Overwatch is WoW 2.0 (confirmed)

According to Mike Morhaime: “Titan is an exception to that where we wanted it to be our next generation, our sequel to sort of World of Warcraft. We took a lot of our senior developers and put them on this project. And I think where we really failed was we failed to control scope. It was very ambitious.”

Here is full article posted by VG 24/7: https://www.vg247.com/2019/06/26/wor...control-scope/

If you remember there was so much hype few years back of Blizzard working on next-gen MMO or WoW 2.0 as some people were calling it. According to Mike Morhaime the project was cancelled and eventually became Overwatch in 2016.

What does this mean for us gamers waiting for the next big MMO from Blizzard? We know for a fact that developing large scale AAA titles like MMOs takes years so if they are indeed working on the next MMO right now the game won't be out any time soon which is a huge let down. Can Blizzard keep remaining playerbase with WoW until then remains a big question mark.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Title is misleading. You meant to say "Overwatch was Titan, which was meant to be an MMO on the scale of WoW." Which has been known for a while.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    According to Mike Morhaime: “Titan is an exception to that where we wanted it to be our next generation, our sequel to sort of World of Warcraft. We took a lot of our senior developers and put them on this project. And I think where we really failed was we failed to control scope. It was very ambitious.”

Here is full article posted by VG 24/7: https://www.vg247.com/2019/06/26/wor...control-scope/

If you remember there was so much hype few years back of Blizzard working on next-gen MMO or WoW 2.0 as some people were calling it. According to Mike Morhaime the project was cancelled and eventually became Overwatch in 2016.

What does this mean for us gamers waiting for the next big MMO from Blizzard? We know for a fact that developing large scale AAA titles like MMOs takes years so if they are indeed working on the next MMO right now the game won't be out any time soon which is a huge let down. Can Blizzard keep remaining playerbase with WoW until then remains a big question mark.
    This doesn't confirm overwatch being a sequel to wow. They were internally developing another mmo and the project was cancelled and shifted to an fps.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    What does this mean for us gamers waiting for the next big MMO from Blizzard?
    You, the "gamers", will have to learn this same lesson again and again it seens.

WoW 2 is a myth. An utopic wish.

Do not keep waiting for it. Experience all the other excellent new games instead, if you want to feel the excitement that you felt when WoW launched.

MMOs are a dead genre. Until something like well-integrated and affordable VR comes along to spice it up, they won't be successful and nobody is going to be making more of them.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    Title is misleading. You meant to say "Overwatch was Titan, which was meant to be an MMO on the scale of WoW." Which has been known for a while.
    correct what we called WoW 2.0 or Titan as mentioned in the article became Overwatch, pretty much officially confirmed by Mike.

There isn't going to be one. WoW is a 'keeping the lights on' factory process. They aren't building another factory when they can make an overwatch instead for a pittance of the cost and sell lootboxes to rubes and make far more for far less.

MMORPGs are too expensive to make and maintain, plain and simple. They rely on massive worlds and constant content updates, while at the same time consumers are moving away from subscription models and free-to-play games are thriving. Those two don't mix well. Not to mention that everyone wants to get into esports as well, and MMOs don't lend themselves terribly well to that either.

10+ Year Old Account
    correct what we called WoW 2.0 or Titan as mentioned in the article became Overwatch, pretty much officially confirmed by Mike.
    Yeah, it was confirmed when overwatch was announced at blizzcon that it used to be Titan... Welcome to several years ago.

And on the "WoW 2.0" thing, no, WoW 2.0 was TBC, stop saying that. And it wasn't WoW 2 either, because it has nothing to do with warcraft.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2019-06-26 at 04:42 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

This is old news and yes, title is misleading, especially as there are rumors for an Overwatch 2.0 in the works.

Blizzard never made a secret that Titan was supposed to be an MMO and they changed their minds, turning it into the multiplayer format Overwatch. Luckily it still became a success (i never played it though).

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    No, it is not WoW 2.0. That would imply Titan is a sequel or even related to WoW at all. Titan was just going to be an MMO of the same size and scope of WoW, not WoW 2. That's what misleading about the title, it implies Titan was a sequel to WoW.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

NOBODY thought "titan" was wow 2.0, we knew it was an FPSMMO and a few asset screenshots leaked on digitalcastration (this is when they went after that guy with their lawyer army, hacked him, sued him, etc)

we've known for years now that overwatch got a ton of those assets

we also know that overwatch 2 is going to be the PVE part of that same project

they just split titan up into 2 games basically, but none of it had anythign to do with wow

They have said several times Overwatch came, in part, from the ashes of Titan. The best example is Tracer or whatever that character is called. There is a huge difference between taking ideas and inspiration from a failed project and rolling it into another and saying Overwatch is WoW 2.0. This is all very old information Kaplan has talked about it several times.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account

Nearly all of this is known and ancient history at this point. I'm sorry you're disappointed that Blizzard isn't going to building another big MMO but Morhaime said as much a few years ago.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "I wouldn't say no to ever doing an MMO again," Morhaime said. "But I can say that right now, that's not where we want to be spending our time."
    MMO's other than WoW have pretty much all failed to live up to expectations, are expensive to produce, and the return on investment can take many years. Perhaps Brack and the management team has different ideas. Time will tell. Meanwhile, there's Classic which may or may not lead some sort of revival of the MMO genre. That seems unlikely but stranger things have happened.

Finally, no one who was paying attention to the development of Titan was under the impression that it was a sequel to WoW. I don't know where you got that idea. That was never a thing.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Yeah, it was confirmed when overwatch was announced at blizzcon that it used to be Titan... Welcome to several years ago.
    Yes, you are absolutely right, just wanted to share the article that I think gives more insight on why the original MMO project, a successor to WoW, failed and eventually got canned, from my understanding they went full stop not just because MMO genre is not where it used to be or that they already have a product but they failed on managing such a huge endeavour as well according to Mike.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, you are absolutely right, just wanted to share the article that I think gives more insight on why the original MMO project, a successor to WoW, failed and eventually got canned, from my understanding they went full stop not just because MMO genre is not where it used to be or that they already have a product but they failed on managing such a huge endeavour as well according to Mike.
    This the main point: that they failed to control the scope.
    That’s according to ex-Blizzard boss Mike Morhaime, who revealed that although unrelated to the same universe, Titan was considered a “sequel” to World of Warcraft internally as it was so ambitious.
    Since that quote from the very short article directly contradicts that Overwatch/Titan was intended to be what most site users think of as WoW 2.0 that makes the thread title extremely misleading so I will close this at this point.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."