Quote Originally Posted by Darleth View Post
    Impale does nothing for you though if you use viper strike. Viper Strike is mostly chaos damage, while Impale scales off of PHYSICAL damage. You should be better off with using any chaos damage increase. Also, if you go for curses, I'd take a look at Despair. It's a pretty decent curse that increases Chaos damage and over time effects.
    Ok, makes sense. Though at this point i'm confused about how damage conversion works - specifically in which order various effects apply. VS is a phisical hit with 60% chaos conversion (and a small flat chaos dmg). I was taught to focus on +phys nodes in the tree because they would increase the base damage of the strike thus increasing both the converted damage and poison application because the bonus of the nodes was applied BEFORE the chaos dmg conversion.

In this case, you're telling me that the curse and Impale effects apply AFTER the damage conversion, thus scaling obviously way worse because instead of the base damage only the smaller physical part counts.

It's not an issue, i'm still lvl 50 and can adjust everything (i didn't even take the nodes in the tree for impale); also, given this, what should i go with Herald? I'm currently running Agony because of the synergy, but i was thinking if Purity was better for the base physical damage (again, does it apply before or after the VS damage conversion?).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zerker Cyclone is insanity.

Now I just need to save up 10 exalts and get the 2h Starforge sword. /cry
    Last edited by Beazy; 2019-06-10 at 01:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you plan to generate endurance charges? Also, you can save A LOT of points, since you are taking a really weird path and a lot of nodes that are pretty useless to take. Not sure about crimson dance in the long run, BUT according to PoB you would lose around half your bleed DPS with it taken. You also want a high dps foil later on, which means you will need a ton of dexterity, which you simply dont have. Do you have a plan for auras and heralds, aswell as summons? Do you think that Bladestorm will be enough singletarget dps carried with bleeds? Are you planning on running any curses for extra damage/utility?

Personally, I would build something like this. But I'm also not an expert on shield/bleed builds, especially not with the new skills.

The way I built it, you still have around 155%~ increased max life, which for Softcore is more than enough. Not sure about the gear you would want.
    Endurance Charges would be built through the nodes in the tree, teo which generate when hit, and one which generates on kill. If they prove to be insufficient. I’ll use Enduring Cry.

Out of interest, which nodes do you consider “useless”?

Worth noting: IIRC, PoB doesn’t model Crimson Dance correctly. It shows the 50% damage loss, but doesn’t account for the stacks. So what you’re seeing there is the damage for ONE stack. On bosses etc, I will have EIGHT.

Yeah. I believe you need 212 Dex to use the highest foils, so I’m about 100 short. I figure I could either sink more points intonthe tree to life not, or get it on gear, which is risky.

Aura: Blood and Sand, Pride.
    Heralds: Not sure, as of yet. Probably not though.
    Summons: No.

I was worried about Bloodstorm not being strong enough, single target... but I was hoping bleeds would balance that out.

Thanks for the advice, and the build!

EDIT: Okay, had a quick look at the build you posted. While I DO like the idea of fucking off up to the right, to get a bit more dex... You left the two + endurance charge nodes, but took OUT all three of the nodes which were (hopefully) going to be generating charges for me, so it seems a little pointless to have them, now.

Which actually brings up a question I had before, but forgot to ask. There are a few nodes which give "chance on hit to generate endurace charges"...

Does that work with block? Before if it DOESN'T, then it seems vaguely pointless to take them on a build which is aiming for Block Cap...
    Last edited by Gallahadd; 2019-06-10 at 03:56 PM.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets just say, i have never leveled faster than when i picked up Flicker Strike at 38....holy balls. Currently 78, and running dual wield flicker and loving it. Clearing legion packs is just fun as hell. A bit squishy but the next 10ish levels will fix that greatly, and i will immediately get tankier when i replace my Tabula. Would highly recommend playing flicker if you have not before. I don't use Term Est or Oro or Frenzy and literally have no charge issues at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Endurance Charges would be built through the nodes in the tree, teo which generate when hit, and one which generates on kill. If they prove to be insufficient. I’ll use Enduring Cry.

