Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    "We don't want the fans to wait."

Fans: WE WILL WAIT IF IT MEANS WE GET ALL THE POKEMON!

"Well it is balancing ..."

Balancing what? People who play competitively? That is a small number of your fans. There are people who have beaten the league with only Magikarp legitimate. People want to be able to play the game with their favorites. I remember in later playthroughs of games I would transfer in some no regional pokemon in eggs to use as my team. It was fun, it made it feel like I was a visiting trainer rather than a native one.

I remember playing Soul Silver using a Turtwig and a Shinx (I know Shinx can be obtain in Soul Silver, but it was still fun). I brought in a Bulbasaur to Hoenn.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    "We don't want the fans to wait."

Fans: WE WILL WAIT IF IT MEANS WE GET ALL THE POKEMON!

"Well it is balancing ..."

Balancing what? People who play competitively? That is a small number of your fans. There are people who have beaten the league with only Magikarp legitimate. People want to be able to play the game with their favorites. I remember in later playthroughs of games I would transfer in some no regional pokemon in eggs to use as my team. It was fun, it made it feel like I was a visiting trainer rather than a native one.

I remember playing Soul Silver using a Turtwig and a Shinx (I know Shinx can be obtain in Soul Silver, but it was still fun). I brought in a Bulbasaur to Hoenn.
    Creating your own fun in a Pokémon game?

THEY CAN'T ALLOW THAT! YOU CAN ONLY DO AS GAME FREAK SAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    There's even another nugget in that interview:

On defining characteristics of the Galar region and using the UK as inspiration:
    "It kind of ties in to the main scene we have for the game, which is this idea of being the strongest or the greatest. Being on the Nintendo Switch, I wanted to really challenge myself to create the greatest Pokemon experience yet using all the hardware power we didn't have before."

WOULDNT YA FIGURE THE GREATEST POKEMON EXPERIENCE YET WOULD REQUIRE, I DUNNO, ALL BLOODY 800+ POKEMON? SO THAT NO ONE GETS LEFT OUT BECAUSE THEIR FAVOURITE DIDNT MAKE IT? EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THAT WORKS MASUDA, PLEASE
    Exactly. Creating the greatest experience would be allowing us to build our team our way. Not force us to use the pokemon they choose for us because they "feel" like those best fit in that region.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole "its about balance" schtick is just such complete and utter bullshit as there are so much better ways to handle "fit" and "balance".

Just limit transferring to after youre done with all story elements so that the "fit" doesnt get interrupted and just limit the available mons for competitive game modes to the ones in the Galar dex, they've done this before and it worked fine.
    With these two things in place, there's just no reason to not allow us to transfer all mons. Other than of course the effort it would take to port over all 800+ mons and the fact that they are either unwilling or unable to get it done in time for release. And instead of admitting that, they'd rather try to spin this "balance" and "fit" bullshit on us.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a link for you guys, but it appears that an interview with Famitsu confirmed that Dynamaxing is intended to replace Mega Evolution and Z-moves by itself, confirming their removal as mentioned when this whole shitshow came to light.

They are replacing Mega Evolution, a mechanic that, while it had its flaws, salvaged many pokemon, breathed new life into them, and had many legitimately great designs, and Z-moves, with literally "It just gets bigger - the gimmick".

It appears that Japanese fans are not happy with this whole ordeal either. Removing part of the Pokedex, and two combat mechanics, for the sake of "animations" and "balance" that doesn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean... They are reusing the 3d models from 2 games ago (XY) and using HD filters (And not adding any new animations on top of that)
    That really isn't an excuse

If they want to balance the pokemon Meta, that's ok. Restrict which pokemon are usable on official competitions and done.
    We get to keep our weird ass pokemon choices and they get a controlled competitive enviroment
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Here's a comment I made in a Poketuber video. This does not cover all of my thoughts, but it adresses some main points:

I comment extremely rarely and excuse me, but what you're saying, going off what Masuda said, is commonly referred to as non-sense.

(1) If they are concerned with balance (something they have clearly admitted in the past they do NOT care about), then they can "ban" whatever pokemon they deem too strong for the SINGLE-player experience (something that anyway is only up the the player to determine how they want it to be) by not including it in the regional, in this case Galar, pokedex. That means that the pokemon is still programmed and available to be transferred in the game, just not able to be found in the region. For the SINGLE-player experience. That point is completely moot even for competitive: VGC, the only official format, has always limited the species of Pokemon in battle for its first season, progressively allowing for more gimmics to be present in later iterations of it (from just alola dex to full out mega-evos and no restrictions).

(2) People have emotional connections with their pokemon. They have spent tens and even hundrends of hours breeding them and getting that shiny they so much desire, as you very well know, being a constant receiver of joy from people that finally got THAT shiny. Telling them that they won't be able to bring them in to admire them in the Switch and keep them around is just disgusting and it is disgusting exactly because:

(3) Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Home were advertised (especially Bank when it originally came about) as a feature that would allow you to FOREVER store and transfer your pokemon in the future generations. It is even a payed for service. Going back on one's word is a spit on the face, and salt to injury is added when

(4) They already got ALL the models in high definition and quality since XY and 7th gen's since S&M. The models are there. I cannot understand why they are blatantly lying about them making animations. The Double Kick animation is the same as it was in XY. The model FREZZES when the animation is performed. That is NOT high quality animation. I will not try to guess the reason they are lying in this comment. Everyone can make their own assumptions on that.

Note that I am not even arguing the apparent removal of Mega-evos & Z-moves for a mechanic that literally has no effort behind it aesthetically: they just hammered some size into arbitrary. by them chosen, pokemon.

