Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I haven't priced revolvers in a while, but last I did, that looked like a ballpark figure, glocks are great, but I have personally had them jam, not my personal, but testing out and firing if they get use especially some older generations they can.

Cleaning and maintenance is always important with any kind of automatic or semi automatic. That is just my experience.

However with whatever the OP I think practice, getting comfortable with carrying and getting good muscle memory and lots, and lots and lots of practice, is the smartest. In my experience.
    Some good advice and Glocks are good firearms. Not questioning that. And as a side note tied to our price discussion, was in a store today which sells firearms and they had the Smith & Wesson pistols ( semi-auto) SD9VE ( 9mm ) or the SD40VE ( 40 cal. ) on sale for $289. Normal price is $319.99.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Do you see many home burglars coming with shotguns and ar’s? Never.

That said, I have a 12 gauge and a 357. Someone can break in, but they won’t be getting out.
    I wouldn't say never. I have seen videos showing armed robbers, with shotguns. And in a gun fight, a rifle or shot gun, would be my first line of defense if I had the choice. Rifle if distance was a factor. Handguns are more convenient. And since in Ohio you can only carry a handgun concealed ( even then only with a license ), if I have to use one for self defense outside of my home, it will be with a handgun.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

a lot of shooting ranges will let you rent a gun and try them out, see which type you are most comfortable with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    How big of a shoot out do you plan on getting in?
    I once read, the average number of rounds fired in a self defense scenario is 2 -3.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    What do you guys think about revolvers vs a semi auto pistol? On one hand the revolvers don't jam but semi autos can hold more rounds can can be reloaded much quicker. Which do you guys choose for defense?
    Automatics have more rounds but can jam revolvers cant jam but your normally limited to 6 rounds. The positives and negatives of both average them out so just pick what you are most comfortable with.

In most situations the fight is over before shots are even fired even if shots are fired you rarely fire more than a few.

I use a 357 colt king cobra with speed loaders.

The intimidation factor alone should end a fight before it starts. In the off chance it doesn't I load it with some nasty rounds. Thats another thing to consider is what round you use cause they can make a major difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Some good advice and Glocks are good firearms. Not questioning that. And as a side note tied to our price discussion, was in a store today which sells firearms and they had the Smith & Wesson pistols ( semi-auto) SD9VE ( 9mm ) or the SD40VE ( 40 cal. ) on sale for $289. Normal price is $319.99.
    Not giving advice just sharing my experience, I can't tell someone else what they should do. I'm also not being paid. I haven't priced revolvers in a while, as far as hand guns are concerned I stand by what I said. Semi Auto Cheap are never good.

But much like a used car, I if you know what you are doing, that knowledge may lend to cutting cost others can't realize the same way. However I would not buy say in MY opinion, a loved one, a semi automatic that was cheap, and they were just learning, the very very basics I think are important.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

One of the craziest things I heard a while back was someone carrying 4 mags for a Glock 17. (wtf do you need all that ammo for?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Not giving advice just sharing my experience, I can't tell someone else what they should do. I'm also not being paid. I haven't priced revolvers in a while, as far as hand guns are concerned I stand by what I said. Semi Auto Cheap are never good.

But much like a used car, I if you know what you are doing, that knowledge may lend to cutting cost others can't realize the same way. However I would not buy say in MY opinion, a loved one, a semi automatic that was cheap, and they were just learning, the very very basics I think are important.
    Which can be advice. hehe. And no, you can't, but they can make a decision based on your opinion or suggestions. I would not consider any modern well made firearm cheap as long as it was not a Saturday night special for 50 bucks. Some firearms are just cheaper. Does not mean they are not good.

I am still looking for a Phoenix Arms .22 cal semi-auto I would like to carry in a pocket holster in my pockets while I am working outside here. The normal price for them is $129. But they have a some pretty good reviews. Would I use it as my first choice for home defense and conceal carry? Of course not. But for one which could be used in a emergency out here and I am not concerned about it getting banged up, they are a good choice.

And I would not suggest it for a first time buyer or would buy it for my wife. She likes the Ruger LCPII and shoots it very well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Automatics have more rounds but can jam revolvers cant jam but your normally limited to 6 rounds.
    The chances of you jamming your average Glock is somewhere between zero and none, unless you have been keeping the damn thing a bucket of water and haven't cleaned it since 1997.

