Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New monitor, could use an advice ;)

Heya, I'm thinking about buying new monitor.
    I'd like it to have 32', 1440p, 144hz is not a must-have, I'd be content with 60hz.
    Same with IPS vs VA, doesn't matter to me.

So far two models got my interest and both of them are very close in price in my country:
    1. ViewSonic VX3276-2K-mhd
    2. BenQ PD3200Q

Does anyone have experience with those monitors?
    Are they worth it? Maybe you know a better model?
    I'll be thankful for any tips

Quote Originally Posted by zvr View Post
    Heya, I'm thinking about buying new monitor.
    I'd like it to have 32', 1440p, 144hz is not a must-have, I'd be content with 60hz.
    Same with IPS vs VA, doesn't matter to me.

So far two models got my interest and both of them are very close in price in my country:
    1. ViewSonic VX3276-2K-mhd
    2. BenQ PD3200Q

Does anyone have experience with those monitors?
    Are they worth it? Maybe you know a better model?
    I'll be thankful for any tips
    It depends on what are you going to play, 1080p, 2K or 4K.
    60hz is low when you try a 144hz you won't be able to go back to the 60's hz so it's a big improvement.
    Depends on your GPU also if u have Nvida GPU try getting a GSync monitor or search the webpage fo FreeSync - GSync compatible monitor since there are already some you can use it.

Ill leave you the link here.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce...announcements/

Also here is the full list just search for the Gsync compatible if you have a Nvida card and dont want to buy a Gsync monitor
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...onitors/specs/
    Last edited by HeiAggra; 2019-06-12 at 09:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both of those look like content-creator monitors.. They're running 10bit panels, with factory calibration. Seems a bit overkill unless you're going to actually use it, but that's just me. Also you'd only be able to take advantage of the 10bit colour in exclusive fullscreen with consumer GPUS (Ie. not Quadro, FirePro/Radeon pro)

I'd consider something like https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LyC...tor-32gk650f-b or https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Kmj...-lc32jg50qqnza instead

Quote Originally Posted by HeiAggra View Post
    It depends on what are you going to play, 1080p, 2K or 4K.
    60hz is low when you try a 144hz you won't be able to go back to the 60's hz so it's a big improvement.
    Depends on your GPU also if u have Nvida GPU try getting a GSync monitor or search the webpage fo FreeSync - GSync compatible monitor since there are already some you can use it.

Ill leave you the link here.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce...announcements/

Also here is the full list just search for the Gsync compatible if you have a Nvida card and dont want to buy a Gsync monitor
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...onitors/specs/
    I know 144hz is a big improvement and I had an opportunity to test it at my friends' place, but frankly I'm just used to 60hz with vsync on in all my games, also won't 144hz require more power from my PC?
    I'd rather play at capped 60fps on ultra than have FPS variations if my PC would struggle with newest games (like Cyberpunk) on same settings.

This is my rig, sorry for not posting it earlier, I'm at work
    Gigabyte RTX 2070 GAMING 8G GDDR6
    MSI Z390-A PRO
    G.SKILL 16GB 3000MHz Ripjaws V Red CL15
    Intel i7-8700 3.20GHz 12MB

I intend to play at 2K max, right now I have old FullHD monitor and my PC handles DSR to 2K without problems (but struggle with 4K in some games) so 1440p will be enough for my ultra 60fps gaming.

And about these 10bit colours - I have no idea what the differences could be but for sure it'd be far more better than my very old monitor
    But will such 'content creator' monitor in any way handicap my gaming experience?

15+ Year Old Account
    I play on a LG 43UD79-B monitor.
    42,5 inch and 4k, stable 60fps in Wow (60hz monitor).
    Must say that all mmos should be played @ this size and resolution.
    You see so much more details!

10+ Year Old Account
    And about these 10bit colours - I have no idea what the differences could be but for sure it'd be far more better than my very old monitor
    But will such 'content creator' monitor in any way handicap my gaming experience?
    10bit colour just means it can display more colours than an 8bit monitor can, giving you smoother and richer colours.

