Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FAILoZOFF View Post
    That probably the most anticipated MMORPG game of 2019 (and overall) is a relaunch of a 15y old one? Not dissing Classic or anything like that, that's not my intention. There are good enough reasons for why it should exists as well as sufficient playerbase interested.
    It might be 'most anticipated' on game sites that are primarily about Blizzard products. I don't know that that is true anywhere else.

Lots of people have tried to do MMO's since 2005. Most of them have had WoW's success as the yardstick against which they are measured. That's dumb at this point because it's very clear that WoW was a freak thing at the time and no one at Blizzard or anywhere else expected it to do as well as it did.

Don't know if we'll ever get anything new and fresh. What are your ideas? It has to start somewhere with someone and a bright idea.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-06-12 at 06:48 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

not really, but nothing else comes anywhere close in terms of interest
    You mean other than every other MMO release, and even FF new expac has far more 'interest' than classic. I think you are confused because you only frequent fan sites aimed directly at ppl who are.........interested in classic?

Phantasy Star Online 2
    Crowfall
    Lost Ark

Those barely even scratch the surface of asian mmos that will TRAMPLE WoW Classic any way you look at it.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2019-06-13 at 12:32 AM.

No matter how good of a MMO gets made it will never ever be able to compete with time invested ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If I ever reach a point where I stop playing wow that will be the end of my MMO career.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Somewhere along the line MMOs became more about "systems" and less about the world an the players in the world they are in. I look at review sites, forums, videos and all kinds of stuff on new MMOs and all you hear about is devs talking about how systems work and why systems are important. Never talking about the actually world or environment outside of the buzz words of "huge, expansive, living world" lines we get no matter the game. Truth is back when MMOs had a lot less systems in them they were a lot more fun because people had to create and manage the systems. Sure, in some of these cases it lead to really dick head things happen. In others it lead to amazing things happening. I was like being in an actual world. In actual worlds some system doesn't prevent you from doing or being a certain way. Sure their might be punishments for doing it but no string from the sky pulls you in a different direction if you choose to go against the desired path.

I wouldn't really call it silly but rather sad that Classic WoW seems to be so highly desired. Together with various other remakes and re-masters it just shows the sad state of the gaming industry.

Modern games focus way to much on bullshit marketing with an attempt to get as much money out of you as possible. Tell me when it comes down to new MMOs, which one doesn't go for micro transactions? As soon as they go the F2P route they get infested with this crap. And even ones with buy2play (Guild Wars style) and subscription models have this micro transaction crap.

Over the last 2 years I have become more and more fed up with gaming in general. When I look at new games and their trailers my reaction often is just "meh". I don't understand how anyone can get excited for example about Death Stranding. That game looks like utter trash but they put some highly paid actors in there and some Apocalyptica music from the early 2000's (nostalgia anyone?) in the trailer and suddenly people think it's the greatest thing ever.

Oh well, I'll play at least a bit of Classic once it is released and then see if I can still enjoy it (I did, when I played for a short time on a private server around a year ago). If I get fed up then that's that.

I don't think the WoW playerbase understands how narrow and internalized the hype for classic actually is.

If I go anywhere else on the internet other than MMO-C or the WoW subreddit, I don't see a damn thing about it. It's a footnote to anyone not still actively invested in WoW. I'm not belittling the people who are excited for it but it's really not the savior of the MMORPG genre that the WoW playerbase seems to think it is, nobody else is really interested at all.
    To call it "the most anticipated MMORPG of 2019 (and overall)" is a bit ridiculous.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Source please.
    That's MORE than obvious. You don't need a source . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsoni View Post
    Its like when you make a MMO where your time invested is meaningfull is attractive and where you cant just buy your way forward ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Gold selling and MC/BWL loot run sales were rampant in Vanilla. If you think this wasn't the case, you either weren't there or you are ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    You mean other than every other MMO release, and even FF new expac has far more 'interest' than classic. I think you are confused because you only frequent fan sites aimed directly at ppl who are.........interested in classic?

Phantasy Star Online 2
    Crowfall
    Lost Ark

Those barely even scratch the surface of asian mmos that will TRAMPLE WoW Classic any way you look at it.
    Exclude Asian mmos. They are like insta fail from launch,killed either by p2w or hackers
    Exclude expansions. They do not bring new stuff to the genre to in 99% if cases.
    That means nothing is planned for 2019-2020 yet.
    Unless some indies will come up with fresh ideas. Goo thing cloud servers are common tech now

Quote Originally Posted by swdan View Post
    Exclude expansions. They do not bring new stuff to the genre to in 99% if cases.
    Neither does classic, yet here we are talking about it.

