Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shaman elemental or enhancement?

Hi guys i'm back to wow with my shaman. Leveling up i loved enhancement spec, because is really fun and beatiful to watch. At level 120 i saw that to be a good dps as shaman we now have to go elemental (best dps, top 3), but i find it really less fun .
    What do you think, can enhancement do a good dps in raid or it will be always discard? I'm gearing up so i want to take the right gear for my future spec

What do you find to be more 'fun' about enhancement? I don't watch my character during boss fights, so I guess I never understood why an axe-swinging or whatever animation looking 'cool' would matter.

I'd say that, for the good of the raid/group, play ele for raids and enh for lesser content if you'd like. I can't think of any logical reason not to be playing ele right now.

This will be closed. Help me pick threads get closed. Try them both and decide for yourself.

5+ Year Old Account
    Do you plan on doing competitive content, like mythic raiding? if not, just go whatever you like the most. Enh isn't bad
    Last edited by Merryck; 2019-06-19 at 10:44 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Just finished getting a kultiran shaman to 120 most of it as element then enchantment. As much fun enchantment is; seeing 4 chain lightings or more go off is so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewshine View Post
    Just finished getting a kultiran shaman to 120 most of it as element then enchantment. As much fun enchantment is; seeing 4 chain lightings or more go off is so much fun.

I don't know why this bothers me so much. But I can't stand it when people use the wrong word for the spec. It's the same thing when people say "Tomb" when referring to "Tome".

The spec is ENHANCEMENT, not enchant. I know they sound and look similar, and even have a sort of similar meaning in regards to the game, but get it right. Enchanting is a profession, not a shaman spec.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I don't know why this bothers me so much. But I can't stand it when people use the wrong word for the spec. It's the same thing when people say "Tomb" when referring to "Tome".

The spec is ENHANCEMENT, not enchant. I know they sound and look similar, and even have a sort of similar meaning in regards to the game, but get it right.
    My apologies, I post from my phone and spell check sucks with this website.

No worries. I just see the spec commonly referred to as enchantment even in-game. It's a repeat offender.

No worries. I just see the spec commonly referred to as enchantment even in-game. It's a repeat offender.
    Cant say i have ever seen it called enchantment in game. Ever. But auto correct / spell checkers get ppl on the forums pretty frequently. Maybe his auto correct has gone rouge on him?

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Cant say i have ever seen it called enchantment in game. Ever. But auto correct / spell checkers get ppl on the forums pretty frequently. Maybe his auto correct has gone rouge on him?
    The first time I saw someone say it was in vanilla. And then on amd off ever since. People would even go as far as saying "Enchancement shammy". It was ridiculous.

5+ Year Old Account
    The first time I saw someone say it was in vanilla. And then on amd off ever since. People would even go as far as saying "Enchancement shammy". It was ridiculous.
    MMORPGs can have true eye hurting things when people mention game concepts.

In NosTale, there is a 'class' called 'canon', it's a guy that fires a canon with cool abilities and all, very cool.

The problem is... 'Cañón' means the same as canon, and canon in Spanish only share the same meaning as English apart of... the weapon's name... And yes, the game is totally translated into Spanish...

So yeah, MMORPGs can have truly eye damaging naming coming from players xd

Or in Metin2 with people calling boars... bears... and that ALSO, in SOME WAY, translated into the Spanish servers. And that's more sinful, 'Jabalí' and 'Oso' look and sound even more different xddddd

Avoid enhancement for PvP, too weak and avoid it again in PvE, too bloated for a worst outcome that other melees.

I turn auto-correct off to keep me sharper lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Prozach View Post
    What do you find to be more 'fun' about enhancement? I don't watch my character during boss fights, so I guess I never understood why an axe-swinging or whatever animation looking 'cool' would matter.

I'd say that, for the good of the raid/group, play ele for raids and enh for lesser content if you'd like. I can't think of any logical reason not to be playing ele right now.
    Visuals and sound animations are good for inmersion.

I tried leveling my shaman as elemental, but the lightning Bolt animation and sound is just so... Bland... It "feels" like it doesn't do much damage.