Content creation monitors usually don't have very good input latency compared to gaming ones. The BenQ PD3200Q you're looking at has 10ms input latency, and ~14ms grey to grey. Compared to the Samsung monitor I linked which has 1ms grey to grey and ~6ms input latency. Doesn't seem like much, but it can still be enough to make things feel just a little sluggish.

That's not to say you shouldn't consider the ones you're looking at, just that there are some downsides to it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    I play on a LG 43UD79-B monitor.
    42,5 inch and 4k, stable 60fps in Wow (60hz monitor).
    Must say that all mmos should be played @ this size and resolution.
    You see so much more details!
    I went from 4k to 1440p, and there wasn't really any noticeable decrease in details.. Besides, I think 42 inches is just too big for a monitor, it's hard to keep everything in mind at once, meaning you have to move your eyes more

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I went from 4k to 1440p, and there wasn't really any noticeable decrease in details.. Besides, I think 42 inches is just too big for a monitor, it's hard to keep everything in mind at once, meaning you have to move your eyes more
    Maybe on a smaller screen, i think on 42,5 u can notice 1440p. Still, at first it was huge but for a massive world game its amazing and have no problem with it.
    If you are a mythic raider you beter get a 144hz screen 1440p or even 1080p depending on your gpu.

I know 144hz is a big improvement and I had an opportunity to test it at my friends' place
    Thats not how it works.

What you see and can also measure is INPUT-LAG. There are some very fast 60Hz screens with low INPUT-LAG and there are some very fast 144Hz screens with low INPUT-LAG.

A 60Hz screen with Xms INPUT-LAG is the same for your eyes as a 144Hz screen with Xms INPUT-LAG. And yes, there are lot of 144Hz screens with worse INPUT-LAG as 60Hz ones. People are so confused with marketing bullshit like "response time" (pixel shift from one color to another), this has nothing to do with what you see in games, what marketing tells you with "144Hz, 2ms" is GRATS YOU WILL NOT SEE MOTION BLUR - great?!

You do INPUT-LAG comparisons with 60Hz because the refreshrate doesnt even matter, its fixed for every screen model and by turning up your refresh from 60Hz to 240Hz+ it changes nothing, your INPUT-LAG is determined by other components. Its not a secret, you have INPUT-LAG benchmarks since 30 years now.

It is crazy that I have to type this.
    Last edited by Ange; 2019-06-12 at 12:04 PM.
    -

I know 144hz is a big improvement and I had an opportunity to test it at my friends' place, but frankly I'm just used to 60hz with vsync on in all my games, also won't 144hz require more power from my PC?
    I'd rather play at capped 60fps on ultra than have FPS variations if my PC would struggle with newest games (like Cyberpunk) on same settings.

This is my rig, sorry for not posting it earlier, I'm at work
    Gigabyte RTX 2070 GAMING 8G GDDR6
    MSI Z390-A PRO
    G.SKILL 16GB 3000MHz Ripjaws V Red CL15
    Intel i7-8700 3.20GHz 12MB

I intend to play at 2K max, right now I have old FullHD monitor and my PC handles DSR to 2K without problems (but struggle with 4K in some games) so 1440p will be enough for my ultra 60fps gaming.

Your is quite similar to mine you have the same GPU so i advice u to get a good monitor you will see a huge improvement with the GPU.
    Same RAM but mine is 32GB
    And different CPU, mine is Ryzen 5 2600X

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Thats not how it works.

What you see and can also measure is INPUT-LAG. There are some very fast 60Hz screens with low INPUT-LAG and there are some very fast 144Hz screens with low INPUT-LAG.

A 60Hz screen with Xms INPUT-LAG is the same for your eyes as a 144Hz screen with Xms INPUT-LAG. And yes, there are lot of 144Hz screens with worse INPUT-LAG as 60Hz ones. People are so confused with marketing bullshit like "response time" (pixel shift from one color to another), this has nothing to do with what you see in games, what marketing tells you with "144Hz, 2ms" is GRATS YOU WILL NOT SEE MOTION BLUR - great?!

You do INPUT-LAG comparisons with 60Hz because the refreshrate doesnt even matter, its fixed for every screen model and by turning up your refresh from 60Hz to 240Hz+ it changes nothing, your INPUT-LAG is determined by other components. Its not a secret, you have INPUT-LAG benchmarks since 30 years now.

