Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    She took over for Tony as he was "occupied" with his life and was nowhere seen before. Point 1.

Miles was nowhere seen before Peter was dead. Point 2.

Khamala was also nowhere seen before. Point 3.

Aka all these chars were only created bcs they (in what way ever) got rid of the old chars so that they could leech of their popularity.
    Actually, Riri was seen before Civil War II. Her First Appearance was in May 2016. She didn't become Ironheart until November of that year.

Yes, Miles and Khamala were created to fill vacancies left by their predecessors...and both took those mantles to pay tribute to the aforementioned predecessors. In the case of Miles...it would have seriously weakened the effect of Peter dying if his replacement had already been teed up. In the case of Khamala...the mantle of Ms. Marvel had been sitting idle for a year before Khamala was introduced.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

She took over for Tony as he was "occupied" with his life and was nowhere seen before. Point 1.

Miles was nowhere seen before Peter was dead. Point 2.

Khamala was also nowhere seen before. Point 3.

Aka all these chars were only created bcs they (in what way ever) got rid of the old chars so that they could leech of their popularity.
    There was a pretty big gap between the Death of (Ultimate) Spider-Man and the introduction of Miles Morales, ditto with Carol Danvers taking on the mantle of Captain Marvel and Khan discovering her Inhuman heritage to become a new Ms. Marvel. Death of Spider-Man was absolutely brilliant by the way, I can't believe you read it and thought they got rid of Peter just to bring in a replacement, rather than it being an excellent new take on the usual Spider-Man story. Same with Carol, having her take the name "Captain" was an obvious development and probably overdue (and also necessary due to a long saga to do with trademarks involving several different comic companies.)

Miles came in because there was a Spider-Man shaped hole in the Ultimate universe, and filling it allowed them to explore what it would be like for a new Spider-Man trying to fill the void left by a deceased predecessor, and he turned out to be so popular he was the sole (I think) survivor of 1610 when the multiverse was destroyed and reborn.

Khan was one of the new characters created during the Teregen bomb story and was used to explore the idea of a superhero fan-girl becoming a superhero herself, hence her wanting to become the new Ms. Marvel.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    There was a pretty big gap between the Death of (Ultimate) Spider-Man and the introduction of Miles Morales, ditto with Carol Danvers taking on the mantle of Captain Marvel and Khan discovering her Inhuman heritage to become a new Ms. Marvel. Death of Spider-Man was absolutely brilliant by the way, I can't believe you read it and thought they got rid of Peter just to bring in a replacement, rather than it being an excellent new take on the usual Spider-Man story. Same with Carol, having her take the name "Captain" was an obvious development and probably overdue (and also necessary due to a long saga to do with trademarks involving several different comic companies.)

Miles came in because there was a Spider-Man shaped hole in the Ultimate universe, and filling it allowed them to explore what it would be like for a new Spider-Man trying to fill the void left by a deceased predecessor, and he turned out to be so popular he was the sole (I think) survivor of 1610 when the multiverse was destroyed and reborn.

Khan was one of the new characters created during the Teregen bomb story and was used to explore the idea of a superhero fan-girl becoming a superhero herself, hence her wanting to become the new Ms. Marvel.
    In germany we had those in 1 book (they do this, a regular comic is 2 american issues into one and for the ultimate universe it was i think 3 or 4) so it was a direct follow up for me one page had the furneral and the outfall of all of that and the next was miles fightng the kangaroo villain.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Point is those chars you named where before way way before they took over the roll for a certain time. I speak of Miles, Khamala or Riri who were invented to take the name bcs otherwise none of them would have had ANY fucking success.
    This still isn’t a new thing Danny ketch didn’t exist before he became ghost rider for example.

- - - Updated - - -

In germany we had those in 1 book (they do this, a regular comic is 2 american issues into one and for the ultimate universe it was i think 3 or 4) so it was a direct follow up for me one page had the furneral and the outfall of all of that and the next was miles fightng the kangaroo villain.

Jesus that sounds like a horrible format.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    No, that's all over and done with now. It was the Red Skull altering Steve's memories making him believe he was always an undercover Hydra agent just waiting for the perfect opportunity. Yes, it was very dumb.
    First of all that was the best Captain America story in the past 30 years. Second of all Steve was always a hydra agent but when reality was changed by cosmic cube during ww2, he was changed as well. The cosmic cube restored his memories at pleasant hill so he remembered both sets of memories. He chose Hydra. The existence of his mentor, Eliza, is what ties the past together and proves Hydra Cap is the real Cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're cool with Jane Foster becoming Thor and Amadeus Cho being the Hulk? What are your thoughts on characters like Ben Reilley and Kaine who were brought in as clear copies of Spider-Man but didn't take the name immediately?
    Worth noting: Jane becoming Thor was NOTHING to with the All New, All Different reshuffle. FosThor was always part of Jason Aaron's plan for his Thor run, the fact it lined up with Mavel's attempt to diversify is either coincidence, or Marvel lining up the events.

Also, FosThor (after a slightly wobbly start) was a fucking AMAZING run, and features, IMO some of the best Thor stories told in a very long time.

Laura Kinney is a different character than James Howlett.
    I mean... she IS a clone, so you could argue she's really quite similar to him XD.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Worth noting: Jane becoming Thor was NOTHING to with the All New, All Different reshuffle. FosThor was always part of Jason Aaron's plan for his Thor run, the fact it lined up with Mavel's attempt to diversify is either coincidence, or Marvel lining up the events.

