Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    This is an issue I very rarely see brought up. Some foods are simply traps, they appear healthy on the surface, like fruit juice, but as soon as you look at the labels you see they're loaded with sugars. And it's an easy trap to fall into because most people assume that anything with fruit in would be healthy by default. You don't have the time to scrutinise all the labling on everything you buy at a supermarket, and the manufacturers know that. Unless you're already in the know, you're going to take the short-cut and assume the fruit based product is a healther alternative.

Obesity is a problem that needs to be tackled on multiple levels. Education is a key part of the solution that seems to be constantly overlooked. Nutrition is complicated, which is why there are so many contradictory studies out there, but it's not magic. I firmly believe that the average person can wrap their head around the basics required to make good food choices without the need to overcomplicate it.
    My own family are like that. My grandma just assumed juice is healthy. So when the doctor told her to drink healthy drinks, she assumed any juice would do. A ton of people simply see calories being labeled as the big bad guy of it all and don't bother with anything else. Even here you see people saying "eat less calories and you'll be fine". No, its other parts of it too. Less calories but high sodium will still be way bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Bullshit. They got fat becuase they eat too much and they would most likely do well without that medication as well. Take responsibility for your own actions. You are fat becuase you're lazy. Simple as that.
    This is so asinine its laughable. If it was that simple, obesity wouldn't be an issue. Way to ignore any health conditions that may cause it or the fact that poor genetics could cause it as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DevilTrigger1989 View Post
    People are lazy after work, I am the example. After a day's work, I loved to lying, playing games and eating junk foods. Then yrs later, I got gout due to excessive intake of purine, which mainly from seafood and meat products. Now, I force myself to go out for at least 6000 steps a day and try to improve my body status. The next step is try to smoke less, or even give up on it.
    I'm trying to better myself too. I have a very active job now and my diet is improved. I have lost a lot of weight. Problem is, and always has been, my asthma. Get too rough and I would have an asthma attack. Still, I found a way to get it done.

If it was as easy as some in this thread make it out to be, it would honestly not be a problem at all.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2019-06-19 at 06:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

In short the addition of sugar into nearly every processed food

Quote Originally Posted by voxnor View Post
    "Found a fat person." Was I hiding somewhere? Do you get a prize? I have posts on these boards stating I am obese.

You're anecdotal evidence of seeing couples is meaningless - but cool for you.

So if 30 pounds can be blamed on 'this or that', but not 100 pounds - where is the line? Why? Is that just your opinion, or do you have some science to back that up?

I mean shit, you people talk like you know how everyone's body's work. I didn't realize we had so many MD's on MMO Champ.
    Honestly stop with the self pity. I stated some people put on wieght more easily than others but we all have control and a choice. The line is when you start getting over wieght you start doing something about it. Eat less workout more. Cut out bad foods. That's all there is to it. Are you honestly going to claim that if you were put in a labor camp in North Korea and given 1500 calories a day and had to break rocks you would stay fat? This is an extreme example but I have no doubt if you ate less and exercised more you would slim down.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    This is so asinine its laughable. If it was that simple, obesity wouldn't be an issue. Way to ignore any health conditions that may cause it or the fact that poor genetics could cause it as well.
    Health issues can make it easier to gain weight and make it harder to lose it as well but the chance of you getting or actually having one of thoes is really, really small. Just "genetics" does not make you fat. Genetics might make you lazy and stupid enough to not do anything about it but you always have options.

So yes, it's that simple. You are fat becuase you choose to not do anything about it and becuase it takes less effort to be fat and lazy.

Do away with unnecessary carbs, no fast food, never eat more than you actuall need, no candy, snacks or soda and move your ass. It's all on you, don't blame anyone or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post

I am actually in the beginning phase of a juice cleanse (I am currently down 5 lbs over two days) and I expect to drop 40 to 50 lbs over the next 45 days. I started off at 280 and my goal is to weigh 200 to 210 by October.
    What's your reason for doing something as extreme as that? Your body cleans on its own you don't need to be on "juice cleansing diet". Did you fell for marketing scam? With diet like that you will be losing mainly muscle mass and not just fat which will fuck your metabolism over in the long run. What do you plan on doing after you complete your diet? If you go back to your old habits you will put on even more weight than before and with something like that its very likely to happen because you didn't correct your bad eating habits also you will be left out with fucked up metabolism. I would honestly rethink your diet plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Not everybody can blame genetics and problems with their metabolism.

I eat fast food like 4-5 times a week, and on top of that lots of snacks and soda, basically I never think about what I put in my mouth, and I'm not even slightly overweight (77 kilos on 179 cm). I'm also 31 so I've reached the age where the metabolism "apparantely slows down".

Do people constantly have their hands in a bag of crisps, or a spoonful of icecream, or what?

I just don't understand how people can let themselves become so big when I'm such a lazy fuck, who don't even go to the gym, who manage to stay healthy.
    In before someone mentions that my insides probably are rotten to the core. Nope, had my biyearly health exam last month and all of my tests came out perfect.
    i call bs on this unless your idea of "fast food" is dietetic chicken with rice and you spend 4-5 days a week in gym working out really hard .