Pistol malfunctions are usually caused by one of 3 things.

1, You bought a cheap piece of shit, like bottom of the barrel Chinese knock off or one of those crappy strange guns coming out of the 80's, or some 40 year old surplus. Buy a Glock or CZ or if you have money to throw around an HK or FN.
    2, You have been firing strange load ammo. Crappy Sudanese or whatnot surplus imports, weird handloads or some dumb shit like that and you haven't cleaned your firearm after. If you buy standard commercial off the shelf ammo, especially in a 9mm the chances of a missfire or jam are basically zero.
    3, You fucking fiddled with the gun, trying to be all tacticool, you did shit to it, that is fucking with its proper function.

If revolvers would be meaningfully more reliable than pistols the military would have never switched to pistols. Your standard 1911 will be as reliable as any revolver on the market, modern pistols like Glocks are practically idiot proof.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    One of the craziest things I heard a while back was someone carrying 4 mags for a Glock 17. (wtf do you need all that ammo for?)
    Zombie invasion of course. lol! But on a serous note, carrying a extra magazine is not a bad idea. However odds are extremely low, you will ever need the extra rounds. But strange shit does happen. Even if it is rare. I would never carry more than one extra magazine myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which can be advice. hehe. And no, you can't, but they can make a decision based on your opinion or suggestions. I would not consider any modern well made firearm cheap as long as it was not a Saturday night special for 50 bucks. Some firearms are just cheaper. Does not mean they are not good.

I am still looking for a Phoenix Arms .22 cal semi-auto I would like to carry in a pocket holster in my pockets while I am working outside here. The normal price for them is $129. But they have a some pretty good reviews. Would I use it as my first choice for home defense and conceal carry? Of course not. But for one which could be used in a emergency out here and I am not concerned about it getting banged up, they are a good choice.

And I would not suggest it for a first time buyer or would buy it for my wife. She likes the Ruger LCPII and shoots it very well too.
    Me giving you my opinion, based on my experience, isn't advice, it's information, taken or left.

Advice is me telling you my opinion and exactly what to do, see my advice isn't worthless nor free, and if I tell you what to do, then I personally am putting my reputation and word on the line as such my advice is valuable, if I tell you what to do it is going to work.

This isn't any kind of directive, sure there is my personal experience, but that is all it is. Same when it comes to any topic. Someone wants my advice they better be paying me a premium or I love and care about them like family

This OT is someone asking what they should do, I am simply giving my opinion, frankly as much as I know about the OP or anybody here, none here would want or use my advice.

Personally I have been on both sides of this, I have been shot and shot at, I have also been shooting and shot another human being. I take guns very very seriously, because I know what they can do, and I felt it.

A cheap anything comes with the understanding of what it is you are paying for. Nothing is free, there is always a trade some where. In my experience you buy cheap Semi Autos jamming and misfires can happen a lot.

However NO firearm even the best and brand new if you don't clean and maintain is going to work without problems.

Glocks previous generations are great because you can do so much, break them down, take them apart, get familiar with what you may need to replace or calibrate. However if you buy something cheap, you might not know what state you are buying, unless it's brand new, and even then it's going to be more expensive vs something previously owned.

I am going to train and help teach my fiance this Fall for example, I would start her off with a revolver, something good and solid, something she is mostly comfortable with shooting and caring, and target practicing with.

I also have some of my other guns I will move her up to, but I wouldn't do any of that until she has the right mindset, developed muscle memory, became used to it like a 2nd nature.

If it was my son or daughter, because of age and lack of experience, this is the same thing, the only difference is with my fiance she can advance sooner vs say a teenager.

There are also some physiological things I feel are personally important also. A gun is to kill a human being period, and guns aren't toys or for flash, and if you pull one or use it you shoot to kill.

The reason that is also important has to do with not only the kind of firearm Revolver vs Semi Auto, but if you have as much experience you know damn well aiming is a lot harder than on TV and movies, PEOPLE MISS A LOT. I would even say people mostly miss especially when they have no training.

However if a bullet enters your body it's going to kill, some sooner than others say less medical intervention or something else.

So yeah a Revolver is going to be your best for beginning IN MY OPINION, size weight etc that is going to be important. If you are going to commit take it seriously, and get comfortable with it.

Nothing also worse than someone with a conceal carry permit who could have saved themselves, that didn't do any of the above what I said, and got themselves killed, or had an accident.

