View Poll Results: Will you resub for Classic?

Voters
436. This poll is closed
  • Yes.

216 49.54%
  • No.

91 20.87%
  • Undecided.

31 7.11%
  • Already subbed.

98 22.48%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahlah View Post
    Meh, I used to piss (literally) more money away in college buying drinks from Thursday-Saturday night every week. $15 for a few hours of entertainment is something I can live with and WoW is just one of many games I play and enjoy since I also play other pc and console games. It's like the cost of one movie a month, so if I get a minimum of 2-3 hours a month of entertainment, $15 is nothing. I pay $60 for console games and they don't necessarily have a lot of replay value either depending on the game. I subbed continuously until the end of MoP and since then I'm on and off and play whenever I feel like, but I don't get why others have to always bring up the $15 argument as if it's a shit ton of money, it's nothing and having played Classic beta, I have enjoyed the community aspect of playing which is what an mmorpg is about anyway so nah, it's not a con to me if I find enjoyment in it.
    its not about weather you can afford it, its about value for that money that makes it a con, you might be rich as all hell but an over priced product is still over priced and thats not right, and no one should be commended for feeding a company that does that.

so like i said its not about it being a shit ton of money, its about it being a rip off like if i started selling pepsi cans for £2 when a coke can i £1 in the shop. it aint a gear amount but its still a rip off and people shouldn't be proud of falling for it.

Nah, been there done that. Was fun back in the day, but none of that appeals to me now that I work 40+ a week. More power to those who are excited though.

Unsubbed after we cleared Uldir mythic, the game is just garbage imo. I bought a year's worth of sub when they gave the classic release date, have no plans to play BFA at all but I will try the next xpac.

I will.

Tried the game out in Oct. 2007, then subbed uninterrupted from Oct. 2008 to Sept. 2016 (ten days into Legion).

Thought it was WoW itself I was done with. Over the next year, thanks to internet news, I found myself more intrigued by Vanilla. Looking back to my last months in retail, even though I was a raid and guild leader I kept spending time in the world enjoying spontaneous things with other players -- mostly world PvP in Gurubashi, Nagrand and Hellfire. Realized that the open spaces and slack time were what made older expansions fun, especially when everyone else was in the same situation.

Full-price subscription took some thinking but it should be worth it. I just want to be in the world and play at my own pace where it's not the wrong way to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewwe View Post
    Is there a reason you quit around that time? People keep saying they quit then and I would have expected the opposite.

As far as I heard the two were combined. Kinda feel like you're being facetious, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Other than the obvious, I don't know. I've tried spotting the differences other than the talents and community, but I'm not seeing much else. All I know is that a fair number of people prefer it to the main game. Those are two reasons I haven't heard, but what else is there to do if there's less content?
    Christmas is when guilds collapse, people take breaks to visit family, kids are off school so need caring for e.t.c that means raiding stops which means others often leave to find guilds still raiding.

the guild i was in collapsed and tbh i didn't much care about the guild, id only been in it about 9 months or so but i took a few weeks playing bit and bats on steam and had the epiphany strangely when i was playing monster hunter:world that wow is outdated, shit and a waste of time and i hadn't been having fun for many many years, and id also missed out on a lot of absolute gaming gems by devoting all my time to wow, for a while i contemplated classic, but after a lot of thought i came to the conclusion that vanilla was pretty shit in reality and it isn't worth the money time or effort, on top of which when you break it down classic and vanilla they arnt actually all that different, the principle are the same, and that i had honestly grown out of the tab target formula for combat and the way the game plays at its root.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahlah View Post
    Meh, I used to piss (literally) more money away in college buying drinks from Thursday-Saturday night every week. $15 for a few hours of entertainment is something I can live with and WoW is just one of many games I play and enjoy since I also play other pc and console games. It's like the cost of one movie a month, so if I get a minimum of 2-3 hours a month of entertainment, $15 is nothing. I pay $60 for console games and they don't necessarily have a lot of replay value either depending on the game. I subbed continuously until the end of MoP and since then I'm on and off and play whenever I feel like, but I don't get why others have to always bring up the $15 argument as if it's a shit ton of money, it's nothing and having played Classic beta, I have enjoyed the community aspect of playing which is what an mmorpg is about anyway so nah, it's not a con to me if I find enjoyment in it.
    60$ for a single player game vs over 2000$+ over 15 yrs for WoW, not including the price of the main game and expansions, and bless your heart if you bought them more than once. That's one seriously expensive game, for sure.
    "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Capped out on €250 in Battle.net balance and 10 WoW Tokens with a ton of gold still gathering dust.