Yeah, sure, genetics

I mean, YES, there are a FEW genetic and health conditions that can cause obesity problems. But that's some sort of tiny percentage of the population.

Reality check :
    - In the early 1900, nearly nobody was fat, much less obese.
    - Today, overweight people are from one fourth to two third of the population.
    - Obesity levels stick in a pretty clear-cut way to cultural borders.

So either mankind is going through a deep genetic modification that only affect some cultures (which is a ridiculous notion on so many levels I don't have enough characters available to laugh at it), OR it's about lifestyle.
    Guess which it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Honestly stop with the self pity. I stated some people put on wieght more easily than others but we all have control and a choice. The line is when you start getting over wieght you start doing something about it. Eat less workout more. Cut out bad foods. That's all there is to it. Are you honestly going to claim that if you were put in a labor camp in North Korea and given 1500 calories a day and had to break rocks you would stay fat? This is an extreme example but I have no doubt if you ate less and exercised more you would slim down.
    But but I can't lose weight I run 3 marathons a day and only eat 1 apple yet I'm still 200kg.

The amount of bs in this thread by fatties in denial is unbelievable, take some responsibility for yourself and admit you have a problem instead of bitching and moaning and trying to think of an excuse to blame as to why you can't. 99% of fat people are plain lazy, yet 99% of them will claim they have some problem that makes it impossible. Get a grip.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Yeah, sure, genetics

I mean, YES, there are a FEW genetic and health conditions that can cause obesity problems. But that's some sort of tiny percentage of the population.

Reality check :

So either mankind is going through a deep genetic modification that only affect some cultures (which is a ridiculous notion on so many levels I don't have enough characters available to laugh at it), OR it's about lifestyle.
    Guess which it is.
    Damn man, that's a tough one, I'm really not sure on the answer. I'm going to blame genetics though, because if I say that then it's not my fault and there's nothing I can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Fair enough.

Of course not. A lot men will screw anything that moves and there's always rule34/fetish.

Ew.

That would be an exception, not the rule, FYI.

For a relationship/"love", you should consider other factors, as well. But physical attraction is based primarily on aesthetics.

It depends on how you define "big". If they're huge and/or too soft, they're gross. If they're implants, they're gross. If they're size appropriate to the body, then shape is more important than size. But for the most part, I prefer small, firm and perky on a petite woman.

Nope.

Agreed!
    I only like hot girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Yeah, sure, genetics

Reality check :

Guess which it is.
    Or its the food and the fact that so much junk is added to it now. Most other countries don't allow even half of the additives that the US has in its food. Back in the 1900's, most meals were home made and cooked from scratch. Now we get so much processed junk that its hard to lose weight or stay at a healthy diet. Its pretty well documented why.

Its not just lifestyle. Its a slew of things. Just because you Think its a small percentage impacted by genetics, doesn't mean its true. In fact, Nearly 43% of the population has the FTO gene. Combine that with a worsening diet in general, and its not a "tiny percentage" that has that gene.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Health issues can make it easier to gain weight and make it harder to lose it as well but the chance of you getting or actually having one of thoes is really, really small. Just "genetics" does not make you fat. Genetics might make you lazy and stupid enough to not do anything about it but you always have options.

So yes, it's that simple. You are fat becuase you choose to not do anything about it and becuase it takes less effort to be fat and lazy.

Do away with unnecessary carbs, no fast food, never eat more than you actuall need, no candy, snacks or soda and move your ass. It's all on you, don't blame anyone or anything else.
    If it was that simple, there wouldn't be a lot of obese people. Most of them want to lose weight and don't like being fat. Each person needs to figure out how to best lose weight. What you said is basics and wont ensure success on its own. Mix and match any combination and you could find success. Sure, there are some lazy people who are fat, and others who like being fat. However, its ludicrous to just label everyone as lazy. There are a lot of problems with the American diet, including that messed up food pyramid and so much junk added to our food that you don't see in other countries.

As for the other statement, I have asthma. Yet I am losing because I figured out a method that works for me.

Am I saying that there is an excuse to be fat? Not even for most of them. The problem is the food they can eat, time restraints on cooking healthier options, and poor education on what even constitutes a healthy diet.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Or its the food and the fact that so much junk is added to it now. Most other countries don't allow even half of the additives that the US has in its food. Back in the 1900's, most meals were home made and cooked from scratch. Now we get so much processed junk that its hard to lose weight or stay at a healthy diet. Its pretty well documented why.
    You can still buy fresh produces even more easily than before. Most people (including myself) simply don't want to bother with it, and also don't want to bother with exercizing. All that is still mainly about lifestyle.
    Its not just lifestyle. Its a slew of things. Just because you Think its a small percentage impacted by genetics, doesn't mean its true. In fact, Nearly 43% of the population has the FTO gene. Combine that with a worsening diet in general, and its not a "tiny percentage" that has that gene.
    So basically it's still mainly about diet and lifestyle, just that having some genes can amplify it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lack of selfcontrol, i had that for the longest time, now i go to the gym 3-5 times a week.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

If it was that simple, there wouldn't be a lot of obese people. Most of them want to lose weight and don't like being fat. Each person needs to figure out how to best lose weight. What you said is basics and wont ensure success on its own. Mix and match any combination and you could find success. Sure, there are some lazy people who are fat, and others who like being fat. However, its ludicrous to just label everyone as lazy. There are a lot of problems with the American diet, including that messed up food pyramid and so much junk added to our food that you don't see in other countries.