Again my opinion, others do things differently.

10+ Year Old Account

Its not crazy just look at what happened in this officer shoot out.
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2019-06-11 at 01:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly because most people miss, not joking, most people can't aim for shit. Even when they are mildly proficiency hitting certain targets are not easy. Again it's not like movies.

Biggest reason is lack of experience, muscle memory, and nerves. It's all well and good to play Clint Eastwood that is until you realize someone else has a gun and they will indeed kill you if they shoot and don't miss.

Doubt worry confusion will go through your head even if you are trained and experienced. If i had to place bets on a country farm boy who was raised hunting and learning about guns, vs some common average city dweller, my bet is going to be on the country boy.

I say that as a city dweller most of my life. You really have to be in the right frame of mind and practice a lot.

If you see someone with a gun and that many mags they are.

Either a shit shot, or trying to look cool. Also more bullets means a higher probability of jamming especially if you have shitty hardware or it's not properly maintained, the biggest issues is going to be heat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Me giving you my opinion, based on my experience, isn't advice, it's information, taken or left.

Advice is me telling you my opinion and exactly what to do, see my advice isn't worthless nor free, and if I tell you what to do, then I personally am putting my reputation and word on the line as such my advice is valuable, if I tell you what to do it is going to work.

This isn't any kind of directive, sure there is my personal experience, but that is all it is. Same when it comes to any topic. Someone wants my advice they better be paying me a premium or I love and care about them like family

This OT is someone asking what they should do, I am simply giving my opinion, frankly as much as I know about the OP or anybody here, none here would want or use my advice.

Personally I have been on both sides of this, I have been shot and shot at, I have also been shooting and shot another human being. I take guns very very seriously, because I know what they can do, and I felt it.

A cheap anything comes with the understanding of what it is you are paying for. Nothing is free, there is always a trade some where. In my experience you buy cheap Semi Autos jamming and misfires can happen a lot.

However NO firearm even the best and brand new if you don't clean and maintain is going to work without problems.

Glocks previous generations are great because you can do so much, break them down, take them apart, get familiar with what you may need to replace or calibrate. However if you buy something cheap, you might not know what state you are buying, unless it's brand new, and even then it's going to be more expensive vs something previously owned.

I am going to train and help teach my fiance this Fall for example, I would start her off with a revolver, something good and solid, something she is mostly comfortable with shooting and caring, and target practicing with.

I also have some of my other guns I will move her up to, but I wouldn't do any of that until she has the right mindset, developed muscle memory, became used to it like a 2nd nature.

If it was my son or daughter, because of age and lack of experience, this is the same thing, the only difference is with my fiance she can advance sooner vs say a teenager.

There are also some physiological things I feel are personally important also. A gun is to kill a human being period, and guns aren't toys or for flash, and if you pull one or use it you shoot to kill.

The reason that is also important has to do with not only the kind of firearm Revolver vs Semi Auto, but if you have as much experience you know damn well aiming is a lot harder than on TV and movies, PEOPLE MISS A LOT. I would even say people mostly miss especially when they have no training.

However if a bullet enters your body it's going to kill, some sooner than others say less medical intervention or something else.

So yeah a Revolver is going to be your best for beginning IN MY OPINION, size weight etc that is going to be important. If you are going to commit take it seriously, and get comfortable with it.

Nothing also worse than someone with a conceal carry permit who could have saved themselves, that didn't do any of the above what I said, and got themselves killed, or had an accident.

Again my opinion, others do things differently.
    We would be just talking in a circle to continue any discussion on what is advice. So best to leave it as we both said.

The Ruger EC9s does make some adjustments to keep it's price competitive. It has fixed sites, rather than ones you can adjust. That would be important if you want to practice a lot on round placement, which is important also of course. But that feature of itself, does not make it a bad choice for a self defense firearm. My LCPII does not have adjustable sites. I do not consider it a handicap, as I am efficient enough with it to feel confident it will do the job if I should ever need it to.

Some firearms will cost more due primary to cosmetic reasons only. The finish of the metal, grips, etc. And more expensive does not necessary mean a firearm is better for a given purpose. A example of this would be the comparison of the EAA Vindicator .357 Mag revolver ( $275- $300 ) versus the Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag revolver ( $500 - $700 ). I have shot them both a lot. Is there any practical advantage of the Ruger over the cheaper EAA? Nope. The warranty might be if something was to go wrong. But nether of them has ever failed to perform as needed.

