10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Yes there are groups that bad. When I, as an AST, am out dmging ALL THREE other party members in addition to the tank not being able to hold aggro off of me, I would rather not play with people shortly after that. Its a group I should've noped out of shortly after the first boss
    I had groups like that in WoW... I didn't make it past the 3rd trashpack.

Can't remember having one this bad in FF-XIV though.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post

You had groups in WoW where the healer outdps'd the 3 other DPS and the tank?! What expansion was this? I've never once seen that (of course I was in the dungeon, so naturally it never would happen, but jesus that's impressive, because healer DPS sucks for anything past burst window (sustained DPS is cabbage, but burst over 30s isn't terrible especially in something trivial).

Yes there are groups that bad. When I, as an AST, am out dmging ALL THREE other party members in addition to the tank not being able to hold aggro off of me, I would rather not play with people shortly after that. Its a group I should've noped out of shortly after the first boss because it was a serious test of patience, but I'm stupid. :\

Like these groups do not happen that often, but when they do I need a break from them and being able to continue doing what i was doing with trusts is a nice option.
    Yeah fortunately I've never seen that because I'm always in my own runs lol. I have seen runs where I am #1 and the healer is #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    I must be lucky, I don't have too many issues during roulettes.

Party finder? Now that's a different matter entirely...

In the event I do get a hopeless group (which is rare) I usually just kick a player if they're causing trouble or just eat the thirty minute penalty and do something else with my time.
    What kinda PF issues you run into?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    'Farm' parties where someone leaves as soon as they win a roll on a mount, or they have a clear but don't understand the mechanics at all and lead to a wipe.

I can see why a tank or healer would use the trust system, in that you aren't going to have to deal with random players who are absolutely awful. I can see myself using it after a particularly bad run to like "cool off".
    I've had bad groups, but never THAT bad, at least not in FFXIV, I've had several in WoW where idiots not paying attention made it impossible to clear the dungeon. I've rarely...like maybe 1-3 times since I've been playing FFXIV where the group was simply unable to complete the content no matter what. Most recent one I even remember was a Castrum Abania run where the DPS just flat couldn't do enough damage to the boss. I was the healer and we got 2 stacks onto each arm on the final boxx before I went OOM and then got blamed for not keeping the tank alive when he got hit by an AoE, had the massive DoT ticking AND then got hit by the big boss hit/ tank buster.

One of the few times I actually went off, explaining exactly why we failed and that we'd continue to fail if the DPS didn't step it up and the tank didn't think the shiny stuff on the ground was fun to play in... It was at that point BOTH DPS decided to let us know that they had broken gear. I just left and signed off. Still shaking my head just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibblewink View Post
    The Trust system would also be a safe way to dip in to a role you are less comfortable with - After all I doubt they programmed the AI to grumble if you screw up horribly 5 or 6 times
    True, hadn't thought about that. That would be a really good way to test a new role/ class before diving into group content.

Careful what you wish for, it is very easy to make these encounters into a nightmare no one wants to attempt with randoms.

Yeah, that's the reason why I prefer tanking dungeons.
    *click* -> invite -> boom.
    Fair enough.

I generally prefer tanking dungeons too. I've just been on a DPS kick lately and have other things to do while I'm in queue so it doesn't bother me that much, except when I'm going through the story. We'll see how that pans out in the coming weeks after Shadowbringers.

Ah come on, people aren't THAT bad.
    I mean it's a dungeon and it gets completed no matter what.
    Also, flawless groups are boring as a healer. Just throwing that out there.
    I've met lots of PEOPLE that are that bad, but rarely had any GROUPS that were collectively that bad. I've had several groups where the other three carried the horrible 4th through the place kicking and screaming, so to speak. Of ANY role.

Terrible tank being carried by amazing heals and DPS, Terrible healer being carried by a great tank and DPS who could off-heal, and of course terrible DPS that just got carried by everyone else.

I'd be disappointed if Shtola didn't.

That "little sun" comment made me laugh so hard.
    Yup, was one of the few times playing video games where I actually laughed out loud. Playing through the story a second time my wife, who is not a gamer, was in the room when I went through that scene with my speakers on...even she chuckled.

Same. Thinking back to Cataclysm specifically and how many groups I had that couldn't even get to the first boss in Stonecore.

FFXIV, I've had slow groups that couldn't pull more than a pack at a time many times, but only a couple times where we simply couldn't clear a boss.

