Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Medivh: Where does his Story go Now?

So at the end of "Return to Karazhan" Medivh is revealed to be very much alive and active. He then turns into a raven and flies off into the nether right after he indirectly tells the champions and Khadgar about going to the Tomb of Sargeras and then Argus.

We go to Argus not long after. No Medivh.

We breach the base of operations of the Burning Legion and slay our way through it. No Medivh.

Even during the fight against Argus the Unmaker with indirect interactions with Sargeras during his spooning session with Azeroth... still no Medivh.

Fast forward to the middle-esque part of the story of Battle for Azeroth and Medivh has yet to reappear again.

Now Medivh has been more than a major player in the Warcraft universe's story and Blizzard decided to bring him back in-game. Where do you think his story goes from here?

My thoughts:

- Eventual confrontation with the Void Lords. This is really the only thing that makes sense, since Medivh post-first-death-in-WC1 was all about getting us ready for the Burning Legion, and then again in Legion. He always was always the link that tethered us, the champions, to the bigger threat posing to us looming in the background. The Burning Legion is more-or-less dealt with and now the last remaining big bad guys are looming in the background once again. Will Medivh serve that roll again?

- Battle for Azeroth ends in a truce with Medivh being the mediator. Much like how MoP - another supposed "faction war" expansion - ended with the Horde and Alliance going after Garrosh, could Medivh conveniently reappear in-game again to stop Anduin and Sylvanas finally facing off only to tell us, "Guys, wait, look over there!" and re-direct our efforts to the big bad guys?

- Medivh went out to find Med'an. Back in the summer of 2016 there were many developer interviews for Legion. One of the questions were about Med'an and the answer was "Med'an is out adventuring in the universe, doing big important things that will one day come to fruition. He just isn't around right now." With Medivh being his father and all (and assuming he knows Med'an of being the all-powerful "chosen one") then it would make sense to bring Junior back into the fight. SOURCE LINK

- He doesn't reappear. Blizzard used him just as a one off for no apparent reason. And they have no real plans to integrate him back into the story. Personally, I would hate for this to be the case, but the current story of WoW is starting to phase out the rest of the "old guard" characters of the game. So I suppose it makes sense... I guess.

What do you think Medivh will end up doing next?
    Last edited by MechaCThun; 2019-06-16 at 10:59 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think his story is completed with the defeat of the Legion. I don’t see him returning for anything void related and I can’t imagine him coming back unless Sargeras does. Medivh has always been heavily tied to the Legion lore.

That said I don’t see how he was used as a one off for “no apparent reason” the apparent reason was his image was used to tempt Khadgar into joining the Legion by accepting a dark bargain in the Harbingers cinematic, and his use in Karazhan made perfect sense as his spirit is tethered there. After we defeated the incursion at Karazhan his job was done and he can rest again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really wish they would have used him more in Legion but his story is certainly not finished. I see his return most likely will involve the Old Gods/Void Lords and Sargeras' inevitable return.

Hasn't he been dead since like... shit, Warcraft 1 or 2? I know he showed up in Warcraft III but I thought that was an apparition or something. In fact, I don't think I was ever clear on that, so did Khadgar kill him or not? Because I thought he did but then he kept showing up to warn Terenas and Jaina, was that a ghost, or is he immortal, or what's the answer?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Hasn't he been dead since like... shit, Warcraft 1 or 2? I know he showed up in Warcraft III but I thought that was an apparition or something. In fact, I don't think I was ever clear on that, so did Khadgar kill him or not? Because I thought he did but then he kept showing up to warn Terenas and Jaina, was that a ghost, or is he immortal, or what's the answer?
    He was certainly killed in WC1.

Then the WoW comics established that Aegwynn brought him back from the dead:

Aegwynn spent years building up the power to bring him back to life and she was successful.[43] She revived him[44] by summoning him to Azeroth. He explained that while his spirit had been beyond the physical realm, Medivh's vast power had allowed him to glimpse into the Twisting Nether and touch the minds of the demons, allowing him to learn of the Lich King and the undead Scourge preparing for their next invasion.
    Then in WC3 he returns as "The Prophet" but then reveals his true identity to Thrall, Jaina, Malfurion, and Tyrande at the Battle of Mount Hyjal. I don't assume anybody else but those 4 knew he was alive after that time.

Who cares?

Like everything they touch in the game lately, they ruined the character and made him lame as fuck (the movie ten times moreso). Zero interest in anything related to him.

Medivh is a background character who directs others, but doesn't intervene directly himself. You may recall that he didn't lift a finger during Twillight of the Gods either.

They would have been better off not reusing him, leaving him as a legendary ghost who vanished without a trace. But they did, and he served his function in the story of Legion. True to character, he then didn't actually do anything. His story is completed not by showing up to fight something or something dumb like that, but by having him simply give direction.

