Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    One was stating that it was 1km test-track (i.e. not a construction of real hyperloop), and the other that construction should start in Q3 in 2019.

Or in summary: no real hyperloop tracks under construction - based on the links you gave.
    Similarly your newest link wasn't even about a hyperloop, but just a boring tunnel - and it wasn't even under construction.
    Lol wow. So you're going the definition attack now. Wow, that is fucking pathetic.

They don't by any reasonable imagination.
    That's why you protested when I claimed that it was a test-track and that construction hasn't started, since it isn't Q3 yet.

One article that actually supports your claim would be a start.
    Several linked. Projects under way, would that be better? I don't care about how you want to define what "under way" means - if I was to overinclusive in my under construction claim, fine, but there are still several companies and countries moving forward with hyperloop projects. And all of the articles I've linked demonstrate that. If you want more, just ask.
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-06-14 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    That is also under the (completely wrong) assumption that all metal parts heat up at the same rate. In reality the top will heat up first, which is why the whole thing would start to buckle up, unless you use rings as bearings, then you just have to deal with the incredible stress to the material.
    True, I didn't think about that - but that makes it much worse. And the vacuum will work as thermal isolation ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I dont like the idea of digging up our earth for a trillion tunnels anyway.
    He should stick to SpaceX... The team there knows quite what theyre doing. But the rest is really bad. Often he just sounds like a quak selling the philosophers stone.
    Everyone knows the philosopher's stone is not to be trifled with... equivalent exchange and all that.

I find it HILARIOUS that he has a Trump avatar. It's so fitting - this is how I'd expect Donald Trump to argue. :P

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidelstein View Post
    Something which you could have easily got yourself if you were that curious. Perhaps you should have thought of that first before dismissing him in such an arrogant and condescending way. Parent's basement, "scientist", etc ... he's definitely made an utter fool of you indirectly here.

- - - Updated - - -

Losing? Hahaha. You are arguing on three fronts, no, four.

1) I don't need another source if the first one is sufficient enough to put this argument to bed. It's not compulsory to give you another in that instance.

2) I am still yet to get anything showing ANY country building a vacuum chamber hundreds of miles long. "Moving forward" - a meaningless buzzword that doesn't answer the question.

Oh, you sure have linked alright, only it backfired on you when it said they haven't started construction yet, when YOU stated numerous times that they did. Yet another lie.
    So no links showing that the tech won't work? Let us know when you find some. It's all I've ever asked.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it HILARIOUS that he has a Trump avatar. It's so fitting - this is how I'd expect Donald Trump to argue. :P
    Fucking pathetic attempt at more personal attacks. READ the sign he's holding in my avatar. Talk about being an idiot. Do you put this much attention into your science debunking?
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-06-14 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Lol wow. So you're going the definition attack now. Wow, that is fucking pathetic.
    You mean defining a hyperloop under construction as an actual hyperloop transportation system, and not a short test-system, that is actually under construction meaning it is under construction (according to the linked article) - and not merely planned.

Do you have any arguments? And note that you claimed they were "under construction" - I merely showed that it wasn't.

- - - Updated - - -

OMFG - fucking hysterical. READ the sign he's holding in my avatar. Talk about being an idiot. Do you put this much attention into your science debunking?
    It's still fitting. Two of the most stable geniuses :-)
    And using insulting nicknames as part of conversation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Your own links contradict you, those others can use them against you. No need for extras.
    But he needs to read and understand the links.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2019-06-14 at 10:07 PM.

True, I didn't think about that - but that makes it much worse. And the vacuum will work as thermal isolation ...
    The vaccuum or the low air pressure, to which the goal has probably degraded by now, is a bitch for many different reasons. If they actually want to use MegLev then they will run very fast into thermal issues with the cooling for the MegLev tech. People would be surprised how reliant alot of (electrical) tech is on proper convection condictions and how quick they suffer if you move your shit up some mountain (thinner air). Similar issues will arise with other electrical propulsion systems once you actually start running a decent length/time. Not that you could use much else, since chemical is out of question as well for the most part. Even if you use just wheels (the dust via rubber abrasion looks like an issue in that case) like the hacked together Tesla Pusher they used for the first batch of tests, it would have probably ceased functioning if their tests weren't just a few seconds short.

