Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I mean, CM was nice as you could sell the runs for way more than the current M+ but thats about it. It was actually fun for a short while but once you got them down there was zero reason to come back other than for making gold of course.

M+ has been a huge success though so I doubt it's going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    But aren't Mythic+ a farm too? As for your comparison with them to raids i'm not sure that's accurate.
    For people doing high keys, they are a constant progress, developing new strategies weekly and experimenting and pushing the group to whats possible. High keys arent done for gear, hence you dont really "farm". I only compare them to raids because thats how the developers see them - that was their official reason to why gearswapping was removed.

Would prefer Mythic + combined with CM reward system.

CM for me, cosmetic rewards were amazing. However, I don’t like dungeons in WoW. By the time I finished CMs, I was sick of the dungeons in that expansion, but in Legion and BFA, having to even just do a +10 is too stale for me. M+ lost its charm on me, a very long time ago.

Between the two, overall, I'd say Mythic+ for replayability. I think it suits a wider audience than CM did.
    With that said, I do somewhat miss the unique rewards that came with Challenge Mode as something to progress to / achieve once per class.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the whole "time attack" gameplay. The whole "racing against a clock" mentality just gets under my skin and more often than not just drives me away from the activity, especially when making a mistake not only means you have to try again, it will mean that for everyone else in your group.

So if it was up to my taste neither are a perfect solution. I'd much prefer a really hard dungeon mode with a good weekly-cooldown reward but without time limit, and without farming/increasing keys, instead of the weekly +10. It could co-exist with the timed Mythic+ system, while also being viable for a more casual audience, or at least to slower / less optimal groups.

Why not both?

CM = Static challenge, specific one time reward (like Legion mage tower)
    M+ = Farmable progressive challenge, continuous random rewards.

Both concepts are good, but they are the same thing in different clothing.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

M+ anyday.
    CM were interesting very niche content at best, ignored by most.
    M+ is a solid endgame compliment, with open ended scaling, interesting variations due to affixes, and useful rewards to boot.

CM, the holy warrior plate set for my pally with tabard of the lightbringer is probably my all-time favorite set out of all my characters. M+ is boring to me now. It was fun for awhile but I'm done until 8.2 and Classic, I don't like replaying the same stuff for no extra rewards and my two mains are geared AF.

BOTH.

Your weekly chest comes from challenge modes
    You can still farm gear in m+

I much preferred Challenge modes though purely because it didn't exclude people like m+ does. I would much prefer if your weekly +10 chest actually came from challenge modes, that way there is no real exclusions like we see in m+, and before anyone tries to say it doesn't matter in a +10, good luck trying to get into a pug solo as a non meta spec, i've experienced countless frustrations with m+ since it's inception as a shadow priest, yet i can hop on a different class and it's an absolute breeze to get into groups solo even with much lower scores.

M+ can stay with all its scaling for those who want it, but i would much rather have some 5 man content that wasn't so exclusive to certain classes and specs because of "utility" or limited class designs

M+ concept is great for people, but it is far too restrictive for certain specs and far too favourable for others, challenge modes on the other hand are a fixed difficulty where you get downscaled to a set standard so you can't really outgear it and offers far more room for every class and spec to have their place in.

Mythic+ has WAY more playability as CM are one and done for most people.

The only thing Mythic+ needs is cosmetic awards, like mounts, pets, titles, lead boards and stuff like that. Gear is great, but there already to much of it make it rather dull as the only reward.

Mythic all day long. Challenge modes you did once and that was that. Also there is a huge portion of the player base that never even did them. Everybody might not love mythic, but pretty much everybody has done it in one shape or form.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I preferred Challenge Mode because it had actual rewards that I cared about vs. just higher ilevel gear, and once I was done, I was done. Running the same dungeons for 2 years is not fun to me.

