Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Off course you are.

1) Yes
    2) In 1.12 - yes
    3) Bosses are immune to taunt anyways. If a raid group wants to make paladin to be able to tank - yes.
    4) Who are you again? How are we supposed to know?
    That is not correct. It varies quite a bit.

5mans/10mans/20mans: Mixed, some tauntable, some are not.
    MC: All bosses are tauntable.
    BWL: Firemaw, Ebonroc and Flamegor are tauntable.
    AQ40:Skeram, Bugtrio, Sartura (I think) and Fankriss are tauntable.
    Naxx: Instructor Razivious and 4hm are tauntable.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DrIvoRobotnik View Post
    1. Dungeon... spam? I mean, as much as your free time permits. Dungeons can take a few hours though.
    That is not what I remember. I remember it taking like 30 min or more of active searching of players to form a group. Usually involving /who <class> and asking if they were a healer/tank and wanted to come :P Then a 10-15 min for people to get to the instance. The dungeon in it self maybe took 20-50 min depending on which one, if you had keys, if someone in the group knew the way (looking at you, BRD) and if the group was solid.

Then again I think my memory is mostly from late vanilla and by then I had all keys, knew most dungeons inside out and had pretty good gear. A few hours might be more correct when you're new to the game, I guess.

OP:
    Get a group going and you can spam dungeons, sure, just know that the speed of vanilla spaming is a bit slower than what you're used to in most cases. Also, add good players (especially tanks/healers) to friendlist!
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuraijake View Post
    i'm playing wow classic and i think im gonna go with either human prot warrior or prot paladin w/enchanting and engineering

1.)will i be able to dungeon spam at level 60 for enchanting mats?

2.) did vanilla wow have trade chat connected between darnassus/iron forge/ stormwind?

3.) Could prot paladins tank 40 man raids without having a taunt?

4.)How long do you think a casual like myself would take to get from lvl 1 to 60?
    1. Probably. Although the "Disenchant" roll wasn't an option in Classic. And you'd have to be in groups that are willing to pass and let you have all the stuff nobody else wants. I remember what a lot of groups would do is pass on stuff nobody wanted and let the enchanter DE it, but then everyone would /roll for any shards or other good stuff afterwards. So even if you're the disenchanter in the group, keeping all the enchanting mats yourself may not be part of the deal.

2. Yes. City chat channels weren't connected in earlier versions of WoW, but I'm pretty sure they were by the time 1.12 came along. If I remember correctly, there was a time in WoW where each city had its own auction house too (so you could go to the Darnassus AH and see completely different stuff from what was on the Ironforge AH), but there was a patch that came along pretty early and linked all the auction houses.

3. Doable....maybe, but nowhere near optimal. Any raid that chooses paladin tanks over warrior tanks is hardcore gimping itself and probably having a bad time. You were better off as a druid if you wanted to non-warrior tank, but even that was still gimp compared to a warrior for most situations.

4. Depends on how "casual" we're talking about. As a complete noob who had no idea what was going on and played maybe a couple hours a night, I made it to 60 in something like 6-9 months (maybe not counting 1-2 months of that because I was barely touching the game). But if you've been playing since Wrath, you already have several years experience playing WoW, even if you've never touched Classic. So you'll probably have a pretty big advantage over someone who was an utter noob in 2005. A lot of my slowness the first time was because I spent hours going the wrong direction, chasing my tail looking for something, keyboard turning, etc.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-06-18 at 01:15 AM.

i'm playing wow classic and i think im gonna go with either human prot warrior or prot paladin w/enchanting and engineering

2.) did vanilla wow have trade chat connected between darnassus/iron forge/ stormwind?

4.)How long do you think a casual like myself would take to get from lvl 1 to 60?
    You will not be tanking, you'll be healing.
    You will not spam dungeons you'll do maybe one per day if you have a full team, less if you're using pugs.
    You will most likely never reach max level so all thoes questions are rather pointless. If you do, it'll take a you a few months unless you play 24/7.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. If you have to ask it's no. You can get away with it given a lot of knowledge, experience, effort and willingness from your guild. It's good for very few minor parts of certain raids.
    4. 10-12 days /played

1) Enchanting, without tailoring support is the most expensive tradeskill of all and with tailoring, it's still the most expensive, but less so to skillup. Engineering without mining is going to cost you a fortune and a half. If I were you, I'd start as miner/engineer and way later on, when you're packed with money (which means you'll have paid for your epic mount and can start saving, so make it one year from launch), drop mining for enchanting and finish all your gold quickly, or you can, if armed with a lot of patience, farm low level dungeons by yourself, but it's a slow process, not like modern wow.