Frankly I'm really currious how they intent to adress this issue at all. Not much you can do, short of carrying around a huge thermal mass with you.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-06-14 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    There are many companies in the world who waste a lot of money investing in stupid shit, like solar roadways.
    That is Solar FREAKING Roadways, thank you very much.

So no links showing that the tech won't work? Let us know when you find some. It's all I've ever asked.
    You were linked a thunderf00t video a long time ago. What is with you and ignoring evidence just because it doesn't go your way? Quite frankly I find it hilarious you're trying to downplay calculations and concepts of the laws of physics from an actual professional scientist who regularly debunks pseudo-science.

Fucking pathetic attempt at more personal attacks. READ the sign he's holding in my avatar. Talk about being an idiot. Do you put this much attention into your science debunking?

Thank you for conveying my point further!

Look below

I think it’s funny that you guys don’t have better things to do with your life but to argue about a tunnel.

Look Above

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    You mean defining a hyperloop under construction as an actual hyperloop transportation system, and not a short test-system, that is actually under construction meaning it is under construction (according to the linked article) - and merely planned.

Do you have any arguments? And note that you claimed they were "under construction" - I merely showed that it wasn't.
    I might have been overly inclusive regarding under construction. I did initially say moving forward with projects, but I see your point. Definitely no actually tunnels under construction, but more than a dozen locations world wide are moving forward with the project. Does that clarification help?

Las Vegas awards project for hyperloop - construction not started.
    Mumbai to finish Phase One end of 2019 - actual construction completion 2026.

More available, but yeah, they are still a lot of talk and plans and some test grounds under construction and a LOT of money being awarded. But still not built - and all info seems to indicate that hyperloops are maybe (at least) a decade away from completion.

I'll amend my initial statement then.

Still no articles backing up your claims? Genius indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

You were linked a thunderf00t video a long time ago. What is with you and ignoring evidence just because it doesn't go your way? Quite frankly I find it hilarious you're trying to downplay calculations and concepts of the laws of physics from an actual professional scientist who regularly debunks pseudo-science.

Thank you for conveying my point further!
    Exactly. Your lack of attention to detail continues.

Still waiting for links to your claims.
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-06-14 at 10:22 PM.

Thunderf00t is an idiot with a hate-boner for Musk. Watch his FH and AMOS-6 (?!) pad explosion videos.

@Skroe

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaaz View Post
    That is Solar FREAKING Roadways, thank you very much.
    Those were hysterical. I mean, why? Even if we all get together later and hug this out, we can at least discuss the problems with hyperloop science and thermal dynamics. But who the fuck thinks making a road out of solar panels is in any way a good idea. And how many places/governments signed up for this initially?

(I realize this goes against my other posts, governments signing on for stupid fucking projects)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Thunderf00t is an idiot with a hate-boner for Musk. Watch his FH and AMOS-6 (?!) pad explosion videos.

@Skroe
    Did Thunderbutt seriously make Musk-hate videos of SpaceX pad explosions? Is his irrationality that ridiculous?

If so, it makes me further question his math. I'm not questioning thermal dynamics, just his explanation of the problems he assumes will incur.

Still no articles backing up your claims?
    True, I have nothing to back up my claim that you and Trump are "Two of the most stable geniuses".

You got me there...

What other claim did you want me to back up? That the test-track in France is a test-track? That the UAE project starting construction in Q3 isn't under construction yet since June is part of Q2? That the planned Loop project in the Washington area isn't a hyperloop under vacuum (the ventilation shafts sort of give it away).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Itheni View Post
    Look below

I think it’s funny that you guys don’t have better things to do with your life but to argue about a tunnel.

Look Above
    It's isn't about a tunnel, but a reflection on hype and post-factual world.

Tunnels are cool though.

Exactly. Your lack of attention to detail continues.

Still waiting for links to your claims.
    This is funny, coming from a guy who won't even watch a debunk video with someone who actually does science for a living. You're too funny.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    True, I have nothing to back up my claim that you and Trump are "Two of the most stable geniuses".
    You have to admit it's at least a little funny that that guy claimed I was a Trump supporter, just another of his personal attacks, without even bothering to read the avatar....

What other claim did you want me to back up? That the test-track in France is a test-track? That the UAE project starting construction in Q3 isn't under construction yet since June is part of Q2? That the planned Loop project in the Washington area isn't a hyperloop under vacuum (the ventilation shafts sort of give it away).
    The science part. Find me someone else that agrees with the youtube video. That states hyperloop tech won't work. It's all I've been asking for this entire time.

