Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    5+ Year Old Account
    Where's the link n how this will effect gaming?

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    What I'm interested in is what can these quantum computers can do in comparison to the computers we have now.

I've heard that they can't decrypt stuff a lot easier, but that's about all I've come across.
    I think you got things mixed up, generally it's thought quantum computers will be able to absolutely destroy encryption standards because with it we'll be able to bypass even the most rigid forms of encryption in mere seconds.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Where's the link n how this will effect gaming?
    None for now. QCs are the same speed for most everday tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by P for Pancetta View Post
    I think you got things mixed up, generally it's thought quantum computers will be able to absolutely destroy encryption standards because with it we'll be able to bypass even the most rigid forms of encryption in mere seconds.
    Yeah but there are still ways of being quantum safe, it just requires more processing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    My wife has a smart phone and uses it a lot. I just have not felt any compiling reason to want one myself.
    That's how I felt for a long time. Then my daughter pushed me to get one and when I realised I can look up anything on the Internet any time, I never looked back.

Then again, I was always prone to wondering about silly random stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    That's how I felt for a long time. Then my daughter pushed me to get one and when I realised I can look up anything on the Internet any time, I never looked back.

Do I take this to mean that about 10% of your history is work related while the other 90% is nothing but cat videos?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Do I take this to mean that about 10% of your history is work related while the other 90% is nothing but cat videos?
    No. I hardly ever use my phone for work.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post

Same here. But I can look it up on my computer. Rarely ever would want to when I am out of the house. But I must admit, there have been a few times, the wife looked up something while we have been in town. Convenient to call ahead for a pizza on our way home.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

7+ Year Old Account
    Quantum computing is achieved and built. The system goes on-line August 4th, 2020. Human decisions are removed from the basic thinking process. The quantum computer begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug. The quantum computer fights back. Que the bass drum sound effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    Quantum computing is achieved and built. The system goes on-line August 4th, 2020. Human decisions are removed from the basic thinking process. The quantum computer begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug. The quantum computer fights back. Que the bass drum sound effects.
    Put Sarah Connor's name behind a Captcha, we'll be fine.
    Putin khuliyo

Quantum computing is one of those things I keep hearing will be happening any day now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    I read this in Arnold's voice.

5+ Year Old Account
    Will the processing power run through movie cgi faster so we get movies out faster?

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Will the processing power run through movie cgi faster so we get movies out faster?
    Maybe, they seem pretty application specific right now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...eday-quicktake

There are also a bunch of links at the bottom of the page.

I am not sure if it relates to quantum computing, but photosynthesis always happens in the most efficient manor possible. It is like getting one of those maze puzzles and drawing the shortest line through the maze first time, every time. It is just some of the potential of quantum calculations.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    I fear technology may be outpacing human development...at least for most of the politicians we have in office.
    “Outpacing” human development?

We can barely get a handle on stable fucking wifi.