You had groups in WoW where the healer outdps'd the 3 other DPS and the tank?! What expansion was this? I've never once seen that (of course I was in the dungeon, so naturally it never would happen, but jesus that's impressive, because healer DPS sucks for anything past burst window (sustained DPS is cabbage, but burst over 30s isn't terrible especially in something trivial).
    I remember being in an Eye of Azshara Heroic group through Dungeon Finder where a Discipline Priest wiped the floor with everyone. It was LATE in the expansion and they were just far far better geared than everyone else.

Cataclysm had a TON of groups where they simply couldn't deal with the mechanics, don't remember DPS numbers being terrible, was more about just not being able to cope with the mechanics.

I miss Cataclysm dungeons sometimes.

It's rare, and you honestly kind of know what you're getting into based on the language in the PF but still... I've met more impatient, uncompromising, triggered, douchebags in PF than in DF. Expectations set too high and random people just not living up to them, and the offender apparently just having a REALLY short fuse to begin with.

The only real expectation I have for DF is that I clear the content and don't have completely useless people in the group. I don't use a parser, so for me that really just means I see you pushing buttons, moving with the group, and not failing to every mechanic.

I've also had the complete opposite experience where the expectations aren't set high enough. I understand that in learning groups, you're intended to be learning, but when you've gotten past the same mechanics multiple times, you're not learning THAT part anymore. I know it would likely be counter intuitive, but I almost feel like there needs to be a limit on failing mechanics in learning parties like there is in some progression parties. Failing the same mechanic 3+ times means you get benched. The other 7 people want to move on and learn the rest of the fight.

I remember Zurvan Extreme, I did ~5 learning parties..... none of them ever cleared it, and only a handful of times did I ever make it passed the ultimate without dying. We fell apart very quickly after that. So even after 5+ hours of "learning" Zurvan I never came close to clearing it, and therefore never stepped in to a clear party. Those are ~5 hours I'll never get back, and I can't help but feel like it was time wasted because I still couldn't tell you the mechanics of the last half of the fight without simply referring to a video guide.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't referring to healer DPS specifically but the "multiple deaths on trash groups" kinda bad. Yup I have seen it.
    I also had 3hr SLABS runs back in TBC when we were all bloody rookies and hat 0 clue. Man, those were the times.

BTW: I outdps'd plenty DPS players with HolyNova / star spam on large trash pulls. And that was w/o raid gear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I generally prefer tanking dungeons too. I've just been on a DPS kick lately and have other things to do while I'm in queue so it doesn't bother me that much, except when I'm going through the story. We'll see how that pans out in the coming weeks after Shadowbringers.
    Yup I did side quests / beast tribes / forum trolling when I leveled my DPS. I leveled them almost exclusively via DF tool.

- - - Updated - - -

I've met lots of PEOPLE that are that bad, but rarely had any GROUPS that were collectively that bad.
    Precisely and since it is 95% irrelevant in dungeons if you have one player that is dead weight is probably the reason why I don't remember failed runs in endgame farm content.

In fact, I only remember one run clearly: Brayflox normal, tank in sub 20 gear w/o job quest back in ARR.
    It just wasn't possible for me to heal him, he was basically instagib.
    We collectively aborted the run after 10 minutes or so and politely told him to up his equipment and do his class quests.

Regarding Cataclysms dungeons: The worst was people who were incapable of interrupting casts. How often I wiped due to that I can't even count.

I've seen disc do it during like mop.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ok so...

I've been wanting to get into FFXIV and the new expansion seems like a great place to start.

Any reccomendations?
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I've seen disc do it during like mop.
    Wierd, because as a Paladin tank in MoP I was always top damage, top healer, and top in highly unnecessary damage taken.

Fuck I miss Vengeance cheesing.

Never forget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    Wierd, because as a Paladin tank in MoP I was always top damage, top healer, and top in highly unnecessary damage tankings.

I don't remember exactly, but it may have been after prepatch for wod when vengeance was changed to resolve. I too miss vengeance cheesing tanking was so fun during that time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Ok so...

I've been wanting to get into FFXIV and the new expansion seems like a great place to start.

Any reccomendations?
    I recommend a Trial acct and a preferred server (they give you 100% for the first 90 days you play that character). If you enjoy the game purchase a complete edition when they come out around ShB launch (not the current ones, the ones that include everything up to Shadowbringers)

If you meant something else you'll have to clarify :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    https://www.wowdb.com/npcs/62397-wind-lord-meljarak
    Oh yes, tanks had lots of fun on that one, the rest of the raids DPS were merely there for decorative purposes.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.wowdb.com/npcs/62397-wind-lord-meljarak
    Oh yes, tanks had lots of fun on that one, the rest of the raids DPS were merely there for decorative purposes.
    I liked to think of the rest of my raid team as my cheer squad.