You can't just exclude shit you don't personally agree with to fulfill your personal view of what the most hyped MMORPG is.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Source please.
    For what? The OP's hypothetical theory or mine?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeDog View Post
    Somewhere along the line MMOs became more about "systems" and less about the world an the players in the world they are in. I look at review sites, forums, videos and all kinds of stuff on new MMOs and all you hear about is devs talking about how systems work and why systems are important. Never talking about the actually world or environment outside of the buzz words of "huge, expansive, living world" lines we get no matter the game. Truth is back when MMOs had a lot less systems in them they were a lot more fun because people had to create and manage the systems. Sure, in some of these cases it lead to really dick head things happen. In others it lead to amazing things happening. I was like being in an actual world. In actual worlds some system doesn't prevent you from doing or being a certain way. Sure their might be punishments for doing it but no string from the sky pulls you in a different direction if you choose to go against the desired path.
    That's one of the things i was considering tbh. I made even a thread on mmoc along the lines asking if WoW is still a MMO game. "World" in retail WoW is pretty much meaningless as its only some sort of "lobby" while you wait for instanced content. Don't get me wrong here... Vanilla did that aspect badly too... just better than current WoW. Thing is for many people in classic vanilla was pretty much all about the leveling and doing some mundane tasks... that happened in the world. It at least gave some sort of an illusion of a "living" digital world.
    There wasn't even really any attempts to create MMO that would try to create this "second life" kind of experience Vanilla was scrapping at times and many people desire.

Until they play it ..

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Yes you can. You can buy boosts just like you can in retail. The only difference between classic and retail is that you actually have to be somewhat skilled to do the endgame content in retail (without buy boosts that is) while classic just takes time but zero actual skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    what game are you talking about?
    vanilla you could buy your way forward just as much as you can now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zensunni View Post
    Gold selling and MC/BWL loot run sales were rampant in Vanilla. If you think this wasn't the case, you either weren't there or you are ignorant.
    There is a huge and fundamental difference between having it available as a legitimate option procured by Blizzard themselfs and some 3rd party site with the risk of getting scammed. If you think there isnt a major difference between those two, you are ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Isilarya View Post
    I dont trust people to even be objective when new mmos come out if we are being honest. Some people have so much of their lives sunk into WoW they dont want to leave so even if they try another if one single thing is wrong they will be like yup knew it going back to my character.
    thats true actually... if you didn't have a Blizzard (of that time) behind it or any somewhat strong competition, it could have not survive its infantry.
    Most games don't get this luxury of getting the credit of trust. So as soon as people try a new game and see its... shortconing, they leave and then so do devs. So far there were only few games that had a rough start but then got better and WoW is among them (the other ones I know are for instance Is tESO and No Mans Sky).

That probably the most anticipated MMORPG game of 2019 (and overall) is a relaunch of a 15y old one? Not dissing Classic or anything like that, that's not my intention. There are good enough reasons for why it should exists as well as sufficient playerbase interested.
    I just find it funny that whole industry in over a decade didn't come up with a better idea for MMO than Blizzard did. And yes, while WoW (vanilla) did many things right and fine, there are aspects and quirks to it that are very... so so.
    My personal problem with classic is that it's a "dead game", dead in a sense that a language can be "dead". It still might function just fine and all but it's development processes have stopped.
    I mean... will we ever again get to know some fresh blood and ideas in MMO genre?
    considering how most of game companies are focusing on remasters of old games , and one of biggest hits of E3 was the remaster of age of empires no its not silly

this proves that nostalgia is very strong in 30+ year old gamers.

i see a very strong divide - old generations are driven by nostalgia

while young generations dont care about neither pc or consoles because they enjoy mobile games.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Yeah, so you only THINK it's the most anticipated release, because you frequent MMO-Champion and other WoW sources and don't even know what else is coming. Ok. Got it.
    What else is coming?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    You got any other MMORPGs that are being talked about that release this year?
    plenty

i suggest you look for them in other places then wow section of forum which is 90% tailored towards blizzard games.

there is plenty youtube channels that discuss mmorpgs other then wow all the time.

not trying to advertise but i would point you towards https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyo...q0ukew4WHlw2mQ

with their weekly content.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    What else is coming?
    Read back, already answered that one.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsoni View Post
    There is a huge and fundamental difference between having it available as a legitimate option procured by Blizzard themselfs and some 3rd party site with the risk of getting scammed. If you think there isnt a major difference between those two, you are ignorant.
    On my guild Al'Akir-EU there were top guilds who would bring 5-10 item buyers to their MC and BWL runs. It wasnt super common on all servers perhaps, but it definitely wasnt unheard of.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis