Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That's quite the claim, eh? The only reason that one would say that they actually own what they own is because they're a thief. Laid bare, that's quite striking.
    That's not what I said. Here's what I said (that I know you read because you quoted it).

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    The only reason one would offended at the idea of defending their position is because they know their position is illegitimate. You have no inclination to defend your ownership because you’re a thief. You taking umbrage with the idea of defending the legitimacy of your worldview is all the proof anyone needs of its illegitimacy.
    Now apologize for lying.

I get that you might be obsessed with your identity, but I'm actually not. Such is life. I really don't have any idea who you are from an identity perspective
    Please. As though your disdain for me isn't primarily motivated by my identity.

I usually try to focus on arguments that are actually arguments rather than arguments from identity.
    You've been spending the entire day trying to explain why making arguments is beneath you.

On the other hand, if your entire point is that everyone should know that you're Jewish because your bring it up constantly, that's actually kind of funny.
    Uh, that was never my entire point. I was bring up anti-semitic violence to demonstrate how the right's claims of concerns about public safety are fraudulent.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    That's not what I said. Here's what I said (that I know you read because you quoted it).

Now apologize for lying.

Please. As though your disdain for me isn't primarily motivated by my identity.

You've been spending the entire day trying to explain why making arguments is beneath you.

Uh, that was never my entire point. I was bring up anti-semitic violence to demonstrate how the right's claims of concerns about public safety are fraudulent.
    I don't really enjoy the fragmented sentences thing, so I'm going to pass on that sort of approach. I'm in favor of fully prosecuting any and all anti-Semitic crimes. I don't actually need to defend why I what I've earned is actually a set of things I've owned. I'm going to settle for stating that your certainty that I'm as obsessed with your identity as you are is a weird sort of narcissism that says a lot more about you than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Apologies for not remembering who posted this last week:

https://twitter.com/ECMcLaughlin/sta...92168663224321

At one point...the GOP might have been argument...a few years ago.
    Fucking hell. I volunteer at a dog pound. Needless to say, for these animals, we manage to keep "running water, covers, tarps, care, and safety from the elements". I don't think asking the same or more for human beings is a tall order.

5+ Year Old Account
    Holy hyperbole..n mods in on it too...

It's just moments away from someone calling arresting illegals for a holocaust...

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-pence-...itions-1445569

Good job undercutting your own DOJ, Mike Pence. Literally days after they sent a lawyer out to the firing line to argue that toothbrushes and soap were not needed for "safe and sanitary" conditions.

Good job, Mike Pence. At least he pretends to be a decent human being.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Almost like she was sent out to push the nonsense about them not deserving basic stuff so that he could swoop in and look like a hero. Right from Trump's playbook.
    Not at all. Pence isn't one for grandstanding, and Trump would never let someone, especially his VP (who is beneath him) hog the limelight when it could be his.

This is Pence just saying dumb shit because nobody pretending to be a decent human being can say that soap and toothpaste isn't needed for "safe and sanitary" conditions.

Hell, the captain that was kidnapped by Somali pirates even chimed in that they provided him with both while they were holding him fucking hostage.

7+ Year Old Account
    Is enforcing the law a valid reelection strategy? Tune in at 7 for details.

https://apnews.com/a7a9acc4c6a546829a258e008d10d705

Good news. After being publicly shamed for functionally neglecting and endangering the lives of kids, including 4 toddlers that were sent to the ER following visits from lawyers, the Trump administration is moving kids out of centers where they're functionally being left to die.

It's a wonder why these concentration camps work so hard to deny access to lawyers and lawmakers without time to clean up and stage the centers so they don't look like they're functionally leaving kids to die and fend for themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

How bad are things for the kids in these concentration camps? Pretty bad, apparently.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...s-14038137.php

"I've been down there throughout my 15 years in Congress and before that, as a federal prosecutor. This is the worst I've ever seen it, and it has to be taken care of," McCaul said on CBS's "Face the Nation."
    He's a Republican Representative from Texas, so this isn't the first time he's faced this type of issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://apnews.com/a7a9acc4c6a546829a258e008d10d705

Good news. After being publicly shamed for functionally neglecting and endangering the lives of kids, including 4 toddlers that were sent to the ER following visits from lawyers, the Trump administration is moving kids out of centers where they're functionally being left to die.
    Moved where?

Border Patrol officials would not answer questions about the conditions at new facility where the children are being detained.

It's good to know one day in the future, people will read history books about how America had concentration camps and yet was not invaded by countries that saw all those horrible inhuman atrocities happening and knew it was wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Moved where?

Border Patrol officials would not answer questions about the conditions at new facility where the children are being detained.
    If I had to guess... based on all the projecting Trump has been doing... I’d check pizza place basements around where Trump staff lives.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    There always needs to be a bogeyman to scare the proles. Trump is just rehashing brown people with calves the size of cantalopes bringing in drugs, diseases and killing and raping our white wimens and Iranian moose lambs sploding buildings in backwater middle of no where kansas again since it worked last time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Moved where?

More than likely another concentration camp, but this time away from prying eyes.

Judges were less than amused

As a Trump administration lawyer made her argument in favor of reversing a ruling that found the government had violated standards for detaining migrant children set forth by a 1990s court settlement, the judges on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals were visibly stunned.

