Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Here's the difference:

I don't give a shit about any of those games on xbox pass, same goes for origin access and other sub-based single player game stores, so it doesn't matter the price points are lower. Why would I care that something I don't like is cheaper than something I like?

Even if the sub price were to rise, I'd probably still continue paying, because of crazy number of hours of entertainment I get monthly out of it. As far as I'm concerned, the subf fee is a bargain for the fun I'm getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    $15 is also the price of 1 movie ticket. That's 2ish hours of entertainment in usually a bad seat.
    Also this. Some comparable things you can get for the sub fee just sound funny, if you compare it to like 100-150 hours a month of gameplay you can get.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2019-06-16 at 12:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Because there isn't any other option for an MMO. If Xbox raises its price too high, people just go to Sony, who already are dominating the current generation of consoles.

Xbox on the other hand have been the laughing stock of this generation - even Nintendo are releasing better exclusives.

Now look at the MMO market. What do you have? WoW, FF ... maybe BDO, GW2 and ESO?

So right off the bat, FF just looks and plays worse than WoW, which is i know hard to believe seeing as WoW is much older.

BDO appeals to two kinds of people - east asians and weebs.

GW2 has insane content drought and no traditional end game. Only people that play it are collectors/achievement hunters.

ESO is a Bethesda style RPG which have died faster than blockbuster in a post Witcher 3 world. Their RPGs simply don't stand up anymore. They're still using bows and arrows while everyone else is firing lazer guns at them.

On top of all of the above, lets look at the actual most important thing - perception. Hardly anyone even knows any of those games i listed exist. None besides WoW. Your parents know what WoW is. They probably don't even know what Final Fantasy is, let alone its MMO. The closest one in terms of sheer perception is ESO, but as ESO launched in such an abysmal state, it has become the same as pretty much every MMO besides WoW - a game attempting to climb out of a hole.

Don't know what i mean? Lets have a look through the years.

WoW - launches to enormous success.
    Aion - launches to immediate poor reception, likely closed?
    GW2 - launches to immediate poor reception, is now massively overhauled and has a somewhat decent endgame, but who is around to play it?
    Wildstar - launches to immediate poor reception, is now closed.
    ESO - launches to immediate poor reception, is in the same state as GW2.
    FF - same as GW2 and ESO.
    BDO - same as GW2, ESO and FF.
    SWTOR - same as GW2, ESO, FF and BDO.

If theres one thing that is a near guaranteed thing, its that a product almost never gets a comeback story. Nobody cares that Heroes of the Storm right now is a great game. Nobody cares that Heart of the Swarm got balanced and is not just cheese now. No one cares that Halo got better after its low point.

It takes extreme amounts of marketing and overhaul in order to revitalize a product. An example of this is Resident Evil. Most people would say Resident Evil was dead after the 5th game. It just became a shitty action game - zero horror. Now its back and better than ever and YOU know about it, because they marketed the fuck out of it.

Who is going to give a marketing budget to BDO or SWTOR or ESO? No one. No one cares if they're good or bad. People *think* they are bad and thats that.

So, all of this is a round about way of saying - WoW can milk your wallet because it has a monopoly. If you aren't playing WoW, you aren't playing MMOs.
    You're forgetting LotRO and Anarchy Online, which fit right in with your list, but most importantly, the most advanced MMO ever and launched before WoW, in 2003, and that is EVE. It's just too hardcore and actually requires thinking, so it's not AS populated.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

That 14.99$ is dropping in value every year, since they have never increased the fee.

Base on inflation, the 14.99$ right now means 18.67$ back in 2006.

So the sub is 25% less than it was at launch.

I haven't spent a dime on WoW since they released WoW tokens.

Last I checked, Xbox does not have any way to earn your subscription from simply playing their games.

Therefore, Xbox sucks.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    Because it's Blizzard, Activision-Blizzard mind you. Don't expect this to change anytime soon. Microsoft wants to pave the way as an innovator, Blizzard rather wanna milk their customer base.
    lol What has "Activision-Blizzard got to do with any of this. the merger was 9 years ago! wow was still $15.00 per month before the merger.

-----------

To op your not playing xbox for 6 hours a day your playing wow and there are other options to earn in the game to pay for your time so just do that if you can't/or won't pay $15.00. Also it hasn't gotten to expensive in other regions I remember when we couldn't use a card online here in Australia and had to buy two month cards at $40.00 we now pay $16.50 which is affordable for you're "main game"

Quote Originally Posted by lappee View Post
    What you found the post to be doesn't remove the fact that it is a way of changing peoples minds, whether its about changing consumer mind about purchasing it or the companys mind about pricing is irrelevant as is the matter of intent.

Simply if it wasn't a fact you could show it to be false, but you can't. You have your own view on it, and while that view doesn't directly support the fact it also doesn't disprove it in any way. So yeah, I'm careful with facts.
    Just keep running in circles its funny

With the game decreasing in popularity, it wouldn't surprise me if they went free-to-play either next expansion or the one after.

