Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by City Pop View Post
    I thought mana management added more depth to pvp. In PvE it just created conserve phases, which was a skill to be good at but not very fun.
    that's the problem, if i wanted combo point system i'd play rogue not paladin, same goes for every class
    druid moonkin had unique resource system of lunar/solar in wrath that they f8cked completely and made it another rogue-like, in fact the 'complicated' new system is combo point for every dps, which is easier when u don't even need to check energy just wait cds
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    It wasn't fun being the mana battery as a shadow priest, knowing that you were brought along just for that one feature and not because you were actually awesome. Any shadowpriest would do and you just happened to be there at the right time.
    It wasn't fun casting Innervate on that one DPS that constantly didn't know how to manage their own mana and yelled INNERVATE ME PLX I NEEDZ MANA!!! Usually Innervate would be nice to save for when the healers needed to keep us alive, but noooo, use it on the crappy DPS, of course, no problem.

THE IDEA is good. But the implementation will not be good. There was a time for that kind of gameplay and that time was years ago. You can enjoy a little bit of that gameplay in Classic, but I do not and will not ever miss it.
    Ha, I liked the shadow priest role as a mana battery :P Felt special. I also got some very nice dps loot which no healer would get. Was a blast in PvP when mindblast crited for over 500! Woooooooop!
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Mana management - yes.

Sad class mechanics where you run oom and need to pick your nose until you get any means to regain it so you can continue playing - no.

At the moment DPS classes are dull, can't do anything but press 2-4 buttons that do X damage, so I am open to anything that may break the brain polishing monotony and may bring any RPG strategy and involvement.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope. If casters have to do nothing half of the fight (Except wanding), they wouldn't be very welcome in groups. Unless wands will do significant damage and can have all kinds of procs.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    It wasn't fun being the mana battery as a shadow priest, knowing that you were brought along just for that one feature and not because you were actually awesome. Any shadowpriest would do and you just happened to be there at the right time.
    Yet anotherrrrr random who thinks they know what's fun for everyone.

By far my most enjoyable time in WoW was TBC Shadow Priest actually. And not just "any shadowpriest would do" - as your DPS directly translated into your mana returned, it was in everyone's best interests for you to actually do good DPS. And on many fights, Illidan included, Shadow was EXTREMELY powerful.

As for mana on other DPS classes? Meh, take it or leave it. I don't like that they replaced it with nothing (no, I don't count the current random resource/focus bars as replacement for mana). I just liked that it was something other than hitting the same old rotation over and over and not standing in a fire. You had threat to monitor, mana to monitor, in addition to the regular. Now you just have the rotation and not standing in fire to worry about.

But mana itself didn't feel amazing on DPS, in my opinion. So I don't see any particular reason to bring it back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. They tried this with Warlocks in Legion and it was not well received.

IMO unique secondary resources add flavour to classes, where as lazy "let's just slap mana everywhere" is just a remnant of the past that should stay that way.

For DPS? No. All the DPS have other resources now and having to resort to wanding because of running out of mana is not interesting, it's boring.
    For healers? Yes. Managing mana should be a core part of playing a healer.

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    Resource management can be an interesting for a support class. For a DPS class it was always meh, with cool-down management a much better fit to factor in a strategic decision play. Being able to 'do stuff' and selectively apply a power spike in dps is just more fun than having to constantly restrain while still slowly but surely feeling the power being leached from you. And then we didn't even mention that other 'energy' based specs, or specs that get masses of 'white damage' basically for free are still out there making the mana vs non-mana user balancing act even more precious.

For dps, I'd say resource starvation was an idea that was tried for a few years and found wanting. You think you do, but you don't.
    That is exactly the issue. It's not like Warriors or rogues (and hunters today as well) would get fatigue. Either you hobble all mana based DPS specs with such a change or you need to gut the non-mana based ones to not outshine the mana ones, at least as a first approximation of balance. Blizzard is already incapable of making the encounters properly for a good balance between range and melee (without resorting to the same old tired gimmiks time and time again). Then we have the constant failures of dot/multitarget scaling issues. Adding another layer that punishes DPS to twiddle their tumbs for large stretches of time in 10-15 minute fights is surely a recipe for "success".

No they should not. It's not really a very fun resource system. There is a reason why rogues and warriors kept theres and mana was removed. It workes for arcane mages but they have a very unique way of getting it back and we can't have all classes being just like arcane.

There are a few classes that need remakes but their resource systems are not to blame for them being a little boring to play.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    Mana management - yes.

