View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Can a German in Germany burn the German flag (and other EU countries) or do they not have that basic human right?

Because I am questioning this article...

In a motley array of countries, liberal or not so much so, flag-burning is regarded as a crime. Turkey and Israel, but also Switzerland, France, Germany, Romania and Portugal react to the desecration of the flag, sometimes even in private situations, with fines or a prison sentence.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...l-2226102.html
    Yes, I can burn all the German flags I want, provided they are my own. It's illegal to rip off flags flown officially or in support of Germany, meaning I am not allowed to rip of just any flag I see. That "sometimes" in the article can mean any of the listed countries, certainly not Germany.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is so unfair. I want another vote and I'm going to scream and whine and stomp my feet until I get one, boo hoo hoo. How can this be democracy? It makes me want to start lobbing milkshakes, time for a second re-vote...

Brexit Party chiefs announce they will legally challenge Peterborough by-election result

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11...gh-by-election

Do I sound like a remainer eurochums? Well do I? I heard my remainer neighbours on the council smashing a plate and shouting last night too, think I'm going to call the police and sell the tapes to the local papers...

Infracted.
    Last edited by Flarelaine; 2019-06-24 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Trolling
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Brexit Party chiefs announce they will legally challenge Peterborough by-election result

In my, admittedly non-expert, opinion it seems to be the wrong time to launch a challenge to the Peterborough election whilst a police investigation is ongoing.

If the investigation concludes that wrongdoing has taken place and it is proved in court then it is absolutely the right thing to launch a challenge but I don't think that the electoral commission will want or be able to proceed whilst the police are still investigating. Perhaps that is what Nigel wants? He does like playing the victim after all and by and large his supporters fall for his sob stories.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    In my, admittedly non-expert, opinion it seems to be the wrong time to launch a challenge to the Peterborough election whilst a police investigation is ongoing.

If the investigation concludes that wrongdoing has taken place and it is proved in court then it is absolutely the right thing to launch a challenge but I don't think that the electoral commission will want or be able to proceed whilst the police are still investigating. Perhaps that is what Nigel wants? He does like playing the victim after all and by and large his supporters fall for his sob stories.
    I doubt it is about much other than keeping the BXP in the headline news with max publicity whilst the Tory leadership contest dominates for the next few weeks.

But there are serious issues with postal voting amongst certain segments of society it raises that should be addressed.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

This is so unfair. I want another vote and I'm going to scream and whine and stomp my feet until I get one, boo hoo hoo. How can this be democracy? It makes me want to start lobbing milkshakes, time for a second re-vote...

Do I sound like a remainer eurochums? Well do I? I heard my remainer neighbours on the council smashing a plate and shouting last night too, think I'm going to call the police and sell the tapes to the local papers...

Infracted.
    No you sound like Farage when it looked like remain won.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    No you sound like Farage when it looked like remain won.
    I'm more surprised a mod actually infracted him for his bullshit for once. Amazing.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    New mod to politics. Maybe we should bother reporting when dribbles is flamebaiting . . . which is almost every post.
    I won't bother. It's random anyway.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

@dribbles, in our previous discussion about the upcoming Brecon and Radnorshire election I said that I would not be surprised if the Cons held on to the seat, I think I might have to take that back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-48736879

Don't dwell too long on moderation. It is a forbidden topic, after all.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    @dribbles, in our previous discussion about the upcoming Brecon and Radnorshire election I said that I would not be surprised if the Cons held on to the seat, I think I might have to take that back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-48736879
    Since the Welsh took a shine to Neil Hamilton I try to shy away from predicting how the provinces will vote :P

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Don't dwell too long on moderation. It is a forbidden topic, after all.
    I liek this new mod... *becomes Flarelaine fanboii*

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/vi...-brexit.716652

Boris Johnson, the favourite to replace British Prime Minister Theresa May, has acknowledged that London would need cooperation from the European Union to cushion potential shocks in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
    So, basically, he wants a deal for the no-deal scenario? I'm not sure it can get more British than that...

