I have different rp characters. I don't do endgame stuff on all of them but I usually level at least one job to cap for glams or zone access.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Such a load of utter drivel.

Had you known the slightest thing about FF14, you would know the core bulk of the game isn't about optimal rotation or such, but in mechanics. You learn them, dps is secondary believe it or not. All dungeons and raids have a timer for completion. That is the content limit. Not how fast the boss dies.

Also every raid has a hard gear limit for using the Duty Finder (and you need to use Duty Finder to complete the MSQ/Quests, not unsyncing/cheesing allowed). The reason SE is very anti dps meters etc, is literally because of the nonsense you just spouted about "People need to play!". They don't. Yoshi P said a few times now, that FF14 is a multi-player FF game, and not to be viewed as some kind of competitive MMO style "Imma best!" epeen stroking game.

Piss off back to WoW, please.
    If you cause a dungeon run to take anywhere even close to the maximum time limit, you deserve to be kicked and blacklisted, because that level of incompetence or bad play should be punished. Not because you're "bad" but because you absolutely unnecessarily wasted so much time for 3+ other people. That's pretty indefensible, IMO, as it's completely disrespectful. There's a difference between being new to an encounter and making a few mistakes while learning and failng the same mechanic repeatedly with no improvement or asking for help and being completely unrepentant about it. That last part is important. People make mistakes, that's OK, it's when you unabashedly screw up and don't care, don't try to get better, and are almost proud of it and then whine, cry or moan or whatever about getting called out for your negative impact on the group.

Multi-player game means there are other people depending on you too, which means you need to be able to perform at some minimum level in order to complete the content and not be too big of a detriment to your group.

What you say is true, DPS is secondary to mechanics....but that's the case in every game ever since a dead DPS does no DPS. Perform doesn't just mean numbers it means being able to do the whole dance: mechanics AND output.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    FFXIV has such great content but all the cutscenes man, ruined everything.
    It's a story focused game, so story is front and center, which includes cutscenes and lots of dialogue. I understand that it's not for everyone, and totally appreciate how boring it can be when you're not at all interested in it. It's always just weird to me to hear people say this like they didn't know what they were getting into when playing a Final Fantasy game, like it's a surprise that there's story here.

I also have always had a hard time wrapping my head around why people would play this game for any period of time if they don't care for the story at all to the point where they make comments like the story/ cutscenes ruin the game. I don't have to wrap my head around it, I know, that's just the way people are, but it just always sounds like someone who went for a walk in the rain, on purpose, and then get back inside and complain about getting wet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    Has there been any info if there'll be a new deep dungeon this expansion? Doing the msq usually won't bring you to max level by themselves, so I tend to mix in some deep dungeons on the side
    No mention of a deep dungeon yet, not in any specific sense, or when it might get released. Side quests along the way help get you to max level. If it's anything like previous parts of the game, you'll have portions where you HAVE to do side quests because the MSQ will have a level requirement you don't meet. Always do your roulettes, pick up side quests as you go. I personally don't worry about side quests for alts, because their xp rewards are pretty pitiful for simple leveling purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    Probably wants to play multiple races but don't want to pay for Fantasia each time. My guess, and a valid reason imo.
    Valid IMO as well, was just curious. I wouldn't do it for that reason, but everyone has their own reason and it's their time and money so who am I to judge how they spend it?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    FFXIV has such great content but all the cutscenes man, ruined everything.
    It's almost like FF14 is a RPG with a focus on the story or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Uselessrouge View Post
    never played ff if i start now and buy evrything ( what should i buy?^^ )

is there something like a level boost to start the addon or do i have to play from 1 to what ever max level is? and make all addons?
    There will be a "Complete Edition" sold that includes the Shadowbringers expansion, though it won't be until July 2nd at least.

Around June 28th they said they'll introduce level skip potions that will let you instantly level up to 70. Currently the potions are only up to 60. The story and levels are separate so if you want to jump into the current content ASAP you'll need to buy both a level boost potion for the specific job you want AND a story skip potion. Total cost right now for those two things is ~$25.

You can check the specifics out on the Mogstation.

