Poll: Should WoW have a WoW 2 1.x?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    It's a topic that obviously bothers you. Let some others have room.
    yeah you didn't answer his question. at all. in what way would a fresh wow 2 be any different to wow classic?

Cutting ties to players collections and achievements is the definitive way to kill wow for good, this is why there will never be a wow2, why do people not get this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinytalon View Post
    Also if they shut down WoW and made WoW 2, what would happen to the years of effort people put into their mounts? How about the money some people spent on their TCG stuff? Those haven't been cheap for quite a lot of years due to being discontinued so many years ago. Oh wait, I forgot. It's not your problem since you don't enjoy those things, so it's "fine".
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Cutting ties to players collections and achievements is the definitive way to kill wow for good, this is why there will never be a wow2, why do people not get this?
    It's not a problem unless you're under the delusion that WoW is an investment or that you paid for something with perpetual value. You're not actually collecting anything. You're only being allowed access to data that is and always will be owned by Blizzard, and it can be taken away at any time for whatever reason.

If you put in "effort" or money into acquiring something in the game and it wasn't because it was fun at that moment, then you apparently forgot that you were PLAYING a GAME. It's only value is in trading time for fun, not for pixels. I spent the better part of 14 years enjoying unlocking mounts, gear, titles, etc. but since I realized (eventually) that none of it had any actual worth there was no feeling of loss when I decided to quit.

I wonder if there's anything else that develops this weird mentality in people. This strange fear of losing something that has no worth and doesn't even really belong to them.

If Blizzard made a WoW 2 (and no, I don't think they ever will), that would just be a whole new opportunity for people like yourself to "collect" more essentially worthless pixels. Don't see why you'd have a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    It's not a problem unless you're under the delusion that WoW is an investment or that you paid for something with perpetual value. You're not actually collecting anything. You're only being allowed access to data that is and always will be owned by Blizzard, and it can be taken away at any time for whatever reason.

If you put in "effort" or money into acquiring something in the game and it wasn't because it was fun at that moment, then you apparently forgot that you were PLAYING a GAME. It's only value is in trading time for fun, not for pixels. I spent the better part of 14 years enjoying unlocking mounts, gear, titles, etc. but since I realized (eventually) that none of it had any actual worth there was no feeling of loss when I decided to quit.

I wonder if there's anything else that develops this weird mentality in people. This strange fear of losing something that has no worth and doesn't even really belong to them.

If Blizzard made a WoW 2 (and no, I don't think they ever will), that would just be a whole new opportunity for people like yourself to "collect" more essentially worthless pixels. Don't see why you'd have a problem with that.
    I think the point is, no one thinks of wow as an investment (unless they have some real problems) Like you, collectors accept that the things they have collected will eventually be gone when the game is shutdown and it only matters if you have fun while collecting.

That does not mean that someone that has spent 15 years collecting things in wow will happily accept losing all that because Blizzard shuts down the game in order to move the population to their new game.

It would be like an expansion where they wiped all achievements, mounts, pets, tmog and even characters, forcing everyone to start over.
    Last edited by Nergal; 2019-06-20 at 08:59 AM.

how will my 15 years of character development and collection carry over ? no interrest what so ever to just leave that behind and start over

Quote Originally Posted by Nergal View Post
    I think the point is, no one thinks of wow as an investment (unless they have some real problems) Like you, collectors accept that the things they have collected will eventually be gone when the game is shutdown and it only matters if you have fun while collecting.

That does not mean that someone that has spent 15 years collecting things in wow will happily accept losing all that because Blizzard shuts down the game in order to
    move the population to their new game. It would be like an expansion where they wiped all achievements, mounts, pets, tmog and even characters, forcing everyone to
    start over.
    I can understand someone who would be upset because a game they enjoyed playing was shut down. That is a perfectly reasonable feeling to have.

I'm addressing just those players who feel like they would be losing "things", which would kind of suggest that they thought their time was an investment. The idea that they put in time to receive something with tangible value.

An expansion wipe like you compare it to would be silly simply because of the apparent expectation that people redo all the same activities for the same rewards. Expansions are meant to build on the original game. A new game would (presumably) offer new activities and new rewards that would have nothing to do with whatever you did in the old game.

Guess I have to vote other because of shitty biased poll options. The answer is "No, because it isn't economically viable and that has been proven time and time again".

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Guess I have to vote other because of shitty biased poll options. The answer is "No, because it isn't economically viable and that has been proven time and time again".
    That is not even remotely true. There is a point where wow would not give enough revenue to be justified and it will come sooner than you think. Simply because it is old.
    Number of active accounts will keep dropping no matter what blizzard do. My guess it will be BfA + one more expansion and that's it.

The only choice blizzard would have would be to either shut it down and focus on other games OR create new wow version.

If they decide to make successor, the question is, how much (if any) of current things we will keep.

10+ Year Old Account
    So your asking for another band to sing a song you used to love.

Yes, I'm sure it will be just as original.

Next you'll probably start going on about the "engine" and how wow suffers because of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    If they scrap the story of WoW 1 and hire some new writers then I’m all aboard that train, even if I lose my collections.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post

Time is the ultimate investment. It is the number 1 reason Blizzard will not do a WoW 2. There is no delusion that it is an investment because it is. People have grown attached to their characters, the game, the friends they have met and play with. The moment WoW 2 is released and all of that will not carry over, many of those people will not follow. Just ask the beast that was EQ what happened in Nov of 2004. EQ2 was a giant flop due to players losing everything they had earned in the first game.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Because all the people who play for epeen... you know, the ones who live for other peoples opinions..
    they wouldn't want to give up their mounts and titles and such.
    So it would be a total shit show, unless they carried those over to the second game.