3) Basically no. If you want to tank raids, you have to be a warrior, or if you are lucky to be in a guild that allows it, feral druid. Paladins heal, that's what they do and they do it well.

4) Paladin is slow at levelling, but hard to kill, so if you learn your pace, you can do it in an average amount of time, assuming you get good weapons as you level up. Calculate 240 hours, give or take. Less if you are familiar with classic content and even less if you play some classes. Enjoy it, the way to 60 can be quite fun.

1. Yes, even if you wanted to play Prot Paladin in 5mans you'd be okay to grind 5 mans for enchanting mats. That said dungeons still take a good 40 minutes to complete, unless you do specific quick runs for specific items.
    2. Yes, although it was mostly filled with people looking for groups for dungeons.
    3. No, no taunt wasn't the only issue with Paladin either ... late game gear wasn't well itemized for them to be tanks, same issue as tanking Druids face.
    4. If you're going Paladin and you've not leveled in Vanilla before? I'd guess a minimum of 250 hours/10 and a bit days, realistically? Closer to 15 days played.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

10+ Year Old Account

1) if by spam you mean do 5 dungeons an hour then yes.
    2) with the patch version they are working from the city trade chats were connected yes as were the auction houses so no need to all populate one major city for trading purposes.
    3) no, you play a paladin in classic, you heal, that's it and buff the raid with kings/might/wisdom (based on who needed which one).
    4) depends on how you play honestly, most people who played a few hours daily and did only quests with the odd dungeon thrown in took a couple of weeks to hit max level so up to you really.

i'm playing wow classic and i think im gonna go with either human prot warrior<- if you want to tank and not get shit from other players or prot paladin w/enchanting and engineering

1.)will i be able to dungeon spam at level 60 for enchanting mats? its the only way to have to farm for them but i wouldn't call it spamming, the amount of time it will take per run and the super low drop rate you might get a couple items a night maybe

2.) did vanilla wow have trade chat connected between darnassus/iron forge/ stormwind? went through the notes https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Patch_1.12.2 and it looks like it wasn't yet linked

3.) Could prot paladins tank 40 man raids without having a taunt? NO! - don't make that mistake avoid the paladin - its a trap!

4.)How long do you think a casual like myself would take to get from lvl 1 to 60? about a month or two

answered the questions in your quote in bold. enjoy.

Not really. While later it might not be a big issue to get the blue mats out of it, at the beginning, every piece of loot will be needed by someone. And even if it's not needed, you still need to win the greed-roll on it. So the chance to get anything is quite low.

Were the trade-chats ever not connected. Sorry, but it's too long ago, and since before 1.09 there was only an auction house at ironforge, i didn't really payed much attention to it.

No, Prot-Paladin are already pretty week at high level 60 5 man dungeons, Raids are simply impossible. You simply don't produce aggro. And i'm not sure if taunt worked on bosses, still it's still quite necessary. But most important is that you simply don't have the equipment for it. Neutral Equipment for Paladin's nearly don't exist for tanking, because their set is simply a healing-set.

Warrior are the tank, period.

That's hard to say. While leveling at the beginning is still quite fast, later it get's tedious, and while the quest-zones are quite easily done until level 30, from here on it's getting pretty hard. Quests are until 30 quite abundant, but after 30, they are getting far rarer, and the zones are quite a bit appart. 30-40 are a hell and don't even try going too far in stranglethorn, because while there are a few level quests at 30-31, you faster outlevel the zone than you can gain level, and after 40, it's quite important to get your: "level 60% faster-buff" aka mount.

Grinding is also a very important aspect out of it, since many quests after 30 are not just inside the zone, but require you to get around the world, if you actually want to finish the questlines.

And if you also want to see the leveling-dungeons, it will take a while.

And the most important question: what class do you want to play: A Warrior has by far the worst leveling speed, even worse than paladin, while a Hunter will be quite quickly on level 60, if you manage your bags well, and also have a bank-alt. For example ammunition: why keep thousands of rounds/arrows in your bags, when you could simply buy them with your bank-alt, then send them to your mailbox and get as many as you need from every mailbox out there, especially at the beginning, when the quivers are still a bit slow. You still are forced to use them because of the attack-speed-buff.

So i think your leveling-speed will be acceptable to level 30, then plummet quite a lot until 45 when you reach felwood, and will gain speed again at 50 when you get into the plaguelands/un-goro.

Still, 30-50 will take quite a while and most of the players really struggle here.

