Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

25 officers injured in Memphis after marshals kill fugitive

https://apnews.com/c290fd44dace4fe7b836110de77c1894

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Armed officers and an angry crowd faced off after a black man was fatally shot in a confrontation with U.S. marshals in a working-class Memphis neighborhood.

People in the crowd threw rocks and bricks, with 25 officers suffering mostly minor injuries during the tense clash Wednesday night in the Frayser community in north Memphis. Officers cordoned off several blocks near the scene. By 11 p.m., officers had used tear gas and most of the crowd dispersed, police director Michael Rallings said at a Thursday morning at a news conference. Three people were arrested.

Officers on horseback patrolled the area, and lines of police cars with flashing blue lights were parked along the street. An ambulance could be seen at the outer edge of the scene. A helicopter flew overhead as police cars trickled away. Streets were blocked and the police presence remained heavy Thursday. Tensions between police and black activists have been high in recent years in Memphis following several police-involved shootings.

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Keli McAlister said the Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force went to a Frayser home to look for a suspect with felony warrants. Marshals saw the man get into a vehicle and then proceed to ram task force vehicles several times before exiting with a weapon, McAlister said. Marshals then opened fire, killing the man who died at the scene. McAlister did not say how many marshals fired or how many times the man was shot.

Edit: Found some more information.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/1-memphis...152337354.html

Public records show he was arrested previously for possessing marijuana and drug paraphernalia and driving with an expired or suspended license and with an improperly displayed registration plate. It was not immediately clear if he was ever prosecuted.

Shortly before he was shot on Wednesday, Webber posted a live video on Facebook that showed him in a car, rapping and apparently smoking marijuana. In the video, he looked out the window and said he saw police. With a laugh, he looked directly into the camera and said the officers would "have to kill me."

The video appeared to have been removed from his Facebook page late Thursday morning.
    Sounds like possible suicide by cop.

Update: 2:30pm(pst)
    Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland said about 35 officers were injured, raising the number significantly from the 24 reported earlier. He said six needed hospital treatment.
    Update: 3pm
    US marshals were serving a warrant related to a June 3 shooting
    US marshals were serving a warrant for Brandon Webber related to a June 3 shooting in Hernando, Mississippi, according to District Attorney John Champion.

Webber had been in Hernando on June 3 to answer to an ad on Facebook regarding the purchase of a vehicle, Champion said at a news conference today. Webber and the seller got in the car for a test drive.

As they were outside switching seats, Champion said Webber shot the victim five times and stole the vehicle.

The victim survived and was able to identify Webber from a photo lineup, the district attorney said. The victim is still hospitalized.

Champion said Webber used a “bogus” Facebook account and phone number when setting up the transaction.

Authorities reached out to US marshals on June 8 and asked them to arrest Webber on warrants for aggravated assault, armed robbery and conspiracy to commit armed robbery.

Webber was driving a red Infinity yesterday — the same vehicle stolen in Hernando, authorities said.

Authorities in Hernando said they are looking for a second suspect connected to the robbery and believe that person is also in Memphis. They said the suspect drove Webber to Hernando, but was not in the car for the test drive.
    Last edited by Deus Mortis; 2019-06-13 at 11:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The anger has been building for a while, throw in another puff piece about how this is no big deal this is just a few.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

If he was ramming police cars then genuinely did have a weapon, I can understand why they shot him. Although considering a lot of the "he had a weapon" claims that turn out to be bullshit I can see why people are skeptical. No excuse for rioting or violence though. If it turns out he did have a weapon and was smashing police cars, then I can understand the police being threatened. Although shooting a suspect should always be last resort imo.

If it does turn out he was unarmed though, there should be criminal charges against the police. It seems that shooting someone is taken too lightly by a lot of officers. Taking someones life should always be a difficult thing you don't want to do but sometimes might have to. Where as too often, it seems like it's done just because it's the easier option. Look at the police in the UK, they have to call in armed police if they need them and often face people with weapons unarmed and manage to diffuse/handle the situation.

As for the rioting and violence, I don't understand that. Either the police are racist and you're just giving them excuses to be violent back or they aren't and you're being violent towards people just trying to do their jobs. I especially don't understand when these riots turn into destroying local property, that just seems stupid. Destroying your own neighbourhood to spite the police, that's logical...