Worth noting: IIRC, PoB doesn’t model Crimson Dance correctly. It shows the 50% damage loss, but doesn’t account for the stacks. So what you’re seeing there is the damage for ONE stack. On bosses etc, I will have EIGHT.

Yeah. I believe you need 212 Dex to use the highest foils, so I’m about 100 short. I figure I could either sink more points intonthe tree to life not, or get it on gear, which is risky.

I was worried about Bloodstorm not being strong enough, single target... but I was hoping bleeds would balance that out.

EDIT: Okay, had a quick look at the build you posted. While I DO like the idea of fucking off up to the right, to get a bit more dex... You left the two + endurance charge nodes, but took OUT all three of the nodes which were (hopefully) going to be generating charges for me, so it seems a little pointless to have them, now.

Which actually brings up a question I had before, but forgot to ask. There are a few nodes which give "chance on hit to generate endurace charges"...

Does that work with block? Before if it DOESN'T, then it seems vaguely pointless to take them on a build which is aiming for Block Cap...
    Can you use leap slam? cause if so link it with faster attacks fortify and Endurance charges on Stun. That provides all my charges for endurance.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Ok, makes sense. Though at this point i'm confused about how damage conversion works - specifically in which order various effects apply. VS is a phisical hit with 60% chaos conversion (and a small flat chaos dmg). I was taught to focus on +phys nodes in the tree because they would increase the base damage of the strike thus increasing both the converted damage and poison application because the bonus of the nodes was applied BEFORE the chaos dmg conversion.

In this case, you're telling me that the curse and Impale effects apply AFTER the damage conversion, thus scaling obviously way worse because instead of the base damage only the smaller physical part counts.

It's not an issue, i'm still lvl 50 and can adjust everything (i didn't even take the nodes in the tree for impale); also, given this, what should i go with Herald? I'm currently running Agony because of the synergy, but i was thinking if Purity was better for the base physical damage (again, does it apply before or after the VS damage conversion?).
    Physical Conversion to chaos is okay. Impale on the other hand isn't a "conversion", it is reflected damage that takes the PURE PHYSICAL PART of your attack and puts it on an enemy, which is why pure physical builds work better with Impale. Since chaos isn't a "physical" effect so to speak, but a whole other damage type, it won't add anything to your impales. Taking physical nodes to increase the chaos damage is fine.

Agony is fine. Purity should increase your overall physical damage numbers, and then some of the damage gained should in turn get converted into chaos damage again. I need to put that into PoB to see what would net you higher DPS because I'm not sure about the gains of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post

Easiest way to generate charges imo would be using Enduring Cry. Discipline of the Unyielding, which you took, is a 5% chance just to GAIN a single charge, while enduring cry would instantly put you at a higher number with a single press of a button near enemies. I personally don't think it is worth taking this node, simply because you have to invest a lot to gain a tiny increase of 15% (25% with the endurance charges I took, 30% with the node taken) extra damage. You can get more damage from other sources.

I thought I remembered something like that about crimson dance. You can take that into the build again then, either removing the Weapon Artistry or the Finesse node in the ranger part of the tree that I took (I'd probably remove the finesse node). You took a lot of nodes between the marauder and duelist tree, resulting in you taking double the effort to path the same way; even with your own tree you could have saved around 3 - 4 passive points in total. Inexorable imo isn't that great of a node, simply because you have to stand still for the effect - you never want to stay still for a long period, especially not with a skill like Bladestorm that is an AoE effect that persists after using it, allowing you to move freely.

Thing with your tree simply is, if you want to use a high dps foil later on, you need the extra dex. Your build had both intelligence AND dexterity missing by a LOT. It is a lot easier to focus on getting intelligence via gear instead of 2 stats at once - that would make gearing an absolute nightmare and you would potentially miss out on another suffix which would net you more dps/survivability.

