Poll: Tier sets again, yay or nay

Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Should they bring back tier sets after BfA?

Simple enough, yes or no? It's not likely to happen during BfA, but would you want to see the return of tier sets (and class-specific sets) with 9.0? Feel free to specify why/why not as well, the more constructive, the better.

I would like to see them return because they were a better system than Azerite armor. In my opinion. I also believe that new classes such as Demon Hunters and any added in the future deserve to get class-specific sets to their name. Raid environment themed sets sound good on paper but haven't, in my opinion, been realized to the level they could have been. They could've added 2 sets for each raid and armor type, for example.

Edit: The result became even more clear cut than I had thought. Gonna be linking this thread whenever giving feedback about this topic, others could also do it if they so please!

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Seeing as azerite armor is unlikely to survive into 9.0 it makes sense that tier sets will make a return.
    Here's hoping, another worst case scenario would be that they'd double down and keep iterating on the system rather than realizing that they had a good thing going with tier sets + the Artifact system of Legion for max level gearing progression.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-06-11 at 03:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, yes, and so much more yes. Big mistake removing them in my opinion. I don't care if you have to hire a costco sized army full of artists. Do it.

A big part of RPG's, including WoW, is class identity. To bundle that into 'armor type identity' was a mistake.
    Kepano the Awakened (Main - Resto Shaman)
    Kepana the Seeker (Alt - Druid)

Seeing as azerite armor is unlikely to survive into 9.0 it makes sense that tier sets will make a return.

They should bring back WOW after BFA.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I hope they do. I understand the reason for removing them, especially after Legion which was a bit restrictive due to the Leggo system. But the same problem will still apply: people will get upgrades, say from M+, which they can't equip otherwise they break tier set. so unless they make it that you can save up some sort of currency to upgrade the tier set so that it is still viable or something similar then yeah I dunno.

See im puzzled, i love the customizaton of azerite, but i wish it was more a choice between 2 instead of all these, and that way they can introduce new ones every teir, instead of frontload, then we have those same ones the entire expac, cause the only difference with azerite and teir is you have a choice, and its front loaded. aswell as system things like unlocking, and not changing on spec...

yes

/10 char

Yes. Easy reason why; it kept people raiding current tier longer.

AZerite just doesn’t do it for me like a food 4p did

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Haahha nice.

Please, yes. Tier sets gave me motivation to raid. Azerite Armor does not, and is truly boring.

*looks around*

Nope, still WoW. The systems making the game better can be brought back though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Knowing about new class tier sets every new patch was a thing I always looked forward to. Now it's just meh :c

An expansion concept based on K'aresh
    #TeamK'aresh #TeamWorldRevamp

I guess.. for those who really gauge their experiences as a series of "sets".

Whoop.

No ... But who cares at this point anyways.

I'd rather have Warcraft 2 1.x at this point. Collections are an incredible waste of .. everything. Lets just start over, with an actual game to play and enjoy.

Not this collection Bullishit to simulate an RPG experience.

If you spend all day to "better" yourself via collections, then I feel safe to say, you missed the original intent of this MMORPG.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2019-06-10 at 11:57 PM.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I voted no, but it's a qualified no.

I think Class sets present two problems:

1) A ton of art budget used up for something relatively few players will actually see. Now I get that people like to cry huge salty rivers about how they don't think the way BfA has used the freed-up art budget well enough, but I feel like it's a bit clueless, because the reason it hasn't been great has nothing to do with class sets, and everything to do with the decision to scale back how extreme WoW was beginning to look, which was actually a common player demand, and them not doing it very well. I would argue the more "extreme" look was actually working for WoW.

I guarantee if we had class sets, tons of people would be absolutely bawling about how awful they were and how Blizz fucked them in arse and so on, because every time there are class sets, that happens. It's some bears shit in the woods stuff.

2) The set bonus mechanics associated with them are extremely problematic, and present issues in how they interact with other parts of the game.

I'd sooner see the art budget devoted to them than see traditional set bonus mechanics come back. I don't think those are good, interesting, or work well, and all they really do is cause ridiculous balance swings which suddenly make a class extremely OP or near-worthless mid-expansion. That's shit.

So if they come up with an alternative to the set bonus mechanics, I don't mind them coming back, but I will say, everyone who asks for them back should be forced to sign a waiver where they forfeit all rights to ever complain about how their class set makes them look like a turkey swallowing a pumpkin or whatever.
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2019-06-10 at 11:50 PM.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    If you spend all day to "better" yourself via collections, then I feel safe to say, you missed the original intent of this MMORPG.
    I strongly suspect most people most extremely obsessed with class sets were not here in Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    I strongly suspect most people most extremely obsessed with class sets were not here in Vanilla.
    It's become an obsession .. do you disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post

1) A ton of art budget used up for something relatively few players will actually see.
    Yeah I know right. Better put that art budget into warfronts instead.

7+ Year Old Account
    i had a nice wee chuckle at this

and i agree

- - - Updated - - -

i want to see sets back, but more than anything i want to see azerite armour the fuck outta here.

i sometimes consider getting back into retail when i see some fun streams and that, but then i remember azerite and my boner for retail becomes flaccid real fucking fast

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Yeah I know right. Better put that art budget into warfronts instead.
    Pretty sure this does indeed end up with more people having gear with unique art, so... /shrug. I dunno. I like the Warfront sets we've seen so far.