with no way to make gold

So I'm sure this is news to nobody but basically there's been a huge inflation in cost for various things, vendor mounts for example now cost hundreds of thousands or millions of gold, and there's literally no way to make that kind of money in battle for azeroth. Nothing is worth anything. Gathering profs are worth nothing because the auction house is flooded with mats already, leveling a char 110-120 and selling everything along the way nets you maybe 2k at best, the gold from the mission table is absolute trash, etc. The only way to make gold now really is to be in a guild that sells mythic runs, being someone who spends all their time working the AH, or buying game tokens. The majority of people sitting on massive reserves of gold made it in legion and if you didn't make a ton of gold in legion you're kinda just shit out of luck.

I'm not saying everyone should be able to afford a 5 million dollar mount but there's literally no way for an average player to make anywhere near that, even these 90k rep mounts are out of reach for most people. It's beginning to parallel the irl economy at this point lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish they'd bring back crafted legendaries. Blacksmithing was actually useful for a short time!

Nerfing gold was probably a good thing, but it was a little excessive.

You start your title with "no way to make gold", then list 3 ways how to do exactly that.
    Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    The only way to make gold now really is to be in a guild that sells mythic runs, being someone who spends all their time working the AH, or buying game tokens.
    But yes, you need to find something you're GOOD at in order to sell the service to order people and make gold, it's been like this for ages. (And prices for said services only follow the gold inflation so they were higher in WoD/Legion).

And there's plenty of ways to provide boosting content without being in a 20-men mythic guild:
    * Mythic+ dungeon boosts (these weill generally even give you a higher gold income than raids if you do them efficiently)
    * Leveling boosts
    * PvP rating or Conquest Cap boosts
    * Island AP cap boosts

Just because you choose to not do any of these does not mean there is "no way to make gold".

one half screams how there's to much gold in the game and when they try to remove it, it's bad too.

I disagree. Yes, gold does not flow like in past expansions, but I’m still able to get gold by playing. With my main alone, I have around 200,000g more than I started BfA with, despite buying several ~200,000g mounts in the AH. I may have gotten close to 1M gold since BfA started. I just focus on gold missions, gold world quests and paragon chests (worth ~4,000g each), with ocasional use of AH to sell mats and runes.

I also do the same with two other alts, but not to the same extent.
    Whatever...

I make ~40k gold with 6-7h of old content raid clearruns.
    Running garrison for savage blood and sumptuous fur with a couple clicks and 1h per char per month for cages.
    Selling crafted mounts and gear on the AH.

If you once again expect to get handed out 5k gold per day and char just through missions tables get used to token price and prices in general to double if not triple over time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    one half screams how there's to much gold in the game and when they try to remove it, it's bad too.
    No. It's bad to remove the gold AND put mounts that cost millions. Even with all the money I had in Legion thanks to my armies of alts I skipped on the Lightforged Mount because it was way too much money. In BfA I stopped even making enough money to buy tokens, let alone buy the Might Caravansaur of Bruteness or whatsitcalled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Solo old raids (WoD and before). Each WoD raid can be ran 3 times (4 if you count LFR), and drops ~1-2k gold (depending on weapon drops) per run. MoP is a bit lower (Only SoO can be ran 4 times, the other 5 can only be ran twice), with SoO/ToT giving ~1k per run (Far more if you get one of the rare pets), and the first 3 giving roughly 500 (Somewhat more depending on server if you get the more common pets).

Cata and down gives ~500 gold per raid. Of course, more if you get any pets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    I make ~40k gold with 6-7h of old content raid clearruns.
    That's what I earned for one round of log ins during Legion without having to do anything. Now I don't want to advocate that play style because I know that doing nothing and getting rewards is a bad model, but if you have to run old content to get money, it only enforces the idea that the current expansion provides no means to get richer.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Solo old raids (WoD and before). Each WoD raid can be ran 3 times (4 if you count LFR), and drops ~1-2k gold (depending on weapon drops) per run. MoP is a bit lower (Only SoO can be ran 4 times, the other 5 can only be ran twice), with SoO/ToT giving ~1k per run (Far more if you get one of the rare pets), and the first 3 giving roughly 500 (Somewhat more depending on server if you get the more common pets).

