Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account

Chinese Food(Sichuan or Guangdong or Vietnamese Food

Having visit loads of restaurant and try homemade for yrs, I tend to love several dishes with them
    Chinese:
    Canton style: Roasted Duck in Guangdong style, Fried Pork with Pineapple.
    Sichuan style: Chongqing style boiled blood curd,poached sliced beef in hot chili oil.

Vietnamese:Beef on Rice Noodles (Bun Bo Nam Bo) series,Pork on Thick Noodles (Cao Lau)series.

What about you guys?

I only know so many many many vietnamese, laotians, hmong and thai that would be so very very upset with you over calling their food "chinese."

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    I only know so many many many vietnamese, laotians, hmong and thai that would be so very very upset with you over calling their food "chinese."
    Sir., I believe that the division between Chinese and Vietnamese food is clear in this thread, and I also believe those people probably not cooking Chongqing style boiled blood curd,poached sliced beef in hot chili oil,Roasted Duck in Guangdong style and Fried Pork with Pineapple in their country (local Chinese there not included and they won't be upset by these recipes).

I think what @Shelly is referring to is the missing parentheses after "Guangdong" in the title.

For me, Vietnamese all the way. There's so much more to Viet food than pho or bun than people know,
    Last edited by Dwarfhamster; 2019-06-18 at 03:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like American takeout Chinese.

I've had some Jamaican-Chinese infused food, I guess a foodie asked you "what is that". Good stuff.

I think people try to micro label food too much.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Best food to come out of China: roast duck, roast pork, and various dim sum stuff, though I think that's more of a Hong Kong thing than mainland China.

Best food to come out of Vietnam:

I'll take all of the above,preferably in buffet format.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I like American takeout Chinese.

I've had some Jamaican-Chinese infused food, I guess a foodie asked you "what is that". Good stuff.

I think people try to micro label food too much.
    Yep, sometimes it is a good idea to change a food style and gain some extra pleasure in life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    I think what @Shelly is referring to is the missing parentheses after "Guangdong" in the title.

For me, Vietnamese all the way. There's so much more to Viet food than pho or bun than people know,
    All right~

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    Best food to come out of China: roast duck, roast pork, and various dim sum stuff, though I think that's more of a Hong Kong thing than mainland China.

Best food to come out of Vietnam:

Yeah, Cantonese food, nice~

Quote Originally Posted by DevilTrigger1989 View Post
    Having visit loads of restaurant and try homemade for yrs, I tend to love several dishes with them
    Chinese:
    Canton style: Roasted Duck in Guangdong style, Fried Pork with Pineapple.
    Sichuan style: Chongqing style boiled blood curd,poached sliced beef in hot chili oil.

Vietnamese:Beef on Rice Noodles (Bun Bo Nam Bo) series,Pork on Thick Noodles (Cao Lau)series.

What about you guys?
    Your question is like asking ... Which European cuisines do you like X or Y?

How about everything?

Whichever dishes don't have onions.

The Devil's apple.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Whichever dishes don't have onions.

The Devil's apple.
    For the smell of onion, it's OK, but I do not like the taste of it. Anything without it will be a plus for me to accept.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Your question is like asking ... Which European cuisines do you like X or Y?

How about everything?
    err..well, just a discussion, not asking~

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    While I like Sichuan and Cantonese cuisine, I probably prefer Lu when it comes to chinese food though the taste changes radically when made outside China and substituting their excellent vinegar for solid but very different local options
    After all, some materials are area-restricted, you cannot obtain it easily when you are not in the area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vietnamese food: I'm guilty of aggravated stereotype. I can't say that I've found any I dislike but the dishes I know are limited. Sigh, yes, I admit to liking banh mi, goi cuon, and having a particular weakness for cha gio. Back when I was in the Army, I went in after the Vietnam war but close enough on its heels that senior officers and NCOs had usually been in it. In one office they would make a trip every month or two to a small place they felt stayed authentic. As the junior guy, I'd get hauled along and went with whatever they were ordering. The major had been a Ranger and would dust off his Vietnamese to chat with the staff and order.

Cantonese food: One of my old assistants was Cantonese. She knew that I had a fondness for some things like Cantonese roast meats, but that there were things I hadn't tried. She missed Cantonese food, so we'd make an outing 2-3 times a month to a place near campus. I loved the roasted goose and we'd always get clay pot rice, whatever else came down to who was eating with us (often a couple of her friends would join us) and what they missed most. I can never remember what to call it, but there was a dish (not particularly spicy) with lots of dried peppers, garlic, and one form of fried meat or another.

Sichuan food: Another assistant was from Sichuan and very picky about Sichuan restaurants here in Beijing. We would make the occasional trip to the restaurant run by the provincial government for a good meal, but once a month or so we'd try other places. The duck blood (by itself or with eel and other ingredients) is a longstanding favorite of mine, as are the smoked duck, the very soft tofu served in a bowl, bullfrog, and pickled vegetables. Hmm, when my stomach recovers from the hospital and I can eat spicy food again, duck blood and pao cai will be worth searching out.