"Are you really going stand up and tell us that being able to sleep isn't a question of safe and sanitary conditions?" Judge Marsha Berzon asked Sarah Fabian, the career Justice Department attorney representing the administration.

"I find that inconceivable that the government would say that that is safe and sanitary," Judge William Fletcher weighed in.

"It's within everybody's common understanding: If you don't have a toothbrush, if you don't have soap, if you don't have a blanket, it's not safe and sanitary. Wouldn't everybody agree to that? Do you agree to that?" Judge Wallace Tashima asked when it was his turn to press Fabian.

In 2017, U.S. District Court Judge Dolly Gee reviewed several accounts from minors and their parents of living conditions in Customs and Border Protection (CBP) facilities during the Obama administration. She found the government had not provided migrant minors "safe and sanitary" living conditions. Facilities near the U.S.-Mexico were overcrowded and the children living in them did not have access to toothbrushes and soap, could not sleep because of the cold and were not given enough food. Gee also ordered the creation of an independent monitor to ensure the government adhered to the Flores agreement.

The Trump administration has appealed Gee's ruling to the Ninth Circuit and essentially accused the lower court judge of legislating from the bench by ruling that the government should — among other things — provide migrant children in its custody toothbrushes and soap. The administration's contends that Gee modified the Flores agreement with her order, as the text of the settlement does not include word-for-word references to "soap" or "toothbrushes."

That's what Fabian, the Justice Department lawyer, was arguing in front of three incredulous judges in a California courtroom last week. She and the government want the Ninth Circuit — a liberal-leaning court which has repeatedly ruled against the current administration — to reverse Gee's ruling.

In her argument to the court, Fabian conceded that the sleeping conditions were the most "difficult end" of her legal argument but she nevertheless contended that the section on "safe and sanitary" conditions in the Flores agreement was left vague because "the parties couldn't reach an agreement on how to enumerate that or that it was left to the agencies to determine."

But, Fletcher, one of the judges, quickly interjected, "Or it was relatively obvious."

He, along with his colleagues, stressed that even if the agreement didn't specifically list products like soap and toothbrushes — along with a conducive environment to sound sleeping — these items are instrumental to "safe and sanitary" conditions. Fletcher noted that migrants were not asking for special products like "perfumed soap," but just basic items like a warm blanket.

"It may be they don't get super-thread-count Egyptian linen, I get that," he told Fabian.

------------------

Lot of tongue-in-cheek from the judges.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    From what I've gathered, this is from a challenge to a court decision stemming from alleged infractions in 2015 by the CBP under the Obama administration of the Flores Act. Sarah Fabian is a career attorney for the Department of Justice and was arguing this case not from the standpoint of a Trump administration official, but as a career attorney for the Department of Justice. Basically in 2015 a judge found that the CBP had violated the "safe and sanitary" requirements by not providing toothbrushes, soap, or beds. It finally made it's way to a ruling in 2017, and the widely-shared clip is of a challenge to that 2017 ruling.

TL;DR: This has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with a systematically overwhelmed and dysfunctional immigration system.

Trump lawyers are the ones arguing the case...

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Hell, the captain that was kidnapped by Somali pirates even chimed in that they provided him with both while they were holding him fucking hostage.
    At this point, while not on topic, this only goes to show that Somali pirates did not turn to piracy on a whim and have (at least some) basic human decency.

Somalian piracy as a modern phenomenon started after Somalia collapsed as a state in the 1990's. It meant that there was no one to protect Somalian territorial waters. Accordingly, Somalian fishermen found that 1) their stocks were preyed on by everyone around and, which is worse, 2) their waters became waste dumping grounds for South (and parts of East) Asia. So they were left with boats on account of being fishermen and weapons on account of living in a war-torn country. Piracy, at this point, is only logical as a consequence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    the widely-shared clip is of a challenge to that 2017 ruling.
    TL;DR: This has nothing to do with Trump
    Aside from the fact that Trump is challenging it precisely so these conditions can be used as a deterrent, right. Just like I'm sure blaming these concentration camps on "the system" is terribly convenient for you when asked how you reconcile your support for Trump with the US running concentration camps in which six children have died of neglect.

It's hilarious how the only time the right wing ever acknowledges systemic causes when they are trying to avoid personal responsibility. It's never racism, it's "economic anxiety". It's not a targeted campaign of brutalisation of asylum seekers, it's "a systemically overwhelmed and dysfunctional immigration system".

Is Republican morality just that flexible? Nah, I'd argue it's nonexistent. Case in point:

It is not, has never been, and will never be about "border security" or even the financial "burden" of immigration. It's a policy of white supremacy and you're eating it up.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2019-06-25 at 11:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It is not, has never been, and will never be about "border security" or even the financial "burden" of immigration. It's a policy of white supremacy and you're eating it up.
    Respect to the good people in Texas, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Respect to the good people in Texas, though.
    Very much so. But it's heartbreaking that their charity has to become an example of how this isn't an issue of money, but of ethics.

Children aren't being put in concentration camps because it's cheap. They're being put in concentration camps because the administration views them as subhuman and is using these conditions as a deterrent.

Also: For those still bitching about the use of the term "concentration camp", reminder that Anne Frank was not gassed to death but died of unsanitary conditions, specifically typhus.

Lucky there haven't been any lice outbreaks....oh, wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.