Cata and down gives ~500 gold per raid. Of course, more if you get any pets.
    These values couldn't be more wrong.

There's plenty of ways to make gold, just like any other expansion. Garrison/Class Hall missions and WQs were not the only way to make gold and gold grinding has existed long before them and continues to exist after them, free source of gold like those was a mistake to have in the game in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    That's what I earned for one round of log ins during Legion without having to do anything. Now I don't want to advocate that play style because I know that doing nothing and getting rewards is a bad model, but if you have to run old content to get money, it only enforces the idea that the current expansion provides no means to get richer.
    You want the economy to get flooded with cheap handouts again? Put effort into it, otherwise you shouldn't get anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    the problem is you cant remove it from people who have it and arent spending it so now the economy is completely fucked up cuz it's based on the expectation that every player has like 5 million gold lying around so if you werent around to make that in legion it's extremely difficult to get to that point and it's out of reach for a typical player

Quote Originally Posted by Goge View Post
    You start your title with "no way to make gold", then list 3 ways how to do exactly that.

But yes, you need to find something you're GOOD at in order to sell the service to order people and make gold, it's been like this for ages. (And prices for said services only follow the gold inflation so they were higher in WoD/Legion).

And there's plenty of ways to provide boosting content without being in a 20-men mythic guild:
    * Mythic+ dungeon boosts (these weill generally even give you a higher gold income than raids if you do them efficiently)
    * Leveling boosts
    * PvP rating or Conquest Cap boosts
    * Island AP cap boosts

Just because you choose to not do any of these does not mean there is "no way to make gold".
    dont be obtuse, never in this game's history has a casual player been expected to sell carries and boosts to make a little bit of gold

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    There's plenty of ways to make gold, just like any other expansion. Garrison/Class Hall missions and WQs were not the only way to make gold and gold grinding has existed long before them and continues to exist after them, free source of gold like those was a mistake to have in the game in the first place.
    I would agree that it was a mistake to have it in the first place but the problem is it once existed, a lot of people profited from it, and now those who weren't able to because they weren't subbed or didn't focus on it or whatever can't catch up

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If you can’t make 90k then your just not trying. I’ve made over 200k with pretty much no effect though selling gems I’ve collected passively and island drops I’ve collected passively. Then there’s easy gold to be had by doing old raids which take no time at all. Good isn’t hard to get if you are actively trying you should have no problem getting most mounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    You want the economy to get flooded with cheap handouts again? Put effort into it, otherwise you shouldn't get anything.
    I literally just said I don't want to advocate for the passive income. I would be content with ways to generate a profit even if that required effort, but my professions are useless and the most reliable thing I can do is, as others pointed out, go run old content for money.
    And even if I had millions, they would be barely enough to afford a mount. So there's a veeery low drive to put the effort in anyway.

Carrying people through content shouldnt be THE main source of revenue. Professions should be a major economic force in any MMO, I dont know how Blizzard screwed that up so badly but here we are.

There are super easy ways to make millions of gold but none that people will share because if everyone knew them they wouldnt work
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Just play the game. You can easily passively make a gew thousand a week just playing the game. If you are actively trying to make gold that ramps up much faster. The people in a bit of a crunch are the ones that raid mythic and grind out m+ and don't sell runs. The potion cost alone can break the bank. I know while progressing a raid night was about 70k in mats and if you are really pushing keys they can easily be worse, which is why some sell runs. The good news there those people buying up mats fund others and the wheel keeps on spinning.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I suspect you're not making this claim, however, gold making isn't nor should it be restricted to the current expansion, as we all know very well.

Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    dont be obtuse, never in this game's history has a casual player been expected to sell carries and boosts to make a little bit of gold
    Then i don't know what to tell you, you expect to not do any "meaningful/current" endgame content, yet still expect to make enough passive gold to buy every single gold sink mount in the game?

As others have said, if you really cba to do any max level 120 content, see if you can do some garrison stuff or crafting stuff, do old raids, etc