They're not remaking the story as it was. Sephiroth was not supposed to make an appearance in Midgar. This concerns me, as it may change the impact of certain scenarios. I really hope they're just throwing in minor fillers to fluff things and not changing the way the story is told.

Not excited for this.

When it was announced, I wanted a purely graphical/sound update. Combat/story/etc. all unchanged.

Oh well. This isn't even in my top 3 favorite FF games anyway.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    They're not remaking the story as it was. Sephiroth was not supposed to make an appearance in Midgar. This concerns me, as it may change the impact of certain scenarios. I really hope they're just throwing in minor fillers to fluff things and not changing the way the story is told.
    He's not really there, though. It's just Cloud being Cloud. And though Sephiroth wasn't there in person, Cloud DID have flashbacks in Midgar in the original. I have no problem with them playing on that and adding some extra ones. The game is apparently long enough for that.

I don't personally have that much of a problem with the episodic thing per se. It's just a question of how they implement it - particularly in terms of how much each part matters for the next. There certainly doesn't seem to be a problem with length so far - if the first part is really just Midgar and still covers 2 Blurays, that's plenty of content, I would expect. We can speculate on how they split the rest, and what the release schedule will look like; but who knows at this point. Are they just going to release FF7R games for the next half decade? Seems odd.

https://twinfinite.net/2019/06/final...character-art/
    Found tifa, in case anyone was wondering.

A few of the others as well, just scroll down.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    The worst part about it is if they don't release it on PC, you may have to buy multiple consoles to complete the series. The next part may very well be a PS5 exclusive.
    Or just wait and buy a PS5? They're going to be completely backwards compatible with PS4 games.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The more im seeing the more I think this midgar game is just gonna be Cloud, Barret, Tifa, Aeris. And of course avalanche/shinra side characters

If I was a squeenix chairman I would roll out with the battle plan

"Look lads FF15 sold well but it was shit and western markets are starting to get bored with the gimmick"

"Lets ditch outsourcing FF7 to some random nobody and goes balls to the walls on it"

"Ok but thats gonna be expensive if we want to do it right"

"Right, lets spend a butt load on making the character models look mint, lets make midgar rocking, lets get people excited by bringing back the old crew and people who can actually make interesting combat"

"And once we get em hooked we can shell out the model assets we already created and milk 3-4 more games out of it with little investment"

*Every board member nods in agreement*

"there ain't no gettin' offa this train we're on!"
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2019-06-15 at 08:25 AM.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    "And once we get em hooked we can shell out the model assets we already created and milk 3-4 more games out of it with little investment"
    I highly doubt they will just keep reusing assets. Yeah, the main character models might get reused, but the world outside Midgar is going to require a ton of new assets. I don't think they are going to be lazy with these games.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    That's usually refereed to as a remaster, and it already sort of exists.

I mean, these games were already ported to run on the latest OS's, if people just want to play pretty much as it was, why not just play those?
    Still has blocky ugly character models.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Not excited for this.

When it was announced, I wanted a purely graphical/sound update. Combat/story/etc. all unchanged.

Oh well. This isn't even in my top 3 favorite FF games anyway.
    Sums it up for me as well, the second i saw the changed combat i lost all interest. It's not my favourite FF either but it is one of the ones i would love to play again with a more eye candy graphics. I still check in on news now and again in the hopes that they unveil some news about a turn based only mode or something but the more i see the more i lose all interest.

FF8 on the other hand has an announced remaster which i was pleasantly surprised to hear about today

would much rather this than what we are getting for 7.

It's really sad for me how Final Fantasy has panned out, i remember back when FFX was released and being a young teen i was amazed and excited for what future FF games would be like as graphics got better and better and now we were actually having voiced dialogs, little did i know the franchise i loved and grew up with would die after that game.

So strange how as i get older all i care about are remasters of games i grew up with, so very few modern games do i actually seem to enjoy and can spend more than a few hours on before i am completely bored, yet i can still slap on an old FF and spend over 90 hours enjoying them easily despite it being my 7th or 8th time per title.

Gonna have some good fun end of this year between FF8 remaster and hopefully WC:3R
    Last edited by Yes but actually no; 2019-06-15 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yes but actually no View Post
    It's really sad for me how Final Fantasy has panned out, i remember back when FFX was released and being a young teen i was amazed and excited for what future FF games would be like as graphics got better and better and now we were actually having voiced dialogs, little did i know the franchise i loved and grew up with would die after that game.
    You know why? because companies started putting graphics over gameplay, so now in 2019 you can buy tons of beautifully looking but hollow and empty games.

I mean just look at the systems in FF games, they get worse and worse as time goes on, FF13 with it's crystalarium, and 15 had some awful and ultra grindy AP system i bet 99% of people never got 1 999AP node, no matter how those games look the core system cannot compare to junctioning or materia, also both of those systems allowed for virtually no customisation or choice. Funny how as we get better graphics we get less ways to build characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    You know why? because companies started putting graphics over gameplay, so now in 2019 you can buy tons of beautifully looking but hollow and empty games.