Vengeance was so broken, it's kinda remarkable it lasted all the way till WoD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Yup I did side quests / beast tribes / forum trolling when I leveled my DPS. I leveled them almost exclusively via DF tool.
    Most of my classes in Stormblood were leveled the same way. I generally max one of each role, then focus on leveling the tanks, then healers to consolidate gear quickly and make room for all the gear pouring in. After that I focus on the DPS that share gear with the one already maxed, then figure it out from there.

I think I only used HoH for Dragoon and Ninja, I had everything else maxed by then.

Precisely and since it is 95% irrelevant in dungeons if you have one player that is dead weight is probably the reason why I don't remember failed runs in endgame farm content.

In fact, I only remember one run clearly: Brayflox normal, tank in sub 20 gear w/o job quest back in ARR.
    It just wasn't possible for me to heal him, he was basically instagib.
    We collectively aborted the run after 10 minutes or so and politely told him to up his equipment and do his class quests.

Regarding Cataclysms dungeons: The worst was people who were incapable of interrupting casts. How often I wiped due to that I can't even count.
    Brayflox normal in ARR was almost always painful, because it was the first dungeon where players really needed to have their shit together as far as gearing, class quests, etc... Constantly had tanks with low level gear, hadn't completed their class quests or gotten their advanced job so were just decimated by everything in there.

Most painful thing I remember from Cataclysm was simply not attacking the right target, and people using AoEs like crazy when the problem mob was CC'd so it kept getting un-CC'd and then destroying the group or fleeing into the next big pack. Not interrupting was the associated problem with this, but was a somewhat secondary issue. But yeah, I can't even count the number of times we wiped due to a mob living longer than it should or not getting interrupted. Stonecore leading up to the first boss and Vortex Pinnacle, I think? with the electric pyramid things that absorbed spells coupled with the healing mobs. Uggh.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember exactly, but it may have been after prepatch for wod when vengeance was changed to resolve. I too miss vengeance cheesing tanking was so fun during that time

- - - Updated - - -

I recommend a Trial acct and a preferred server (they give you 100% for the first 90 days you play that character). If you enjoy the game purchase a complete edition when they come out around ShB launch (not the current ones, the ones that include everything up to Shadowbringers)

If you meant something else you'll have to clarify :P
    Oh yes, Im with a trial account right now.
    So, there's going to be a complete edition with Shadowbringers?

Neat
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

15+ Year Old Account

Neat
    If you're quite sure you are going to play into the expansion, I would personally recommend buying the starter edition now and pre-order shadowbringers for the Aetheryte earrings. They're pretty nice to have, even on top of the road to 60 buff.

If you're quite sure you are going to play into the expansion, I would personally recommend buying the starter edition now and pre-order shadowbringers for the Aetheryte earrings. They're pretty nice to have, even on top of the road to 60 buff.
    This is true, won't cost anymore either I don't think, 19.99 for the starter and 39.99 for the expansion?

15+ Year Old Account
    This is true, won't cost anymore either I don't think, 19.99 for the starter and 39.99 for the expansion?
    Ayep, should be roughly the same price as buying the complete edition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vortex Pinnacle, I think? with the electric pyramid things that absorbed spells coupled with the healing mobs. Uggh.
    I just mind controlled those. Hey healed for an insane amount. 1 heal -> tank full kinda insane.

Wee, all 3 sightseeing logs are now complete.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2019-06-18 at 06:56 PM.

Neat
    Ayep, should be roughly the same price as buying the complete edition.
    I agree. Get the complete edition for ~$20 and then pre-order Shadowbringers for the aetheryte earring with the xp buff. More than worth it if you're just starting, since the earring gives you that xp bonus all the way to 70.

Base edition is only $40, so that's the same total price as the complete edition.

I just mind controlled those. Hey healed for an insane amount. 1 heal -> tank full kinda insane.
    I mained my Druid healer in Cataclysm so that wasn't much of an option for me. When I played other classes, rarely did I get into a group that had a competent healer who happened to be a Priest, so I only saw that trick a couple times. IIRC Shaman and Druid healers were the FOTM healers in Cata, at least that's who I remember seeing more often.

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree. Get the complete edition for ~$20 and then pre-order Shadowbringers for the aetheryte earring with the xp buff. More than worth it if you're just starting, since the earring gives you that xp bonus all the way to 70.

Base edition is only $40, so that's the same total price as the complete edition..
    I'll need to check the ol' credit card since I've been abusing it the whole Month.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I'll need to check the ol' credit card since I've been abusing it the whole Month.

Thanks for the tips everyone!
    Sorry just to clarify, I meant starter edition for $20, not complete edition...that's not $20. My bad.

What server are you on?