Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post

In the South West lots of illegal immigrants die from exposure, so religious nuts started putting out water for them. You know, cause Jesus.

Border Patrol and militia groups destroy the water. So far nobody has been shot.

So we have people here who are helping immigrants as well.

I have to add all our illegal immigrants are economic and are looking for work, which they easily find.
    Since when does it make you a religious nut to try and stop people from dying? America also has refugees coming it they are not all economic.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    If a person is from Bulgaria or something, and want to move to the Nordics, that's fine. Bulgaria is a functioning, stable country, where everyone can get all the papers they need for legal entry. But if you grew up in a poor village in the middle of a war zone where every day may be your last, you might not be able to get a passport and such, or have enough information on the formality of the process. Give these people a break.
    i want to move to another country... i cant... why should they get to skip when i cant?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aylaman View Post
    Should really get rid of the refugee convention, it's a relic of a time that is long gone now. It was made for another world than what currently exists.
    Refugee are still a very real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    That's just false.
    In your case probably, given your post history.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    They get directed to a port, they do not just pick one.
    So they move to an Italian port where the authorities have said they are not allowed to dock. WTF are you smoking dude?

Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    So they move to an Italian port where the authorities have said they are not allowed to dock. WTF are you smoking dude?
    They are directed to a port picked by the MRCC that is responsible for the area.

You act as if "authorities" are a hive mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Welfare systems don't base the amount of support they offer on the number who need said support. Adding more people to that list does not reduce the benefits for others. That's your claim, and it's categorically untrue.
    Welfare systems that do not take the number they support into account will quickly bankrupt the state operating them. Economics will still have to be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    That's just false.
    Let me clarify:
    Responsible, educated, moral human: We care about the well-being about our fellow man and woman around the world, and we sacrifice willingly some of our resources to help people who happen to be in a much worse situation than ourselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    i want to move to another country... i cant... why should they get to skip when i cant?
    If you can debate this issue on a gaming forum, which also kinda implies you can also play WoW and other games, you're not in the same demography that I'm referring to. But sure, if you were taking a very dangerous journey and found yourself in desperate need of help, I don't think the ships should demand papers before picking you up.
    Mother pus bucket!

Let me clarify:
    Responsible
    Which you are not, otherwise you wouldn't be suggesting irresponsible solutions.

educated
    Questionable.

moral
    Definitely doesn't fit you. It's highly immoral to drop people off in a country that has explicitly said they do not want them.

We care about the well-being about our fellow man and woman around the world, and we sacrifice willingly some of our resources to help people who happen to be in a much worse situation than ourselves.
    No, you're just another person who likes to talk big on internet about how much you care but you won't give anything up in real life.

They are directed to a port picked by the MRCC that is responsible for the area.

You act as if "authorities" are a hive mind.
    Are the MRCC actually involved? Or at least the Libyan one ?

right or wrong
    while i think she is a human trafficer trying to do good (road is paved with good intentions)
    the end doesnt always justify the means

and its simple really italy is having a hard time dealing with those boat immigrants and is looking to set a example to discourage others from this kind of crap so they wil definatly try to do that to her and i'm fairly sure she wil loose and go to jail

Quote Originally Posted by Natta Lmo View Post
    tell them to turn around... if they wont turn around then use force to make them...
    That strategy works on land. It doesn't work so much at sea. And the last time it was attempted, it generated an international outcry at the heartless Europeans...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DKjaigen View Post
    Are the MRCC actually involved? Or at least the Libyan one ?
    If I remember correctly this region was overseen by Malta.

Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    You must be delusional. Money doesn't magically appear from nowhere. Doesn't matter if its from other social programs or from other part of budget.

Wasting money on lazy migrants means someone else won't get money. Increasing budget for migrants means education might get less money, welfare of local people in need will be reduced or wherever else those money will be pulled. It always comes at someone else's expense.
    It also decreases wages and raises the levels of poverty and crime but they won't hear it. They simply mumble about the elite keeping them down as they advocate for endless charity.

This case is obviously politicized to the max. Though I will agree that probably catching them off right at the Lybian shores and then bringing them over to the Europe is not going to go well over for more than one reason.
    20 years is ridiculous though. You can get less for murder and rape.

Those boats are not from war zone, so they are coming from safe place. Real refugees would have stayed in first safe place. But when they leave safe place for promises of better life, they stop being refugees and become migrants.
    I will give you an example - Eritrea. It is not a warzone, but it would be really hard not to understand getting the hell out of there.

If I remember correctly this region was overseen by Malta.
    Libya has its own MRCC. But its quite clear what happened . The boat picked the economic migrants up in Libyan waters and contacted the Maltese MRCC instead of the Libyan. Because the Libyan MRCC would have demanded they set course to Tripoli or Misratah

I don't know the evidence, but if there are people in danger in the sea, you MUST save them. Anyone saying the opposite can fuck off.

After that, it is a matter of the law where they end up.
    The courts will decide if the captain of the ship went to the correct legal destination.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

10+ Year Old Account
    She did the right thing she is a Good human being vs all the other POS condemning her. The world needs a lot more of her.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Please show me where on Mediterranean Sea is Eritrea's coastline.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can't tell difference between saving people and trafficking them 2000km from one side of sea to another, you can do what you just suggested.

She wasn't saving them to save them. She coordinated with traffickers that intentionally sunk boats near African coast line, picked them up and instead of returning to country of origin that is nearby, she ferried them across the sea to Italy. That's not saving, that's trafficking.

- - - Updated - - -

No, world needs fewer human traffickers, not more.
    No fuck that she’s a human being I would do the same thing.

Allowing indifference to let people die who never done anything to me and don’t mean me harm is stupid. I don’t care where they are from their skin color, gender or orientation.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    Except it is not human trafficking. No matter how many people echo it (Who somehow all come from the same political leaning). It is assisting to illegal border crossing. At worst human smuggling. But human trafficking it is not by definition.
    Victims of human trafficking are eligible for T visa. So when you hear someone charged with trafficking what happens is:

the immigrants get visa. and when the case gets to court, the smuggler is not found to be trafficker but smuggler.
    (don't know what happens to the visa afterwards, but I doubt it gets revoked)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_visa
    Last edited by d00mGuArD; 2019-06-13 at 08:28 PM.
    and the geek shall inherit the earth