It is crazy that I have to type this.
    It's crazy that you think there isn't any difference between 60hz and 144hz. There is. 144hz feels more fluid and looks clearer in motion. If you want to spout bullshit about how it doesn't matter, go back to 2012 when that discussion was relevant

I must say that LG is really interesting, it has everything I need I think but it's a little costly
    Could you suggest a little cheaper model - similar to that Samsung price range and not curved?
    It doesn't have to be 144hz or 1ms.
    Unfortunatelly I never managed to get used to curved monitors, I just don't like them.
    I prefer flat screen : /

It's crazy that you think there isn't any difference between 60hz and 144hz. There is. 144hz feels more fluid and looks clearer in motion. If you want to spout bullshit about how it doesn't matter, go back to 2012 when that discussion was relevant
    You are either young or ignorant or both. There are CRT screen rankings for INPUT-LAG from 20 years ago, since its actually needed and its not only a gaming bullshit. How can you even post such nonsense without at least putting 10 seconds into google if you are really that clueless about this things?
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    I must say that LG is really interesting, it has everything I need I think but it's a little costly
    Could you suggest a little cheaper model - similar to that Samsung price range and not curved?
    It doesn't have to be 144hz or 1ms.
    Unfortunatelly I never managed to get used to curved monitors, I just don't like them.
    I prefer flat screen : /
    The cheapest 32" 1440p flat-panel display I can find: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7yh...-vx3276-2k-mhd 60hz and 8ms g2g, so not that fast, but it's cheap. Also IPS panel, which is nice.
    These are both VA panels:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PbX...monitor-pb328q
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xdV...monitor-s3219d
    The Asus one is 75hz, the Dell is 60, they're both 4-5ms g2g which is perfectly acceptable

Wanting a 32" kinda limits your options a bit, but they're all fine options in their price brackets

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    You are either young or ignorant or both. There are CRT screen rankings for INPUT-LAG from 20 years ago, since its actually needed and its not only a gaming bullshit. How can you even post such nonsense without at least putting 10 seconds into google if you are really that clueless about this things?
    I never said input lag didn't matter. I just said that you're crazy if you think there isn't a difference between 60hz and 144hz visually

Thank you very much

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for this bump, but I found 2 more monitors that caught my attention.

1. MSI Optix AG32CQ
    2. BenQ EX3203R

Both of them are available to me for a little less than normal price, they are curved (meh) but for discount I received I think it's worth it
    I'll be very grateful if someone who had experience with one of these monitors could tell me if they are good.
    And if they are quiet - I heard some monitors can 'whine' a little, like coil whine in GPUs, so that would be a valuable information for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I don't have experience with those specific models, I've had both BenQ and MSI monitors in the past and they both performed just fine, no complaints here.

As for coil whine, that comes down to the individual monitors, not the model. Some models might be more prone, but in general with mid-high end stuff you won't have any. I don't really keep up with monitors too much, but I haven't heard of anything regarding those two models

Aight thank you!
    BUT!
    I have one more question - I found this one just right now and it's price is even lower
    Are ACERs good?
    Never had monitor from this brand but it seems it's Gsync compatible so I think I'll be able to use this function on my RTX.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-XZ321Q.../dp/B077NL6GJS

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't have experience with ACER. Seems to get decent reviews though
    Edit: As far as I can see, it *appears* to be the same panel as the Samsung CJG5, which means it's probably a Samsung panel, which are all pretty decent
    Last edited by Temp name; 2019-06-13 at 06:02 PM.

I've decided to give that ACER a try.
    Thank you very much for all the help

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    If you are a mythic raider you beter get a 144hz screen 1440p or even 1080p depending on your gpu.
    You mean to tell me I should be better at mythic since I have a 144Hz screen? /s

wtf is this non sense.

Most of you responding here don't have a clue except @Ange and @Chimeq which linked a really good article. You all should use google. There is more to monitors than refresh rates. Go read!

Having a 144Hz monitor does not make you a better player or enable you to see more clearly in game and a lot of it depends on the individual.