Also, FosThor (after a slightly wobbly start) was a fucking AMAZING run, and features, IMO some of the best Thor stories told in a very long time.
    I think what hurt her run is many people just stopped reading when Titania just gave up because they are both women. You take that one part out and very few people could say something negative about her run.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, my favourite example(Which i mentioned earlier in the thread) is when all these folks were getting so upset about Riri Williams "replacing" Iron Man (which she never did...she was always Iron Heart) Dr. Fucking Doom was also running around actually as Iron Man...and none of them batted an eye. I guess it's okay when a Rich White Guy with an Oversized Ego is replaced by another Rich White Guy with an Oversized Ego.
    Riri was only using the Ironman suit, the lead of the Ironman comic and didn't have Iron Heart as a name to start. The reason no one cared about Dr. Doom taking up the mantel is barely anyone knew. Marvel didn't advertise it much and almost no articles were written about it because it doesn't give diversity points. At the time I was reading every DC and Marvel comic I saw and didn't even know.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Riri was only using the Ironman suit, the lead of the Ironman comic and didn't have Iron Heart as a name to start. The reason no one cared about Dr. Doom taking up the mantel is barely anyone knew. Marvel didn't advertise it much and almost no articles were written about it because it doesn't give diversity points. At the time I was reading every DC and Marvel comic I saw and didn't even know.
    I’m not sure how true this is, I personally saw infamous iron man as soon as he came out and there were some articles like this one.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/damn-now-doc...1783375955/amp

Riri did get blown up on attention but it was more so because people were complying about Her.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I’m not sure how true this is, I personally saw infamous iron man as soon as he came out and there were some articles like this one.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/damn-now-doc...1783375955/amp

Riri did get blown up on attention but it was more so because people were complying about Her.
    I didn't say there were no articles, I said there were almost no articles.

7+ Year Old Account
    I didn't say there were no articles, I said there were almost no articles.
    How much is almost none then? From a quick google.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/07/da...on-man-too/amp
    https://www.newsarama.com/30060-conf...-infamous.html
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/do.../1100-6443826/
    https://screenrant.com/marvel-comics...ctor-doom/amp/
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/doctor...ics-series?amp

All from 2016 and I could go on.

I mean you have to search specifically for the topic, you can do that with anything, hardly proof of anything. Really its just you grasping at straws.

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean you have to search specifically for the topic, you can do that with anything, hardly proof of anything. Really its just you grasping at straws.
    All I did was search doctor doom iron man and put in 2016 to narrow down articles. Do you think articles about riri just appeared on people’s computers with no inputs?

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I've never liked the idea of changing established characters. If people want a different kind of hero or whatever they should make a new one.
    Passing the torch or having someone else take up the mantle for a while is cool though. I always dug those ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    All I did was search doctor doom iron man and put in 2016 to narrow down articles. Do you think articles about riri just appeared on people’s computers with no inputs?
    Well I certainly did not search for them nor anything ironman related. Yet they still showed up for me on various comic websites, recommended articles, etc. Do you think people have to specifically search for news headlines to find them? I don't think I've ever searched for a mass shooting before hearing about it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well I certainly did not search for them nor anything ironman related. Yet they still showed up for me on various comic websites, recommended articles, etc. Do you think people have to specifically search for news headlines to find them? I don't think I've ever searched for a mass shooting before hearing about it.
    And theses articles showed up just like riri’s did that’s kinda how it works. Infamous iron man was talked about there were penalty of articles on him and there not hard to find. Riri May have got many more because she was flooded with so much hate but to say infamous had next to none is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post

I mean... she IS a clone, so you could argue she's really quite similar to him XD.
    Technically...she's not a clone. She has Wolverine's DNA in her...but she also has Sarah Kinney's DNA as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I think what hurt her run is many people just stopped reading when Titania just gave up because they are both women. You take that one part out and very few people could say something negative about her run.

- - - Updated - - -

Riri was only using the Ironman suit, the lead of the Ironman comic and didn't have Iron Heart as a name to start.
    Oh no?

And she wasn't using the Iron Man suit. She was using his colour scheme... but the suit was hers.

The reason no one cared about Dr. Doom taking up the mantel is barely anyone knew. Marvel didn't advertise it much and almost no articles were written about it because it doesn't give diversity points. At the time I was reading every DC and Marvel comic I saw and didn't even know.
    Must not have "seen" many Marvel comics then.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2019-06-20 at 05:08 PM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Because gender-bending characters is one of the most shameless and laziest forms of writing that needs to go away

Before people jump on me - I have nothing against female protagonists - just make original female characters that stand on their own two feet. Seems kinda insulting to women if the only way you can make a good female character is by ripping 90% of it's character from a male one (which of course isn't true - there are plenty of original female characters in media that are just fine)
    It's strange how people get all screechy when it's a female taking the mantle from a male character, but if the successor is from the same demographic you barely hear a peep, it's almost as if the bulk of complaints come from identity-politics culture warriors and not super hero or comic fans.

It's strange how people get all screechy when it's a female taking the mantle from a male character, but if the successor is from the same demographic you barely hear a peep, it's almost as if the bulk of complaints come from identity-politics culture warriors and not super hero or comic fans.
    It's almost like you're projecting a lot of nonsense, the same stands true for female>male characters, it's still just as lazy. The reason why you don't hear as much complaining about this is that there's rarely a situation when this happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    It's almost like you're projecting a lot of nonsense, the same stands true for female>male characters, it's still just as lazy. The reason why you don't hear as much complaining about this is that there's rarely a situation when this happens.
    There have been way more male/white characters taking up mantles that people don’t complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    But it doesn't happen when it's male>male characters...unless that male is of a darker complexion than the original.