Blood and Sand and Pride would provide you with, let me lie, 40% mana left unreserved. That means you could still take War Banner, Herald of Purity or Dread Banner to increase your potential damage. Herald of Purity especially would give you access to curse on hit setups, which you can use to either boost your damage or survivability (Vulnerability OR Enfeeble for example).
    About the other question you asked: I dont think it is intelligent to get endurance charges when getting hit. Even with a lot of armour etc. you wouldn't want to get hit that often on later maps, depending on map mods etc. Something like shaper/elder especially, you wouldn't want to get hit at all. You also have to think about it this way: every time you get hit, just to gain endurance charges, you run the risk of getting potentially oneshotted or extremly low life. Is that a trade off you would WANT to make, just to get a bit more "defensive stats" up?
    If I remember correctly, if you WERE to use nodes like that, they should be working fine with block, since whenever you are blocking damage, it means you got hit. The only difference there would be, that you didn't take damage.

Edit: I missed bloodwulfs suggestion, which is a REALLY good way to get endurance charges aswell. Leap Slam linked with fortify, faster attacks and endurance charges on stun should be working great. Shield Charge would work the same.
    Last edited by Darleth; 2019-06-10 at 04:51 PM.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: I missed bloodwulfs suggestion, which is a REALLY good way to get endurance charges aswell. Leap Slam linked with fortify, faster attacks and endurance charges on stun should be working great. Shield Charge would work the same.
    I run it with my Flicker strike setup, though i have dropped fortify off the leap slam and put it on flicker strike cause i am using that more consistently. I am still shuffling gems around trying to figure out my full build, need a 6link chest pretty badly, right now just entering red tier with a tabula and while i do the damage, i run a serious one shot risk.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, since Fortify now actually gives a pretty decent boost to damage, I was considering it on my Blood Nova, tbh... Then I could have Leap Slam/FA/Charge and get everything needed that way.

As for your other points: Yeah, fair enough! I think I'll probably end up running a build very similar to what you posted, plus Crimson Dance.

I was looking at Herald of Purity. I ran it this league on my double striker and really fell in love with the skill... I do really like the idea of having Purity plus curse on hit and Enfeeble. Seems a fairly easy and effcient way to keep up curses. Until you hit curse immune mobs, anyway...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I am beginning to see the Lag that Edge was talking about.

I am only on Act 6 but when I release about 40-50 Legion mobs the game starts getting twitchy. It also happens when I happen to be on a mob slaughter going non stop killing things all over the place.

So it seems like me crashing left and right was due to an outdated AMD driver for my GPU. I guess they don't give you an alert when there's a new one or something? Didn't see any popups or anything on the icon on my taskbar (nvidia would show a little symbol if there was an update), so it wasn't until I remembered to check that I noticed that there were new drivers. Played a bit and no crashing afterwards, so hopefully that at least deals with my frequent crashing. Fucking infuriating to crash during a load screen halfway through my damn merc labs, and with some good dark shrines too.

I know its the melee patch but man do I love my ED/contagion build, it's pretty damn ridiculous with the league mechanic and fast leveling/clears.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2524001

Bunch of fixes coming, including for legion/load screen crashing.

And it sounds like they're making legion icons more visible, which will be great.

Already found two exalted. This is a good league. Just wish I found a decent unique. In Betrayal I found Inpulsa's way early and made 5 ex.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2019-06-11 at 01:13 AM.

Physical Conversion to chaos is okay. Impale on the other hand isn't a "conversion", it is reflected damage that takes the PURE PHYSICAL PART of your attack and puts it on an enemy, which is why pure physical builds work better with Impale. Since chaos isn't a "physical" effect so to speak, but a whole other damage type, it won't add anything to your impales. Taking physical nodes to increase the chaos damage is fine.

Agony is fine. Purity should increase your overall physical damage numbers, and then some of the damage gained should in turn get converted into chaos damage again. I need to put that into PoB to see what would net you higher DPS because I'm not sure about the gains of both.
    Ok, now that's clear. I swapped the Impale support for Void Something (the one that gives you +chaos -elemental) but i also like Lesser Poison since the buff. I plan to stick Fortify to it and i'm swapping between melee splash for clearing and multistrike for bosses.

