Page 1 of 25
... LastLast

Meet antifa's secret weapon against far-right extremists

Once she had a long list of people to investigate, Squire opened a database of her own design—named Whack-a-Mole—which contains, as far as anyone can tell, the most robust trove of information on far-right extremists.

Squire, a 45-year-old professor of computer science at Elon University

racks far-right extremists. Whack-a-Mole, her creation, is a set of programs that monitors some 400,000 accounts of white nationalists on Facebook and other websites and feeds that information into a centralized database.

Though Squire may be peaceful herself, among her strongest allies are “antifa” activists, the far-left antifascists.

Whack-a-Mole was shining a searchlight. By mid-December, the SPLC had compiled a list of 130 people and was contacting them, to give them a chance to respond before possibly informing their employers or taking legal action. Meanwhile, the left-wing activist whom Squire had separately sent data to was preparing to release certain names online. This is just how Squire likes it.

https://www.wired.com/story/free-spe...a-data-mining/

Computer science professor writes Facebook and Twitter bots that store data about extremists. Uses data to dox them.

Do you approve of Prof. Squire's tactics?
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2019-06-24 at 03:32 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Computer science professor writes Facebook and Twitter bots that store data about white extremists. Uses data to dox them.

Yes, I do if you are a white supremacist you should be exposed and doxxed, own your shit.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Computer science professor writes Facebook and Twitter bots that store data about white extremists. Uses data to dox them.

The problem is with ANTIFA is that they label anyone they disagree with as fascist and extremist while they themselves are fascist and extremist. There isn't anything good about ANTIFA.

And what about other extremist groups? Her software could achieve so much more...

10+ Year Old Account

Given that all she's doing is collecting and analysing people's publicly-posted statements, I don't see what there is to disagree with.

If "being a racist fuckwad" isn't a bad thing, having her point out that you're a racist fuckwad to your boss shouldn't matter, no? (Note that "you" here is a hypothetical, not any particular person, certainly not anyone posting)

And if he fires you, because it is a bad thing, is it her fault for noticing you're a racist fuckwad? Of course not. It's your fault for being a racist fuckwad, in the first place. You're being fired because you're racist. The only one responsible for that is you. Bitching because people noticed what a terrible person you are is just pathetic. Grow up and take some personal responsibility.

It's information. If it's accurate, you've got no grounds to complain. If it's not accurate, make that argument; if her methodology is crap, she'll stop getting attention.

What malevolent left winger worth their salt wouldn't love a program that targets only white folks.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Given that all she's doing is collecting and analysing people's publicly-posted statements, I don't see what there is to disagree with.

If "being a racist fuckwad" isn't a bad thing, having her point out that you're a racist fuckwad to your boss shouldn't matter, no? (Note that "you" here is a hypothetical, not any particular person, certainly not anyone posting)

And if he fires you, because it is a bad thing, is it her fault for noticing you're a racist fuckwad? Of course not. It's your fault for being a racist fuckwad, in the first place. You're being fired because you're racist. The only one responsible for that is you. Bitching because people noticed what a terrible person you are is just pathetic. Grow up and take some personal responsibility.

It's information. If it's accurate, you've got no grounds to complain. If it's not accurate, make that argument; if her methodology is crap, she'll stop getting attention.
    What people do on their own time should have zero bearing on their employment status. Unless they represent themselves on behalf of their employer, or behave in the same manner at work, being an idiot on the internet shouldn't matter at all. Everyone is entitled to doing so, and to think otherwise, well, we now see who the real fascists are.

Computer science professor writes Facebook and Twitter bots that store data about extremists. Uses data to dox them.

I kind of have grey feelings about this. It reminds me of McCarthyism when people who believe in communism were blacklisted from getting jobs. I don't see communists as being evil. I do see alt right people as evil. I don't really have a problem with alt right people having problems getting a job because they are racists and extreme right-wingers but it can be turned so easily to the other side. You are blacklisted if you dont believe in this or that. You are black listed if you are not a christian, you are black listed if you are a christian or atheist or gay or any other affiliation. I am on the fence the way I feel about it. I am a liberal.

15+ Year Old Account
    One of those 400000 people that were picked by some undoubtedly flawed algorithm are going to get singled out and face an extremely disproportionate response to whatever their thought-crime was.

