Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mobs ripping them apart, piece to piece.

Every rich mans nightmare.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    Oh it's all legal because rich people make the laws, can't break the law if you're the one making the laws.

I mean this website is mostly dedicated to WoW right? which is ran by blizzard, who apparently is located in an empty basement in the Netherlands so it pays no tax in the USA, this is all legal of course.....but is this fair that it is legal?
    Don't bother.

It's Ghostpanther.

He has a point, its always leaning towards the right though. No empathy from this guy, all of it is spent on his armory.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    We are human, one is allowed to pass judgment on what one does with their money and their life. That is what a social animal does, we are ultimately a group species.

In the past, the wealthy had a direct connection to the people "beneath them" and even legal obligations to those people. Their wealth and power were intrinsically tied to those people beneath them and their continued support and backing was critical to their power.

A wealthy person who needs nobody is perhaps the most dangerous thing on this planet.
    Well, I do not pass judgement when it comes to a person's wealth ( or a lot of other things ), unless they are some criminal king pin. Then I will say, they are crooks and should be arrested and sent to prison.

This is true. The rich generally got their wealth from hiring people to do their required work/services. But so what? The people are hired to do a service, they are being compensated.

If a billionaire wants to retire to a island and close out his company, live a life of isolation, that is their choice. Most do not however and depend on a lot of other people to maintain their wealth status.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    When politicians are and wealthy people do influence with money. Then therein lies the problem, especially when the poor could really use it. Granted it is needy to be asking for handouts but, the value of a dollar is worth far more for a poor person than a wealthy person. When that problem in politics is created because of wealthy people which is essentially "Bribery", the that is when an electorate need to be the voice of reason and allow for some change in law increasing taxes, corporate welfare decline, some imposition that gives back from all that money. No one should have that much money.

- - - Updated - - -

In fact, I would go as far to say, "From humble beginnings should result in humble ends". Meaning, when a person starts out in life they should always strive to help others along the way. Help people pick up each other by their bootstraps. Give society some help...
    Of course. But this is nothing new. We can have certain laws to help reduce that. But you will never get rid of it.

It would be the commendable thing to do for sure. And those who do it after obtaining thier wealth, should be noted and commended. But it is not my choice for them to do so. It is theirs.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Bezos wife left him and took half his money.

Is he still worth more than $100 million?

Bill Gates says he's giving away all of his money, leaving just a paltry $100 million to each kid.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh it's all legal because rich people make the laws, can't break the law if you're the one making the laws.

I mean this website is mostly dedicated to WoW right? which is ran by blizzard, who apparently is located in an empty basement in the Netherlands so it pays no tax in the USA, this is all legal of course.....but is this fair that it is legal?
    That is something which should be brought up to your representatives. In the US, congress makes the laws for the federal level and each state has their own state level legislation. Which is why it is so important to get out and vote.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post

Bill Gates says he's giving away all of his money, leaving just a paltry $100 million to each kid.
    No she didn't. She will get her stock options from the company "Amazon" which is what she's had for years which is close to 40 billion which is hers alone no strings attached. Also, probably alimony so maybe a few more billion. All in all she's stated already and signed the pledge to the Gates foundation to give 90% of her fortune to.

I'd say she'll probably get 40-42 billion before taxes that is if she cashes out her stock which I wouldn't for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That is something which should be brought up to your representatives. In the US, congress makes the laws for the federal level and each state has their own state level legislation. Which is why it is so important to get out and vote.
    I'm not living the US but are you actually saying a company like blizzard should legally be allowed to earn billions and pay no taxes? i believe someone made a thread where they actually got a tax rebate.

I mean the small guy should pay taxes but billion dollar companies should legally pay none because they run from an empty basement? what a joke.

I'm not living the US but are you actually saying a company like blizzard should legally be allowed to earn billions and pay no taxes? i believe someone made a thread where they actually got a tax rebate.

I mean the small guy should pay taxes but billion dollar companies should legally pay none because they run from an empty basement? what a joke.

You hear this a lot. A corporation is taxed 3 times.

Say you're a plumber and you've done really well for yourself. You have 2 dozen employees and 8 trucks. You start thinking about incorporating because you're worried about getting sued. So you incorporate. Now if someone sues, it's not on you, it's on the corporation.

But if your corporation's stocks make money and you make money, you have to pay tax.

You now have to pay income tax just like all employees. You're employed by your corporation.

