Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    hmmm 1019?
    At the height of the Byzantine empire, during the Macedonian Dynasty, under Constantine the VIII?

I'd say chances of survival would be pretty good.
    I could teach people arithmetic or geometry for a living. Or could introduce physics classes for them!
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

I'd be mostly deaded..... unless I can reach the closest city (which is i believe Tongeren in Belgium) as zeh Swamp Dragon was not really founded until 1190 or so.

Considering that the earth is moving at 390 km per second, the same spot a thousand years ago is roughly 1.3 lightyears away from the earth. Chances for survival are slim.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Since, my imune system cant handle all the "new" pathogens and the past was very dirty i would say a few painfull weeks.
    "The past was very dirty"? A thousand years ago? It depends on where you land. If it was America or Canada, you are most likely living in the cleanest environment you can imagine. There was no civilization to really fuck it all up yet. And the tribes that lived there were respectful to the land.

Now, if it was in London, or Rome... you might be proper fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellamas View Post
    Bring some dynamite and the recipe, a steam engine with some coal to show how it works, and large ship building blueprints with a full map of the world. Making sure you pick the culture you want to take over the world before transporting would be advisable.
    Things like building huge ships is not something you would actually see the payoff for, certainly not in a concquering way. Unless you have actual experience with a technology, you could probably only just get it rolling and see it develop over the next 2-3 decades, by which point you are already in your 50's. The building times alone will probably be years each time.

Not to mention alot of the stuff that is required to be efficient isn't even around yet. Building ships is kinda shit if you can't get the lumber there and have no means to properly process it. A steam engine is useless if you have no metal working skills to replicate it. Dynamite, well that one might actually work if you look up how to process it and where to source the stuff.

Imho you'd be best off to just try to seed as much tech as you can and try to make life better for everyone around you, ensuring your own position in the process.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-06-17 at 04:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Screwed, I can survive on my own for the most part but as soon as I meet locals it could get ugly. Modern English is very different to old English, without understanding each other who knows what may happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by banur View Post
    Considering that the earth is moving at 390 km per second, the same spot a thousand years ago is roughly 1.3 lightyears away from the earth. Chances for survival are slim.
    See, this is my biggest issue with potential time travel. I mean, even if you can adjust for the Earth's rotation, or that your X & Y coordinates can account for land aggregation and erosion... time travel mechanics will be hard pressed to accurately calculate the position of the Earth in the galaxy at a given time.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    You dont survive long, because you have no natural immunities to anything you are in contact with, and no humans you make contact with survive either for the same reason.
    Yeah, I forgot about that working the other way too. I remember there was some concern over that guy who ignored the warnings and went to North Sentinel Island last year, because he could've wiped out the entire island's population if he had a cold or something. Not to mention the natives killed him and buried him (so they were handling his corpse, there was probably contact with some bodily fluids, etc).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    Yeah, I forgot about that working the other way too. I remember there was some concern over that guy who ignored the warnings and went to North Sentinel Island last year, because he could've wiped out the entire island's population if he had a cold or something. Not to mention the natives killed him and buried him (so they were handling his corpse, there was probably contact with some bodily fluids, etc).
    He wouldn't have even needed to be sick to accomplish that.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

I probably die within 5 minutes of dysentery.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    You're 25. You walk into a McDonalds and poof! You're transported back in time a thousand years. You're completely naked. The McDonalds is gone and you find yourself in a pasture, the same spot as the McDonalds but a 1,000 years ago.

How long do you think you could survive? What is your strategy for survival?
    Head towards the Missouri river (South/South-West of where I'd most likely be) while trying to not have a panic attack. I have little to no survival skills and am pretty out of shape, so I don't know if I'd be able to make it the thirty or so miles. It's a long distance on foot without access to food, water, or shade (or shoes). If I do, I can then try to eke out a living along the river (fresh water and fish) long enough to find one of the local Native American tribes and pray they're friendly and willing to take me in. I'll probably be bright red at that time from the sunburns and in serious pain, so if I wind up not finding anyone, or my health deteriorates too quickly, I'd probably drown myself rather than dying of starvation or disease.

