Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    That's one of the greatest losses that came with MMOs getting hugely popular rather than maintaining a little more of a niche genre.
    Agreed. however, lol, if this WoW Classic discord I am in is any indication of the sorts of people who will be playing, I fear for the community. I'm just hoping all these memelord trolls end up on a PvP server or at least not on any server i'm on.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Well props to the OP for actually apologising. Judging by their posting history they were pretty damn condescending towards people who simply enjoy modern WoW and its convenience/ease of access, calling people newfags, uSiNG mIxEd cAsE to effectively call people autists.

I mean I can literally quote the OP here from a post he made on 27th May:

Charming man.
    He's also a new account, and this was possibly the plan all along, to just post bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelaphim-EX View Post
    Some people will enjoy it.
    Some will hate it.
    Some will never try it.

It is all preference. It is a nice option to have, so long as it does not (and they have said it has not) detract from Live content production.
    Updated...

Some people will enjoy it.
    Some will hate it.
    Some will never try it.
    Some have already lived it

I'd say a great number of us spent about a year just getting to 60, some even longer, when WoW first launched. It wasn't a race and you just played an hour here and there at nights, the occasional long stretch on a weekend.
    I know it's been ~15 years since I played classic, but this, coupled with that "leveling calculator" that was floating around on here lets me know that I don't remember anything about classic. I don't remember it taking me anywhere near even a month* to get to 60, let alone longer.

*I put some random data into the calculator and it said it should take me 28 days to hit 60. I swear I put in some fairly high numbers like 4-5 hours a day, everyday. Just seemed crazy long from what I remember about leveling, which apparently isn't much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Agreed. however, lol, if this WoW Classic discord I am in is any indication of the sorts of people who will be playing, I fear for the community. I'm just hoping all these memelord trolls end up on a PvP server or at least not on any server i'm on.
    They'll die out because they won't want to stick with the grind of an old school MMO.
    The ones who do stick it out will be the ones who made Barrens chat infamous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilbruz View Post
    Why does "X" always have to potentially kill "Y"? Why can´t we just agree that both "X" and "Y" is ok, and can live side by side
    I am one that believes they can both be successful, but the community here is like cancer. All they know how to do is attack one another and try to destroy each other. I wouldn't bother tbh.

this will likely be the predominant outcome.

many people thought they did, but they don't.

but, i do hope it'll be a big enough audience to get BC servers out at least. BC is just objectively better in every way than classic, yet maintains old school paradigms that people crave. with the resounding success of BC servers, wotlk servers would come, and then i can finally go live in at least some amount of comfort as i wait for the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Well props to the OP for actually apologising. Judging by their posting history they were pretty damn condescending towards people who simply enjoy modern WoW and its convenience/ease of access, calling people newfags, uSiNG mIxEd cAsE to effectively call people autists.

I mean I can literally quote the OP here from a post he made on 27th May:

Charming man.

In any case looting individual mobs isn't that big a deal in classic. You still have auto-loot. Unless you're doing massive AoE pulls, you usually don't have very many corpses to loot in one go. If you think 8.2 will revive BfA, more power to you, but from what I've seen in the clips, it will boost it somewhat, but certainly not revive it to the level you're hoping.
    What I find amazing, is that the mods seems to never ban these obvious troll accounts, while tossing out infragments left and right if someone dares to speak up against them.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

I wish they'd bring that back. I miss bumping into people I recognize during my adventures. I do miss that close-knit / familiarity feeling - there was something comforting in knowing players from your server, or at least your own server had a familiarity to it that was comforting.

ow it just feels kind of cold and empty unless you have a good friend or two. I don't know how they would bring it back but I wish they would do something to reignite / infuse / reinvigorate what being part of a server / playing on your own realm did for the game and for the player experience.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I know it's been ~15 years since I played classic, but this, coupled with that "leveling calculator" that was floating around on here lets me know that I don't remember anything about classic. I don't remember it taking me anywhere near even a month* to get to 60, let alone longer.

*I put some random data into the calculator and it said it should take me 28 days to hit 60. I swear I put in some fairly high numbers like 4-5 hours a day, everyday. Just seemed crazy long from what I remember about leveling, which apparently isn't much.
    4-5 hours a day does seem really high to still claim 28 days. Like I said, a lot of us spent about a year because even back then we weren't playing all the time. You'd play an hour when you had free time at night and a few longer sessions.

There were plenty of people who played a lot more and would get there quickly, sure.

But keep in mind there are just a lot of things that naturally make the game longer. You have to travel from A to B in more instances without portals to hop around and short cut. There aren't teleport items. A lot of people didn't even have their first mount until they were near 50 just from lack of gold to invest in it (and I know a lot of people kind of questioned if it was really worth the cost) and that's just for the first mount, not the faster one.

Waiting for ships to arrive so you could travel to another continent.

Wanting to do a quest but having to wait for other people in the zone to join you for it.