Meanwhile, in the real world:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-b...-idUSKCN1TQ0PN

A hard Brexit border could cost 50,000 pounds a minute in border delays, according to data released by the SMMT on Tuesday.
    I did some quick calculations... Assuming a wild 24h cycle and a 30 day month, that's like 2.16 billion pounds per month. Even if I'm generous and just take two thirds of that, it's more than the 1.4bn per month myth that the Brexit side had on their bus... So, this is all good, right? Just take that money and give it to the auto industry. Oh wait, that leaves nothing for the NHS. Well, they can manage, being sold off to the US, right? Except, now suddenly surviving a cold actually costs money for the consumer.

So... let's keep that in mind, because I'd like everyone to know who will eventually pay for all of this.
    Last edited by Slant; 2019-06-25 at 10:46 AM.

Johnson said May's current EU withdrawal agreement is "dead" after being rejected three times by the British parliament.

However, he believes there would be enough time to negotiate a new agreement with the EU ahead of the deadline and hoped the bloc would be willing to grant an "implementation period".

I guess you need a strong belief to be able to turn your back to reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Johnson said May's current EU withdrawal agreement is "dead" after being rejected three times by the British parliament.

However, he believes there would be enough time to negotiate a new agreement with the EU ahead of the deadline and hoped the bloc would be willing to grant an "implementation period".

I guess you need a strong belief to be able to turn your back to reality.
    I don't think he actually believes a word of what he's saying when talking about renegotiations with the EU in that manner.

Boris Johnson wants a no-deal, but to get there he first needs to survive a more or less inevitable motion of no confidence vote against him.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly he believes himself to be an amazing negotiator, who only needs couple months to do something that wasn't accomplished in over two years. Or buys into the idea that EU is so weak that he only needs a bit "stronger" stance and everything will just pop into place.

Or it's just the usual bullshit to appease some doubters.

There are a lot of possible explanations to why Mr Johnson says as he does. What there is not is a single one that comes from sane politics.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    I don't think he actually believes a word of what he's saying when talking about renegotiations with the EU in that manner.

Boris Johnson wants a no-deal, but to get there he first needs to survive a more or less inevitable motion of no confidence vote against him.
    I don't think Johson cares whether it's no deal, deal or remain. Ultimately what he wants is power. He was remainer before he realized he might get more traction as brexiter so he switched sides.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    There are rumoured to be a dozen or so Conservative MPs who would vote against BJ and the government. Maybe not at the first attempt (if Corbyn calls a vote immediately after BJ's victory) but certainly at a subsequent attempt if it's clear BJ is looking to take the UK out with no deal.

But, there might arise the comical & depressing situation where pro-Brexit Labour MPs actually vote with the Tories. The government can't rely on the support of the DUP either. So who knows what the numbers would be?

However, if the government loses a vote of no confidence it won't actually mean anything in terms of Brexit. It just means there'll be a general election. The UK would be entirely dependent on the EU granting a further extension past October 31 to sort out what it is we want to do. The general election would be fought on the EU issue & with or without the promise of a second referendum as part of Labour's manifesto.

In my opinion it (the Tory leadership contest) is a massive distraction and a complete waste of time, which suits the no-dealers perfectly. And it's an indication of how weak Labour and Corbyn are that they are not exploiting this fully.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It wouldn't even be up to the EU. The EU would still need to be ASKED to give an extension and that means you'd need not just a GE but to swear a government first, unless an interim government was authorized to seek the extension.

But honestly if there is a GE and the Tories or the Brexit party get the majority, why would the EU even waste it's time. Imo if Labour wants to win a majority and not split the vote with Lib Dems, they will have to promise a referendum. And if there is to a be a referendum, the EU will grant an extension however much it would like for all this to be over.
    Yes but promising a referendum means Corbyn is unlikely to get his goal of pulling out of the empire of europe and start blaming the jews for all things if they go wrong in the UK.