Sad class mechanics where you run oom and need to pick your nose until you get any means to regain it so you can continue playing - no.

At the moment DPS classes are dull, can't do anything but press 2-4 buttons that do X damage, so I am open to anything that may break the brain polishing monotony and may bring any RPG strategy and involvement.
    This makes no sense what so ever.

No ty. No need for it.

Quote Originally Posted by VodkaBlyat View Post
    Ressource management as DPS and TANK is a lore's illusion, well actually management of anything is actually an illusion, its too hard for donkeys to focus on what to do while fighting.. making them manage absolutly nothing but doing enormous numbers make them stronger, now warcraftlog is a real competition a real challenge.
    During Tov days our drood tank deliberately took a big hit at odyn to rank in healing on wowlogs and got flamed hard by rl
    Back on topic, i think adding mana back would be a good thing for the game, mana management (with mana pool scaling with int or [insert new stat]) should be a thing for casters, maybe not so harsh as it was in vanilla but still...
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

I agree with the idea.
    I know they made the change because technically is not fun to not be able to go "all out" as a DPS and have to use your wand or not to use your most expensive/damaging spell whenever you wanted, but this created depth. It created choices and you had to actually think about either you should or not spend your mana depending on your situation. This is the same reason they took away threat managing - for people to be able to play their class without any restrictions.
    But these restrictions brought complexity and brought choices - do you want to be the idiot who overaggros? If no one does that it will create a much better sense of community. You'll enjoy your group more if they're good, because everyone respects the same rules. Same goes with feeling helpful when you give mana to other players - they will enjoy playing with you - and you'll enjoy them back.

Although I'd say "bring mana and threat managing back" I sincerely doubt it will happen because, unfortunately, modern WoW tends to evolve into a more Action focused game rather then a real RPG.

As a Shaman player, no managing mana. I dont want to go back to looking for gear with MP5 since spirit didnt mean crap for Shaman back then. I do not want to go from current resource back to mana and have my abilities hit like a wet noodle with insane mana cost. Reverting back to Mana Management would cause more problems than what Blizzard currently has with class balance. Lets not forget Mana classes in PVP just standing there waiting for players to kill them because they been mana burn, drain, etc. to death.

If you care for mana management and like to watch dps classes either wand or auto-attack while waiting for mana. Classic is 2 months away.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mana should pretty much only ever matter to Healers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    Mana management - yes.

Have you tried choosing Talents that give you an extra button to press instead of just choosing all the passive ones?

well, now a days i think most people arn't that stupid to actually waste inervate on a dps

Having to drink every few pulls was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by americandavey View Post
    As a Shaman player, no managing mana. I dont want to go back to looking for gear with MP5 since spirit didnt mean crap for Shaman back then. I do not want to go from current resource back to mana and have my abilities hit like a wet noodle with insane mana cost. Reverting back to Mana Management would cause more problems than what Blizzard currently has with class balance. Lets not forget Mana classes in PVP just standing there waiting for players to kill them because they been mana burn, drain, etc. to death.

If you care for mana management and like to watch dps classes either wand or auto-attack while waiting for mana. Classic is 2 months away.
    It's funny how you mention Shaman as an argument against it. I think the current Maelstorm Shaman is the most boring shit I have ever played in my life. This whole spam shitty Lava Bursts until you have enough "Maelstorm" to click the unsatisfying Earthquake or Earth Shock. Possibly the most terrible and boring rotation I have played in the game, ever. The current Lava Burst and Chain Lightning spells is just bringing shame to the designers compared to how they used to work when it was in WotLK as these really fun and satisfying spells.

Or how about the Enahancement Shaman where all you do is look at SS lighting up all the time and spamming it. Very fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Mana should pretty much only ever matter to Healers.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried choosing Talents that give you an extra button to press instead of just choosing all the passive ones?
    I tried, it's still same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    This makes no sense what so ever.
    Of course it does. In TBC, Enhance had proper mana management and if you did it right, you never needed to pick your nose. Well, if you did it wrong, than you were in trouble. As it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    I tried, it's still same.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course it does. In TBC, Enhance had proper mana management and if you did it right, you never needed to pick your nose. Well, if you did it wrong, than you were in trouble. As it should be.
    And it was boring as heck. No thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    This has lead to a bunch of spells being so horrible in PvP that they got removed. Spells I thought were really fun and interesting. Spells like Drain Mana, Mana Burn, Mana Tap and Viper Sting.
    In what twisted world do you live in where any of those spells were considered fun?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..