- - - Updated - - -

This is funny, coming from a guy who won't even watch a debunk video with someone who actually does science for a living. You're too funny.
    Wow - that was just beyond pathetic. Is everyone else seeing this? Guy makes a flat out mistake - 100% wrong, and can't even admit it. What's funny is watching intellectual honesty die.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The vaccuum or the low air pressure, to which the goal has probably degraded by now, is a bitch for many different reasons. If they actually want to use MegLev then they will run very fast into thermal issues with the cooling for the MegLev tech. People would be surprised how reliant alot of (electrical) tech is on proper convection condictions and how quick they suffer if you move your shit up some mountain (thinner air). Similar issues will arise with other electrical propulsion systems once you actually start running a decent length/time. Not that you could use much else, since chemical is out of question as well for the most part. Even if you use just wheels (the dust via rubber abrasion looks like an issue in that case) like the hacked together Tesla Pusher they used for the first batch of tests, it would have probably ceased functioning if their tests weren't just a few seconds short.

Frankly I'm really currious how they intent to adress this issue at all. Not much you can do, short of carrying around a huge thermal mass with you.
    For once, I do not think that heat generation is actually going to be a problem for Hyperloop, assuming it is going to be a maglev system. Sure, magnets would generate heat as the capsule moves. But most of it is going to be radiated by the steel tube into the environment, because the actual current is running through the base platform, and not through a levitating train car. And obviously, the platform is physically connected to the tube itself, thus creating a very large radiator. And the capsule itself is going to generate something like 12W of heat energy per meter of the capsule (or magnet levitating the capsule to be exact) due to electromagnetic vibration, if I remember correctly figures from existing maglev trains. That is nowhere near critical levels and would hardly be noticeable. It is likely going to be even less than that due to size differences.
    No, lets stick to actual and practical difficulties of the system. There are more than enough of those. And many make this project practically impossible.

Wow - that was just beyond pathetic. Is everyone else seeing this? Guy makes a flat out mistake - 100% wrong, and can't even admit it. What's funny is watching intellectual honesty die.
    You've done absolutely nothing to refute thunderf00t's points, figures, etc. All you've been saying is "give me another source besides Thunderbutt". You can't just ignore evidence just because it's inconvenient. I'm starting to think you know little to nothing about physics at all. You've been refuted, multiple times, by a few people already about the science behind it... but you don't want to go there at all because it doesn't paint your deity Elon in a favorable light.

Now it's come to the point where you're demanding people find other people who agree with the YouTube video. I mean, what the hell? How's that an argument? If you weren't such a lazy bum, you'd simply go read the comments there. Or the people here who've actually referred to or linked to said video.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    You've done absolutely nothing to refute thunderf00t's points, figures, etc. All you've been saying is "give me another source besides Thunderbutt". You can't just ignore evidence just because it's inconvenient. I'm starting to think you know little to nothing about physics at all. You've been refuted, multiple times, by a few people already about the science behind it... but you don't want to go there at all because it doesn't paint your deity Elon in a favorable light.
    Yep, that's all I've done. Ask for a second source on a claim. Pretty basic stuff, and yet no one seems to be able to do it. Why is that?

(you also realize that Thunderbutt is a known Musk hater, right? you saw that in this thread, right?)

Now it's come to the point where you're demanding people find other people who agree with the YouTube video. I mean, what the hell? How's that an argument? If you weren't such a lazy bum, you'd simply go read the comments there. Or the people here who've actually referred to or linked to said video.
    Yeah, um, no. But I do love the personal attacks. Calling me "lazy" while I continue to provide new links while you continue to not do anything. Lovely.

You realize your entire answer, almost every time, is "the original video is right, why do you want more". You claim to understand science. Do scientists just take one source and run with it? Or do they go for multiple sources to back a claim.

All I'm making is a scientific request. Give me another article/journal that states hyperloop tech doesn't work.

This quote pretty much sums up why people shouldn't take cubby Trump seriously:
    Of course he's using some math, but you don't know if the math he's using is correct, and neither do I.
    A high school student would be able to tell if it's correct or not. Anyone with a functioning brain, having watched the video, will say that it's correct. This is not doctorate-level math here.

Funny how people will go so far, and say the most stupid shit just to deny reality because they're essentially fanboing.