Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Astartes, Fan made 40k film projekt

My god you guys need to see this, best 40k fan films i have ever seen, first time they get the bolters right to it's like getting hit by a train, epic as hell.

Original videos have been removed from youtube and moved to warhammer by GW, some copyright stuff after he got hired.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...tion-astartes/

Hope more will come.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2021-03-11 at 08:44 AM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    CGI has long reached the point where making a war40k movie is viable from a technology viewpoint. the issue is a game movie (tabletop vs video in this case) is always a dubious commercial proposition.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    CGI has long reached the point where making a war40k movie is viable from a technology viewpoint. the issue is a game movie (tabletop vs video in this case) is always a dubious commercial proposition.
    There is so much potential with the 40k universe, GW should hire people like this to make movies, the ultramarines 40k movie they released was not exacly great.

This looks much better and is made by some fans, although the 2 parts are very short. The Ultramarines movie was also released in 2010 so maby that has something to do with it but still gw does not seem very good with handing out the 40k license or see potential in 40k movies.

I like this comments on the video

In under two minutes of footage you have accomplished a level of grittiness, brutality and realism yet to be found in the 20 plus years of 40k depictions. Take note Games Workshop.

I think it's true, sad but true.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2018-08-26 at 04:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    There is so much potential with the 40k universe, GW should hire people like this to make movies, the ultramarines 40k movie they released was not exacly great.

This looks much better and is made by some fans, although the 2 parts are very short. The Ultramarines movie was also released in 2010 so maby that has something to do with it but still gw does not seem very good with handing out the 40k license or see potential in 40k movies.

In under two minutes of footage you have accomplished a level of grittiness, brutality and realism yet to be found in the 20 plus years of 40k depictions. Take note Games Workshop.

ultimately it is likely about money, control (both legal and possibly ego), and existing commitments (if any) by gw on movies.

the star trek axanar issue may be relevant - fans make a movie FANS will like. property owners try to dilute the hard edges of the story down and make a more broadly appealing movie and (usually) create an abomination that pleases no-one. in these types of game-derived stories, right out of the gate the studio is likely to put a romance angle in to try to appeal or at least keep a certain market segment from simply walking out of the theater or refusing to see it in the first place, for example.

[edit] I read up on the whole axanar issue.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-08-26 at 06:00 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

There are two big issues, with a cinematic release, at this time.

First of all, the story.

Fans of the 40k universe know most of the basics, despite several retcons and rewrites, aswell as many additions these days. You'd never be able to tell a decent story without making it 50% exposition, and 50% pure slaughter, and I highly doubt a movie like this would work. While I'd totally pay to see two hours of Space Marines butchering Orcs, or whatever, I doubt there is a big audience for it. People would call it a Transformers Ripp-off.

Second of all, the climate just isn't right, sadly.

The US is still the biggest audience to take int oaccount when making big projects. It needs to work there. And a big budgeted movie (movie series) with a fascist regime at its center, that battles satanic worshippers, will make the so called SJWs go berzerk. No studio will touch something like this at the moment. You'd have to drastically change the Imperium of Man, or narrow your view down so much that you'd never stay true to the source material at all.

Now I could see them making a 'Netflix' type of series revolving around an Inquisitor who analyzes an uprising in a Hive World. You could do some world-building (or rather familiarize an audience with the world) and introduce parts of it, bit by bit. Don't start out with Space Marines, start at the foundation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post

First of all, the story.

Fans of the 40k universe know most of the basics, despite several retcons and rewrites, aswell as many additions these days. You'd never be able to tell a decent story without making it 50% exposition, and 50% pure slaughter, and I highly doubt a movie like this would work. While I'd totally pay to see two hours of Space Marines butchering Orcs, or whatever, I doubt there is a big audience for it. People would call it a Transformers Ripp-off.

The US is still the biggest audience to take int oaccount when making big projects. It needs to work there. And a big budgeted movie (movie series) with a fascist regime at its center, that battles satanic worshippers, will make the so called SJWs go berzerk. No studio will touch something like this at the moment. You'd have to drastically change the Imperium of Man, or narrow your view down so much that you'd never stay true to the source material at all.

Now I could see them making a 'Netflix' type of series revolving around an Inquisitor who analyzes an uprising in a Hive World. You could do some world-building (or rather familiarize an audience with the world) and introduce parts of it, bit by bit. Don't start out with Space Marines, start at the foundation.
    Taken without doing a hollywood on it, I would certainly like to see Eisenhorn (one of my favorite books/trilogies ever).

But I feel confident saying that such a project would render the source book somewhat unrecognizable.

First of all, the story.

Good points, agree on the netflix part that it would be better to do it in parts to built up as there is ridiculous amount of lore.

About the SJW's part haha yeah didnt think about that part, the imperium are abit xenophobic and are pretty happy to purge things not like them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    Taken without doing a hollywood on it, I would certainly like to see Eisenhorn (one of my favorite books/trilogies ever).