His character would be greatly diminished if he took a similar role to what Thrall and Khadgar have done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I think Medivh was involved in RtK because you can't really touch on Karazhan, one way or another, without also involving Medivh. But beyond that I think his refrain at the end of WC3 still rings true - he's passed into the background, no longer the Guardian and no longer a figure to shape the future of Azeroth - that's more or less our jobs now. He might be touched on in the future again, but not in a way where he'll take a primary or leading role in the story being told.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Fodder to hype up the next big villain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

He should have been the main character of Legion instead of Illidan.

Quote Originally Posted by KLOCKWERK View Post
    He was certainly killed in WC1.

Then the WoW comics established that Aegwynn brought him back from the dead:

Then in WC3 he returns as "The Prophet" but then reveals his true identity to Thrall, Jaina, Malfurion, and Tyrande at the Battle of Mount Hyjal. I don't assume anybody else but those 4 knew he was alive after that time.
    Ah, thanks for explaining that, it's one of those small things I never looked up but every time I remembered I didn't I wondered about. Good'o Blizzard and their retcons or back peddling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Ah, thanks for explaining that, it's one of those small things I never looked up but every time I remembered I didn't I wondered about. Good'o Blizzard and their retcons or back peddling.
    What retcon or backpedal? We've known he was alive since WC3. We just didn't know HOW until the comic. It really annoys me when people incorrectly use retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Funkenstein View Post
    Who cares?

Like everything they touch in the game lately, they ruined the character and made him lame as fuck (the movie ten times moreso). Zero interest in anything related to him.
    Ben Foster had more to do with that than the actual abysmal script. Some actors are able to out-perform a bad script. Ben Foster is just meh as hell for a character like Medvivh. Ideally he should have been someone with the acting chops, like Benedict Cumberbatch or Lee Pace, but they couldn't afford or convince anyone big enough for any of the roles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    What retcon or backpedal? We've known he was alive since WC3. We just didn't know HOW until the comic. It really annoys me when people incorrectly use retcon.
    Fair enough, I didn't mean retcon, but if he was killed in WC1 and then popped up in WC3 unexpectedly and unexplained, that's something that annoys me.

"Oh yeah by the way, here's the Guardian who's been alive all this time that was killed in Warcraft 1." It's as if Gandalf showed up as Gandalf The White in Two Towers with no explanation for his return and they opted to explain how he's back like in Return of the King or something.

It's going to be either him, Illidan, or both, that shows up when something happens at the prison of Sargeras.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi View Post
    He should have been the main character of Legion instead of Illidan.
    Why? Medivh had already had his redemption story in WC3. Illidan shoehorned in or not, Medivh's story has been told.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    We know Khadgar is in Karazhan studying. Maybe Medivh is also back there to help him. I guess they're gonna find a tome that has information about the next big evil. Maybe something Shadowlands related because I find it hard for Azerothian books to hold knowledge of the Void Lords.

He's generally been leaving it to Khadgar, but couldn't resist a brief cameo for some good old fashioned cryptic warnings when we popped by his old tower.

They did go through the trouble of giving him a slight model update, so who knows? I'd be onboard with seeing him again when we check up with Khadgar, but for now Khadgar's current placement just feels like justification for him to be out of the spotlight for now (you've starred in 2 expansions now Khadgar, give the other main characters a turn)

Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasu65 View Post
    We know Khadgar is in Karazhan studying. Maybe Medivh is also back there to help him. I guess they're gonna find a tome that has information about the next big evil. Maybe something Shadowlands related because I find it hard for Azerothian books to hold knowledge of the Void Lords.
    He does mention he will be meeting with his mentor there aka Medivh, so Khadgar has a way to communicate with him and him being in the shadowlands is actually a good bridge to use toward that zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Archmage Khadgar says: The demons have been purged from Karazhan! Thank you, champions. Medivh, you would be a welcome ally in our war against the Legion.
    Medivh says: My path leads... elsewhere. Besides, Azeroth has found her Guardian in you, Young Trust.
    Archmage Khadgar says: I have made it clear before... I do not want such power!
    Medivh says: You have all the power you will ever need, Khadgar. It is your heart, your courage, that makes you this world's Guardian. And a better one than I ever was.
    Archmage Khadgar says: I... I don't know what to say, Medivh.
    Medivh says: Enough sentiment! Hear these words before I depart.
    Medivh says: It may be simpler to shut a door than to pass through it. But sometimes a step into the unknown is required to break the bonds of fate.
    Medivh says: There is much that lies ahead for all of us. Farewell.
    Archmage Khadgar says: The bonds of fate... I must consider those words. Until next time, champions.
    I think he will appear when we will get some cosmic threat. Also, we know that Khadgar is able to communicate with him.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Hopefully nowhere they shouldn't have brought him back post WC 3 at all.