Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    You may well have me to thank for that, I'm the guy that started the 50+ page thread in the BFA alpha forums titled something like "Stop giving us free mission gold!". Boy oh boy, people didn't like that thread.
    At the end of the day it got people nowhere. I cannot really remember what tokens were selling for at the end of legion but I decided to drop all my cash on them just in case they went up. I would easily have had a year+ of tokens at today's price. I think I got 3 or 4 back in legion.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I logged in on 11/12 characters 2-3x/day to refresh gold missions for years throughout WoD and Legion. As of patch 8.0 I was free and haven't done it since. So I'm pretty happy with the change.

Aside from my own preferences, it's healthy for the economy. The hyperinflation stopped dead in its tracks. The economy is still inflating, but at a much more controlled and rational rate.

5+ Year Old Account
    I hope they have learned to not encourage gold inflation again.

It was totally unnecessary to increase gold gains each expansion. A quest giving 10 gold in Cata should not give 30 if it's placed in Legion.

Damn, it was such a joke that opening a random chest in the Broken Isles could give a player between 150 to 1000 gold. (Well, those still exist, except for a certain item, [gems of whatever], green colored, that got it's selling cost greatly nerfed).

The game should not make players change obtaining gold through commerce with other players with creating tons and tons of gold with normal gameplay activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Deflating gold wouldn't change token sales at all. Gold is worth more so tokens cost less, yes. But the value of each token is unchanged, and the amount of gold corresponding to that value is determined based on supply and demand.

I don't know why people keep saying everything is a conspiracy to sell more tokens. It's asinine.
    While I don't think it's a conspiracy to sell more tokens, it's not entirely accurate to say that the value of tokens is unchanged because the gold prices of most stuff in WoW stayed unchanged, for instance, a mount that might have cost roughly half a token in gold on US serve like the Grand Expedition Yak now costs a full token in gold so if a player wanted that mount badly but didn't want to earn the gold in game, they now have to spend $20 on a token to get it instead of only half of that $20 going to the mount with 100k gold left in their reserve.

But I think the flip side is that I think Legion had some players who weren't necessarily interested in paying for a sub with $ but because they could simply log into their companion app on all their characters and make easy gold each day, they kept subbed through tokens. I think a lot of these players have probably left since then because BfA isn't enjoyable enough to justify spending real money on to many, but had they still had easy gold they'd probably buy game time with it. That's a segment of the token supply/demand market that disappeared because of the changes. Now I think the only people buying tokens with gold are people who had a huge gold reserve coming into BfA, AH goblins, and a collection of people who play enough that they still make the gold necessary to buy tokens. I highly doubt there's many people playing casually and buying tokens with gold anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrick View Post
    and yes I have every profession at max... but I am not sure what you mean about Abuse/Alchemy.
    when last patch was released before it was fixed there was a bug for alchemists from the quest reward that proc their potions ~ infinity, u can even find video mocking it at Nobble channel
    so any alchemist at 8.1 launch pls shut up about gold making
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Paragon caches give a pretty decent chunk of change. I just do enough WQs for my emissaries and the paragon caches just roll in.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Paragon caches give a pretty decent chunk of change. I just do enough WQs for my emissaries and the paragon caches just roll in.
    That's inflationary too as it adds raw gold to the economy, but it's really a matter of degree. Paragon caches reward around 4k gold, and you need to expend meaningful effort over a period of days to get each one.

By the end of Legion I was making an average of 50k gold per day from simply refreshing table missions on 12 characters. Near zero effort for a ton of money. That's why it was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    I disagree. Yes, gold does not flow like in past expansions, but I’m still able to get gold by playing.
    Sorry, but that's bull****. Playing the AH is NOT MAKING GOLD, it's transfering gold from one player to another. 99% of players (wild speculation) can't play the AH or simply do not want to. This does not change the issue that gold is far from abundant. And yes, in this expack there are too many goldsinks, but no legit way, outside of the auction house to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    So I'm sure this is news to nobody but basically there's been a huge inflation in cost for various things, vendor mounts for example now cost hundreds of thousands or millions of gold, and there's literally no way to make that kind of money in battle for azeroth. Nothing is worth anything. Gathering profs are worth nothing because the auction house is flooded with mats already, leveling a char 110-120 and selling everything along the way nets you maybe 2k at best, the gold from the mission table is absolute trash, etc. The only way to make gold now really is to be in a guild that sells mythic runs, being someone who spends all their time working the AH, or buying game tokens. The majority of people sitting on massive reserves of gold made it in legion and if you didn't make a ton of gold in legion you're kinda just shit out of luck.

I'm not saying everyone should be able to afford a 5 million dollar mount but there's literally no way for an average player to make anywhere near that, even these 90k rep mounts are out of reach for most people. It's beginning to parallel the irl economy at this point lol.
    I bought the Mighty Brutosaur mount at the beginning of the expansion, which brought my gold down to about 600,000g. Since then I've bought vendor mount offered in BfA as well as the BoE mounts and a bunch of pets (50,000g and above) and am back above 3 million after all that gold spent ( which was close to 2 million). I don't farm OR buy tokens. I typically play about 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day of which 15 minutes is spent at the AH. It's still super easy to make gold in game if you are willing to use the Auction House effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Goge View Post
    Then i don't know what to tell you, you expect to not do any "meaningful/current" endgame content, yet still expect to make enough passive gold to buy every single gold sink mount in the game?