If you've never played it before and like story, I'd recommend getting the complete edition and buying a level skip potion for whatever job you want/ are interested in and story skip potion that skips the A Realm Reborn (ARR) content and puts you straight into Heavensward (HW). HW content is much better than ARR, and you won't really miss much by skipping ARR, you'll also skip one of the worst story quest progressions in the game. Stormblood (SB) is good too, but the story just doesn't feel as Epic as the one in HW, not until post level 70 quests anyway.

Hope you enjoy your time in game =)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Riversong View Post
    Thanks I got it sorted and followed up with a further post on page 2279
    Ah I might've missed that post.

deviantART
    Simple Armory EU
    Simple Armory US
    Lodestone

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    There will be a "Complete Edition" sold that includes the Shadowbringers expansion, though it won't be until July 2nd at least.

Around June 28th they said they'll introduce level skip potions that will let you instantly level up to 70. Currently the potions are only up to 60. The story and levels are separate so if you want to jump into the current content ASAP you'll need to buy both a level boost potion for the specific job you want AND a story skip potion. Total cost right now for those two things is ~$25.

You can check the specifics out on the Mogstation.

If you've never played it before and like story, I'd recommend getting the complete edition and buying a level skip potion for whatever job you want/ are interested in and story skip potion that skips the A Realm Reborn (ARR) content and puts you straight into Heavensward (HW). HW content is much better than ARR, and you won't really miss much by skipping ARR, you'll also skip one of the worst story quest progressions in the game. Stormblood (SB) is good too, but the story just doesn't feel as Epic as the one in HW, not until post level 70 quests anyway.

Hope you enjoy your time in game =)

guess ill just wait until the 28th if i get a full box with level skip not really in a hurry

guess ill just wait until the 28th if i get a full box with level skip not really in a hurry
    Just to clarify, the level boost and story skip potions are not included in any box/ purchase of the game. I just advocated waiting until ~28th to buy the complete edition that includes Shadowbringers. If you buy the Complete edition now, it will only include Stormblood and you'll have to buy Shadowbringers separately.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/shado...s/product#cpse

You can order it now apparently, I'm not sure how that works....
    Last edited by Katchii; 2019-06-14 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    To add, it is worth checking mogboard.com for the best price on your datacenter. can shave off a few hundred grand no problem by hopping between realms and using their MB.

Otherwise your best bet for gear is to hammer the raids. Ridorana Lighthouse drops 360 gear, as do the omega raids. Getting a weapon will be shitty, though. You'll need to do O8, 4 times for a 360 weapon, or O12 4 times for the 390 weapon. you can get a 340 weapon from B-rank hunts to get your foot into ridorana/O8.
    I got a 365 weapon for my rdm from leveling in heaven on high.

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    I got a 365 weapon for my rdm from leveling in heaven on high.
    That's a lot of time to spend farming though, when an ilevel 380 weapon costs maybe ~250k?

I wouldn't advocate farming HoH for an ilevel 365 weapon unless you're going to be doing it anyway and want to spend the aether levels on it, because it takes a LONG time to get enough aether levels to buy a weapon.

The amount of time you spend in HoH could easily be used to farm other content for gil that could be used to get you a better weapon AND better gear.

As I said though, if you're going to be in HoH anyway, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    It's almost like FF14 is a RPG with a focus on the story or something.
    ehh, I'd prefer being able to read it instead of the cutscenes

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    ehh, I'd prefer being able to read it instead of the cutscenes
    Except it's not a book, so I really have no idea what you're expecting if you're upset that a japanese rpg has more than just paragraphs of text on a blank screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isilarya View Post
    https://www.twitch.tv/finalfantasyxiv

Live Letter about to start.
    Lots of good stuff here. The trust system looks pretty dang cool. Lots of nice QoL changes (Shocking, I know), and Yoshi-P trolling everybody with all the lore questions. Super psyched to see Eden too, that little clip looked exactly like the GF from FF8, so it'll be fun to see what else from that game makes it into the new raid.

Also really liked how they said that basically every dungeon, and most of the post-80 dungeons, were all tied to the MSQ. I like almost all the FF14 dungeons but it did bug me a bit that some (A lot more than some in ARR) were just one off arbitrary stories. Stories that were cool in their little context, but still unrelated to anything else. I'd much rather they all feel natural and be connected to the main story, so that got me a little more excited when I heard it.

2 more weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    That's a lot of time to spend farming though, when an ilevel 380 weapon costs maybe ~250k?