- - - Updated - - -

How about if she used this to locate people for a group that wanted to go after and harass, threaten and try to disrupt the lives of pro-choice supporters, or gay marriage supporters? I mean, it's just data collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I kind of have grey feelings about this. It reminds me of McCarthyism when people who believe in communism were blacklisted from getting jobs. I don't see communists as being evil. I do see alt right people as evil. I don't really have a problem with alt right people having problems getting a job because they are racists and extreme right-wingers but it can be turned so easily to the other side. You are blacklisted if you dont believe in this or that. You are black listed if you are not a christian, you are black listed if you are a christian or atheist or gay or any other affiliation. I am on the fence the way I feel about it. I am a liberal.
    Says everything people need to know about you.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    The problem is with ANTIFA is that they label anyone they disagree with as fascist and extremist while they themselves are fascist and extremist. There isn't anything good about ANTIFA.
    Basically this. They're more "fascist' than any of the people they're trying to stand up against, but with a scary self-righteousness.

Anyone with sense can see that Antifa is a ticking time bomb of shit. Any of these extremes are fundamentally a bad idea - especially when they're slowly escalating each side to be more and more extreme in their views and actions.

I know I know "bla bla Far Right have currently killed more people", but we can't base the merit of violent extremists just on whose killed the most, as history has shown us that these things are liable to swing pretty quickly.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmmmm, this thread is very popcorn worthy.

Please..continue. =)
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aylaman View Post
    Says everything people need to know about you.
    Are you from 1960's America?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    What people do on their own time should have zero bearing on their employment status. Unless they represent themselves on behalf of their employer, or behave in the same manner at work, being an idiot on the internet shouldn't matter at all. Everyone is entitled to doing so, and to think otherwise, well, we now see who the real fascists are.

Nonsense everything you do in your professional life is tied to your personal one. If you are a fucking racist piece of shit you might be a swell EMT, but that doesn't change the fact that if you are an EMT and you are a racist and hold those kinds of beliefs, that it doesn't shade your ability to do your job.

Just like a Zookeeper talking about pushing some ignorant bitch in a alligator pit, I am sure he was joking, however it doesn't change the fact whatever he said even if it's off the clock reflect poorly on the choices of those who employ him and creates a huge fucking liability for anyone vested into that park.

You want to bad mouth people of different races and genders while going off about how superior you are, yet you NEED to worry about a fucking job, where you are every bit dependent not only those who might look like you and those that don't.

There is a price to be paid for things you do as an adult, and that is the only line I would NOT cross, if you shout it or say it in public or open forum online, then you should totally fine with any and everybody you know reading and knowing about it. OWN your shit.

The only exception I would make is is you are under the age of like 14 maybe 18. But if you are an adult if you have a problem with other people hearing, then maybe don't fucking say it, or wait until you are in private and on your own time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Mmmmm, this thread is very popcorn worthy.

Please..continue. =)
    What kind of popcorn we talking about now, you got any of that fancy white cheddar kind?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Should probably rename it to whichunt'o'matic.

Let me get this straight:
    - Having people mass tweeting at leftist (e.g.: during gamer gate): targeted harassment.
    - Having people mass calling someone's boss to get him or her fired: fine and dandy.

Makes sense.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    This is not ever going to happen, because your actions always reflect on your employer; if you're behaving badly, your employer can choose to either take a stance, or look the other way, and regardless of their choice, it's still a choice. And your employer will wear the consequences of that choice.

Take some personal responsibility for your own bad behaviour, rather than trying to argue you shouldn't face any consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    How about if she used this to locate people for a group that wanted to go after and harass, threaten and try to disrupt the lives of pro-choice supporters, or gay marriage supporters? I mean, it's just data collection.
    I'm pro-choice and I support gay marriage. Why would I care if those got exposed? They're laudable stances. Go nuts, tell the world.

If you're harassing and threatening, that's something else entirely. Which you should've known, before posting.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm pro-choice and I support gay marriage. Why would I care if those got exposed? They're laudable stances. Go nuts, tell the world.

If you're harassing and threatening, that's something else entirely. Which you should've known, before posting.
    It is something else entirely, and also the likely result of what she's doing. Hence my question...

Is doxxing okey as long as it's against people you disagree with, or is doxxing always okey because it's public data anyway?

Are you from 1960's America?
    Nope, live in Norway. Communists are responsible for murdering millions, they're on the scale of nazis.

Why is Antifa allowed to exist? IMO they are just as bad as Far Right.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is something else entirely, and also the likely result of what she's doing. Hence my question...
    Where you said "likely", that's where you admitted you were making it up and had nothing to base that claim on.

Is doxxing okey as long as it's against people you disagree with, or is doxxing always okey because it's public data anyway?
    If it's publicly posted information, I don't consider it "doxxing" in any reasonable sense to begin with.

If you post your employer and such on your Facebook as well as posting racist comments, someone contacting your employer and showing them your comments isn't "doxxing" you in any reasonable sense. You publicly posted that information, yourself.