10+ Year Old Account

72 Philadelphia LEOs on desk duty for misconduct

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross says 72 police officers have been placed on administrative duty as an investigation continues into controversial social media posts allegedly made by officers.

The investigation began after the group, the Plain View Project, compiled racist and offensive comments on social media apparently posted by hundreds of police officers across the country, including in Philadelphia.

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross says 72 police officers have been placed on administrative duty as an investigation continues into controversial social media posts allegedly made by officers.

The investigation began after the group, the Plain View Project, compiled racist and offensive comments on social media apparently posted by hundreds of police officers across the country, including in Philadelphia.

Earlier this month, Ross said the department is "cognizant of the First Amendment implications." However, he said it appears some comments are not protected by the First Amendment.
    Ross says an independent law firm continues to assist in the investigation.

The scandal has prompted protests from the public, organized by Solomon Jones, with Rally for Justice, who met with the commissioner and mayor Wednesday.

"We don't want people on the street who have professed hate for the people that we love," said Jones.

John McNesby, FOP Lodge #5 president released this statement following Wednesday's press conference:

"It's premature and irresponsible for the Commissioner to tell the public that police officers will be fired without a complete investigation into officers' social media use," said FOP Lodge#5 President John McNesby. "Our officers are entitled to due process just like any other citizen. FOP attorneys and leadership have been working around-the-clock protecting our members rights under the contract and free-speech. We will support and represent those officers during this overly-broad social-media investigation. Far too many officers have been taken off the street during a time of increased violence in our city. Also, it's important for the public to understand that the vast majority of our officers serve the residents of Philadelphia with integrity and professionalism."

District Attorney Larry Krasner said his office is reviewing the database and may not call certain officers to testify during trial if evidence of bias is found.
    https://6abc.com/72-philly-officers-...posts/5353601/

Ensuring your officers are professional, holding them accountable when they are out of line, is how you clean up law enforcement and gain cooperation with the locals.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    The screaming about due process and free speech from the Lodge President is cute. EEO Violations (even if they're not actually employed by the department) are considered policy union or not -- it's one of the few things that can get you fired without an arbitration hearing. Also losing your job isn't the government punishing you. It's you breaking the rules.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    https://6abc.com/72-philly-officers-...posts/5353601/

Ensuring your officers are professional, holding them accountable when they are out of line, is how you clean up law enforcement and gain cooperation with the locals.
    Some of the "problematic" posts in that database are a fucking joke others are kinda scary and should not even be the same database as the others.
    Last edited by Firatha; 2019-06-20 at 02:25 AM.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Disgusting behavior but they'll likely get off with a warning. Free speech is protected, but it should not mean that there are no consequences to making derogatory comments. One article I read said that it looks like not all posts will fall under free speech protection, meaning that one or more officers made actual threats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Some of the "problematic" posts in that database are a fucking joke others are kinda scary and should not even be the same database as the others.
    Indeed, some of them are memes... Some of them are just news articles posted without any comments even.

Reminds me of this shit a couple years ago:

Most of them were dumb memes, shared news articles and people wishing death on cop killers, rapists, murderers etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nymphetsss View Post
    Most of them were dumb memes, shared news articles and people wishing death on cop killers, rapists, murderers etc
    Misconduct in the form of memes is still misconduct. A number of 'news articles' are fake or propaganda. The major concerns are a number of comments from the officers.

Misconduct in the form of memes is still misconduct. A number of 'news articles' are fake or propaganda. The major concerns are a number of comments from the officers.
    Is it though?

You seem hell bent to try and make people not people... MMO champ reminds me of a video I watched of protesters blocking off traffic screaming "fuck the police" only to piss off a driver enough that he plowed through them. Know what they chanted two seconds later?

"SOMEONE CALL THE POLICE!!!"

I think people have to stop pretending they are outraged it grows tiresome.

15+ Year Old Account
    Surely there's some code of ethics in that job, so it wouldn't matter if it was illegal speech or not?

Police shouldn't be outspoken against any group for any reason, even if it's a totally legit view as a private person. You're representing police, you have to appear neutral and unbiased.

As someone who has known a lot of officers, this kind of talk is quite common. It's rather depressing to see how many people will try and justify racism and corruption by law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I mean some of them call for the death of all muslims. That's hate speech.
    They should have called for the death of all whites, then it would have been okay.

Infracted for trolling.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2019-06-20 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    They should have called for the death of all whites, then it would have been okay.
    That cross sure does look heavy.

Young men talking trash to each other.

All this could've been prevented if the chief stuck his head out his door and yell, "cut the ****! If I have to come out there, I'm going to stomp a mud hole in all your *****!'

Problem solved.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

You seem to be projecting a victim mentality that is not actually based on reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Young men talking trash to each other.

All this could've been prevented if the chief stuck his head out his door and yell, "cut the ****! If I have to come out there, I'm going to stomp a mud hole in all your *****!'

Problem solved.
    That's a ridiculous comment, considering they are often doing it on social media, and during off hours.

I know, the whites are always being persecuted so hard as a minority group...

I mean look at how they are trying to suppress the white vote!

It's not like they are the majority and control most of the government and businesses!
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2019-06-20 at 02:53 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If they were sharing the same exact shit with muslim interchanged with white, they would have been labeled domestic terrorists and jailed, not placed on desk duty.

I'd say Philadelphia would be a bad spot to be in to get caught out on this sort of thing. But the DA is seen as fairly lame on crime, and this isn't going to help him any.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    Is it though?

You seem hell bent to try and make people not people... MMO champ reminds me of a video I watched of protesters blocking off traffic screaming "fuck the police" only to piss off a driver enough that he plowed through them. Know what they chanted two seconds later?

"SOMEONE CALL THE POLICE!!!"

I think people have to stop pretending they are outraged it grows tiresome.
    Make people not people? What does that even mean?

Make people not people? What does that even mean?
    It is the concept that people are inherently flawed and damaged and that people such as yourself are unable to even notice when they rise above it in order to protect your absurd and idealistic view of how the world should be.

It isn't a uncommon expression. You want law enforcement to be blank slates and that will never be a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    It is the concept that people are inherently flawed and damaged and that people such as yourself are unable to even notice when they rise above it in order to protect your absurd and idealistic view of how the world should be.

It isn't a uncommon expression. You want law enforcement to be blank slates and that will never be a thing.
    ?? Really not sure how you could come to that conclusion??