I mean just look at the systems in FF games, they get worse and worse as time goes on, FF13 with it's crystalarium, and 15 had some awful and ultra grindy AP system i bet 99% of people never got 1 999AP node, no matter how those games look the core system cannot compare to junctioning or materia, also both of those systems allowed for virtually no customisation or choice. Funny how as we get better graphics we get less ways to build characters.
    Truthfully in the case of Final Fantasy i don't believe it has anything to do with the philosophy of graphics over gameplay i personally believe it was for a different reason.
    It was simply the Square Enix merge in 03.

I didn't even finish 12, i remember fighting some judge or something as a boss fight and i just turned it off bored and never looked at it again, then i saw videos of ff13 which looked absolutely garbage, had no interest in that boyband ff15 thing either.

Last FF game that felt like an actual FF game and i enjoyed - FFX -2001
    Square + Enix merger - started in 02 finalised in april 03, during the time of this merger that shitshow ffx-2 was in production
    First and only FF game that i couldn't even finish because i was so bored - FFXII - 2006

It's no coincidence imo.
    Last edited by Yes but actually no; 2019-06-15 at 10:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really sad for me how Final Fantasy has panned out
    Tbh, I think this is the closest we're ever going to get to a classic turn based FF game. The combat is semi turn based with the ATB system, but it's got enough action/twitch based stuff to appeal to the younger generations, who games companies believe don't want true turn based games anymore.

Either that, or the games they put out from their sister company "Tokyo RPG Factory" but honestly, I've played a few of them and... Myeh.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    ...... and?
    And? When they showed a trailer of super detail graphics, that’s all I wanted to be updated. I’ve said that already.

How can I help you understand that better?

would much rather this than what we are getting for 7.
    The remaster is coming for FF8, but it's not a remake like for FF7,.
    So it's not going to look better/different by much.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx22 View Post
    I highly doubt they will just keep reusing assets. Yeah, the main character models might get reused, but the world outside Midgar is going to require a ton of new assets. I don't think they are going to be lazy with these games.
    You return to midgar in the game when its under threat by Diamond Weapon and end up fighting Hojo, its a pretty important event in the game.

A city ripped for the plunking to be attacked by a weapon where you can revisit the shrina characters....come on dude.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx22 View Post
    The world outside of Midgar isn't that unique, in fact for most of it they could probably directly lift assets from XV. Literally a handful of areas and dungeons that will require heavy lifting.

Also re using assets isn't "lazy" it's called being smart and optimal with your development work. Persona 3 and 4 had a shit load of asset re-use, and I can bet you Persona 5 and an eventual 6 will as well. When you don't need to create new assets you don't just do it for the fuck of it. Nintendo has been using the same damn Mario model with slight enhancements added to him over time since SMG1 FFS lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    ripped for the plunking.
    Not sure why, but that made me laugh for about ten minutes.

Anyway. I’m not sure why people get so bent out of shape about reuse of assets. Do you really expect every single location, model and animation to be uniquely handcrafted in game? That would EXPONENTIALLY increase development time, and costs.

As long as we don’t get a repeat of the Dragon Age 2 “One True Cave” situation, I’m totally fine with a little... creative scavenging, to lighten their load, and ensure we don’t need to wait 5 fucking years between parts.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

So far it seems like the combat will be similar to ffxv in a ff7 setting. Hopefully they learned a few things from ff15

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The world outside of Midgar isn't that unique, in fact for most of it they could probably directly lift assets from XV. Literally a handful of areas and dungeons that will require heavy lifting.

Also re using assets isn't "lazy" it's called being smart and optimal with your development work. Persona 3 and 4 had a shit load of asset re-use, and I can bet you Persona 5 and an eventual 6 will as well. When you don't need to create new assets you don't just do it for the fuck of it. Nintendo has been using the same damn Mario model with slight enhancements added to him over time since SMG1 FFS lol.
    I should have clarified. I am fine with asset reuse (considering I was an avid WoW player lol). I just don't think it serves as an excuse to milk the game's next installments, and I strongly suspect it will contain many new assets too.

- - - Updated - - -

You return to midgar in the game when its under threat by Diamond Weapon and end up fighting Hojo, its a pretty important event in the game.

A city ripped for the plunking to be attacked by a weapon where you can revisit the shrina characters....come on dude.
    I don't think that means they are just going to completely reuse everything and "milk" the new games, though. I'm pretty sure Nomura/Square know these games are special and have already put quite a bit of work into the first installment. Will some assets get used again in the next installments? Of course. That doesn't mean it's going to be horrible. Every wow expansion uses older assets, and some of them turned out amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    The worst part about it is if they don't release it on PC, you may have to buy multiple consoles to complete the series. The next part may very well be a PS5 exclusive.
    you really believe that?