Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkiah View Post
    because you have this backwards: it's not that a universe exists where those values are just right to support life, it's that life blossomed under the existing conditions in such a way that met those conditions.
    the mistake here is assuming that "life as we know it" is somehow the default, or is some kind of optimal configuration - in fact, it's simply what happened to sludge up out of the myriad of circumstances the universe presented it with.
    You realize that was exactly his point ?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanishingAct View Post
    No I don't, I think its fucking stupid. I like to think what it would be like going through life with 3 dicks but no, there isn't a version of me in some other reality that has 3 dicks.
    Well that would depend if evolution could ever produce those genes. Animals with too many unnecessary appendages tend to die off since they cost resources but don't confer much benefit.
    Last edited by PC2; 2019-06-17 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Do you believe in a multiverse theory which talks about infinite alternate versions of our universe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse
    Even if there are an infinite number of universes, I'd be dubious that even one exists where the populace of this sub-forum are qualified to have an opinion on the nature of the universe.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Believing or not believing in it doesn't matter, since it doesn't change anything.
    This. I find it a waste of mental energy to be concerned about the existence of a more than one Universe. Much more important things to think about which we do know exists.

Another way to put it is....I am aware it is not what I do not know by which I will be judged, but by what I did about what I do know.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-06-17 at 01:21 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

From what I've read about multiverses, multiple dimensions and multiverses were just a way to get the math to work.

Maybe someday scientists will find another way to get the math to work.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Do you believe in a multiverse theory which talks about infinite alternate versions of our universe?

Not really.

The whole concept of multiverse comes about due to mathematics of various physics disciplines, which includes various concepts of time travel (i.e. time travel backwards, time travel forward is something we already do). A multiverse resolves the various possible time travel paradoxes.

Where the concept breaks down (at least for alternate versions of our universe) is in two major regards:

1) Thermodynamics doesn't operate backwards

2) The fact that the universe is expanding (space itself)

In both cases, this likely makes time travel (backwards) impossible which then begs the question about "multiverse as alternate versions of this universe" as even being something to consider (again, for alternate versions of this universe, it really is about resolving time travel paradoxes).

This is not to say that there can't be a multiverse, but each one is likely drastically different from our own.

10+ Year Old Account

Hard to 'believe' in something that is not able to be proven.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Believing or not believing in it doesn't matter, since it doesn't change anything.
    it would if they find a way to get there someday, might be easier to colonise that then cross the vast distance of space in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Hard to 'believe' in something that is not able to be proven.
    Or one could say that makes it easier: if we knew it to be true or false there would be no need to 'believe' in it - or it would be flat out wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes, we got already portals to an alternate past, and a dragonflight that can alter it

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don’t really believe in alternate versions of our own universe, but I do believe there’s multiple universes.
    More this ^^

Don't think the big bang was an unique event.

Seems like it could have resulted from the mass compressed by one (gargantuan?) black hole from another older universe.
    Our universe's black holes could have also created new universes as well... (and continue to do so?)

I have some difficulty in believing there could be another me in another earth out there.
    I don't have a hard time believing multiple universes exist and are still being created ... in whatever strange place this universe is.
    Last edited by RangerDaz; 2019-06-17 at 05:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe or maybe not, but it adds another layer to trans dimensional existence.

If they do exists and there are parallel universes where history is different; then that means we are not in control of our destiny. Living creatures are variables and the choices they make create a butterfly effect for eternity. These parallel universes still have to abide by the laws of physics other wise that isn't a parallel universe but a completely separate universe that has its own building blocks.

I break down the dimensions as coordinates in my own pseudo science here:

1st: Latitude
    2nd: Longitude
    3rd: Altitude
    4th: Time
    5th: Parallel Dimension: What we are talking about here.
    6th: Trans-Dimensional universes: Same Atomic structure like ours, but separated from our universe with its own parallel appendages.
    7th: Xeno-Trans-Dimensional: Building blocks and psychics are completely different than ours.

EDIT: Then again, we could all be living in side a black hole which was created when a massive sun exploded (big bang) and that is how the universe works. Eventually all of reality will collapse into itself and there will be nothing but nothingness to the point that it hurts your brain to think about.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2019-06-17 at 06:02 PM.

in this universe yes however in another one i don't
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

I don’t believe in it. Not to say I disbelieve it, I just haven’t looked at the evidence to come up with a logical conclusion.

Is this the thread where we perform Olympic mental gymnastics to avoid the inescapable conclusion that there is a god? It is? Very well, I will leave you to your painful looking contortions.

Yes it does! It means if you don't believe in it there's an alternate reality where you do,and vice versa!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Or one could say that makes it easier: if we knew it to be true or false there would be no need to 'believe' in it - or it would be flat out wrong.
    That's how I feel about evolution.

I don't believe in evolution; I instead know it to be correct because of the overwhelming evidence, from the fossil record, geological record, DNA, genetics, cellular make up, organ structure, body form, embriology . . .

But I believe in the multiverse theory because it makes sense to me and there's no real way to verify if it's true or not. If on the rare happenstance that the next einstein proves it wrong, then I'll change my mind. It's not life changing or that important.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    Is this the thread where we perform Olympic mental gymnastics to avoid the inescapable conclusion that there is a god? It is? Very well, I will leave you to your painful looking contortions.
    Oh I'd love to have this discussion, but forum rules deny me that humor.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and I hope they bring back Sliders

A better question is do all these universes exist in the same spacetime, seperate spacetimes, or is there a super-spacetime that houses all the other little spacetimes.

Does she suckle the baby spacetimes until they are old enough to raise little spacetimes of their own. Do they feed on other spaces and times or do they consume an alternate source of energy?

And it begs the question...are there multiple multiverses? I am very smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    And it begs the question...are there multiple multiverses? I am very smart.
    There are multiple variants of multiverses, so if you believe Greene or Tegmark's the answer is yes.