I wouldn't advocate farming HoH for an ilevel 365 weapon unless you're going to be doing it anyway and want to spend the aether levels on it, because it takes a LONG time to get enough aether levels to buy a weapon.

The amount of time you spend in HoH could easily be used to farm other content for gil that could be used to get you a better weapon AND better gear.

As I said though, if you're going to be in HoH anyway, why not?
    It’s not farming if you just casually level up your alts through HoH

if i buy a level boost is there something like a tutorial?

i want to play a Dark Knight and dont want to do 3 months of story quest befor the addon.. i heard i can get a level boost and a story skip thing , would it be worth it or will i be lost as new player?

Probably gonna transfer to Twintania for a quick 10 gold feathers. Won't be able to buy Twintania mount but there are other mounts.

Except that is not what they wish to foster within the community as an expectation amongst the playerbase. The previous poster was trying to justify his reasoning for DPS meters and such with shitty logic. Optimisation is one thing, wanting to kick players because they aren't performing at his standard of dick stroking is entirely another.

- - - Updated - - -

Except everything you have said here is completely against what SE and Yoshi P want for their game. Kicking someone for not being "Good enough" to beat the dungeon timer fast enough to your thinking, is not a group mentality they wish to foster, so am sorry to say, you are in there wrong here, regardless of how *right* you may wish to be.

Don't want people maybe taking the limit nor wish to run the risk? Don't use things like the Duty Finder then I am afraid, everything you have just listed in that regard is pious rambling.
    That's all well and good, but the Trust system NPCs can clear a dungeon in about 30-45 minutes.... if you're doing worse then freaking NPCs you should reevaluate doing group content at all and just run with the trust. Hopefully a lot of the REAL bad ones do that. I'm talking verauro/verlightning hardcasting RDM, healers who only spam benefic or whatever their base heal is, all dungeon long, etc. The REAL bad ones.

5+ Year Old Account
    if i buy a level boost is there something like a tutorial?

i want to play a Dark Knight and dont want to do 3 months of story quest befor the addon.. i heard i can get a level boost and a story skip thing , would it be worth it or will i be lost as new player?
    If you are a new player you shouldn't immediately look for ways to skip parts of the game. Everyting in it will be new anyway. Experience it. You will like it. Once you are at Ishgard you can quickly level your DK to 50 and just go with that for all the Heavensward, Stormblood and Shadowbringers contents.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    If you are a new player you shouldn't immediately look for ways to skip parts of the game. Everyting in it will be new anyway. Experience it. You will like it. Once you are at Ishgard you can quickly level your DK to 50 and just go with that for all the Heavensward, Stormblood and Shadowbringers contents.
    ehhhh, skipping the post 50 quests and watching a recap is 100% ok in my book.

- - - Updated - - -

And this is nothing to do with Trust system?
    Some people are just bad, yes, but as SE thinks, they pay their sub, the dungeon has a literal hard time limit, and that is that. Don't have time for the 90mins the dungeon is set for? Don't queue.
    Do I like it? Nope. But arguing otherwise is just asinine. It isn't changing anytime soon.

(For the record, I hate crappy players, have died as a tank so many times to healers who spam one ability, dps who seem intellectually impaired/lazy, but that is what the hard time limit is there for).
    I only brought up the Trust system because they are NPCs specifically coded to take longer then your avg group so they don't become the norm.

BTW, people have been kicking real shitty players since day one without getting banned, it's not hard to see a frost mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Such a load of utter drivel.

Had you known the slightest thing about FF14, you would know the core bulk of the game isn't about optimal rotation or such, but in mechanics. You learn them, dps is secondary believe it or not. All dungeons and raids have a timer for completion. That is the content limit. Not how fast the boss dies.
    Had you done any content that is actually challenging (read: ex primals, savage raids, ultimate) you would know that there is a thing called "enrage timer" at which point the boss instantly kills the raid.

So umm.. yeah: DPS does indeed matter. Quite a lot, oftentimes enrage timers feel harsher in FF compared to WoW (I raided in both).

- - - Updated - - -

The previous poster was trying to justify his reasoning for DPS meters and such with shitty logic.
    I merely stated that people that play bad and wipe the groups due to them playing bad are just as "toxic" as people who MISuse parsers to diss other people.
    A parser is a tool. You don't ban all hammers just b/c some drunk moron clubbed another person with one.