Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account

Call of Duty Series Seems to less popular than before

Once remembered that around 8 years ago, when I was still in University, Call of Duty series were popular around. At that time, my friends and me always find time to watch & Play in sequence, then, when everyone got their own PC, we just get together to make several multi-play zombie missions together. (By the way, Black Ops I, Modern Welfare II, World at War are really epic in story plots, I can never forget the scene when Mason and Reznov escaped from Volkota,Reznov draw attention of coming gulag troops and let mason jump to a cargo train to escape)

While at present,most of us have our budgets for a high-spec PC and even with all accessories, but few of us continue to focus attention on this series, or this category of games. I know that after a time, the game quality seems to dropped, few new feature but repeated contents. But What's on earth made people have less attention to Call of Duty series?

Doesn't surprise me. Release the same game every year, with better polish, people are going to move on.
    Never underestimate the unknown, or some shit. *shrugs i unno*

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawlhero View Post
    Doesn't surprise me. Release the same game every year, with better polish, people are going to move on.
    yes, Actvision just want to drain every drops of value out, they abandon it.

CoD is still the highest selling game in every single year that a rockstar game hasn't released in this gen.

"less popular" yes, still fucking massive as shit. Reminds of the WoW is dying takes that always crop up. Just because a fucking massive game has slightly less players then before doesn't make it dead.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    CoD is still the highest selling game in every single year that a rockstar game hasn't released in this gen.

"less popular" yes, still fucking massive as shit. Reminds of the WoW is dying takes that always crop up. Just because a fucking massive game has slightly less players then before doesn't make it dead.
    It is said that Actvision seems to want new works of CoD series be multiplyer only, as many other latest FPS, what a terrible news.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawlhero View Post
    Doesn't surprise me. Release the same game every year, with better polish with more MTX and less content, people are going to move on.
    FTFY 10char

The numbers speak for themselves.if its highest selling game then its not less popular. Sure it's less popular on the internet and how people perceive it. Kinda like how nickleback is one of the most hated bands, yet they do completely fine.

Group mentality and jokes becoming the stereotype does not give an accurate depiction of the situation.

Difficult metrics are involved here. Absolute numbers are an awkward measure of "popularity" - which, by the most naive logic, should probably be represented as a fraction between who likes something and how many people there are in total. Just looking at sales numbers is an incomplete picture, because you'd need to look at the overall games market as well to have any sort of meaningful relative comparison.

For example, if you sold 1,000,000 copies, what does that tell you? Is it popular or not? If there's a market of 2,000,000 gamers, then 1,000,000 would be 50% of that - making it phenomenally popular. If the market is 100,000,000 gamers, however, you're only at 1% - and the same 1,000,000 number suddenly doesn't look all that impressive.

This is important because gaming is a growing industry, and the past decade especially has seen the market expand at unprecedented rates. If the sales of games like CoD have not expanded along with it, then by definition the game has become less popular. But that doesn't mean it's not "successful", because that, too, is a relative metric and its evaluation criteria keep on changing.

One can conjecture with a fair amount of confidence that CoD games are still profitable - and that's the most important factor to the publishers. HOW profitable, now, that is the next most interesting question; and getting reliable data on that is nigh-on impossible. They keep making them, though, and one would assume there's a reason behind that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    The numbers speak for themselves.if its highest selling game then its not less popular. Sure it's less popular on the internet and how people perceive it. Kinda like how nickleback is one of the most hated bands, yet they do completely fine.

Group mentality and jokes becoming the stereotype does not give an accurate depiction of the situation.
    I mean, Black Ops 4 only made 500 million in 3 days. How can that even be considered a popular game at that point? /s

It's still massively popular, you and your friends just moved on, OP. Peoples tastes change

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like its popping like its always been. The only thing stopping the next one from doing crazy numbers is a saturated FPS market.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Seems like its popping like its always been. The only thing stopping the next one from doing crazy numbers is a saturated FPS market.
    Personally,I think the market is relatively saturated now, and also with some dangerous new players such as PUBG and Apex, although the late one combined something in MOBA.

Because the game hasn't changed at all since the 4th one, except for new weapons and maps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilTrigger1989 View Post
    It is said that Actvision seems to want new works of CoD series be multiplyer only, as many other latest FPS, what a terrible news.
    Yet the upcoming Call of Duty Modern Warfare is focusing on Single Player more than ever.

Its been mostly the same game year after year. Its still selling like crazy though

10+ Year Old Account
    Fatigue

/10 char

I've been an elementary teacher for 10 years now. Just anecdotally, the interest in COD with the 11-12 year age group has completely died down. Years ago, the yearly COD iterations would have all the the boys talking to me about it. More recently it has been Fortnite, but even prior to Fortnite it was GTA, Overwatch, or PUBG. This year, they are even talking about Apex Legends.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people on steam are toxic, so Activision moved new CoD releases on BN? What kind of argument it is?

CoD is the <insert ball game franchise> of shooters. I got bored of war shooter games back when Medal of Honor was still the hottest shit.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    Because the game hasn't changed at all since the 4th one, except for new weapons and maps.
    and the 3D models and gaming engine will only changed approx. every 3 yrs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    I've been an elementary teacher for 10 years now. Just anecdotally, the interest in COD with the 11-12 year age group has completely died down. Years ago, the yearly COD iterations would have all the the boys talking to me about it. More recently it has been Fortnite, but even prior to Fortnite it was GTA, Overwatch, or PUBG. This year, they are even talking about Apex Legends.
    Yep, less guys talking about CoD at present.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Yet the upcoming Call of Duty Modern Warfare is focusing on Single Player more than ever.
    Hmmmm, I really hope I heard the fake news haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    Fatigue

/10 char
    All right, actually the game is tired of playing~

This is what happens when you sell red dots
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©