The corporation itself has pay income tax.

So a corporation is taxed a lot more. So even if you hear Blizzard paid zero income tax, all the employees at Blizzard paid tax and if Blizzard stock went up and a shareholder sold it, he'd have to pay tax on any profit.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium

Damn, that's gotta be the world's most successful gold-digger.

Also, a "paltry" hundred million, huh? So, enough to live off of for the rest of their lives in comfort and luxury, for them and possibly future generations, assuming they invest it?

- - - Updated - - -

You hear this a lot. A corporation is taxed 3 times.

Say you're a plumber and you've done really well for yourself. You have 2 dozen employees and 8 trucks. You start thinking about incorporating because you're worried about getting sued. So you incorporate. Now if someone sues, it's not on you, it's on the corporation.

But if your corporation's stocks make money and you make money, you have to pay tax.

You now have to pay income tax just like all employees. You're employed by your corporation.

The corporation itself has pay income tax.

So a corporation is taxed a lot more. So even if you hear Blizzard paid zero income tax, all the employees at Blizzard paid tax and if Blizzard stock went up and a shareholder sold it, he'd have to pay tax on any profit.
    And Acti-Blizz paying nothing in taxes and getting government kickbacks instead, how about that? Not sure how you can justify these incredibly profitable corporations actually GETTING MONEY from tax-payers when they can absolutely afford to pay their fair share.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't. What they do with their money, as long as it is legal, is none of my business. That is a private decision. Not mine. And politicians have for thousands of years, been supported and influenced by the wealthy. That is not going to change in this world.
    If the money didn't come from society I'd agree, but that wealth is gained at the cost of regular people. Tax avoidance, getting laws in place that allows them to pay less to workers, preventing laws to ensure their products are safe/humane, using monopolies to crush competition making consumers lose out while lobbying to make sure they're allowed to do so, using loopholes to drastically reduce job security or working conditions, exploiting poorer countries. The list goes on and on, it's a massive exploitation of society without paying a fair share back.

Hell, seemingly innocent corporations like fruit suppliers have used mercenaries to execute people in poorer countries, just to prevent unionizing. Oil companies use mercenaries to murder civilians to ensure continued exploitation of poor countries.

I know you said "as long as it is legal", but the problem is that
    1) They use their power to make things legal that shouldn't be (if the public was your priority).
    2) even despite 1, they break laws on massive scales everywhere that can't afford to go after them for it.

No one has 100 billion gained through legal and moral means.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Can we eat the rich now?

I'm waiting.

Also, I was like -Who the fuck under the age 70 drinks cognac? The Chinese...ofc.

Furthermore, I thought it was impossible to make money in France with its sky high taxes. At least that's what I've been told by GOP.
    Why don't you stop talking and go take it? You can't use guns because you hate those.... but um, good luck finding a way?

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Damn, that's gotta be the world's most successful gold-digger.
    I know that's probably a joke, but she married him before Amazon was ever incorporated.

Also, probably alimony so maybe a few more billion.
    His ex-wife getting any form of alimony would be the biggest travesty of justice since Dred Scott.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    I know that's probably a joke, but she married him before Amazon was ever incorporated.

His ex-wife getting any form of alimony would be the biggest travesty of justice since Dred Scott.
    It was a joke, yes.

I wouldn't. What they do with their money, as long as it is legal, is none of my business. That is a private decision. Not mine. And politicians have for thousands of years, been supported and influenced by the wealthy. That is not going to change in this world.
    At some point how you spend money is not just a private decision because it impacts the socio-economic livelihoods of hundreds of millions of people.

Wealth allows one to exert influence over other people, by any reasonable definition, freedom cannot exist where one person is able to exert unmitigated and unchecked influence over millions of others.

10+ Year Old Account

No. That is not what I am saying. They should pay taxes. In any case where it happens they do not, then the tax system is at fault. Not because they have a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Quick off with their heads and redistribute the wealth! We could fix the global warming , cure cancer and eliminate poverty with all that money!
    They should be reinvesting into infrastructure and education to create better more efficient and happier workforce, we know the gov ain't going to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    If the money didn't come from society I'd agree, but that wealth is gained at the cost of regular people. Tax avoidance, getting laws in place that allows them to pay less to workers, preventing laws to ensure their products are safe/humane, using monopolies to crush competition making consumers lose out while lobbying to make sure they're allowed to do so, using loopholes to drastically reduce job security or working conditions, exploiting poorer countries. The list goes on and on, it's a massive exploitation of society without paying a fair share back.

