Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

New High in U.S. Say Immigration Most Important Problem

Americans' concern with immigration continues to be heightened, as 23% name it the most important problem facing the country. This is by one percentage point the highest Gallup has ever measured for the issue since it first began recording mentions of immigration in 1993.

Mentions of immigration have been higher on average in 2019 than in any prior year. The 20% average to date compares with 14% in 2018, and no more than 10% in any other year.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/259103/...t-problem.aspx

What is your candidate's stance on immigration? Do they favor an open border?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    Please, tell us which candidates support an open border?

This is a great reminder that even in this era of racist fearmongering and open bigotry, the vast majority of the country knows there are many far more important issues than immigration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Immigration is a problem. Its a stupid scapegoat that a particular party uses for votes.

Scare a few people about the invading brown boogeyman and you secured a decent number of votes.

When in doubt use fear.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Of course immigration is a problem. Especially the way children of immigrants are put into concentration camps to die of typhus like Anne Frank.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hmm so the mentions peak about 1,5 to 2 years prior to a presidential election?

Say when do presidential election campaigns usually start?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Given that no problem seems to be presented and it’s just people saying they don’t like immigrants I see no problem.

Is Freefolk Hubcap with a different name?

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    Is Freefolk Hubcap with a different name?
    Yes. 10characters

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    no one that i know or heard want an open border, absolutely no one.

10+ Year Old Account
    My representative stands where any reasonable human being would stand, and they support regulated borders and LEGAL entry. That being said my representative also supports speed zones and speed limits too.

The difference being that just because people break the law like speeding, I don't think it's ok to give speeders a warning and if they get caught again or distracted driving to take them out back shoot them behind the ears.

Just like I am against people entering the fucking country illegally, but I am not ok with arresting people we already have known have been here, and punishing them with inhumane conditions after we failed to do whatever on our part to not enable the situation the way it is.

The fact we are doing what we are doing is unfucking unconscionable, its racist as fuck and the only reason it is happening is because of the shade and color of the skin of both those coming across and those afraid of what might happen when they do.

So just like the Muslim ban and I have no special love for Islam at all, but I am not about to fucking be fooled that suddenly Trumpsters or Trump gives a fucking flying shit about the border, religious freedoms or the safety of this country, it's pure racism simple as that.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I mean, this is to be expected when conservative media has been yelling about it louder than ever before in history, despite numbers showing crossings over the last decade have been the lowest since the 70s.

It would help if responsible politicians of that party would point out that you're more likely to get hit by a vending machine falling from the roof of a highrise than for an illegal immigrant to have any meaningful impact on your life.

I haven't seen anyone for open boarder. Mostly just anti concentration camps. Very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    I mean, this is to be expected when conservative media has been yelling about it louder than ever before in history, despite numbers showing crossings over the last decade have been the lowest since the 70s.

It would help if responsible politicians of that party would point out that you're more likely to get hit by a vending machine falling from the roof of a highrise than for an illegal immigrant to have any meaningful impact on your life.
    It was high last year because of the contraction camps. They didn't really list the reason in the article.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallup
    Notably, two-thirds of Americans who identify immigration as the most important problem still believe it is a good thing for the country.

Democrats (87%) are much more likely than Republicans (62%) to say immigration is a good thing, with 78% of independents holding that view.
    Not much to infer from it being considered the “most important problem” (and it’s not even that - “government” is... whatever that means) it includes both extremes. I’d prefer a poll that asks what we should do about it rather than pointing at something and saying “yup, somethings wrong”
    Last edited by Noxx79; 2019-06-24 at 04:40 PM.

No candidates do that I'm aware of. This seems like a bad-faith start to a thread.

Would be interesting to see a party breakdown for this poll, because I'd be willing to put money on this increase being driven almost purely by one party.

7+ Year Old Account
    Looks to me as if immigration while high (#2) at 23% it isn't actually the top. The top is actually "Government/Poor Leadership" at 26%. Also the statistic seems just based on mentions of immigration. Not pro or anti immigration. Just immigration mentions as a whole. Of course each side will try and spin it as their gotcha card that a majority of americans agree with their side.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No candidates do that I'm aware of. This seems like a bad-faith start to a thread.

Would be interesting to see a party breakdown for this poll, because I'd be willing to put money on this increase being driven almost purely by one party.
    Why would you say that? Both parties are concerned with immigration. One about it happening at all, the other about the atrocities that are being committed by the US in an effort to curtail it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Why would you say that? Both parties are concerned with immigration. One about it happening at all, the other about the atrocities that are being committed by the US in an effort to curtail it.
    True, my post was a bit off in terms of context. It's Republicans making this an issue, and Democrats are responding to this by elevating the issues status in response to the deplorable events and conditions that keep making headlines as a result of the current administrations policies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I've yet to see anyone of note, in a notable position, actually want unrestricted open borders.
    The far left (in the US context) has adopted the following positions on immigration:

- Abolishing ICE
    - Ending immigrant detention.
    - Ending deportations for illegal entry (IE: no one can be deported for simply being in the country illegally, not just DACA recipients, everyone).
    - Path to citizenship for all undocumented migrants.

AOC, Elizabeth Warren, Bill de Blasio, to name a few off the top of my head, have all advocated those positions.

How is eliminating one border enforcement agency entirely, making the other one essentially useless since it can't detain anyone for illegal entry, neither punishing nor deporting people for illegal entry, and eventually naturalizing all undocumented migrants... Not functionally an open border? Please explain.