Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Jon stewart and congress about 9/11 first responders.

The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Come now these are 9/11 first responders not important people like the rich whose multi trillion dollar tax cuts get passed without worry of the cost or lobbyist who bribe I mean donate to our politicians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Coastal elites don’t mater...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Come now these are 9/11 first responders not important people like the rich whose multi trillion dollar tax cuts get passed without worry of the cost or lobbyist who bribe I mean donate to our politicians.
    That’s the sad thing about Wiener. Before his shit hit the fan, he was known to be a major advocate for 9/11 first responders. You used to be able to google ‘anthony wiener’ (correctly spelled) and get a bunch of YouTube videos of him blasting/grandstanding congress over it. Not so much now...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently Never Forget is only used when people want to push their hatred.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Coastal elites don’t mater...

- - - Updated - - -

That’s the sad thing about Wiener. Before his shit hit the fan, he was known to be a major advocate for 9/11 first responders. You used to be able to google ‘anthony wiener’ (correctly spelled) and get a bunch of YouTube videos of him blasting/grandstanding congress over it. Not so much now...
    I am not even going to lie I was hoping he would run for president before his fall from grace, he was one of the very rare democrats who had balls and would fight for what he believed in. If you look at it from the lens of 2019 where the GOP is running pedophiles and Neo Nazis for office he looks electable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boy Kirk View Post
    This whole affair (9/11 in general, really) is very comical if you're not an American.
    Going to have to put more effort into your post if you want more bites otherwise people will take you seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    John Stewart is as he as always been. Smart and vocal. Sometimes he grandstands. What he saying here seems pretty tight.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    approaches podium

'WE MUST LOOK OUT FOR OUR TROOPS AND FIRST RESPONDERS'

crowd applauds

'Sir, the first responders from 9/11 need help to pay for their bill'

'It's not in the budget

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    "We don't know where we'll get the funds"

Uh . . . 700 billion dollars going to defense. Can't take a bit off of that? These people risked their lives, hundreds of them died to save lives that day. The least we could do is see to their medical needs ffs.

Jon Stewart was 110% correct in his rant.
    Putin khuliyo

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Obviously not

MSNBC demands the right to bypass my addblocker

I could get an addblocker they cannot detect (since i do not use Chrome) but that would be dishonest

Instead i will not read their content

Is there another article or a decent explanation on what it is about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Obviously not

I could get an addblocker they cannot detect (since i do not use Chrome) but that would be dishonest

Get better filters? Because I'm using Chrome with an adblocker. No ads, no warnings.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boy Kirk View Post
    This whole affair (9/11 in general, really) is very comical if you're not an American.

Infracted
    Rightfully banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Apparently Never Forget is only used when people want to push their hatred.
    Never forget the thoughts and prayers.
    Always forget to act.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Obviously not

Here it is on YouTube:

Everyone should listen to this. One of the most powerful things I've heard in my time.

Although technically the chamber is not as empty as it appears - after the clip, someone points out that this is a subcommittee, and the chairs were assembled for a full committee, so in reality only 3 people were missing and not the ~12 that it appears. Of course, since both sides are surely the same, it's anyone's guess which party all 3 of those people belonged to or which senator it was that's screwed with previous 9/11 bills as Jon referred to. We'll never know!

I've looked into it briefly. I wonder, though... at what point is it okay to speculate why this is a national matter and not a NYC problem? I mean, I get it, they deserve some support because the US apparently has no medical care system in place (which usually takes care of things like these). But clogging up the federal Government over what essentially is a limited and local problem... doesn't seem right.

As much as I sympathize with him, but of all the things he did, this is the thing I understood the least. It's oddly specific.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I've looked into it briefly. I wonder, though... at what point is it okay to speculate why this is a national matter and not a NYC problem? I mean, I get it, they deserve some support because the US apparently has no medical care system in place (which usually takes care of things like these). But clogging up the federal Government over what essentially is a limited and local problem... doesn't seem right.

As much as I sympathize with him, but of all the things he did, this is the thing I understood the least. It's oddly specific.
    As John explains in the video...al-Qaeda didn't shout "Death to Tribeca".
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I mean, hurricanes, earthquakes, blizzards and tornadoes don't hit every area in the US either, but they have national relief programs to help victims in those areas. Generally a nation bands together (or should) when met with a disaster, and a terrorist attack shouldn't be treated differently.

New York didn't choose to be attacked by a terrorist organization anymore than natural disasters hitting random areas in the U.S either. Not that I think that funding should be taken away from disaster relief, but a terrorist attack on U.S soil shouldn't be diminished to the state level.

It should be absolutely pathetic, regardless of what your political affiliation is when your government can't even take care of those they pay to respond to emergency situations. That should be a pretty basic function of government IMO.

Where the fuck is Trump in all this? Why the fuck is he not pounding the table for this?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post

For the same reason Pearl Harbor wasn't a Hawaiian issue. 9/11 was very much a national problem, and the amount of damage it did to the infrastructure of NYC required a lot of external aid to repair, especially for the first responders. Cities from all over the nation sent fire fighters, police, ems, and others to aid in NYC after 9/11, not just to help out at the site (Although they did that too), but because the city was seriously shorthanded in all of those services, because they lost so many people in those buildings. 343 firefighters alone died, so NYC needed help. These medical problems are an extension of that need. Because they manifested years later, the initial urgency and upwelling of support isn't there any more, but it is legitimately more then NYC can afford. They need to be part of it of course, but it is something that needs Congressional aid.

Props to John Stewart for fighting for this, and giving it a high profile spokesman, but seriously it shouldn't be him. Where the hell is Giuliani on all this? This is legitimately his fight all the way, and he should be bothering the president about this every day. For that matter Trump is from NYC as well, he allegedly watched the towers fall from his office window. This should be one of the most clear cut bi-partisan issues ever, and the administration itself has every reason to champion it.