Hell, seemingly innocent corporations like fruit suppliers have used mercenaries to execute people in poorer countries, just to prevent unionizing. Oil companies use mercenaries to murder civilians to ensure continued exploitation of poor countries.

I know you said "as long as it is legal", but the problem is that
    1) They use their power to make things legal that shouldn't be (if the public was your priority).
    2) even despite 1, they break laws on massive scales everywhere that can't afford to go after them for it.

No one has 100 billion gained through legal and moral means.
    At what cost? If the laws are not made to protect the workers, such as min wages set and the number of hours worked, etc, then yes, they can be made at the cost of the workers. Which is why the laws to protect workers is important.

Tax avoidance? Then that is the fault of the law makers. Who in a democratic society, are voted in by the people. Kind of reeks of lack of real concern, if the voter turnout is very low. And if the majority are content with their law makers, then there is not much a individual can do, but vote when they can. The fault is not the rich person.

Are you saying those who earned the 100 billion , all of them earned it illegally or in immoral ways? Going to have to prove that to convince me. And what are good morals will vary among people, depending on their own convictions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    At some point how you spend money is not just a private decision because it impacts the socio-economic livelihoods of hundreds of millions of people.

Wealth allows one to exert influence over other people, by any reasonable definition, freedom cannot exist where one person is able to exert unmitigated and unchecked influence over millions of others.
    Which is why the laws we make are important. Freedoms have to exist also for the rich.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-06-20 at 04:19 PM.

At what cost? If the laws are not made to protect the workers, such as min wages set and the number of hours worked, etc, then yes, they can be made at the cost of the workers. Which is why the laws to protect workers is important.

Tax avoidance? Then that is the fault of the law makers. Who in a democratic society, are voted in by the people. Kind of reeks of lack of real concern, if the voter turnout is very low. And if the majority are content with their law makers, then there is not much a individual can do, but vote when they can. The fault is not the rich person.

Are you saying those who earned the 100 billion , all of them earned it illegally or in immoral ways? Going to have to prove that to convince me. And what are good morals will vary among people, depending on their own convictions.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is why the laws we make are important. Freedoms have to exist also for the rich.
    Take a look at the corporate tax rates, estate taxes, etc. they're EXTREMELY LOW or ZERO.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Take a look at the corporate tax rates, estate taxes, etc. they're EXTREMELY LOW or ZERO.

If I had 100 billion I would be making concerted efforts to donate and manage many many small programs around the country and globe for poorer communities. I would definitely be spending a lot of it on the welfare of the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    Corporate tax rates, estate taxes, etc, are separate from individual income tax rates. But then again, those are set by the law makers. Blame them, not the rich guy. If a reduction, loop hole or such exists for them to pay less taxes, not their fault if they use them to pay less taxes. I would. Hell I bet most on here would if they were faced with that choice. Who wants to pay more taxes than they have to when faced with the option not to?

If I had 100 billion I would be making concerted efforts to donate and manage many many small programs around the country and globe for poorer communities. I would definitely be spending a lot of it on the welfare of the world. - Galactis

And that would be your choice and a commendable one at that.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-06-20 at 04:31 PM.

Corporate tax rates, estate taxes, etc, are separate from individual income tax rates. But then again, those are set by the law makers. Blame them, not the rich guy. If a reduction, loop hole or such exists for them to pay less taxes, not their fault if they use them to pay less taxes. I would. Hell I bet most on here would if they were faced with that choice. Who wants to pay more taxes than they have to when faced with the option not to?

If I had 100 billion I would be making concerted efforts to donate and manage many many small programs around the country and globe for poorer communities. I would definitely be spending a lot of it on the welfare of the world. - Galactis

And that would be your choice and a commendable one at that.
    Why do you think the taxes are that low or why loop holes exist? Who do you think funds the special interest groups?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    Why do you think the taxes are that low or why loop holes exist? Who do you think funds the special interest groups?
    Indeed friend, indeed. People with billions and billions and billions of dollars. It's like getting to a point having so much money one can essentially not wastefully spend it all. Like, that person just gets things and doesn't even think of money. It just happens. Get a car ok... Get a sandwich ok....Just get things and they just appear...