Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...mpression=true

There you have it folks! The spineless Democrats cave again. Business as usual.

So l the Dem spokesman/leader said its dead because not enough votes. In the article it's not clear what this statement means, except possibly some Democrats withdrew their vote and decide to give in to Republicans.

I'm not an Oregon resident, but this very frustrating.
    This is why Democrats suck at politics.

Want to not suck at politics? Shut the Legislature down until Republicans return, and run non-stop ads starting now eviscerating the Republican Senators for literally fleeing the state to avoid doing their jobs.

Democrats need to hire some god-damned Republican strategists to teach them how to bare knuckle brawl, because they're still playing with fucking kid gloves. This has been my long-standing problem with the Democratic party, they're a bunch of fucking spineless wimps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Fleeing to state to deny quorum is not illegal and from what I can tell in legal grey area.
    Actually, it is by state law. Hence why the governor sent out law enforcement to try to bring them back to do their jobs. The problem is they fled the state, so Oregon law enforcement doesn't have jurisdiction to bring them back.

So you lost there... besides the democrats have done this before and I applauded them for doing it then as well.
    It was bullshit the one time they did it, just as it's bullshit the few times Republicans have done it. This is not how effective, functional legislatures work.

Right now Oregon Republicans are just asking this to be put on the ballot which is what the majority of Oregonians want.
    Citation needed*

So sounds like they are acting in the best interest of Oregonians.
    That's not their job. Their job is to represent their constituents within their districts, not those from other districts.

Sounds like the republicans did their job. Voters turned down the bus tax last year and the state still passed it anyways.

Right now most Oregonians do not want the new HB2020 fuel tax; so the Repubicans did what they had to to deny it. I am praising them for getting it blocked as are most of rural America and businesses. It will likely be put on the ballot and will hopefully fail.

I just can't believe how partisan people are tehse days. It doesn't matter the damage it causes because party X is always fucking right.
    Honestly, it doesn't matter people often do not want taxes and what not, that in the end benefit society at large.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who says I wanted either of these? When it comes to any tax increases, it should ALWAYS be up to a vote by the people.
    Who the hell would ever vote "Yes, I want to pay more taxes?". Taxes are rather necessary part of governance, as distasteful as it is to pay them. But to put it to a popular poll would mean instant bankruptcy, because nobody wants to pay taxes.

And sometimes, it is necessary to raise them, like I feel is what's going to happen, seeing all these wonderful results from Team Trump.
    Last edited by Santti; 2019-06-26 at 01:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Fleeing to state to deny quorum is not illegal and from what I can tell in legal grey area. So you lost there... besides the democrats have done this before and I applauded them for doing it then as well.

Right now Oregon Republicans are just asking this to be put on the ballot which is what the majority of Oregonians want. So sounds like they are acting in the best interest of Oregonians.
    The problem wasn't the Republicans denying quorom. The problem was them aligning with terrorist cells and threatening a fascist coup.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...mpression=true

There you have it folks! The spineless Democrats cave again. Business as usual.

So l the Dem spokesman/leader said its dead because not enough votes. In the article it's not clear what this statement means, except possibly some Democrats withdrew their vote and decide to give in to Republicans.

I'm not an Oregon resident, but this very frustrating.
    Yeah, Dems just gave the GOP carte blanc to stage a new March on Rome in 2020 (or 2023). Should have just gone Ruby Ridge on their asses.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    So they think acting like a coward and having a nonfunctional state government is "good" for their constituency?
    In this case, absolutely it is better to have a nonfunctional state government. No government is better than harmful government.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Want to not suck at politics? Shut the Legislature down until Republicans return, and run non-stop ads starting now eviscerating the Republican Senators for literally fleeing the state to avoid doing their jobs.

Democrats need to hire some god-damned Republican strategists to teach them how to bare knuckle brawl, because they're still playing with fucking kid gloves. This has been my long-standing problem with the Democratic party, they're a bunch of fucking spineless wimps.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, it is by state law. Hence why the governor sent out law enforcement to try to bring them back to do their jobs. The problem is they fled the state, so Oregon law enforcement doesn't have jurisdiction to bring them back.

It was bullshit the one time they did it, just as it's bullshit the few times Republicans have done it. This is not how effective, functional legislatures work.