Each type of firearm will have it's advantages and disadvantages. It is a personal choice depending on what you want it for, how much you can afford and desire.

10+ Year Old Account
    We would be just talking in a circle to continue any discussion on what is advice. So best to leave it as we both said.

The Ruger EC9s does make some adjustments to keep it's price competitive. It has fixed sites, rather than ones you can adjust. That would be important if you want to practice a lot on round placement, which is important also of course. But that feature of itself, does not make it a bad choice for a self defense firearm. My LCPII does not have adjustable sites. I do not consider it a handicap, as I am efficient enough with it to feel confident it will do the job if I should ever need it to.

Some firearms will cost more due primary to cosmetic reasons only. The finish of the metal, grips, etc. And more expensive does not necessary mean a firearm is better for a given purpose. A example of this would be the comparison of the EAA Vindicator .357 Mag revolver ( $275- $300 ) versus the Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag revolver ( $500 - $700 ). I have shot them both a lot. Is there any practical advantage of the Ruger over the cheaper EAA? Nope. The warranty might be if something was to go wrong. But nether of them has ever failed to perform as needed.

Each type of firearm will have it's advantages and disadvantages. It is a personal choice depending on what you want it for, how much you can afford and desire.

Well true and that makes sense from a practical point of view, I think most available arms are going to behave like military grade weapons. Which is why in this thread we have people talking about rounds and what not.

I would disagree with you on a .22 in any event. I would at least go with a .357 or .380. No adjustments needed for a revolver, as to making adjustments, I AM NOT the guy to do that :P

I mean I have my limits, and that would be one of them.

But getting back into this, if a person is starting out make the investment, get a revolver, and learn to shoot and get comfortable first, everything else will get easier in terms of handguns some there.

As to the more specifics.

You COULD go cheaper, and you round out some very important details, the thing is though, in a real situation, you don't need a lot of bullets, you need to aim skilled up and comfortable.

A handgun isn't going to war they aren't really made for long term firing to the point where it's too much of an issue the way some describe.

I think TV where someone just lets one off and fires constantly without it jamming without wear is silly and no a cheap gun is well cheap.

IMO Cheap guns are more for desperate people. I question that desperation.

But here something behind the talk

here you go

Browning Hi-Power 9mm

The only one on YouTube I would actually support for this
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2019-06-11 at 01:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly because most people miss, not joking, most people can't aim for shit. Even when they are mildly proficiency hitting certain targets are not easy. Again it's not like movies.

Biggest reason is lack of experience, muscle memory, and nerves. It's all well and good to play Clint Eastwood that is until you realize someone else has a gun and they will indeed kill you if they shoot and don't miss.

Doubt worry confusion will go through your head even if you are trained and experienced. If i had to place bets on a country farm boy who was raised hunting and learning about guns, vs some common average city dweller, my bet is going to be on the country boy.

I say that as a city dweller most of my life. You really have to be in the right frame of mind and practice a lot.

If you see someone with a gun and that many mags they are.

Either a shit shot, or trying to look cool. Also more bullets means a higher probability of jamming especially if you have shitty hardware or it's not properly maintained, the biggest issues is going to be heat.
    People should practice shooting in the 5 - 7 yard range. That is far more likely going to be the range you would be shooting from in a self defense scenario than one from a greater distance. And also practice shooting with one hand , while on the move. This can be a problem at a range of course. But just standing with both hands on a firearm aiming at a non moving target? It is going to be a lot different in a real life encounter. I do like a lot of your suggestions however. But it is also a fact, some will just react and will not be confused, but calm. It is after the encounter is over with, they will begin to shake.

- - - Updated - - -

Well true and that makes sense from a practical point of view, I think most available arms are going to behave like military grade weapons. Which is why in this thread we have people talking about rounds and what not.

I would disagree with you on a .22 in any event. I would at least go with a .357 or .380. No adjustments needed for a revolver, as to making adjustments, I AM NOT the guy to do that :P

I mean I have my limits, and that would be one of them.

But getting back into this, if a person is starting out make the investment, get a revolver, and learn to shoot and get comfortable first, everything else will get easier in terms of handguns some there.

As to the more specifics.

You COULD go cheaper, and you round out some very important details, the thing is though, in a real situation, you don't need a lot of bullets, you need to aim skilled up and comfortable.

