Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Joe Biden’s claim that ‘almost half’ of Americans live in poverty

“We have . . . almost half the people in the United States living in poverty.”

-- Biden

Biden is flat-out wrong to claim that half the country is living in poverty. The three independent experts we surveyed, all of them leaders in the field of poverty research, did not hesitate to criticize his math and rejected the notion that all people below 200 percent of the poverty line should be counted as poor.

But after putting it all together — the progress in lowering poverty rates that Haskins mentioned, the broad spectrum between poor and low-income households that Moffitt pointed out, the CRS report’s finding that the supplemental poverty measure does not account for private or public health benefits, and the overall hazy and exaggerated image that emerges — we landed on Three Pinocchios.

As a presidential contender with a long record in politics, Biden surely knows that precision is key for policymakers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-live-poverty/

50% seems kind of high. I would think after Trump democrats would avoid hyperbole.

Do you think 50% of American's live in poverty?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    50% seems kind of high. I would think after Trump democrats would avoid hyperbole.

Of course not. He is just trying to pull smoke over the eyes of many for political reasons.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Of course not. He is just trying to pull
    Biden should be taken seriously but not literally.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wait, wait, wait, so with your current president who can't be taken literally on ANYTHING, it's somehow a problem when Biden does something similar?

Why the fuck are Democrats held to a higher standard by those that don't vote for them anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Why the fuck are Democrats held to a higher standard by those that don't vote for them anyway?
    You already know the answer. Trump's rabid fanbase (you know who you are) already know they backed a lying loser. They're desperate to use the "both sides do it" to equivocate one incorrect statement (yes, Biden was factually wrong) by one person for thousands of lies of the person they voted for and are pretending that's okay.

On topic:

Poverty rates hang out in the 10 to 15 percent range. They "spiked" in the W recession but even then didn't pass that number.

Almost half, not 50%. Almost 50% which coincides with that 40% can't cover a 400$ medical expense. I'd say 40% is almost half. So yes his claim seems accurate.

10+ Year Old Account

Yes. Rent is too high for most people. Most people don't have more than $400 in savings. People work full time jobs and can't afford rent? People going broke over medical necessities?

We have a serious economic problem here that's only allowed to perpetuate because the GOP has convinced their base that the wealth of the rich will "trickle down."
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Almost half, not 50%. Almost 50% which coincides with that 40% can't cover a 400$ medical expense. I'd say 40% is almost half. So yes his claim seems accurate.

In the OP article, The Washington Post says it's no where near 50%. It says Biden is lying.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

In the OP article, The Washington Post says it's no where near 50%. It says Biden is lying.
    I can't read the article, so I'll take your word for it, i disagree with the article. But you are saying 50% which is not what he said, so you are also lying.

50% is a bit of a stretch, in reality its closer to a third of all Americans live in poverty.

Which lets face it, is still a large portion of the population. So while Biden's numbers were off the message was still spot on.

https://ballotpedia.org/Fact_check/D...ear_poverty%22

Moreover, if we combined the SPM with the commonly-used definition of near poverty as between 100 and 150 percent of the poverty line, it comes out to only 32 percent of the population, or roughly one in three Americans.

No, there are basically no people living in poverty in USA or any other developed country.

I assume he’s referring to the 40% of people that can’t cover a $400 emergency, and screwed up the statistic.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

More than half of Americans are one problem away from complete financial ruin, if you'd like to think of it that way. Most have significant debt without big income or savings. They also have either shit insurance or no insurance at all.

Wouldn't take much to ruin their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Aylaman View Post
    No, there are basically no people living in poverty in USA or any other developed country.
    I mean, that's simply a ridiculous statement, care to back it up with evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Biden should be taken seriously but not literally.
    Thank you for nearly making me spit out my coffee this morning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    And that is exactly how Joe want to keep it.

10+ Year Old Account
    They take issue with his definition of poverty. That doesn't make Biden a liar.

In particular, they are all trying to engage in equivocations that a lot of these people are "low-income", not "poor", which may be technically accurate, but doesn't argue against the greater issue that Biden is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They take issue with his definition of poverty. That doesn't make Biden a liar.
    It's not even his definition, he was responding to comments from someone who spoke before him who qualified their 43.5% poverty claim.

If there wasn't context for this, I'd say that we're treading dangerously close to excusing "alternative numbers" with this kind of defense. But thankfully there is context for his comments (even if some don't want to read it), even if I still think he could have phrased his words better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's not even his definition, he was responding to comments from someone who spoke before him who qualified their 43.5% poverty claim.

If there wasn't context for this, I'd say that we're treading dangerously close to excusing "alternative numbers" with this kind of defense. But thankfully there is context for his comments (even if some don't want to read it), even if I still think he could have phrased his words better.
    Right, I just think it's crazy to shout that Biden's a "liar" because he said "in poverty" rather than "low income or in poverty". It doesn't change the material point he was getting at. At best, he's being a little imprecise with his language; calling that a "lie" is egregious.

Herald of the Titans DocSavageFan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    I assume he’s referring to the 40% of people that can’t cover a $400 emergency, and screwed up the statistic.
    ^ This is likely. Actual poverty rate data as follows:

"Never get on the bad side of small minded people who have a little power." - Evelyn (Gifted)