EDIT: Oh right, modern diseases. I guess I'd probably just kill myself, then. I don't want to cause an epidemic, and there's no way I can survive on my own without any form of tools or even clothes. If I had at least clothes and the things I carry on me, I might manage since I have a swiss army knife, but I'd have to avoid people. In that case, I'd start to head south to avoid the harsh winters.
    Last edited by The Stormbringer; 2019-06-17 at 04:43 PM.

Quickly drown in the Florida swamps and become food for the wildlife.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

7+ Year Old Account
    Proberly find a nearby village, get some foods and some clothes, head for the nearest town and use my skills of math to get by in the start. Proberly try to relearn the language and then become a writer. I could proberly live a good life, if i just managed to get into contact with a goverment establishment, that cared about knowledge and skills.

Could proberly sell alot of maps, since i have a generel knowledge of the world layout. Maybe warn some people about the plaque and spread better generel hygiene

Edit: That is ofcourse if my body could even survive in the ecosystem. Will proberly get some disease quite quickly and die randomly ><
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a big nerd of early British and European history, this is a topic I can get behind.

How would I fare being trapped 1000 years ago? So the year would be 1019,

Most notable setting was a lot of stuff involving the viking raids and the Angelo-Saxon setting... Not sure I wanna live through that, unless I was living inland :P

Living in thatched houses sounds appealing, I been a sucker for the old thatched homes. Most people back then lived in the countryside. Although there was no glass windows back them. So keeping warm would be hard outside of candles and there were no fireplaces in most homes. Wooden or earthy floors don't sound appealing either as well as taking shits in a hole in the ground...

Not sure the fashion would appeal to me. Anglo Saxon men wore a shirt and tunics. They also wore breeches, not sure how I can flaunt those awesome styles... lol

As for food, a lot of the food back then you even had to make yourself, or you were rich enough to buy. Consider myself one of the poorer people I would probably have to make my own bread and ground my own grain. Something I learned a few years ago was we never had any forks back then, You have knives and spoons thats about it and they were wooden very much like all their cutlery. Probably wouldn't be able to afford meat as meat was a luxury only rich people enjoyed. I'll be sticking mainly with bread, cheese and eggs it seems. :P

This lifestyle would have me dying early no doubt, the advancements in medicine vastly overtake what we had then.
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-06-17 at 05:13 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Noone around, lots of wood and easy acess to water and fish and middle of summer? yes please im waiting for my trip

15+ Year Old Account
    Well Oslo was an early city around year 1000, and I live right by some ruins from a church that is from before year 1000. So I would probably have to seek refuge there and try to explain that I am from a far away place. Since I also know basics on how to write Norse with the latin alphabet I will be able to communicate atleast slightly with the scholars from the church. Hopefully this will help me to get ahead in life, the vikings where pretty good with their scholars at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    Well Oslo was an early city around year 1000, and I live right by some ruins from a church that is from before year 1000. So I would probably have to seek refuge there and try to explain that I am from a far away place. Since I also know basics on how to write Norse with the latin alphabet I will be able to communicate atleast slightly with the scholars from the church. Hopefully this will help me to get ahead in life, the vikings where pretty good with their scholars at that time.
    Better be careful, somewhere around that time I'm sure they started burning people for crazy ideas and black speech lol.

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    You're 25. You walk into a McDonalds and poof! You're transported back in time a thousand years. You're completely naked. The McDonalds is gone and you find yourself in a pasture, the same spot as the McDonalds but a 1,000 years ago.

How long do you think you could survive? What is your strategy for survival?
    99% would die in first 24 hours. simple as that.

7+ Year Old Account
    North west coast of Norway, maybe my ancestors would let me join a few raids xD
    I already have the looks and endurance xD

Ugh do I have to?

Try to unite the indigenous people of NA against the impending white devil.

If that doesn't work I'd go down to the Aztec empire and try to get them to stop cutting each other's hearts out...long enough to unite against the impending white devil.

If that doesn't work and I get to keep all my organs...I'd go down to the Incan empire and tell them stop all this damn dancing...