A handgun isn't going to war they aren't really made for long term firing to the point where it's too much of an issue the way some describe.

I think TV where someone just lets one off and fires constantly without it jamming without wear is silly and no a cheap gun is well cheap.

IMO Cheap guns are more for desperate people. I question that desperation.
    A .22 is better than a pokey stick. And can certainly kill. My main concern here on the homestead, would not be human attackers, but animals and large stray dogs. A .22 is plenty of firepower for those.

And I would not consider my Ruger LCP II .380 auto a cheap gun as far as concerns on breaking down or jamming. It never has. And for $200 is certainly efficient for the purpose I carry it for.

Glock 19 or 26

Sig/Sauer P320 Compact/Carry

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post

Its not crazy just look at what happened in this officer shoot out.
    That is a good video as a example why in some scenarios, having a lot of extra rounds can make a difference in a life or death situation. But most people are not going to face that type of situation considering they are not cops. For one, as a civilian, I would not be chasing the guy. lol. That being said, I think it is a good idea to carry a extra magazine.

And another thing to learn from this video is, the head shot was what stopped the attacker is what I got from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    People should practice shooting in the 5 - 7 yard range. That is far more likely going to be the range you would be shooting from in a self defense scenario than one from a greater distance. And also practice shooting with one hand , while on the move. This can be a problem at a range of course. But just standing with both hands on a firearm aiming at a non moving target? It is going to be a lot different in a real life encounter. I do like a lot of your suggestions however. But it is also a fact, some will just react and will not be confused, but calm. It is after the encounter is over with, they will begin to shake.
    Can't argue with any of the above I would say it's 100% right on, unfortunately it's very rarely understood, and that is a problem. A person can get used to anything, but whether you feel you are effected or not is irrelevant, if you're human your senses are going to be on edge, but it's the practice that will make the difference.

It's why run of the mill jack asses who fire at cops for example, almost always always lose. Some stupid kid or asshole with a gun isn't really going to be a match for a cop with training.

However put the cops up against say a former marine, or someone who has had serious military training, the tables can turn. I point this out to illustrate the points you made.

A .22 is better than a pokey stick. And can certainly kill. My main concern here on the homestead, would not be human attackers, but animals and large stray dogs. A .22 is plenty of firepower for those.

And I would not consider my Ruger LCP II .380 auto a cheap gun as far as concerns on breaking down or jamming. It never has. And for $200 is certainly efficient for the purpose I carry it for.
    Over a 22, I almost take the pokey stick LOL, growing up every knuckle headed gang banger or want to be either had a 9mm or a .22, typically because both are cheap, easier to steal.

The problem is most times if someone survives being shot and that doesn't happen unless it was like me and they missed, which happens even more often. If someone shoots as intended with a gun the victims is going to die.

However any of those I ever seen survive have been .22 typically with it stuck in them.

Cheap, typically police issue, with a nice holster something leather and comfortable, this works.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2019-06-11 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    What do you guys think about revolvers vs a semi auto pistol? On one hand the revolvers don't jam but semi autos can hold more rounds can can be reloaded much quicker. Which do you guys choose for defense?
    sawed off shot guns are the best for home defense. Fuck aiming, spray them down

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    sawed off shot guns are the best for home defense. Fuck aiming, spray them down
    2 problems with this.

1. The Person has to be close.

2. At any real distance the range isn't going to for sure end in a fatality.

Oh and they are illegal.

What is the penalty for having a sawed off shotgun?
    A Class 2 felony is punishable by 20 years to life in prison and a fine of up to $100,000.00. Possessing or using any sawed-off shotgun or rifle is a Class 4 Felony. If convicted this is punishable by 2-10 years' imprisonment and a fine to not exceed $100,000.00.

Sawed off shotguns can be especially deadly because the ammunition is propelled faster than it would be if the barrel was complete. ... In the United States, it is illegal to posses a sawed off shotgun that has a barrel length of less than eighteen inches, unless the individual has obtained a taxed permit from the ATF.

https://gun.laws.com/shotguns/sawed-off-shotgun

Oh and in case that isn't enough sawing off a shot gun which is presumably going to be done by yourself, is a very dangerous and fucking stupid thing to do unless you know what you are doing.

So Unless you know some Hells Angels or some shit
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2019-06-11 at 01:52 AM.