Citation needed*

That's not their job. Their job is to represent their constituents within their districts, not those from other districts.
    Its not illegal for them to not be there, it is however legal for the majority party to compel them to be there.

They DID act in the best interests of their constituents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    In this case, absolutely it is better to have a nonfunctional state government. No government is better than harmful government.
    In what way is what the government doing "harmful?" And don't give me that "oh boo hoo taxation" claptrap; taxes have been and are a crucial functioning of governance.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

And WHO gets to decide when it's harmful? Sounds to me this is completely arbitrary.

Just pout and don't do your job as an elected official. Hopefully it doesn't catch on in the House and Senate. Just sets a precedent of whenever any bill comes out that the minority party doesn't like, just leave and kill the legislative session entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by We are covfefe View Post
    Just pout and don't do your job as an elected official. Hopefully it doesn't catch on in the House and Senate. Just sets a precedent of whenever any bill comes out that the minority party doesn't like, just leave and kill the legislative session entirely.
    That's all the GOP is good for, obstruction. They don't know how to govern, even when they're in power. They held the presidency, the house and the senate for 2 years and they didn't accomplish a damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Citation needed*

What pisses me off is that this is the second time, they just did this a month ago and Democrats then gave up

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    What pisses me off is that this is the second time, they just did this a month ago and Democrats then gave up
    Part of the reason why they walked out the first time was because of the new Gross Receipts tax that passed. Voters turned it down 6-4 but the state passed essentially the same thing in defiance.

There are still important bills to be passed before the session ends on the 30th, so I hope the democrats can at least negotiate with the Republicans. But right now nobody trusts them and this just shows the failed leadership under the current Governor.

FYI Constituents = Oregonians. So passing new taxes under their best interests is a bunch of bull shit.

r/The_Donald finally got themselves quarantined due to threats about this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Who the hell would ever vote "Yes, I want to pay more taxes?".
    California likes to.
    $2 increase to cigarette tax.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1340PT

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    California likes to.
    $2 increase to cigarette tax.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1340PT
    Oh, I should have thought of that.

Indeed, us Finns too are largely on board to tax the shit out of it. Same with alcohol, but I'm not so sure how popular that would be, if we would continue with the theme of taxing based on if the majority would want that. We are heavy drinkers, so I'm going to assume alcohol taxes wouldn't ever be raised based on polling the populace.

Either way, you are not running a country with just taxes that majority would be willing to pay.
    Last edited by Santti; 2019-06-27 at 12:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    And WHO gets to decide when it's harmful? Sounds to me this is completely arbitrary.
    Those being harmed.

Those being harmed.
    Again, arbitrary. Some do not consider themselves to be harmed by this.

Those being harmed.
    The lack of a functioning government and passing a law that provides long term benefits to the state is causing harm.

Why is harm defined by what you're okay with and fuck everyone else regardless of actual harm done?
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    r/The_Donald finally got themselves quarantined due to threats about this situation.
    True, and there's a separate thread for it. Let's keep T_D discussion quarantined in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    True, and there's a separate thread for it. Let's keep T_D discussion quarantined in that one.
    Yep, Hubcap created the thread after my post.

But yes, keep it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Who the hell would ever vote "Yes, I want to pay more taxes?". Taxes are rather necessary part of governance, as distasteful as it is to pay them. But to put it to a popular poll would mean instant bankruptcy, because nobody wants to pay taxes.

And sometimes, it is necessary to raise them, like I feel is what's going to happen, seeing all these wonderful results from Team Trump.
    I grew up in a city in Michigan that was voted the best place to live shortly after I graduated HS. We had some of the best schools in the nation, wages were good, home values were going up. It was all good until 200ish. Millage after millage that would have improved and modernized the schools, made them more competitive in a school of choice state we had become kept getting voted down. The head of the city council wrote an OP-ED in the local paper calling for all empty nesters to sell their homes and move out because she felt all the old boomers without kids were refusing to vote for those taxes. My buddy who worked for the paper did some research and found out that it was the younger people with kids that were the ones not voting for the millages.

Not a boomers are great issue, just that most people in general would never vote for a tax increase to fix something, then turn around and bitch about that something not working.