CM were also doable by any spec/class.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Mythic all day long. Challenge modes you did once and that was that. Also there is a huge portion of the player base that never even did them. Everybody might not love mythic, but pretty much everybody has done it in one shape or form.
    I don't think this is true. Most casual players never touch M+, I did a whopping two of them in Legion and decided never again.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Challenge Modes, hands down. I did CM's - carved out time and dedicated the weekends required to complete them. I haven't done a single M+. Not once. There were unique rewards for completing CMs. M+ simply gives gear - potentially better than what you already have, but beyond that there are no interesting rewards, so I've never felt compelled to do them. For those saying M+ has better replayability, why are we still operating under the pretense that WoW has to be unendingly replayable? Do those that feel the requirement to complete at least the top chest reward M+ each week feel like that's fun, or would they rather have something that's challenging, rewarding, and once you're done there's no real reason to continue? For me, hands down it's the latter.

I'm a Classic guy, so take what I say with that context, but when I make a Priest and do the Bene/Anat quest, the healing waves part of the quest is, from what I've heard, pretty tough. Not only do you need to heal, and not let die, a bunch of mobs, you also need to kill off any zombies that come your way. Oh, and if anyone helps you, you have to restart. Same with the Hunter Rhok/Lok quests. If you don't fully solo the demons, you have to restart. These are challenging, one-time rewarding chains. They're amazing! Now, if you had to do these each week to get a buff for your weapon that allowed it to be stronger than otherwise, yes there's replayability, but is it good gameplay? The forced repetition of M+ coupled with the uninteresting reward structure simply kills the system for me. CM's were far superior in every way.

(With the caveat that M+ has allowed for the MDI to be a thing, and the MDI is the best WoW esport I've ever seen. This could easily be done in a CM setting, though, with difficulty ramps available for esport mode.)

Mop style challenge modes- I loved earning the armor across several classes. Weapons just didn't do it for me and I actually skipped them in WoD.

I hate farming M+ for the same gear/trinkets (at a higher ilvl) at the start of a new tier. Anymore I do my 10 for the week and call it a day, push the occasional key but it just doesn't feel as rewarding. It's repetitive and boring.

I think setting the gear/ilvl actually makes the content more challenging vs slowly nerfing it over time as your ilvl inflates. Mop/Wod challenge modes didn't need a gear reward to be relevant why does M+?

Quote Originally Posted by Alopex Major View Post
    I preferred Challenge Mode because it had actual rewards that I cared about vs. just higher ilevel gear, and once I was done, I was done. Running the same dungeons for 2 years is not fun to me.

CM were also doable by any spec/class.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think this is true. Most casual players never touch M+, I did a whopping two of them in Legion and decided never again.
    There are multiple rewards to mythic 0 or mythic +, ultimately those are what pull people into content. Having things like the weekly mythic quest as a thing that will get many to do at the very least mythic 0. As said by the OP they are considering mythic 0 and + as the same thing. Way more people do mythic even if you filtered it to mythic + that is a much bigger part of the game than CM were. Entire servers didn't touch CM due to population droughts. The server I was on from BC through WoD had 2 groups doing CM, not 2 guilds 10 people total. In one week on that server more people will do mythic + than anybody did CM for the entire span of WoD.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

It would be nice if m+ offered cosmetic rewards like the previous challenge mode iterations (mop/wod/magetower). M+ just seems like a chore after a month into the new season; playing rng slot machine for your weekly chest isn't very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    There are multiple rewards to mythic 0 or mythic +, ultimately those are what pull people into content. Having things like the weekly mythic quest as a thing that will get many to do at the very least mythic 0. As said by the OP they are considering mythic 0 and + as the same thing. Way more people do mythic even if you filtered it to mythic + that is a much bigger part of the game than CM were. Entire servers didn't touch CM due to population droughts. The server I was on from BC through WoD had 2 groups doing CM, not 2 guilds 10 people total. In one week on that server more people will do mythic + than anybody did CM for the entire span of WoD.
    Challenge modes were cross realm, i was on an extremely populated server during MoP, and still used i believe ..Openraid? to form groups for all of the challenge modes. Never once did a guildy help while i was in a 25m heroic raid guild for the MoP challenge modes. I

10+ Year Old Account
    I really liked CMs, did them on 7 chars or so for the transmogs. I really liked how you could target specific ones as well, instead of praying for the right key and then only get one real chance to complete it. But at the end of the day M+ means waaay more content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mythic+ is clearly a winner, cm you ran once and were done with it, most just bought a boost.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Any content that scales your character down in power fucking sucks, it is why timewalking is the worst content ever created.