They literally have no excuse. There's no justifying that move and coming out with such non-excuses, trying to throw dirt into the customers' eyes is again, disgusting. This not a "change" as some apologists have said. This is only ommision and it breaks a tradition upheld by them since 2002, and also reenforced by them by allowing the first games in digital form AND ensuring transferability of those pokemon. This decision goes against EVERYTHING the games have stood for, for the last 20+ years.

Everyone has the right to be appaled, and Poketubers first should be hammering them clearly and openly for this decision. It's their playthroughs that get less diverse, it's their draft leagues that get chopped, it's their decades old, huge collections that are put in the fridge.

Unless one has grown completely out of their bond with their Pokemon, I fail to see how they would justify this decision of theirs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Everyone has the right to be appaled, and Poketubers first should be hammering them clearly and openly for this decision. It's their playthroughs that get less diverse, it's their draft leagues that get chopped, it's their decades old, huge collections that are put in the fridge.
    None of the ones I follow have made any video on this recent information yet, and I don't follow them on any social media so I have no idea if any comment on it has been made or not. I do hope I'm wrong, but I feel like they'll be the first to jump in front of these games and defend them to their deaths. They did so with Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee. I fully expect them to do so again. Pokemon is their moneymaker, it is not in their best interest to bash the games, regardless of their opinions on it. Which is a shame, because their voices are much easier to spread than ours are.

Again, I could very well be wrong, and I hope I am. But Let's Go painted very clearly that there is no low that is too low for them to defend. Time will tell once opinion videos start coming out.
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    None of the ones I follow have made any video on this recent information yet, and I don't follow them on any social media so I have no idea if any comment on it has been made or not. I do hope I'm wrong, but I feel like they'll be the first to jump in front of these games and defend them to their deaths. They did so with Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee. I fully expect them to do so again. Pokemon is their moneymaker, it is not in their best interest to bash the games, regardless of their opinions on it. Which is a shame, because their voices are much easier to spread than ours are.

Again, I could very well be wrong, and I hope I am. But Let's Go painted very clearly that there is no low that is too low for them to defend. Time will tell once opinion videos start coming out.
    They all will go full Corporate Whiteknight mode. Can't hurt their access priviledges.

Sadly, I fully agree with both @Lahis & @Adramalech. They already are on the bandwagon of "don't attack devs", "it's okay to not care" and other whiteknight bullshit like that.

- - - Updated - - -

And, and it's 100% confirmed now. The new games will not include Mega-evolutions nor Z-moves.

https://mynintendonews.com/2019/06/1...-sword-shield/

Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    The whole "its about balance" schtick is just such complete and utter bullshit as there are so much better ways to handle "fit" and "balance".
    Their balance excuse is just crap. I mean, come on. You only balance the pokemon for competitive gameplay that are 1) The final evolutionary stage or 2)Don't evolve to begin with. The entire point is that some pokemon are good at some things and others are bad at others. Not to mention, for the average player, balance doesn't matter one bit! They play the game and are happy without ever stepping foot into hardcore competitions.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

IT GETS BETTER!!!!!

They had to cut majority of Pokémon because they are so utterly incompetent that they made FOUR different models for each Pokémon for Dynamax, instead of scaling up the base models and using particle effects like normal competent coders do.

I have no words for this
    they should hire normal coders and project managers and fire eveyone involved with with S&S

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    IT GETS BETTER!!!!!

They had to cut majority of Pokémon because they are so utterly incompetent that they made FOUR different models for each Pokémon for Dynamax, instead of scaling up the base models and using particle effects like normal competent coders do.
    Not gonna lie, this makes me hopeful that they can get their act together and will include the rest later. But screw Dynamax. Its literally ruining everything at this point.

I have no words. Dynamax is not only bullshit, it's not only aesthetically uninteresting, it murdered half the pokedex too, just for its sake.

Why was it SO hard to create new mega-evolutions? Why?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've written and deleted two entire posts about Game Freak and their "balance". Using examples, doing comparisons, the whole thing.

But I can't accurately put into words just how awful they have always been at balancing Pokemon, and how much transparent that excuse is for anyone who has any experience with the games.

I sure am looking forward to their notion of balance when these games come out and there are close to no changes to whatever Pokemon are left.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    IT GETS BETTER!!!!!

Bull. No way. That effect is as simple as placing three clouds at the correct height and creating a very simple IF THEN script where each cloud is deactivated according to how many turns are left. Anyone with basic programming knowledge can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by rarhyx View Post
    I have no words for this
    they should hire normal coders and project managers and fire eveyone involved with with S&S
    If they can't write IF THEN statements to deactivate GameObjects, they wouldn't have been able to make a game. That tweet reeks of trying to capitalize on the hate train.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Bull. No way. That effect is as simple as placing three clouds at the correct height and creating a very simple IF THEN script where each cloud is deactivated according to how many turns are left. Anyone with basic programming knowledge can do that.

If they can't write IF THEN statements to deactivate GameObjects, they wouldn't have been able to make a game. That tweet reeks of trying to capitalize on the hate train.
    Given Gamefreaks proven incompetence over the years I do not consider it impossible for them to fuck up this hard. But sure, as it stands it is just baseless speculation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, something just occurred to me...

Are shinies a different model as well? I would assume they are.

Chew on that for a bit and the implications it might have in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    Hey, something just occurred to me...

Are shinies a different model as well? I would assume they are.

Chew on that for a bit and the implications it might have in the future.
    Different texture. One thing they actually managed to do right when transitioning to 3D.