Image is Sichuan maoxuewang

@DevilTrigger1989 Not meaning to derail or hijack your thread, but have you tried stuff from some of the other provinces such as Shanxi, Shaanxi (not the same as the other), Gansu, or Xinjiang? Those are all regular favorites of mine, and of course real Hunan food too.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

3+ Year Old Account
    See, I just won't agree here. We can import any number of crappy fakes but we cannot import brilliant condiments and food materials that are not perishable? It's just that the supply chains don't exist yet. The market does, local shops started stocking up more complex japanese ingredients and they move very well. If they can sell mirin, they can sell Fujian red vinegar, the demand will be there.
    Yep, I said not that easily, in the past with difficulties of transportation and costs, now might still have difficulties of costs, that is, price will be expensive compared to original places.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    See, I just won't agree here. We can import any number of crappy fakes but we cannot import brilliant condiments and food materials that are not perishable? It's just that the supply chains don't exist yet. The market does, local shops started stocking up more complex japanese ingredients and they move very well. If they can sell mirin, they can sell Fujian red vinegar, the demand will be there.
    It depends on where you live really. I live in Hamburg, second biggest city in Germany. I do like to cook authentic, I search for recipes from around the world and try to find the most authentic. I can't afford to travel much, so that's my next best thing... learning about the cuisine of a country gives insight to so many things.
    Now, living in a busy harbor town with a lot of immigrants and such, you would think you can get everything anywhere. Truth is, I have to search a lot to find the right ingredients. And often I end up disappointed. And some things I could get, but the price wouldn't be reasonable. And that's in the second largest city in my country. Someone 100 Kilometers away in a small town would be lucky if the grocery there has more than one kind of soy sauce...

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    What is area restricted? I've yet to be unable to find something I want in thai stores, they have had everything I've been looking for so far.
    I mean some special materials, for example, fresh rich noodles, which can only kept around 3 days in fridge, won't be able to brought to faraway places. What you see in the store might be dried one, but with little fragrant of rice compared to fresh ones.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Vietnamese food: I'm guilty of aggravated stereotype. I can't say that I've found any I dislike but the dishes I know are limited. Sigh, yes, I admit to liking banh mi, goi cuon, and having a particular weakness for cha gio. Back when I was in the Army, I went in after the Vietnam war but close enough on its heels that senior officers and NCOs had usually been in it. In one office they would make a trip every month or two to a small place they felt stayed authentic. As the junior guy, I'd get hauled along and went with whatever they were ordering. The major had been a Ranger and would dust off his Vietnamese to chat with the staff and order.

Cantonese food: One of my old assistants was Cantonese. She knew that I had a fondness for some things like Cantonese roast meats, but that there were things I hadn't tried. She missed Cantonese food, so we'd make an outing 2-3 times a month to a place near campus. I loved the roasted goose and we'd always get clay pot rice, whatever else came down to who was eating with us (often a couple of her friends would join us) and what they missed most. I can never remember what to call it, but there was a dish (not particularly spicy) with lots of dried peppers, garlic, and one form of fried meat or another.

Sichuan food: Another assistant was from Sichuan and very picky about Sichuan restaurants here in Beijing. We would make the occasional trip to the restaurant run by the provincial government for a good meal, but once a month or so we'd try other places. The duck blood (by itself or with eel and other ingredients) is a longstanding favorite of mine, as are the smoked duck, the very soft tofu served in a bowl, bullfrog, and pickled vegetables. Hmm, when my stomach recovers from the hospital and I can eat spicy food again, duck blood and pao cai will be worth searching out.

@DevilTrigger1989 Not meaning to derail or hijack your thread, but have you tried stuff from some of the other provinces such as Shanxi, Shaanxi (not the same as the other), Gansu, or Xinjiang? Those are all regular favorites of mine, and of course real Hunan food too.
    I just listed what I favorite most, for Shanxi and Shaanxi, their noodles series are brilliant. For Xinjiang, lamb and beef of high quality always make you gain weight rapidly.

Chinese food

Chinese food is the most protein intake food in the world. Diet like boiled egg is also very good to lose wait but just egg cant be the main source. You need to take some calories from food like chinese food and it has no fat.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Get this diet : Boiled egg diet.

Thai. They fry everything in batter just like the English.

I could eat deep fried shrimp in batter all day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilTrigger1989
    I just listed what I favorite most, for Shanxi and Shaanxi, their noodles series are brilliant. For Xinjiang, lamb and beef of high quality always make you gain weight rapidly.
    IIRC, you are fairly young and got hit with gout, is it possible you might be a bit more sensitive to those? I have friends with gout, so I realize that the red meat/gout issue is purines, but I don't know what other digestive issues might crop up and I think water retention may be an issue for some. As long as I run heavily towards meat I do alright, although I do tend towards lean meats and minimal carbs when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd
    One thing to be noted, China has like, EIGHT cooking traditions but because the majority of immigrants are from specific areas most people abroad only know of Sichuan and Guangdong cuisine which is a shame.
    Fiancee 1 got her papers as a 5 star chef here. Eight is the traditional breakout, with several other strong contenders outside of those. I would guess that most will recognize province quicker than the classic cuisine name though -- for example Shandong instead of Lu. For anyone else who may be wondering what the hell I'm going on about here is a quick link with a map and descriptions: https://www.chinahighlights.com/trav...ht-cuisine.htm

It looks like I may need to get used to Henan (Yu) food at some point in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd
    If they can sell mirin, they can sell Fujian red vinegar, the demand will be there.
    In fairness, mirin is more widely used in Japanese cooking, whereas Fujian red vinegar is rather specific. Some things that are more regional, particularly when it comes to higher quality versions, are pretty limited in supply. I don't think that the major local chains for Fujian food in Beijing use much of the stuff and while I'm sure I could get it online, it isn't something I recall running across in my normal shopping.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post

that looks really good. now im hungry for that.
    we have a decent sized hmong community here.
    also punjabi cuisine is best cuisine.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2019-06-18 at 12:53 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.