Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    There are large groups of people who live below the poverty level, mostly living in rural areas. These bring the national average way down. In Appalachia people make as low as $8K a year. How do they live off of so little? A little farming, a little hunting, a little fishing, some trading etc.

You're better off finding out the average wage of a city. Like New York, the average wage is $70K, Houston TX is $60K and so on.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    you proly have to keep in mind what that number really translates for you,where i live lowest income are at around 400$ a month,that may sound low,but shit is also cheap,thats more than enough if you live alone,and in usa averege people spend half their lives paying school debts and they go bankrupt if they get seriously ill,you proly have none of those issues,we also have free public transport so thats also a huge financial gain over time
    Talking about how expensive stuff is.

https://graphics.wsj.com/table/BEER_062415
    Click sort by average supermarket price, I live close to Oslo, we need our high salaries. :s
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    There are large groups of people who live below the poverty level, mostly living in rural areas. These bring the national average way down. In Appalachia people make as low as $8K a year. How do they live off of so little? A little farming, a little hunting, a little fishing, some trading etc.

You're better off finding out the average wage of a city. Like New York, the average wage is $70K, Houston TX is $60K and so on.
    That's why you remove part time people from the equation and only look at the median, not the average. Full time median doesn't care if some hillbilly in Appalachia works 25 hours a week making $10k a year. Comes out to about 39.3k
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

1. That looks like some BS number to dictate success/failure.
    2. It's not easy unless you land a rare job that pays plenty for nothing or you got lucky (lottery, stocks, BTC, big lawsuit, etc). You're working for it, physically and/or mentally.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    That's why you remove part time people from the equation and only look at the median, not the average. Full time median doesn't care if some hillbilly in Appalachia works 25 hours a week making $10k a year. Comes out to about 39.3k
    Depends on what your data set looks like, doesn't it?

If I take a data set that has a median of $40K, then I remove everyone who makes less than $15K, say 20% make less than $15K, that will raise the median, right?

I'm asking.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Depends on what your data set looks like, doesn't it?

If I take a data set that has a median of $40K, then I remove everyone who makes less than $15K, say 20% make less than $15K, that will raise the median, right?

I'm asking.
    Obviously, I'm not sure why you're asking that. The median is what the person in the middle makes, and the data set you want depends on what you're asking.

In this context, the question is "how easy is it to make 75k a year". So, obviously removing part time, unemployed, and retired people make sense, since you're not realistically making 75k in those situations.

If you want to include every living soul in the nation, then only like 6% of people make more than 75k, instead of 14.42% like you get in the restricted data set. So the answer becomes "it's very rare". If you need the context spelled out like that, there you go. But no one in the field is going to consider children, retired, disabled, and unemployed people in the data set when answering this question. You'd want to look at full time people.

I assume you wanted to argue that my restriction makes my point look better when in fact it makes it look much worse.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Depends what stage of life you're at and what your talent level is, but yeah, it's not particularly difficult to make $75K/year if you're talented and make earning money a fairly high priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    I'm not sure how accurate this site is btw and it's from 2014.

edit: If it's accurate I just got jealous of Switzerland.
    3 Zambia $4,330.98
    What the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Nope. Anyone who says that is a moron. That is well above the average income for the US.
    True as far as it goes, but worth a mention is the difference between different demographics. This tool is a nifty way to look at that. For a male from Gen-X with a bachelor's degree, $75K is almost exactly median income. That lines up with what I said in my other post - lot depends on what stage of life someone's at and what their talent level is. For someone that's talented though, making $75K by the time they're around 40 is a pretty reasonable expectation. On the flip side, making $75K as a high school dropout nearly puts someone in the top 1% of that group - it's really hard to make a good living below a certain bar of talent and work ethic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    I went for Computer Science initially, and I worked in one of the most expensive areas in the nation under a major tech company, and I only made 90k, which felt like poverty after rent. I moved somewhere cheap after a few years, make about half, but I do consulting work remotely and my rent is less than 1/5 of what I paid previously. So even if you manage to make above that mark, you can still feel poor if you live in an expensive area..
    Yeah, when I made mid-60s as a postdoc living in the DC area, I certainly didn't feel like I was making a good living. When I moved to a cheaper area for a job and moved in with my then girlfriend, the amount of surplus cash I had on hand skyrocketed without any actual change in my pay. Looking at raw salary without consideration of local conditions is a pretty easy trap for people to fall into.

15+ Year Old Account
    if ur a hot girl that is willing to show off her body, yes it is very easy

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    Yeah I don't think it's very accurate, but Zambia is seemingly doing well atm.
    Oh no, they were not back then and they a certainly not now. Definitely a clerical error or out outright fallacious. Minimum wage is less than 80$pm.

https://tradingeconomics.com/zambia/unemployment-rate

Maybe this explains it, ~4000ZMK pm "family living wage", that is about 300 USD. Sounds like that figure in the table but, wrong currency.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I never found it easy. The amount of money I have made working, always required some sacrifices. And some jobs where physically hard. Like a engine block blaster. Hot, dirty and I would get home exhausted. But it paid well. And some where mentally exhausting. Like supervising a 3 shift operation with 35 people. Also, would come home mentally drained. But it paid very well and offered a much better future for my family.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

This year I will make about 160k, the people around me make a similar amount. Want to know what we are doing? No joke: Playing video games, watching movies and sleeping. Occasionally other people in the office get into nerf gun fights. Tech support for UAVs in the middle east. I deploy 3 months a year and other deploy 6 months a year but are off 6 months a year. Easy job good pay. Yes, if you look you can easily make 75k or over. If you want to be a philosopher... well then good luck.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    It's easy if you have no morals/are willing to exploit others for personal gain.
    I'd add, AND/OR have wealthy parents and start off with a lot of capital, to begin with.

It is easy to make money once someone already has money to begin with
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Oh no, they were not back then and they a certainly not now. Definitely a clerical error or out outright fallacious. Minimum wage is less than 80$pm.

https://tradingeconomics.com/zambia/unemployment-rate

Maybe this explains it, ~4000ZMK pm "family living wage", that is about 300 USD. Sounds like that figure in the table but, wrong currency.
    That is probably correct.

They also messed up the neighboring country Angola, nr. 32 on the list at $2,650.03. I checked your link and they should be at $440 right below Iran at nr. 131 close to the bottom, a lot more believable.

And I'm still jealous at Switzerland, your link puts them at 6291 CHF or $6,300.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on who you are and what you do. Easy in this instance can vary.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'd add, AND/OR have wealthy parents and start off with a lot of capital, to begin with.

It is easy to make money once someone already has money to begin with
    So true. The prosperity I have now, is the results of decades of hard work and self sacrifices working from the ground floor and up. When you are so poor you are sleeping on straw beds in a barn with dirt floors, only way to go is up.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

45 million americans live below the poverty line, so no. hard work doesn't really pay off as much as it used to (you get exploited and used up and then thrown out with the trash), college is a scam that MOSTLY has negative affects on peoples' lives but it's still borderline necessary. you are better off being lucky and likable than smart/hardworking/reliable

lucky and likable can get you a long ways, but you can't have self respect like that, you have to become this caricature of yourself that you'll regret one day