In contrast, while playing my fury warrior I feel OP as hell because of the hack and slash animations, even tho my damage is garbage because of my gear.

To the OP. Try both and decide. I like enhance better than elemental, but it's all about personal choice

Don't go with the flavor of the month mentality. Unless your goal is to push high mythic+ or go into high end competitive raiding/PvP you should be fine with either spec.

Play what you enjoy. There's no point on playing a character you aren't having fun with because an addon reports higher numbers.
    Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2019-06-20 at 03:10 PM.

Enhancement is great when you get lucky with windfury and things just explode. Never tried elemental, as I have enough casters already.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    Enhancement is great when you get lucky with windfury and things just explode. Never tried elemental, as I have enough casters already.
    It's pretty great in cleave when you get a ton of mastery procs with chain lightning.
    Insert a gif of Darth Sideous shooting lightning here

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It's pretty great in cleave when you get a ton of mastery procs with chain lightning.
    Insert a gif of Darth Sideous shooting lightning here
    That does sound entertaining. I think I'll make an elemental vulpera shaman, if they wind up being a thing. Probably won't bother otherwise.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

I hate the whole class because it's the only class that has lightning magic and hogs it to itself, yet fire/frost get shared around villy nilly and sometimes even to non-magic classes. That being said, neither DPS spec is particularily intesting.

Elemental has one of the most boring DPS rotations in history. You keep up a single dot, wait until a bar fills and otherwise pray that you get a lava lash proc, because without you're stuck casting an incredibly impotent lightning strike spell that feels like it takes ages to finish. You press one button if your bar is full to use a powerfull instant spell. Even frost mage has more than thrice the depth of an elemental shaman.

Enhancment isn't much better. You essentially just spam what lights up and pretty much hope that one of the things that does is storm strike. The only advantage is that it's melee and therfore you are more mobile.

You can find postitions in raids with either spec, also the crap you get while leveling is utterly useless to you anyway, by the time you finally hit max level you will be stuck with WQs, most of which reward you with trinkets and weapons without a care for your spec choice anyway (only exception is emissary rewards). Not to mention that playing fotm 5 days before the patch is completely pointless, it was only that strong because it can somewhat multi dot and has a fairly large cleave range.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I hate the whole class because it's the only class that has lightning magic and hogs it to itself, yet fire/frost get shared around villy nilly and sometimes even to non-magic classes. That being said, neither DPS spec is particularily intesting.

Elemental has one of the most boring DPS rotations in history. You keep up a single dot, wait until a bar fills and otherwise pray that you get a lava lash proc, because without you're stuck casting an incredibly impotent lightning strike spell that feels like it takes ages to finish. You press one button if your bar is full to use a powerfull instant spell. Even frost mage has more than thrice the depth of an elemental shaman.

Enhancment isn't much better. You essentially just spam what lights up and pretty much hope that one of the things that does is storm strike. The only advantage is that it's melee and therfore you are more mobile.

You can find postitions in raids with either spec, also the crap you get while leveling is utterly useless to you anyway, by the time you finally hit max level you will be stuck with WQs, most of which reward you with trinkets and weapons without a care for your spec choice anyway (only exception is emissary rewards). Not to mention that playing fotm 5 days before the patch is completely pointless, it was only that strong because it can somewhat multi dot and has a fairly large cleave range.
    Obv, you do not play with icefury.

And with the good azerite trait (aka igneous power which is mandatory), you have a ton a of lava blast proc and even more as soon as more targets show up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love enhancement shamans. They're my favorite class/spec to play as. They also do great DPS. I remember being number 1 on the DPS charts while leveling up pretty much all the time. I was never lower than 2nd place. Now that I'm 120 with around 383 ilvl I'm hardly ever below 2nd place in dungeons and I'm always in the top 10 in raids. So if you're wondering if enhancement is good for DPS then I can safely say, hell yes they are.

Elemental I can't speak much of. I tried them for a little bit not too long ago and they were surprisingly fun to play as well and I remember elemental shamans always did insane damage.

So I'd say just go with what is more fun for you. Figure out if you rather be melee or ranged. Both specs are great for DPS and both are super fun to play.