View Poll Results: If someone gave you an envelope with your death date inside of it, would you open it?

Voters
106. This poll is closed
  • Yes, lets face the music

73 68.87%
  • Nope, I dont really want to know

33 31.13%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nymphetsss View Post
    If it was 100% certain, I would for sure. Say I die a year from now, I would have kept working and saving money investing, instead Id blow my money on crazy trips and have the most amount of fun i could.

The people saying " HUR DHURR id just kill myself , that'd show em." Well if it was 100% accurate , you'd shotgun half your face off but live as a twisted freak, or od on pills and get confined to the crazy ward as a suicide case ETC.

If its not 100% certain this date is correct then its just some random guy giving you a date, so who would follow it
    there are numerous ways to die. more than a few of them will guarantee that you die. i'd like to meet the person who survives falling off a 60 story skyscraper.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

as this could save me tens of thousands if not hundred of thousands of dollars i'd immediately open it.
    get only the insurance you need, get life insurance a month before.
    if i die at 70 then there's not really much sense in paying tons of money into retirement fonds / insurance.
    i could calculate exactly how much money i would need before i could retire etc.

the question is, is it set in stone?
    if not then how do i die?
    disease, bad lifestyle, cancer? i could probably prevent it then.
    murder in my hometown? i could just move a month before, etc.
    Last edited by GnomeEU; 2019-06-18 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post

yes since the date on the paper would have to be a set date unless you can claim that magic exists.
    Sure, but maybe you try and cant or when you do try it IS the day. You know what I mean?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd be more worried if it was in a notebook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I would open it. I'm going to assume for the sake of the theoretical question, it is truly prophetic and has the correct date.

If the date is soon, I know to keep an eye open for possible things that could kill me, hoping to avoid it. Maybe I could call in sick to work that day or book time off and just try to enjoy my time at home so that if I do die, I've died doing something I like rather than working.

If the date is maybe 20-30 years in the future then I'll suspect it might be caused by not taking good enough care of my body and try to make some changes to my diet and activity levels. If I succeed in motivating myself into improving my health, then that's sufficient benefit whether it prevents the death or not.

If the date is 40-60 years in the future, I'll think I've lived a decent to long life and I can just simply plan my finances to match up with my eventual death. No point saving up for too much past the time of my death.

Here's a question, How many of you in here have actually died and been brought back ??? Really more curious about the whole near death and death experiences what with people claiming to have seen family or being drawn towards a light ect. Personally I died 3 times over a few hour period (obviously with them managing to resuscitate / bring me back) and I remember absolutely nothing at all, Ended up losing a huge chunk of my memory going back over 3 years

Yes because I don't want to work a full week and die on a Friday or something like that. Im calling the fuck out!

15+ Year Old Account
    That is curious. If you know you die today in a car crash, would you still die even if you choose to not leave your home, or die next time you meet a car? Maybe I've watched one too many Final Destinations, where you will die soon after even if you cheat death.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

there are numerous ways to die. more than a few of them will guarantee that you die. i'd like to meet the person who survives falling off a 60 story skyscraper.
    https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/j...iled-parachute

that was the first google result !

10+ Year Old Account
    now your just splitting hairs. if you fall 600 feet chances are your going to die.
    but here's a whole bunch of other ways you can cheat the date given to you.
    1. climb to the top of mt everest and stay there. (hell you don't even need to go to the top.)
    2. tie a cement block around your leg drive a boat to the middle of the marianas trench and wait. the ocean will take care of the rest. it's a pretty deep trench.
    3. go get friendly with a bear.
    4. get bitten by a inland taipan snake.
    5. play with a male sydney funnel web spider.
    6. go play in the vaccum of space with no spacesuit.
    7. jump into a active volcano.
    8. go play in the icy crevaces in alaska.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2019-06-19 at 03:41 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

In this case fate / destiny would have to be real? And nothing we could do would change the future / change the date of our death?

If that's the case knowing the date of your death would be pointless.

now your just splitting hairs. if you fall 600 feet chances are your going to die.
    1. climb to the top of mt everest and stay there. (hell you don't even need to go to the top.)
    2. tie a cement block around your leg drive a boat to the middle of the marianas trench and wait. the ocean will take care of the rest. it's a pretty deep trench.
    3. go get friendly with a bear.
    4. get bitten by a inland taipan snake.
    5. play with a male sydney funnel web spider.
    6. go play in the vaccum of space with no spacesuit.
    7. jump into a active volcano.
    8. go play in the icy crevaces in alaska.
    The presumption of the hypothetical is that the date is 100% accurate , so no matter what you did , you would live until that date

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Ignorance is bliss
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

The presumption of the hypothetical is that the date is 100% accurate , so no matter what you did , you would live until that date
    At the same time I don't think it would allow you to live your life any differently then what was already predicted.

Otherwise how can the prediction be accurate if it doesn't take into account everything that you'll do?

In this case it's pointless knowing because you wouldn't be able to change anything.

Shit yaaaaaaaa…

thought with my luck it would read.....

"right now"

and I would drop dead

7+ Year Old Account
    We most likely live in a deterministic universe. Someone knowing when I die would create an absolute paradox, so I wouldn't believe it anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    Once you get above 8000 feet you are on a timer till death. Everest = 29,400 feet. So for 21,400 feet it's a race to the top and back before you die.
    https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_zone

Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Immediately. So much of my life would be simplified if I only knew exactly when I'll die.
    Thats my attitude too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.