As others have said, if you really cba to do any max level 120 content, see if you can do some garrison stuff or crafting stuff, do old raids, etc
    If the game expects you to do this then its simply a terrible design philosophy, much like alot of the game which is why the game has been bleeding out for so long and why classic is so well received compared to this variation of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Sorry, but that's bull****. Playing the AH is NOT MAKING GOLD, it's transfering gold from one player to another. 99% of players (wild speculation) can't play the AH or simply do not want to. This does not change the issue that gold is far from abundant. And yes, in this expack there are too many goldsinks, but no legit way, outside of the auction house to make money.
    i think they may still be trying to drain peoples pockets from the WoD garrison days, and also making people feel like they need to buy gold through wow tokens

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah golds stupidly inflated with very little means of generating gold. you dont get dick from world quests, mission board, or dungeons. my main source of money is still soloing old raids and queing for dungeons as much as possible when satchels are up for tank/heals. the main way to get the gold is to sell tokens and at that is a fucking slippery slope i'll never be behind. rep mounts should not be 100k+ hell they shouldnt even be 10k. rep mounts are basic and should be cheap. i can understand the TCG mounts being expensive but fuck that shit for mounts/pets behind rep/vendors.
    Last edited by Lora; 2019-06-11 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gold sinks are one thing and I have no issue with gold sinks - mounts that cost a few million, BMAH, etc. All good.

But rep/vendor rewards should not be 100K. Period. Those aren't suppose to be gold sinks; those are suppose to be rewards for what we already grinded. The rewards we are (supposedly) grinding FOR. Not grinding for rep then grinding for 100K to get the mount for the rep.

That's BS. And fine if they want to keep going, they'll just continue to have less and less players wanting to work for it.

I'm a casual player and while I played the AH at the beginning of the expansion - there's no money to be made from it now. I use to farm mats/fish/etc. and flip them and make a few thousand each time to put back for "fun things." (like mount etc.)

But I've not made 200K this BFA to even get two vendor mounts. That's what is trash. The Rep rewards, etc. that us filthy casuals actually DO shoot for - is being taken away.

But hey.. sure.. keep going. Gets easier and easier to not sub up again. At this point I'm not even sure Flying will be worth grinding those reps to exalted when I can't afford any of the rewards, otherwise. Just quest through the new zone once, see what I want to see - then be done till the next content patch. Just sad.

Rep rewards should be for minimal cost on top of grind. Period. You shouldnt' have to grind pet tokens for rep pets and you shouldn't have to grind 100K for a rep mount.

That's making every "little" thing a gold sink and no, the income potential is not there. I've played the AH the same way since launch and this is the first expansion I'm not making crap doing so. Every single other expansion, we had more money rolling and changing hands. And every single other expansion - everything cost less, also. I didn't even play the Legion-Money-Farm, and this is still the poorest expansion.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Things were way too cheap in WoD and Legion, they fixed it, and now people complain?

Quote Originally Posted by Isilarya View Post
    Im criticizing the entire crafting system not the current one. BC professions and to a lesser degree Wrath brought you MASSIVE income, you could just profession all day every day and just drown in gold if thats the only game you wanted to play. Now the entire system is damn near pointless.
    Well, that's because the system has shifted from high quality armor being made by professions before raid tiers, to professions making re-usable quality of life items, such as the stirrups other consumable items.

Nobody needs a Stunherald, because you can just go to a daily mission or an emissary and get something just as good.

Plus, there was a ton more people playing then, on top of the amount of loot sources being narrowed. So yes, professions kinda suck, but that's because they put a lot of what professions offered as stop gaps, or quick item level boosts into the other game systems. Professions need a new niche.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's gold-sinks, time-gates and time-sinks, criss-crossed currencies and rewards, it's foul and indeed it reeks. It's either pay-up or play-more, like no, i'd rather not.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    when last patch was released before it was fixed there was a bug for alchemists from the quest reward that proc their potions ~ infinity, u can even find video mocking it at Nobble channel
    so any alchemist at 8.1 launch pls shut up about gold making
    <---Was a max Alchemist in 8.1, still doesn't have the new profession items, and wouldn't have cheated the system if I did.

Don't assume things. It's rude.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    <---Was a max Alchemist in 8.1, still doesn't have the new profession items, and wouldn't have cheated the system if I did.

Don't assume things. It's rude.
    what 'assumption' here ? this bug literally happened, but blizz ignored the massive increase in gold for alchemists only in a strange move, even if they banned ppl who used the xp potion that blizz themselves refused to say it was a bug or special event in first place
    U specifically may ignored it, but no deny that there are few alchemists who drown in massive gold from that bug, if not from AH from just vendoring literally free sh8t
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Things were way too cheap in WoD and Legion, they fixed it, and now people complain?
    They didn't "fix" it. They implemented a bunch of gold-expensive systems to siphon money away from active players while leaving inactive players out of it. On top of that, they didn't rebalance gold sources, they simply removed them. Now people that play struggle to make gold to buy what they want and guilds are encouraged to sell raid achievements, mounts, and gear to make sure they have enough gold to raid.

They should have shifted gold away from follower missions and world quests towards current expansion raid tiers and high mythic+ runs, maybe even Arena and rated BG rewards. You don't want (rapid) deflation, you want to rebalance the source of gold. This gives ways for casual active players to get gold by supporting top-end players through professions.

didn't read the thread, sorry if this has been brought up, the reason why a lot of gold making was limited was due to the inflated amounts out there. Should you wish to buy these fancy mounts, you would do so by this games micro-transactions, aka WoW tokens. This is what they're relying on, buying gold from them to purchase these things, while it is not necessary it's the exact shortcut they plan on a few to take, generating more revenue.

To all the people who will say "No it's not", it is. Sure That takes away money from someone's sub, but it's more money than the sub is worth, giving them extra profit. It's marketing, and it is a really smart way about it.

Quote Originally Posted by aksfjh View Post
    You don't want (rapid) deflation,
    Why not? Some players were screwed, like the guy early in the thread who bought tons of tokens at the end of Legion when they're much cheaper now, but beyond that seems OK to me.