PC wont shut down for some reason

Hey guys, I haven't been able to power off my pc for the last couple of days, not even holding the power button for a few seconds work, it just restart the pc. Shut down and sleep option of windows just restart the pc too. It is really weird, never had this happened to me before, usually its the other way around that a pc wont power on lol.
    I have tried a few methods I found online such as:
    -windows power options, choose what power does, turn off fast start up
    -in commands, turn off hibernate

this is my set up:
    Windows 10 pro
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI
    BIOS: F31 (type: UEFI)
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16332MB RAM
    Page File: 6919MB used, 11844MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 1070
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Type: Full Device (POST)
    Display Memory: 16254 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 8088 MB
    Shared Memory: 8166 MB
    Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz)

Let me know if you need more information. I'm starting to get a little worry since this happened out of nowhere, I thought it would fix itself in a few days but I guess I was wrong.

Definitely a strange issue, MMOC probably isn't the best for these topics.

Might want to try post on a forum thats actually focused on tech support, like tenforums or omshardware.

Reddit also has a few support subreddits you could try.

Good luck

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiingy View Post
    Definitely a strange issue, MMOC probably isn't the best for these topics.

Might want to try post on a forum thats actually focused on tech support, like tenforums or omshardware.

Reddit also has a few support subreddits you could try.

Good luck
    Most of what is done in this subform is tech help/advice. On topic I was going to say power button connection issuse but if not even a windows turn off works thats just plain odd never seen that happem.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Most of what is done in this subform is tech help/advice.
    Right, but this is an off-topic section on a gaming forum.
    The above are tech-support forums (with off-topic gaming sections).

Core audiences are obviously going to be very different and even if this subforum is great for support, the other forums will be objectively better.

No one had posted any solutions and so tried to point him somewhere else he'd be able to find help.
    /shrug

10+ Year Old Account

Core audiences are obviously going to be very different and even if this subforum is great for support, the other forums will be objectively better.

No one had posted any solutions and so tried to point him somewhere else he'd be able to find help.
    /shrug
    I also post on some subreddits and other tech-focused forums. And maybe the reason no one had posted anything was that it had only been 40 minutes?

As for the OP: Is there an update available for Windows? Sometimes Windows gets weird if there's an update waiting for it. If no, shut down all programs and anything else important running, then pull the power plug. Maybe it just needs a kick in the ass to behave

15+ Year Old Account
    I know this is going to sound weird to you, but do you have your reset button and power button reversed on the mb pins? For shits and giggles, test it, hold the reset down for 4 seconds.

I had a Corsair 350D case that came with the buttons wired backwards. That was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    I know this is going to sound weird to you, but do you have your reset button and power button reversed on the mb pins? For shits and giggles, test it, hold the reset down for 4 seconds.

I had a Corsair 350D case that came with the buttons wired backwards. That was fun.
    My case only has one power button, no reset button.
    This is my case Phanteks Eclipse P350X.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I also post on some subreddits and other tech-focused forums. And maybe the reason no one had posted anything was that it had only been 40 minutes?

As for the OP: Is there an update available for Windows? Sometimes Windows gets weird if there's an update waiting for it. If no, shut down all programs and anything else important running, then pull the power plug. Maybe it just needs a kick in the ass to behave
    Is it safe to just pull the power cord like that? I thought it would cause some damage to the hardware.
    Also, I remember this problem started when I wanted to shut down the pc that night, it asked for a windows update, so I selected update and shut down, and it never shut down from that night, but right now it is up to date.
    Last edited by JRakan; 2019-06-14 at 03:28 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've seen this issue on GigaByte motherboards before and it's usually related to the CMOS chip being corrupted.

Often times forcing the BIOS to be updated or the 2nd chip to copy the failsafe BIOS back and then updating solves this issue.

This is something I've only ever seen happen specifically on GigaByte boards.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    Try windows update if that does not work.
    Try a clean install if that does not work.
    Try clear your CMOS, if that does not work.
    Try flash your BIOS back to factory, if that does not work.
    Contact Gigabytes support, if that does not work.

Well i'm out of ideas then :P
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JRakan View Post
    Hey guys, I haven't been able to power off my pc for the last couple of days, not even holding the power button for a few seconds work, it just restart the pc. Shut down and sleep option of windows just restart the pc too. It is really weird, never had this happened to me before, usually its the other way around that a pc wont power on lol.
    I had similar issues with my older computer which also has a Gigabyte motherboard (with an i5 2500K). Shutting it down in windows would not really worked (windows would shutdown, but the pc stayed powered up), so I had to manually turn off the power switch at the back of the computer.

A can of compressed air and a good cleanup fixed the issue. There was actually quite a bit of dust!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikah View Post
    I had similar issues with my older computer which also has a Gigabyte motherboard (with an i5 2500K). Shutting it down in windows would not really worked (windows would shutdown, but the pc stayed powered up), so I had to manually turn off the power switch at the back of the computer.

A can of compressed air and a good cleanup fixed the issue. There was actually quite a bit of dust!
    Thanks, that did the trick. I turned it off with the switch at the back of the computer and now it is shutting down in windows normaly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, that did the trick. I turned it off with the switch at the back of the computer and now it is shutting down in windows normaly.
    Functionally the same as pulling the plug. Good thing it fixed the issue.

Try updating the BIOS just in case though like Evildeffy and Saph suggested. Worst case nothing happens, best case the problem won't come back

Will do, thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post

I was about to say this lmao

/shrug
    I wanted to quote you because I post regularly on this forum and usually come here for advice when needed. I wanted you to get this notification specifically showing you that the op's issue was resolved by techies on this forum. Yes, there are other forums for support, but the posters here are usually not slouches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    I wanted to quote you because I post regularly on this forum and usually come here for advice when needed. I wanted you to get this notification specifically showing you that the op's issue was resolved by techies on this forum. Yes, there are other forums for support, but the posters here are usually not slouches.
    Yeah most of us (I think?) post other places too, so it's not like we're just "kinda techy for a gamer forum" And while this is also true for this forum, certain forums attract certain kinds of people. Examples using "famous" Youtubers who has/had forums:
    LinusTechTips has a forum filled with techies.. Half of them are idiots who think they're smart because they watch his content, and the other half are made up primarily of people who realize they aren't that smart and then there's a couple who actually know what they're talking about.
    Then we have Gamers Nexus, who had a forum. Their audience skews more towards the deep end.. Even if there still are those who think they're smart just for watching it. But generally the majority are actually fairly intelligent. Problem with *them* comes from assuming you also are, so they can be quick to jump to slightly more "extreme" solutions to problems. In this case, flashing bios instead of suggesting to just pull the plug

- - - Updated - - -

Also just digging this up since I never replied to it
    Is it safe to just pull the power cord like that? I thought it would cause some damage to the hardware.
    With a decent, modern power supply, there's almost no chance of physical damage. You shouldn't turn it off every night like that, especially not with programs open since it might corrupt them, but doing it once or twice when it's not behaving is fine.