Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What Does Happiness Mean To You?

What does happiness mean to you?

Is feeling "Content" the same or different as feeling "Happy"?

How dependent or not is "Happiness" based off minor life choices and results?

What role does: Race, Color, Money, Geography, Politics, Age; play in part to one's "Happiness"?

Does simplicity or complexity drive increased or decreased values of "happiness"?

The differences between levels of "Happiness" and other human beings?

Share your thoughts, learning exercise let commence. Thank you!

Autonomy. Enough money. A social life.

Personal development can only happen with the above. The ability to focus on personal development because all else is good is the ultimate form of happiness.
    Last edited by Thereturn; 2019-06-20 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    Autonomy. Enough money. A social life.
    Seems a little short without description. How does that compare or relate to to having no money yet still having a social life, is that even a possibility? or Autonomy without money? Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactis View Post
    Seems a little short without description. How does that compare or relate to to having no money yet still having a social life, is that even a possibility? or Autonomy without money? Hmm.
    https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

One requires the other. Someone with no money will struggle to keep up their social connections. Without social connections, where does one get self esteem from? Without selfesteem, freedom and recognition, how can one truely work on their self actualisation.
    Last edited by Thereturn; 2019-06-20 at 07:48 PM.

I gave up being happy.
    I gave up being content, although I'm trying.
    My mind and spirit is too restless

Yes I know about Maslows heirarchy of needs. I'm talking about what it means to you! as a person... Not what others think happiness should mean to everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I gave up being happy.
    I gave up being content, although I'm trying.
    My mind and spirit is too restless
    Contentedness I find to be a better more accurate representation of my current status of the last 10 years. Happiness I think is something that for me at least feels has gone with the wind. Like it just left and is gone and that I am now left with this other feeling of just meandering. I'm good sitting down, not being bothered, playing video games till I die. Is that happiness or contentedness? hmm

Yes I know about Maslows heirarchy of needs. I'm talking about what it means to you! as a person... Not what others think happiness should mean to everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Contentedness I find to be a better more accurate representation of my current status of the last 10 years. Happiness I think is something that for me at least feels has gone with the wind. Like it just left and is gone and that I am now left with this other feeling of just meandering. I'm good sitting down, not being bothered, playing video games till I die. Is that happiness or contentedness? hmm
    Neither. Thats just sad. The fact that you bothered to make a thread about it shows you are not content. Or you wouldnt be asking for recognition (step 4, so 1, 2 and 3 must be in order to some extend).

Neither. Thats just sad. The fact that you bothered to make a thread about it shows you are not content. Or you wouldnt be asking for recognition (step 4, so 1, 2 and 3 must be in order to some extend).
    Not seeking recognition at all, I'm seeking other's feelings towards the idea is all. Doesn't really matter how I feel based on others inputs.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

One requires the other. Someone with no money will struggle to keep up their social connections. Without social connections, where does one get self esteem from? Without selfesteem, freedom and recognition, how can one truely work on their self actualisation.
    From a Stoic point of view, status recognition and, possibly, to a lesser extent respect are useless, or at best, preferred indifferents

Great family & friends and a nice joint with a little bit of video games sprinkled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    From a Stoic point of view, status recognition and, possibly, to a lesser extent respect are useless, or at best, preferred indifferents
    I'm talking about Happiness though. The top four have no bearing on happiness.

10+ Year Old Account
    I misunderstood, is that not pyramid scheme of things one needs to ultimately be happy with themselves?

I misunderstood, is that not pyramid scheme of things one needs to ultimately be happy with themselves?
    No. One can have all of only the things on the bottom layer and be "happy". D

Yes it is.

- - - Updated - - -

No. One can have all of only the things on the bottom layer and be "happy". D
    The bottom one is solely materialistic needs. Of which we all know does not lead to a happy life. One can be unhappy without but human nature makes us crave for the next thing once weve obtained it. One can be content for a while solely with the bottom. Which isnt the same thing as happyness.

- - - Updated - - -

Security, recognition and intimacy are the biggest influencers of happiness. The f you talking about?
    Last edited by Thereturn; 2019-06-20 at 08:34 PM.

happiness doesn't exist. Its an illusion that tricks the mind and body into maintaining the current state of being.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    happiness doesn't exist. Its an illusion that tricks the mind and body into maintaining the current state of being.
    so your saying emotions are a lie.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    What does happiness mean to you?
    IMO happiness is doing something new every day, or doing something that I've already done but slightly better the next day. It's not something that can be 'reached'.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Being content is one of the big keys to being happy. Does not mean we should never strive for bettering ourselves however.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Low to no stress, enough money to pursue my interests in a reasonable fashion, and absolute shitloads of free time. I doubt I'll ever actually be happy, western culture isn't built for it.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Low to no stress, enough money to pursue my interests in a reasonable fashion, and absolute shitloads of free time. I doubt I'll ever actually be happy, western culture isn't built for it.
    You should be. The question is, why are you not happy? I am happy and have pretty much what you do in terms of low stress, enough money to live well, and enough free time to do what I want.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams