Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Congrats? The US wins the "Not as big a dick as you could have been" award?

It fundamentally disproves your statement that it is "not our problem". Immigration to the US is the result of the US' policies, and it is absolutely typical that the party of "personal responsibility" isn't willing to take any in terms of paying for the damage they've been complicit in inflicting.

How many Republicans take money from corporations that fund agriculture and other value extraction industries in Central America that contribute to the glut of asylum seekers, and then say there's insufficient funds to deal with the problem?

I think the fact that we didn't colonize Latin America is a big deal. Europe would've colonized it in a heartbeat and they have colonized French Guiana and Belize, but they would've colonized the whole thing. Chile, Argentina, Venezuela all would've been French or British colonies.

Or we could've colonize Latin America ourselves. We were nice enough not to.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    We were nice enough not to.
    Read the article so you can stop making ignorant posts. We weren't "nice" at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the fact that we didn't colonize Latin America is a big deal. Europe would've colonized it in a heartbeat and they have colonized French Guiana and Belize, but they would've colonized the whole thing. Chile, Argentina, Venezuela all would've been French or British colonies.

No, you were just too busy colonising North America, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Guam, etc.

Exactly what do you think the fuck Manifest Destiny was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Read the article so you can stop making ignorant posts. We weren't "nice" at all.
    In your opinion. Not colonizing someone is a nice thing to do.

No, you were just too busy colonising North America, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, Guam, etc.

Exactly what do you think the fuck Manifest Destiny was.

It wasn't about colonization, I can tell you that.

Compare us to other countries at the time. Why would you expect us to be saintly in 1840? I think we were well behaved in comparison to other countries at the time.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

So basically people should be thankful that we didn't kill them and take their land? That's pretty sad...

Did you read the article yet? Or are you still using your fanfiction version of US history that's not actually based on fact?

Because this is some pretty bad historical ignorance/whitewashing.

As a naturalized US citizen, it's truly stunning to me how ignorant some native borns are as regards their own country's history.

Simply incredible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm...

"The term manifest destiny was popularized by columnist John O’Sullivan, who penned an article in 1845 that denounced other nations for “limiting our greatness and checking the fulfillment of our manifest destiny to overspread the continent allotted by Providence for the free development of our yearly multiplying millions.”
    Looks like colonialism, sounds like colonialism...

Compare us to other countries at the time. Why would you expect us to be saintly in 1840? I think we were well behaved in comparison to other countries at the time.
    You weren't, and your aforementioned ignorance of American history demonstrates what "you think" to be worth less than nothing on this subject.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    As a naturalized US citizen, it's truly stunning to me how ignorant some native borns are as regards their own country's history.

Simply incredible.
    What on earth makes you think he's a native born American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Hm...

Looks like colonialism, sounds like colonialism...

You weren't, and your aforementioned ignorance of American history demonstrates what "you think" to be worth less than nothing on this subject.

We didn't colonize, we annexed.

annex[ verb uh-neks, an-eks; noun an-eks, -iks ]SHOW IPA
    EXAMPLES|WORD ORIGINSEE MORE SYNONYMS FOR annex ON THESAURUS.COM
    verb (used with object)
    to attach, append, or add, especially to something larger or more important.
    to incorporate (territory) into the domain of a city, country, or state:
    Germany annexed part of Czechoslovakia.
    to take or appropriate, especially without permission.
    to attach as an attribute, condition, or consequence.

Some of it we bought with gold, believe it or not. The Louisiana Purchase and Alaska for example. The "New Spain" part we won after fighting a war with Mexico, something a lot of countries did at the time, take land following a war.

I think we just sent an army into Florida and nobody protested so we annexed it too.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2019-06-26 at 05:26 PM.

-- Capt. Copeland

Sure if you can call a near genocide "well behaved". And we had all the slaves and such, and after that we had segregation and so on.
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2019-06-26 at 05:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why did people have to get Hubcap talking about history? You already know he makes everything up, why do you need to pain me so?
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    We didn't colonize, we annexed.
    Did you just call expansion of American colonies an annex, as some sort of defense that it want colonization?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Did you just call expansion of American colonies an annex, as some sort of defense that it want colonization?
    Not sure what your question is. We had won our independence by the time of the Louisiana Purchase, so America was no longer a colony of Britain.

And if you think not colonizing Latin America is a trifle, you should talk to Ireland about colonization.

-- Capt. Copeland

Not sure what your question is. We had won our independence by the time of the Louisiana Purchase, so America was no longer a colony of Britain.

And if you think not colonizing Latin America is a trifle, you should talk to Ireland about colonization.
    So, forcefully taking land and keeping it is good. Forcefully taking land, and allowing a puppet government is bad,

Got it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also the US didn't colonize the moon because we're so nice, you're welcome everyone.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account

Wait, wait wait wait.

Are you arguing that Spain and Portugal aren't part of Europe? That their colonial efforts, the entire reason the region is called "Latin America", were not colonial efforts?

That's fucking hilarious, even for you, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Wait, wait wait wait.

Are you arguing that Spain and Portugal aren't part of Europe? That their colonial efforts, the entire reason the region is called "Latin America", were not colonial efforts?

That's fucking hilarious, even for you, man.

Simon Bolivar is on the phone, he'd like to talk to you.

-- Capt. Copeland

Uh... didn't the confederacy colonize latin america? And don't we have a president who speaks very fondly of the confederacy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Simon Bolivar is on the phone, he'd like to talk to you.
    What are you even trying to say...?
    /s

So democrats should agree on adding money?