But I feel confident saying that such a project would render the source book somewhat unrecognizable.
    Would love one about Eisenhorn.

https://youtu.be/CMGRa4_UjE4

Part 3 just got released and you just have to watch this, this guy is insane.

- - - Updated - - -

Astartes not to be fucked with

oh wow that looks good

This by the same fella that made a video of the Imperiums finding and killing a high ranked conspirator?

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    This by the same fella that made a video of the Imperiums finding and killing a high ranked conspirator?
    It's not as far as im aware this is this guys only project and he does it alone to i believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by trollpower View Post
    oh wow that looks good
    Think it does a really good job showing the horrors of facing astartes in combat.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    No, this is a different one.

The US is still the biggest audience to take int oaccount when making big projects. It needs to work there. And a big budgeted movie (movie series) with a fascist regime at its center, that battles satanic worshippers, will make the so called SJWs go berzerk.
    Speaking for the SJW community, I have no issues with a movie about a dystopian future where two different flavours of religious fanatics fight each other. Hell, its almost like there's a popular series of movies and related media about two groups of psychic practitioners who have opposite interpretations of the source of their powers. I think it has War in the title.

As for this movie. Its ok for a fan project but every real 40K fan knows that the Imperial Guard are the real heroes. Marines are so boring. Plus they don't use Ogryns. No one can make breakfast like an Ogryn.

Part 4 just released, i just need to spread the word of this amazing thing.

When astartes fight jedis nah but psykers.

Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2019-06-12 at 10:58 PM.

Hmm...Those were kinda cool.
    Thanks for posting those!

15+ Year Old Account
    Atleast they didn't sugarcoat the impact bolters have on relatively unarmored humans, fucking hell. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it makes me doubt we're gonna get a big release with that level of "lore accuracy". Definitely not marketable to cinemas in such an adult-only portrayal.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope more will come.
    The channel description says it's a 5 part mini-series so I guess we'll see what's behind door 2 in the last bit. I'm guessing... the governor mentioned very briefly in the first part? Maybe a corrupted astropath?
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

10+ Year Old Account
    Part 4 just released, i just need to spread the word of this amazing thing.

When astartes fight jedis nah but psykers.

Those psykers were idiots :/

A psyker's best defense in that case would be a coordinated effort of shielding and offense. They were fucked anyways but they should have been able to take down at least a couple marines. Granted they were ambushed but still, letting the marines get close without even trying to blast any of them was a huge tactical error.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Those psykers were idiots :/

A psyker's best defense in that case would be a coordinated effort of shielding and offense. They were fucked anyways but they should have been able to take down at least a couple marines. Granted they were ambushed but still, letting the marines get close without even trying to blast any of them was a huge tactical error.
    They had no chance they where dead as soon as the astartes boarded the ship, they knew exactly what they where doing and they knew exactly how the fight would end up, this is guys with hundreds or thousands of years of experience and in the very little time they are not deployed in warzones all they do is pray, study, train and prepare for war they study every single threat and how to kill it.

If the astartes even thought there would be issues they would have brought proper anti psyker counters i mean a single sister of silence would have wiped the floor with them, but this strike team have propably done this a hundred times you could see how they just casually moved on after killing them like they just slapped some children around.

This was also just the mopping up operation of a rebellion so most likely low level psykers not like magnus the red who can obliterate battlefleets in orbit while standing on the planet bellow.

Think it's suppost to show how insanely good they are at what they do i mean how can normal guys ( aside from the psykers) fight religiously indoctrinated from childhood, genetically modified transhuman warrior monks, each with a century of experience in war, clad in a millenniums worth of technological advancement, and personally armed with fully automatic micro-rocket launchers. Unendingly tireless, preternaturally fast, impossibly tough, supremely intelligent, precise, efficient, and completely and unsympathetically zealous in their devotion to the task at hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmm...Those were kinda cool.
    Thanks for posting those!
    Now worries just happy to spread it, it just keeps getting better and better quality wise too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Atleast they didn't sugarcoat the impact bolters have on relatively unarmored humans, fucking hell. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it makes me doubt we're gonna get a big release with that level of "lore accuracy". Definitely not marketable to cinemas in such an adult-only portrayal.

- - - Updated - - -

The channel description says it's a 5 part mini-series so I guess we'll see what's behind door 2 in the last bit. I'm guessing... the governor mentioned very briefly in the first part? Maybe a corrupted astropath?
    Also thought about something like that cant freaking wait to see.

And i really hope GW does something with this guy there is so much talent.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2019-06-13 at 07:11 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Needs more emperors children loyalist or chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Needs more emperors children loyalist or chaos.
    I take anything made by this guy, orks, necrons, nids or traitor marines, daemons you name it this guy would make it epic. But yeah i take some slanneshi traitors too with Fulgrim in all his glory too.

But he says it takes a insane amount of time to do these clips so i dunno perhaps if someone hires him to do these things with a proper team and a budget.