There's a lot of aspects of old school MMOs that increase time played without accomplishing what you set out to do. A lot of us also probably burned hours chatting with friends & guildmates instead of leveling, but those hours chatting are probably the source of more cherished memories for a lot of people.

I still fondly remember names from my EverQuest guild because they were just enjoyable people to chat with while playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    They'll die out because they won't want to stick with the grind of an old school MMO.
    The ones who do stick it out will be the ones who made Barrens chat infamous.
    lol true. Many in the discord are going on and on about how easy the raids are, and how quickly they will burn through them. I don't think they realize how tedious gearing was, and how crucial gear became as you progress to later raids. If I recall, you only get like 2-3 pieces of gear off each boss, per week. And each boss having their own loot tables really minimizes the chances are getting gear fast when you have to share it with 40 other people. It takes months sometimes to get a full set.

I don't think some of them are properly prepared for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerbill Society View Post
    Classic is not for everyone, and there is no problem with that.
    Such an obvious thing and yet almost no one on this website seems to get it

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Agreed. *Thumbs Up*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    this will likely be the predominant outcome.

many people thought they did, but they don't.

but, i do hope it'll be a big enough audience to get BC servers out at least. BC is just objectively better in every way than classic, yet maintains old school paradigms that people crave. with the resounding success of BC servers, wotlk servers would come, and then i can finally go live in at least some amount of comfort as i wait for the end.
    BC was by far my favorite. Partially because I main a Druid, and it freed me of my healer chains. Also had my favorite boss fight of all times, Lady Vash'j = ) Out of all the bosses i've slain, I never felt more of an achievement than beating her for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    lol true. Many in the discord are going on and on about how easy the raids are, and how quickly they will burn through them. I don't think they realize how tedious gearing was, and how crucial gear became as you progress to later raids. If I recall, you only get like 2-3 pieces of gear off each boss, per week. And each boss having their own loot tables really minimizes the chances are getting gear fast when you have to share it with 40 other people. It takes months sometimes to get a full set.

I don't think some of them are properly prepared for this.
    I think this is what I'm always thinking when I tell people raids will be facerolled and they are extremely easy. Sure the actual fights might be easier than current fights, but the way people say it implies there will be full clears by week 2 by gobs of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dunkl View Post
    I wish they'd bring that back. I miss bumping into people I recognize during my adventures. I do miss that close-knit / familiarity feeling - there was something comforting in knowing players from your server, or at least your own server had a familiarity to it that was comforting.

ow it just feels kind of cold and empty unless you have a good friend or two. I don't know how they would bring it back but I wish they would do something to reignite / infuse / reinvigorate what being part of a server / playing on your own realm did for the game and for the player experience.
    They'd need to shut down servers and push people in together. But that would be them admitting that the game is declining in players.

It's like a mother who leaves their child's room decorated for years after they have moved out. They just can't accept that people are gone and not coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Definitely true.

It's from a time when this entire genre was niche. RPGs were niche to begin with, MMORPGs were even moreso.
    I don't think Blizzard ever set out to implement this project thinking it would be a huge thing. They're likely aware it's going to be a niche thing that won't require too many servers.

But there are still people who play original EverQuest, enough to support a few servers, so there will be enough players on Classic WoW to maintain its presence.

And people who are interested to experience "what it used to be like" can simply pop on and play it a little when they're caught up on the current expansion's content for the week.

Quote Originally Posted by WowClassic View Post
    So I've been talking about how great Classic will be and have probably been one of the biggest fanboys around. However I recently got into the beta and I have to admit I got it completely and totally wrong. A few minutes after sitting there hitting mobs you get the sinking feeling of "I'm too old for this". Having to click each individual mob to loot them is painfully tedious. I got to level 5 on my Rogue and realised I couldn't play any more. I've realised that the quality of life improvements in the main game aren't the problem, it's just that BfA has been a lacklustre expansion and I believe this will rapidly change with the release of 8.2. I now think that 8.2 will kill Classic not the other way around.

I just wanted to apologise to all the people I attacked for doubting the success of Classic. I believe many, many people will go through the same experience as I have.
    I am happy that you got into beta and realized that. Don't need whining like this during launch. One less, cool.

I think it will be a novel experiance but the QoL changes that are gone will be a turn off to a large chunk of the vocal "current wow is shit" mob.

I am most excited for the old zone music to be honest.

I'm curious to see how many people are excited for Classic but have not played private servers. I genuinely enjoy Vanilla WoW but I have also played on several private servers over the years and was one of the people saying that Blizz making a Classic server did not make sense due to how quickly the content was consumed and how fast the playerbase of each of the private servers rose and fell.

I'm still not exactly sure how long the player base of these servers will stick around but it would definitely make more sense if many of the people hyping up Classic have not actually played on many private servers. Again, I enjoy Vanilla and am looking forward to Classic, but I've seen many people ignore concerns that arise out of having played on private servers and if many of these people simply have not played on private servers, or have only played on Nost, that would explain it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.