Prot pally only existed by name in vanilla.

pre-mop you could not tank with out agro management and taunt.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    pre-mop you could not tank with out agro management and taunt.
    Sorry, but that's bullshit. Paladin-Tanks were very viable after BC and full tanks after WotLK. I tanked throughout BC, and it was a blast. Only in Vanilla Paladin couldn't tank, but after BC, when Paladin got an castable-aggro buff AND also a taunt (they got one in BC that they could cast on a friendly person to taunt from them up to 3 enemies)

Paladin-Tanks were also super viable in Raids too; they got the raid-set, and in Mount Hyjal they were actually even necessary to tank there. It's possible without them, YES, but Paladins were still important.

5+ Year Old Account
    You could do some dungeon tanking with paladin but that’s about it.

Go warrior join us join the master warrior race.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    I'll note that you absolutely can tank well while leveling. The irony here is that you have to go Holy to tank (At least until 20), because Prot has no way to AoE for threat. You just gear like a tank as a Holy Paladin, or start putting points into Prot after you get to 20. You can tank or heal acceptably until 60, although you'll start to notice tanking becoming inefficient around 50.

At endgame you're a healer.
    "holy" shit this is genius... i may do exactly this... its a great idea thank you.. i saw dat consecrate in that holy tree

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zephire View Post
    OP:
    Get a group going and you can spam dungeons, sure, just know that the speed of vanilla spaming is a bit slower than what you're used to in most cases. Also, add good players (especially tanks/healers) to friendlist!

aye aye will do sir/ma'am o7 i forgot about the time it takes to put together a group and head out to places, but yeah i'll make sure my rep doesnt get tarnished so i can find ppl

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    answered the questions in your quote in bold. enjoy.
    avoid the paladin? but.. but.. justice n glory :/ ty for answering those questions, to be honest most the answers about the connected trade chats between cities claim that they ARE connected, i'll have to take a look at that link

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brewshine View Post
    You could do some dungeon tanking with paladin but that’s about it.

Go warrior join us join the master warrior race.
    :/ thats looking like the option... really wanted to play paladin and im unsure about healing all the time... if only Classic BC came faster -_-

1) You are not going to spam dungeons. Forget that mentality. Each dungeon will take at least an hour. Higher level dungeons are going to be even longer.
    2) I am not really sure but I think around the end of vanilla it was connected.
    3) Nobody will take you dungeons or raids if you are going to tank as prot pally. Forget that. Trust me. You can form your own group and one wipe, people will blame you for your idiocy and leave your group.
    4) I am wondering the same thing as well. Back when I was a high school student, it already took 2 months I guess. Now it should take way much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    Read the thread in my sig, it will tell you more than everything you want to know.
    Man that post of yours was funny to read. Just to read it all and "relive" some of the shit things we had in vanilla was nice. It had some good stuff, sure, but so many, many things were stupid af

1. I guess you could technically, but the time spend waiting and travelling makes it not worth it at all.

2. Trade chats weren't linked and the same goes for the AH itself (Edit: they might have gotten linked at the end of vanilla but i dont remember..)

3. Paladins are healers foremost, with their main focus on...buffing and dispelling

4. 3-4 weeks prolly, depending on your playtime
    Last edited by Leefa; 2019-06-18 at 01:10 AM.

"holy" shit this is genius... i may do exactly this... its a great idea thank you.. i saw dat consecrate in that holy tree

- - - Updated - - -

aye aye will do sir/ma'am o7 i forgot about the time it takes to put together a group and head out to places, but yeah i'll make sure my rep doesnt get tarnished so i can find ppl

- - - Updated - - -

avoid the paladin? but.. but.. justice n glory :/ ty for answering those questions, to be honest most the answers about the connected trade chats between cities claim that they ARE connected, i'll have to take a look at that link

- - - Updated - - -

:/ thats looking like the option... really wanted to play paladin and im unsure about healing all the time... if only Classic BC came faster -_-
    i only went through with the browser find looking for the key word chat so i could have missed it but i went through from 1.1 to 1.12 and found no city chat being linked.

and as for the paladin yea...... there supposed to be all justice and glory but as they admitted in tbc they fucked up the paladin big time, and as some one who fell for the trap the first time round, i recommend avoiding it no matter how desperate others might want you to be a buff bot. unless ofc mostly just auto attacking is how you want to level.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    1. Probably. Although the "Disenchant" roll wasn't an option in Classic. And you'd have to be in groups that are willing to pass and let you have all the stuff nobody else wants. I remember what a lot of groups would do is pass on stuff nobody wanted and let the enchanter DE it, but then everyone would /roll for any shards or other good stuff afterwards. So even if you're the disenchanter in the group, keeping all the enchanting mats yourself may not be part of the deal.
    Thinking about it now, what a idiotic way to deal with the shards. I remember too that we rolled for shards in pugs and stuff, but now the idea that the enchanter wasn't supposed to keep it all is kinda funny. Times were indeed different back then.