Not only would it likely attract more people, but they'd also likely INCREASE their income by removing it and adding a more diverse shop in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Unsub? There you go, fixed your issue. It literally has an option when you unsub to give a reason why.
    I'm amazed that grown adults have to ask here whether they should unsub or not. :P
    One would think it should be based off a personal opinion. You enjoy it...stay subbed. You don't enjoy it, either unsub or stop whining and do something else.
    Players can check wowhead, ptrs..etc to see if the new expac/patch is to their liking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    With the game decreasing in popularity, it wouldn't surprise me if they went free-to-play either next expansion or the one after.

Not only would it likely attract more people, but they'd also likely INCREASE their income by removing it and adding a more diverse shop in its place.
    Statistics show that FTP models with microtransactions make more than PTP games. I'm sure making wow ftp has been talked about at blizzvision.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

I pad $15 for Ultima Online if I remember correctly, and that was years before wow.

$15/mo is totally fine by me as long as it keeps it from becoming a P2W game.

Honestly it's not that much money for a game that has remained pretty damn good for 15 years.

It might just be my preference in games, but the games offered in Xbox PC Pass are not going to keep me occupied as much as WoW does, and most of them are games I might play through once, if I even finish it, and be done with it forever.

WoW is a different game. I don't think it's fair to compare it to a game service like that.

Quote Originally Posted by HitRefresh View Post
    $15/mo is totally fine by me as long as it keeps it from becoming a P2W game.

Honestly it's not that much money for a game that has remained pretty damn good for 15 years.

It might just be my preference in games, but the games offered in Xbox PC Pass are not going to keep me occupied as much as WoW does, and most of them are games I might play through once, if I even finish it, and be done with it forever.

WoW is a different game. I don't think it's fair to compare it to a game service like that.
    It pretty much is P2W, and the game hasn't been good for a few expansions now..

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Xbox's latest PC Pass has over 100 games on offer for a $4.99 a month subscription. Meanwhile Blizzard is still charging $14.99 a month for WoW. To rub salt into the wound, WoW's subscription prices have even gone up over the years in some regions.

How can Blizzard justify these monthly subscription prices in 2019 when other gaming companies are providing much more for a far cheaper monthly subscription fee? Blizzard needs to provide much more at a lower subscription price if it wants to remain competitive in the 2019 gaming market. Blizzard is never going to get any new players at $14.99 a month when they can simply subscribe to cheaper options and get far more.
    Does Blizzard also sell a 200-400 dollar console? Does Blizzard offer countless games that SOMEONE has an interest in? Does Blizzard also produce an operating system that is installed on a vast majority of home and business computers? No? Then it makes sense. Microsoft has a considerably larger potential buyer-base than Blizzard does, and thus, they can eat the costs of a $5 subscription game service. It's extremely logical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me of good old days of Chinese games for sega in Russia, when you could buy a mortal kombat 3, or a "1000 games in 1!" cartridge for the same cost. Except those "1000 games in 1!" usually were glorified tetris reskins
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    It pretty much is P2W, and the game hasn't been good for a few expansions now..
    In what reality is WoW even remotely Pay to Win? If you do even the most modest amount of content, you have more than enough resources to pay for your consumables, and the gear you can get in the auction house is extremely limited.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    In what reality is WoW even remotely Pay to Win? If you do even the most modest amount of content, you have more than enough resources to pay for your consumables, and the gear you can get in the auction house is extremely limited.
    WoW doesn't have an endgoal, you make it yourself. If your endgoal is to obtain 17 mageweave - you can buy it and call the game "pay to win" with a straight face, because you made your own arbitrary endgoal and finished it by... paying, for example via token gold. /s

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What benefit would they be getting from eating said cost?
    People would buy their service, instead of going to sony or something
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    And what benefit does that give them? More lost money? Unless it leads to a profit in some way they aren’t going to eat a cost.
    People... will use their service. If their service costs 15$ and their competitors service costs 5$ - people won't be buying 15$ service that gives you the same shit - a bunch of games with weird limitations.

How are they even losing money by feeding their own market and making loyal fat consumers?

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    I have a guild mate who buys Mythic carries as well as Pvp carries. Plus he was always buying the Guilds BoEs drops for his main and 1 alt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    I have a guild mate who buys Mythic carries as well as Pvp carries. Plus he was always buying the Guilds BoEs drops for his main and 1 alt.
    Basically he pays to skip the "playing" part. As in "pay to skip", except there is nowhere to skip to.

10+ Year Old Account
    The supposition was that they’d be eating the cost of each sub. Having more people subbed means more cost being eaten. That isn’t a benefit in any way shape or form. So, again, what benefit is derived from eating subs? More users is a negative as it means more overhead to maintain said service.
    You are moving goalposts here, benefit of "eating" any cost in this case - exposure of consumers to other MS products. They are building their own market, companies go out of their own way to build reliable markets (ever heard about "uplifting" (read: "charity") 3rd world countries in order to establish economy and send them your goods to buy?). Having a shitty subscription for "yeah, i mean it's pocket change" cost for MS is beneficial, even if they "eat cost" by providing this service for less money, because more people will subscribe this way. If they'll rack up the cost - people will be concerned about spending more.

More users (as in - bigger market to sell your goods) is almost always a positive. Spending a little to earn a lot is business 101

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Basically he pays to skip the "playing" part. As in "pay to skip", except there is nowhere to skip to.
    He pays to skip these kinds of hassles and probably brags to someone outside of the guild with how good he is. I never asked why especially considering he does everything else..