I might, I might not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, yeah. You can probably tell from the thread that you're not the only one that feels that way. Was there something you disliked about it?
    Not really, I just don't see why I would want to go through the same slow grind I've already gone through before.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Christmas is when guilds collapse, people take breaks to visit family, kids are off school so need caring for e.t.c that means raiding stops which means others often leave to find guilds still raiding.

the guild i was in collapsed and tbh i didn't much care about the guild, id only been in it about 9 months or so but i took a few weeks playing bit and bats on steam and had the epiphany strangely when i was playing monster hunter:world that wow is outdated, shit and a waste of time and i hadn't been having fun for many many years, and id also missed out on a lot of absolute gaming gems by devoting all my time to wow, for a while i contemplated classic, but after a lot of thought i came to the conclusion that vanilla was pretty shit in reality and it isn't worth the money time or effort, on top of which when you break it down classic and vanilla they arnt actually all that different, the principle are the same, and that i had honestly grown out of the tab target formula for combat and the way the game plays at its root.
    Haha. I figured people would be gifting the game to each other, and there'd be an increase, not a decrease.

I guess with RID, having to stick around in a guild just to play with friends isn't quite as necessary. Otherwise I would have asked why you'd have stuck around for so long if you hadn't gotten to know anyone in that time.

Okay, well, I gave you a chance, but kinda feeling like you're just messing with me, so I'm just not gonna respond.
    "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    No. BfA drove me away, but I have even less interest in Classic than I did in BfA. I went through the Vanilla content years ago, and I really don't miss it.

Am I bothered by what the current dev team has done to the game, stripping everything good from classes and specs and leasing it back with temporary items, while failing at class design and balance alike? Absolutely.

Do I want to go back to a time when none of the best parts of the game even existed yet? No. Not that, either.

Resubbing. Not for classic, but for 8.2.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Monster Hunter sig pretty much sums it up perfectly.
    Operation Red Wing

You're the second person that's said they quit around Christmas, kinda sensing a pattern and wondering if it has to do with Blizz. What didn't you like about it?

I'm a believer in supporting gaming companies you like, but I still probably wouldn't pay for a sub if I wasn't playing.
    I quit mentally around Xmas but hung around until feb because I was MT of my mythic guild and I really do luv that crew and felt a lot of internal guilt about wanting to quit but them being in a rough spot without me going forward as we aren’t on a big server and there aren’t a lot of top tier tanks around.

As for wby, I just wasn’t feeling bfa. In some ways, it’s built around Alts with all the new races and I’m one of the old school one character type of gamers. To make matters worse, I’m a dh so the entire new races fall flat to me as I can’t use them. The gameplay and my class veng dh, both felt like a major step down from legion. I just didn’t like the necklace, and unlike legion, they force me into islands and emissaries for more AP (in legion it was more do what you want and get ap)

If it were t for classic I doubt I’d have maintained my sub but I’ve been here since vanilla and I always said if they did a vanilla server I’d support them so put my money where my mouth is in that regard

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason I would ever play Classic is if I can get my old crew of Trolls back together just to destroy some Pseudo-Elitist Guilds again.

Nothing more fun than making the "hardcore" Vanilla fanboys absolutely lose their minds.

60$ for a single player game vs over 2000$+ over 15 yrs for WoW, not including the price of the main game and expansions, and bless your heart if you bought them more than once. That's one seriously expensive game, for sure.
    This is the reality. I spent a fair chunk of cash on WOW. Far more than I spent on all of the other games I purchased together by the time that I quite. Now days there are lots of other options. You can get Origin Access for $15 per month ($100 for the year) and that includes a lot of games. You get XBox and PS subscriptions and what about the HumbleBundle monthly which gives you about 6 game per month for $12. There are sub free MMO's like GW2 and other non-gaming options for entertainment like Netflix, which gives me 4 concurrent streams for the same price.

People keep comparing the WOW subscription to a movie ticket but that's missing all of the other options out there. Blizzard should have switched their subscription to a Origin access type of system where you get all of their games free while you are subscribed. That would have made more sense. Unfortunately, they wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    playing it for free, for years, thats a small but significant fact.

please though do try and explain why $14.99 a month for a game from 2004 with no future content is good value for money and people should switch from p.servers to the official ones.
    Because contrary to popular belief, the majority of people who went to play on private servers weren't there because it was free but because they couldn't play the version of the game they loved.

Bfa is also part of a 2004 game btw, the game still runs on a subscription and people still pay it to this day, there isn't much difference deciding which version to play and subscribing to it.

The subscription cost dilemma is a decade old argument, to this day one can even argue that subscribing monthly to a game is a tad outdated in terms of content provided, but to be realistic here , shifting away from subscriptions to a free2play model that is heavily tied to in-game shops for the majority of it's "proper" functionality or prestige wouldn't really make it any less costly than a monthly subscription, in fact maybe even more expensive at times ( if other free2play games are any indication).

It would be better to pay monthly to maintain a pure game than to play a game that appears free but isn't and forces customers into their marketing plan, for me at least, would I have preferred if classic was free? sure. But I'm still going to pay for it.

@Ewwe

I'm not sure what reason there would be to still play on p.servers after classic releases, outside not wanting to pay the sub fee of course.

Either way the cost of maintaining classic after it's released is minimal compared to developing and releasing new content for their modern version, to be fair, pulling players back who haven't played in years is a big win for blizzard even if they don't end up staying for long, there's also a high chance that these players might discover BFA and future expansions since they're both linked , which was their strategy all along and then there's the huge content droughts in expansions which classic will help fill since it's a timeless game.

