Low power GPU issue

I've got an issue with building PC's with a Asus Z390, intel 9700k, Corsair 450W power supply and a low powerd Gigabyte 1050 2gb GPU.

It will not detect my GPU in the 16x PCI slot but it works fine in the 8x slot.
    However a 1050 that required additional power (6pin) works in the 16x slot.
    I've also got the low powerd GPU to post while trying a 750W PSU or the original spec while outside of the chassie.

This is some computers we deliver at work and the issue started with the normal 1050 now went out of life and we swaped to the low powerd ones.

I've got about 6/10 computers to work somehow but the issue remains with all new builds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the x16 slot doesn't supply all of the 75W it should, and as a result the GPU doesn't initialize properly?

Does it have a fan? Does it spin?
    Try plugging a display into the MOBO's display outputs and check if they even run

Also, entirely off topic, but a 9700k and a 1050 is a weird combo

Try a different PSU with more than 450W to see if that is the issue?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nToxik View Post
    Try a different PSU with more than 450W to see if that is the issue?
    450W is more than enough. The only problem I could think of relating to that is the PSU not being able to send enough current through the 12V rails on the 24pin, but then the GPUs wouldn't work in the x8 slot either

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    450W is more than enough. The only problem I could think of relating to that is the PSU not being able to send enough current through the 12V rails on the 24pin, but then the GPUs wouldn't work in the x8 slot either
    Correct 450w should be enough but at least it would rule out a possible common denominator. For example, Seasonic's 'Focus' PSUs had (maybe still have) a problem if you run Vega 64 or nVidia 970 GPUs. These should be able to power both GPUs no problem but for some reason, there was issues using this GPUs with those specific video cards. Maybe it is a similar situation.

When your gpu bottlenecks your cpu
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

I would call it a pretty good min-max CPU-GPU combo for WoW. A slower CPU with a better GPU would get you lower FPS.
    -

Its the usual pre-build scam.

Big CPU, low grade GPU, customer buys for overall cost of +30% of what it costs, plays some older/weaker game like LoL/Fortnite/Dota/WoW, is all happy.

A few months/year passes, all sorts of "Return cause not satisfied" and "1 year warranty from store" disappears, average customer tries heavier game, PC cant do shit cause 1050, complains, store doesnt care "You signed and its out of first year either way".

Hence the 450W, probably chinese OEM, actual power of 350W for the first 2 years.

Maybe the x16 slot doesn't supply all of the 75W it should, and as a result the GPU doesn't initialize properly?

Does it have a fan? Does it spin?
    Try plugging a display into the MOBO's display outputs and check if they even run
    The fan does spin and it boots alright. I'm getting display output thru the MOBO that's how I know the computer doesn't find a display adapter at all.
    Some builds works fine and some doesn't.
    Wierd thing is we've tried a build outside of the chassie with no issues but after assembly it wont detect the GPU. If we try another GPU that requires additional power it posts.
    Last build that didn't detect the GPU I decided to change the 450W for 750W and that started posting aswell.

The only thing I can think of would be some kind of grounding issue but since different methods have "resolved" the issue I can't really put my finger on it.

They are all running the same (latests) BIOS version on the Asus Z390-P.

It's a B2B build, the customer runs this config for software development so they're not in need of high preformance GPU's in their standard builds.
    The low powered 1050 is just a filler untill they've certified the 1650 for their Linux image.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obz View Post
    The fan does spin and it boots alright. I'm getting display output thru the MOBO that's how I know the computer doesn't find a display adapter at all.
    Some builds works fine and some doesn't.
    Wierd thing is we've tried a build outside of the chassie with no issues but after assembly it wont detect the GPU. If we try another GPU that requires additional power it posts.
    Last build that didn't detect the GPU I decided to change the 450W for 750W and that started posting aswell.

The only thing I can think of would be some kind of grounding issue but since different methods have "resolved" the issue I can't really put my finger on it.

They are all running the same (latests) BIOS version on the Asus Z390-P.
    When in Windows running off the iGPU, try checking if you can open Nvidia Control Panel.

You could also just put the GPUs in the x8 slot, since that shouldn't negatively affect performance in any noticeable way

When in Windows running off the iGPU, try checking if you can open Nvidia Control Panel.
    I'll take a look at that, tho it doesn't even show up in the Device Manager when running windows off the iGPU

You could also just put the GPUs in the x8 slot, since that shouldn't negatively affect performance in any noticeable way
    We've concidered this since we're probably gonna switch over to the 1650 soon.
    But it still bugs me to use this as a "solution".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obz View Post
    I'll take a look at that, tho it doesn't even show up in the Device Manager when running windows off the iGPU

We've concidered this since we're probably gonna switch over to the 1650 soon.
    But it still bugs me to use this as a "solution".
    If the case doesn't have a window, it's likely the client won't even notice. As I said, there's no noticeable drop in performance from using a x8 rather than a x16 slot. Yes it feels kinda "wrong" to put a GPU there, but ultimately it doesn't matter, especially if you can't even see it.