Why are they angry a violent and unstable man died while attacking police again...?

They claim to want a better system but despise any system that actually protects them disgraceful.

How dare the cops do their jobs? So racist. They probably shouted "This is MAGA country!" while they did it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

This is what happens when police is too soft

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Keli McAlister said the Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force went to a Frayser home to look for a suspect with felony warrants. Marshals saw the man get into a vehicle and then proceed to ram task force vehicles several times before exiting with a weapon, McAlister said. Marshals then opened fire, killing the man who died at the scene. McAlister did not say how many marshals fired or how many times the man was shot.
    Ya'll need to pick better martyrs to support. This guy sounds pretty unstable. Definitely not the hill I'd want to die on.
    In my day we didn't have World of Warcraft or Guild Wars. We had World War 2, and when you shot at the Germans it aggroed five thousand of their friends!

"A blind, deaf, comatose lobotomy patient could feel my anger!!"

marshalls do their jobs, violent criminals act out in response. if only they could shoot the brick throwing animals too.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he was actually ramming cop cars and then got out with a weapon at the police I think it's pretty reasonable to shoot him.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post
    Yeah, clearly the cops should be beating anyone who walks up to them, and shooting anyone who might have the slightest potential of being dangerous. /nod

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    Sounds like possible suicide by cop.

My thought as well.

Some cultures frown on suicide, so people put the cops in situations where the cops have to shoot them.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

In areas like Memphis and St Louis, policing has been so bad for so long that the relationship is purely adversarial.

Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    Why are they angry a violent and unstable man died while attacking police again...?

They claim to want a better system but despise any system that actually protects them disgraceful.
    It's irrelevant. As long as these retards see it's a black man, they'll take issue even if it's a serial child rapist murderer the police shot dead.

This is America.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    In areas like Memphis and St Louis, policing has been so bad for so long that the relationship is purely adversarial.
    The police and criminals have always had an adversarial relationship.

I like how you place all the blame on the cops and not the people dealing drugs, assaulting people, shooting people, stealing, destroying property, etc, etc, etc. As if the adversarial relationship started because of the police, ROFL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    But no matter if was true, one can not fault the police for shooting a guy who had rammed their cars with his and came out his car holding a weapon. At that moment he was a threat to anyone in that area. The evidence is pretty clear since the officer who shot him is not going to be charged.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    But no matter if was true, one can not fault the police for shooting a guy who had rammed their cars with his and came out his car holding a weapon. At that moment he was a threat to anyone in that area. The evidence is pretty clear since the officer who shot him is not going to be charged.
    but dont you know, police are sharpshooters and should shoot the gun out of his hand and then karate chop him in the neck rendering him unconscious /s

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post
    To soft? American police aren’t soft compared to most first world country’s.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    The police and criminals have always had an adversarial relationship.

I like how you place all the blame on the cops and not the people dealing drugs, assaulting people, shooting people, stealing, destroying property, etc, etc, etc. As if the adversarial relationship started because of the police, ROFL!
    It’s arguable that it did start with the police with things like the war on drugs poor community policing and a few key cases of wrongful shootings. Of course the criminals are at fault as well but criminals aren’t going to just stop existing and the police shouldn’t be making a divide like they have been doing for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    To soft? American police aren’t soft compared to most first world country’s.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s arguable that it did start with the police with things like the war on drugs poor community policing and a few key cases of wrongful shootings. Of course the criminals are at fault as well but criminals aren’t going to just stop existing and the police shouldn’t be making a divide like they have been doing for years.
    Well I have a helpful solution to this problem!

This reminds me of when there was a protest in San Francisco on the anniversary of the death of someone who had been shot by the police. Nevermind that he had actually been killed in an active shootout with police and was actually determined to have been killed by a ricochet of a bullet from his own gun.

I mean, I'm not going to suggest police never engage in shady behavior or have over-itchy trigger fingers that find disproportionately black targets. I'm not saying that's not an issue, and this thread didn't even get to 10 posts without irrelevant entirely speculative racial dog-whistle comments. But, you know, time and place. This just might not be the very best example to use for your protest. Perhaps.