Personally, i'd love it.
    But as long as its not Ion in charge
    Or whoever it is that loves to tell me when to play, what to play, and how much to play it.

No factions, FFA PvP, bounties.
    Randomly generated maps and world bosses. Platform puzzles.
    Challenging 5-mans and 10-mans with a set number of difficulties (like 3-4. with the last one being extremelly difficult)
    Best gear made through crafting. But best mats for said gear availiable only from the hardest content.
    No flying. No portals. No FLG.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2019-06-20 at 06:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    It looks like you have rose-tinted glasses and calling your opinions facts.

Game was better because it was new and there was a lot of content. However gameplay was not even close to being good. Everyone who played in vanilla can confirm how clunky it was.

No, people in MoP left after there was nothing to do. Like most of my guild got to check out other games. Like we do all the time when we clear raid. Like we do every content patch. Once its done, we play something else until next patch.
    It is 100% fact that WoW's numbers and general feedback was much more positive, or at least much less negative than current. It's also fact that even after over a years worth of content drought in MoP, it still had better feedback than current. The majority can't stand BfA. And you restated exactly what I had already said - people left MoP because there was nothing to do...the content couldn't keep them playing, however, the game play kept more people playing then than now. Simple facts. Check the numbers and go the forums once in a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    No factions, FFA PvP, bounties.
    Randomly generated maps and world bosses. Platform puzzles.
    Challenging 5-mans and 10-mans with a set number of difficulties (like 3-4. with the last one being extremelly difficult)
    Best gear made through crafting. But best mats for said gear availiable only from the hardest content.
    No flying. No portals. No FLG.
    Yeah that sounds like a truly AWEFUL game.

I'd rather have Ion tell you what and how to play.

I don't get this "WoW 2" idea people have. WoW 2 would just follow on from current WoW. It'd have the same lore, same devs, same characters, what would be different? What problem would it solve? It would just be a glorified expansion minus any character progression people have made. Which again would solve what? Someone else clearing mythic raids and collecting every mount/pet/transmog set etc. doesn't change my experience of playing. So everyone starting fresh wouldn't make any difference either.

The only upgrade would possibly be some engine and tech upgrades that can't be done by the current engine. Other than that, everything else would be the same. The only possible advantage I can think of is that they could time jump the story but again, everything else (boss mechanics, quests, achievements, dungeon, raids) would all still be the same just with a new coat of paint.

So what exactly would be the point of WoW 2 over just making another expansion?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    In a world where Blizz actually cared about the game first and profit second, this would have already happened.

However, we do not live in that world. Blizz is a large corporation. What matters is profit first and the quality of the game second. If they can shovel out pure garbage and make large margins long-term, they will happily do that.

As it is, they are riding a balance. A completely quick cash grab usually annoys their customer base too much, and they will lose out within their long-term outlook time frame (roughly 2 years). So, the approach is to kick out games that only take moderate effort, but look and play fairly polished instead. This reduces their cost dramatically, while pulling in a lot of money.

So when we look at what has released since WoW first launched we find mostly greed.

This is why they release SC 2 still using ramps / tiers when 3D terrain has been used since SC 1 (i.e. done as lazy as they could for a new game), and split into 3 release from the get go (profits). Diablo III is mostly the same as DII (so fairly lazy), and really pushed RMT (profits).

Hearthstone was a knockoff of popular card games with a big emphasis on micro-transactions...same for HotS and Overwatch. Only moderate effort with large profit margins. Diablo Immortal is already known to be a reskin of an existing game with a few tweaks...i.e. spending even less to achieve even higher margins with micro-transactions.

What all this means is that Blizz has no interest in undertaking a major effort / risk associated with a new WoW 2.0 (or whatever other IP they might try). Despite all the claims of "look at all the cool things the latest WoW expansion has", when you actually stop and look at what was really produced, it was mostly on the cheap (Legion was the exception to the rule where they put more effort in than they did with WoD or BfA).

If you really want to look for something better, it is time for you to look for the next Blizzard who is actually hungry and wanting to put out a great game. You are going to have to shed your comforting bias about trying to compare it to WoW because you'll always find an excuse as to why you don't want to truly give another game a real try.

I think the premise of the OP is spot on.

The game SHOULD have a rest every few expansions... for instance... at the end of BfA, there could be an unavoidable cataclysmic event that destroys Azeroth.

Khadgar, Jana, and Thrall work together to construct a new portal called the "Portal of Hope" that whisks the traveler to a completely brand new world. Problem is... the portal cannot transport anything but the character dressed in special "level 1 gear" that can survive the teleportation.

So bascially you teleport to a whole new world as a level 1, and begin leveling all over again. You are broke, have nothing but base talents, and no mounts. Not even Azeroth mounts.

BUT, this time they change the game back towards earlier WoW design principles. It would open up whoel new lore opportunities.. new characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    WoW has simply become a "collection" game these days, and it isn't very fun.
    Exactly. That's why I hate retail.

can you clarify why you added " I hate being asked questions" as an answer in your poll? how will it help in your research?
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

Quote Originally Posted by quite an expert in wow View Post
    can you clarify why you added " I hate being asked questions" as an answer in your poll? how will it help in your research?
    Same reasons as why there’s not a simple ‘no’ in the poll. Bias.