Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leodric View Post
    I hope they leave it as it is and not change anything but maybe show us more details in specific scenarios. Doubt they will change huge parts, wouldn't see a reason to do so
    I can give you a good reason, because current writers are so full of themselves that they think they can make it better.

7+ Year Old Account
    So, reading the respones I realized new dreadful changes they would make:

-Changing the Night Elves approach to the orcs, making Grom the initial aggressor
    -Changing human characters to paint them as victims (Garithos, Daelin)
    -More and more Jaina
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    So, reading the respones I realized new dreadful changes they would make:

-Changing the Night Elves approach to the orcs, making Grom the initial aggressor
    -Changing human characters to paint them as victims (Garithos, Daelin)
    -More and more Jaina
    The last one is a given, since Golden cant resist to self-insert herself constantly into the story.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    The last one is a given, since Golden cant resist to self-insert herself constantly into the story.
    I often wonder. Which one is the self-insert?
    Jaina? Anduin? Baine?
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

I really didn't play it for the story back in the day, I may actually read/ listen to it now. I loved the gameplay.

Jaina? Anduin? Baine?
    Any character someone dislikes instantly is a mary-sue, so the answer probably is "all of the above"

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    What?! When did they retconned that?
    12-14 years ago....

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SaneOstrich View Post
    Any character someone dislikes instantly is a mary-sue, so the answer probably is "all of the above"
    Well, Anduin and BfA Jaina ARE Mary Sue's, no matter how you slice it. As for Baine, it's a stellar example of a character who writers try so hard to make it "likeable", that they achieve exactly the opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Jaina? Anduin? Baine?
    Jaina is the self insert, Anduin is the child she never had and Baine is a narative tool to show everyone how they should view Humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    12-14 years ago....
    Damn, didn't know about it. Time to re-read a few things I guess.

Jaina is the self insert, Anduin is the child she never had and Baine is a narative tool to show everyone how they should view Humans.
    And Sylvanas is her friend that stole her first boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Well, Anduin and BfA Jaina ARE Mary Sue's, no matter how you slice it. As for Baine, it's a stellar example of a character who writers try so hard to make it "likeable", that they achieve exactly the opposite.
    We have wildly differing views on what a mary sue is, fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    And Sylvanas is her friend that stole her first boyfriend.
    I dont think she is writing Sylvanas at all, that dishonor goes to Afrasiabi.

Thats why only about 15% of the book is about her and 80% is about Anduin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I still don't think "self-inserts" can be retroactive. Every author puts some of themselves, often a lot of themselves, in their writing - it's an unavoidable part of the process. But that doesn't make a given character a self-insert, you need a bit more scaffolding than that. And since almost all of WoW's characters have had multiple authors with multiple footprints on them, you also have integrate that into your own presentation of the character (which every author achieves with mixed results depending on their relative skill).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I still don't think "self-inserts" can be retroactive. Every author puts some of themselves, often a lot of themselves, in their writing - it's an unavoidable part of the process. But that doesn't make a given character a self-insert, you need a bit more scaffolding than that. And since almost all of WoW's characters have had multiple authors with multiple footprints on them, you also have integrate that into your own presentation of the character (which every author achieves with mixed results depending on their relative skill).
    This would work if we werent talking about Blizzard writing team, those people are petty and spiteful.

By the way, how many Jaina cinematics written by AMAZING Christie Golden do we need to convince you?

Quote Originally Posted by SaneOstrich View Post
    We have wildly differing views on what a mary sue is, fair enough.
    List me one flaw that Anduin has that the narrative acknowledges or one instance where the story has treated him as being wrong:

Spoiler: You can't. The God-King is flawless and all who disagree with him will either come around or become cartoon villains to be disposed of.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    This would work if we werent talking about Blizzard writing team, those people are petty and spiteful.

By the way, how many Jaina cinematics written by AMAZING Christie Golden do we need to convince you?
    I don't think Blizzard's writing team are either petty or spiteful, really; they've made different decisions than I would've made certainly - and I think they've made some errors as well, but not maliciously. As for Jaina cinematics, I'm not really sure what you're referring to.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    exactly what im expecting or worse.

Like Grom going in a killing rampage before anything after They "totally warned and talk to then"

And this is just the bottom, totally can see how "it was just Garithos who dislike the elves not alliance fault"
    In fact, Garithos represented humans of Lordaeron, not Stormwind, so it wasn't Alliance's fault. That said, Stormwind didn't help blood elves in anything.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I don't think Blizzard's writing team are either petty or spiteful, really;
    This entire expansion exists because Afrasiabi was pissed that Kosak killed his orc warchief. How is that not spiteful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    This entire expansion exists because Afrasiabi was pissed that Kosak killed his orc warchief. How is that not spiteful.
    You'll have to produce some kind of evidence of that position beyond just your opinion. Cite some sources, give a critical breakdown, something of substance on an evidential basis.

One standout of BFA is that now whenever I remember how much Mists pissed me off I can rest easy knowing that at least we didn't get a Mists where noblesavage Garrosh is inspired by Anduin to plead with Varian for his assistance to restore honor to the Horde from Sylvanas. And all the other orcs are still baddies because we need raid fodder.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.