As for the other statement, I have asthma. Yet I am losing because I figured out a method that works for me.

Am I saying that there is an excuse to be fat? Not even for most of them. The problem is the food they can eat, time restraints on cooking healthier options, and poor education on what even constitutes a healthy diet.
    Oh but there would becuase people are lazy and like to blame their own shortcomings on other people or some outside thing affecting them when it's really up to them and only them.
    You have the information you need to eat healthy and even if the US has a lot of junk you should have zero issues finding some chicken (not fried ffs!!) and some low carb vegetables. It's not that hard and it's not that expensive it's just not as easy as just buying junk food. But you have thoes extra 15 min it takes to prepare a good meal, you really do.

And asthma, no matter how serious is not a problem what so ever (well, when it comes to this). It might limit your ability to workout as others would but in no way does it limit your ability to eat right. In fact, it might be a very good reason to actually work out and eat well as being fat will affect your condition in a negative way.

Again, if you're fat it's becuase you're lazy or you simply don't care. Stop trying to blame it on anything but yourself. Not saying you specifically but it's quite common that fat people seem to want to blame anything but themselves but they really are wrong there. Simple as that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Lack of selfcontrol, i had that for the longest time, now i go to the gym 3-5 times a week.
    Now, thats the way to do it.

Too much sugar in foods, and easy access to fast food. that's why people are overweight. They eat fast food and junk food every day. Just exercising once or twice a week would help cut down some of that fat, but most people are lazy and claim they don't have the time. You can pick one or the other (eat carefully and rarely or never exercise or work out a few times a week and eat all you want)

10+ Year Old Account
    Easy... because food is delicious and mobile games suck.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I can't eat at the rate the OP does, I'd get fat fast. So I'd say the obesity problem is a combination of bad metabolism and lack of self-control. If neither your body or your habits put in the work, you're left with the load.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

If it was that simple, there wouldn't be a lot of obese people. Most of them want to lose weight and don't like being fat.
    Bullshit, people can "want" all they want, people don't put their wants into action. The average American consumes 3600 calories a day, this is at the upper limit even for someone who's making fitness a part of their daily schedule. Given that those calories are very unlikely made up from rice, spinach and chicken breast, one can easily conclude that the average American is eating like shit, and also moving less given other studies.

People aren't making healthy choices, they aren't exercising and they don't know what they're shoveling into their mouths. Genetics have nothing to do with the obesity crisis that has 40% of Americans and 25% of Brits classified as obese, these are societal changes.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmage View Post
    Bullshit, people can "want" all they want, people don't put their wants into action. The average American consumes 3600 calories a day, this is at the upper limit even for someone who's making fitness a part of their daily schedule. Given that those calories are very unlikely made up from rice, spinach and chicken breast, one can easily conclude that the average American is eating like shit, and also moving less given other studies.

People aren't making healthy choices, they aren't exercising and they don't know what they're shoveling into their mouths. Genetics have nothing to do with the obesity crisis that has 40% of Americans and 25% of Brits classified as obese, these are societal changes.
    Some good points. I have observed people stopping on the oncoming side of a two lane road facing the traffic, to get their mail out of a mail box. Rather than turning into their driveway and walking across the road to get it. Handicapped? Maybe. But more than likely they just rather not get out of their automobile and walk to the mail box.

In simple terms, as you noted, the number of calories we consume, versus the amount we burn from our activities, if it represents a higher number, we will gain weight. But hormonal causes do exist. But those are very rare.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    Not everybody can blame genetics and problems with their metabolism.

I eat fast food like 4-5 times a week, and on top of that lots of snacks and soda, basically I never think about what I put in my mouth, and I'm not even slightly overweight (77 kilos on 179 cm). I'm also 31 so I've reached the age where the metabolism "apparantely slows down".

Do people constantly have their hands in a bag of crisps, or a spoonful of icecream, or what?

I just don't understand how people can let themselves become so big when I'm such a lazy fuck, who don't even go to the gym, who manage to stay healthy.
    In before someone mentions that my insides probably are rotten to the core. Nope, had my biyearly health exam last month and all of my tests came out perfect.
    Hey OP, I checked out your BMI based off your height and weight.

You're borderline overweight based off your BMI so when you say "overweight" I think you mean "obese". Obesity is not always the same as overweight.

Eating fast food doesn't make you obese. Eating an excess of calories makes you obese. You can eat McDonalds everyday and not become obese.

Even if you sit on your ass all day long and eat flaming hot Cheetos and honey buns. If you aren't consuming an excess amount of calories, you will not become obese.
    Last edited by Poe; 2019-06-20 at 11:00 PM.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Quote Originally Posted by The Knight View Post
    Competing theories were that she was some sort of alien with a hyperactive metabolism
    I have a coworker like that. Should I get suspicious?