I believe blizzard's goal is to have players actually play both versions to reduce subscription downtime during droughts and to stabilize revenue streams.

But all of this is somewhat meaningless at this point, you are asking the wrong questions. Asking players to decide for you whether you should play the game or not is strange, if you wish to play it then do so, expecting to get actual answers to subjective questions from the internet is like asking whether your taste buds would prefer salty food over sweets, no one can answer that but yourself.

If you're unsure just try it and if you end up disliking it then stop playing it, it's that simple, no one can tell you if it's the right choice or not because most of the posters are here to talk about themselves and what they like, not what they think is good for you. Don't follow the masses and the bandwagon opinion about what you should do with your life, decide for yourself.
    Last edited by wholol; 2019-06-16 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Resubbing. Not for classic, but for 8.2.
    Same here man can't wait myself!

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    Because contrary to popular belief, the majority of people who went to play on private servers weren't there because it was free but because they couldn't play the version of the game they loved.

Bfa is also part of a 2004 game btw, the game still runs on a subscription and people still pay it to this day, there isn't much difference deciding which version to play and subscribing to it.

The subscription cost dilemma is a decade old argument, to this day one can even argue that subscribing monthly to a game is a tad outdated in terms of content provided, but to be realistic here , shifting away from subscriptions to a free2play model that is heavily tied to in-game shops for the majority of it's "proper" functionality or prestige wouldn't really make it any less costly than a monthly subscription, in fact maybe even more expensive at times ( if other free2play games are any indication).

It would be better to pay monthly to maintain a pure game than to play a game that appears free but isn't and forces customers into their marketing plan, for me at least, would I have preferred if classic was free? sure. But I'm still going to pay for it.

@Ewwe

I'm not sure what reason there would be to still play on p.servers after classic releases, outside not wanting to pay the sub fee of course.

Either way the cost of maintaining classic after it's released is minimal compared to developing and releasing new content for their modern version, to be fair, pulling players back who haven't played in years is a big win for blizzard even if they don't end up staying for long, there's also a high chance that these players might discover BFA and future expansions since they're both linked , which was their strategy all along and then there's the huge content droughts in expansions which classic will help fill since it's a timeless game.

I believe blizzard's goal is to have players actually play both versions to reduce subscription downtime during droughts and to stabilize revenue streams.

But all of this is somewhat meaningless at this point, you are asking the wrong questions. Asking players to decide for you whether you should play the game or not is strange, if you wish to play it then do so, expecting to get actual answers to subjective questions from the internet is like asking whether your taste buds would prefer salty food over sweets, no one can answer that but yourself.

If you're unsure just try it and if you end up disliking it then stop playing it, it's that simple, no one can tell you if it's the right choice or not because most of the posters are here to talk about themselves and what they like, not what they think is good for you. Don't follow the masses and the bandwagon opinion about what you should do with your life, decide for yourself.
    its rubbish that its because they want to play an old version, yes there are some but most of them are there because its free, you forget the p.server community has been big even when vanilla was current.

the sub model is outdated but at least with retail your getting live updates to the game, including graphically. with classic your paying £14.99 a month for something that looks like a kids uni game project with no future updates.

if your willing to pay that for that when you can still get it free elsewhere...well in my opinion your a mug to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha. I figured people would be gifting the game to each other, and there'd be an increase, not a decrease.

I guess with RID, having to stick around in a guild just to play with friends isn't quite as necessary. Otherwise I would have asked why you'd have stuck around for so long if you hadn't gotten to know anyone in that time.

Okay, well, I gave you a chance, but kinda feeling like you're just messing with me, so I'm just not gonna respond.
    i don't know where in my reply you think im messing with you, they are the reasons i quit and wont be back.

the social aspect isn't the draw it once was now we have things like discord and Facebook. my gaming group isn't tied much to an individual game anymore.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Resubbing (haven't played since Cata) just going to try it for a month. It looks like it should be fun. Not looking forward to shit graphics, no dual spec, and certain hybrid specs being trash but hopefully blizzard will address those things and if not oh well its just 15 bucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    defo a yes to classic. loved it back in vanilla and rewatching some old pvp videos like vurtne just makes me want to play it so much more. miss how awesome pvp used to be, literally watching 1 person dominate 3-4+ is just something you don't get now. there's no real RPG or sense of class anymore, every class now has ridiculous ways to survive through self healing or massive damage reductions, and ask many pvpers today about the current state of pvp (at least for several expacs), and its dire.

i personally wont raid much, though i may give it a go briefly if i get the chance, i'd prefer to be ganking hordes or steamrolling through some BGs but its gonna be a while till that phase is introduced so will just have to settle for some good old fashioned world pvp I miss the original state of the world, the quests, actually finishing zones/story lines, world pvp, the talent trees, classes as they were feeling distinct from another, and the class quests too added a bit of fun into the mix.

alot of people go on about rose tinted goggles and all that, but they all have favourite expansions which are 'in the past', so to just cease wanting to play something because its old is just a pathetic argument. we'll soon see how successful it is on a larger scale, but i for one will be looking forward to playing it again, retail just isn't cutting it for me anymore