Strange that i can use CoH with Purity but not with Agony. The spider thing is really strong and i'm constantly 30+ charges since i spread poison like a madman.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hi, could use some advice if you feel like helping.

So, I've returned after a long spell of absence and am looking to update the Tornado shot to 3.7 standards.
    I used this guide: https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/tor...nd-build-guide
    Page to characterbuild: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/...awn/characters

A couple of questions:

1) Can I use Wrath in an item with a single socket? (Currently it's in a ring) Or is it better to have it in a linked item as it says in 4.6?
    2) How does Vaal Haste/Grace work while the guide has three gems that reserve mana? Wrath (50%), Herald of Ice (25%) and Vaal Haste/Grace (50%)?
    3) Still haven't figured out how you disable the auto gem leveling.
    4) Is it normal to see the archer do most of the damage? Since mana is really on the low end I can't spam attacks. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I'd appreciate any help or advice you can give.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyoftheforest View Post
    Hi, could use some advice if you feel like helping.

So, I've returned after a long spell of absence and am looking to update the Tornado shot to 3.7 standards.
    I used this guide: https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/tor...nd-build-guide
    Page to characterbuild: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/...awn/characters

A couple of questions:

1) Can I use Wrath in an item with a single socket? (Currently it's in a ring) Or is it better to have it in a linked item as it says in 4.6?
    2) How does Vaal Haste/Grace work while the guide has three gems that reserve mana? Wrath (50%), Herald of Ice (25%) and Vaal Haste/Grace (50%)?
    4) Is it normal to see the archer do most of the damage? Since mana is really on the low end I can't spam attacks. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I'd appreciate any help or advice you can give.
    1) Yes. Wrath is an aura and interacts with only a very small set of support gems (like Enlighten listed in the guide which would reduce its mana reserved).
    2)The guide specifically talks about the Vaal part of the skill because it is a short term buff that doesn't reserve mana. You ignore the normal skill.
    3)try google
    4)donno, don't play bows.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Not the best guy for build suggestions/mechanics (as i'm learning more and more) but for this is pretty easy.

You cannot "automatically" stop gems from leveling - though you can simply not level them. Once they capped the xp for the level and the + icon shows, you can just not click on it (or right click it to hide it from the right side on the screen) and it doesn't level up until you click again. You can keep a gem to lvl 1 indefinitely if you want.

Not the best guy for build suggestions/mechanics (as i'm learning more and more) but for this is pretty easy.

You cannot "automatically" stop gems from leveling - though you can simply not level them. Once they capped the xp for the level and the + icon shows, you can just not click on it (or right click it to hide it from the right side on the screen) and it doesn't level up until you click again. You can keep a gem to lvl 1 indefinitely if you want.
    Console works differently.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

That's actually something I wish I could set. If there's a gem I dont want to level, I don't want to see it on the UI at all. And there have been times I've accidentally clicked a gem I don't want to level because of impatience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    That's actually something I wish I could set. If there's a gem I dont want to level, I don't want to see it on the UI at all. And there have been times I've accidentally clicked a gem I don't want to level because of impatience.
    If you do the right click thing it will hide the gem and won't prompt you again

As for myself I'm playing Infernal Blow/Herald of Ash Jug this season to begin with and it's unbelievably satisfying to watch the screen explode, only into tier 4 maps at the moment as didn't start until Saturday lunchtime but having a blast.

Struggling to clear the Legion shards though compared to some builds so think I might switch it up to some huge aoe thing, though not sure what to run.

Other questions were answered, about this:

You either need to have points in a talent that says "0.5% damage leeched as mana" etc., or items that have "gain 2 mana per each enemy hit", numbers not accurate but that are the 2 most common ways of solving mana problems on attack based builds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Console works differently.
    Wait what console doesn't let you dismiss the gem ready to level up thing? On pc you can just right click any unwanted gem (for example I use rank 1 precision for less mana reserve) and it goes to the bottom of inventory tray, doesn't stay forever on screen.